PDA

View Full Version : need tips for C G machine

Burning Head
2008-07-24, 06:29 PM
Hey RC bud:),I need some help with the C G.What is the best way to balance some of my plane:o.Is it to move the battery until balance or ...I dont think is to put some weight.I got 3 plane ready for verification except the C G.I no Where the C G on all wing and I got the machine. thanks

Eric Marchand
2008-07-24, 10:43 PM
An experienced flyer once told me there are 3 things to consider when it comes to model airplanes : Wing loading, wing loading, wing loading.

A light plane will require less power, less speed, less runway, less everything to fly well. That being said, you should do everything in your power (and patience) to avoid adding weight to your airplane. Move the battery, move the receiver, move the servos, use lighter control rods, use less paint, less covering, etc...

What I do when setting up an airplane is to install everything that needs to go in specific places, like engine, fuel tank, control rods, etc...Then tape the servos in their recommended positions, and try to balance the plane just by moving the battry and receiver around on top of the fuselage to places they will fit inside.

If that can't be acomplished, I look to see if I can move the servos forward or backwards, going as far as mounting servos in the tail to add rear CG and mounting the throtle servo in the nose to add forward CG. As a last resort, I will add weight at the very extremeties of the plane with things that will actually help, like a sturdier tail wheel assembly, or a heavy nose cone (helps with engine inertia, smoother idle), or an on-board glow igniter, etc...And if that's not enough, THEN I will add lead where I need it.

Remember to attach lead weights in a way they can't come off, glue and tape is not enough, use tie-wraps or screws. And don't forget to check your lateral CG, that will reduce the amount of aileron trim you may need, which would reduce your wing's efficiency.

Burning Head
2008-07-25, 08:51 AM
Thanks Eric,and I which you a nice week end after the bad rainning week we got.I still wait my SPK DX6i back orders trainer cord,I hope to get friday or nex week :D

Burning Head
2008-07-26, 02:07 PM
Hey chef:D,did you think I can plug a 12v AC charger and connect direct to a fast DC charger with they aligator plug or taped the cord, I will prefert to bring 4 lipo TP3c full charge then a big power suport.I just get the:)Thunder Power TP-610 charger balance discharge etc...but DC. For now:oI use my hold E sky 3c charger and during the charge I balance the bat with a smal TP self auto balencer.All this take 2h for 1 battery. thanks

Ronald Longtin
2008-07-26, 02:30 PM
A charger is not a power supply, and that is what you need. And the 12 volt batteries are not suited either, believe me I've tried.

Some people modify a computer power supply, but it's not so easy. The hobby shops and elecronics stores have power supplies of various capacity. I would suggest around 5 amps as a minimum. If you plan on using it a lot (with 2 chargers) then buy the biggest that is necessary

Burning Head
2008-07-27, 08:59 AM
Copy Ron,I just buy one on the net.Is the 20A from Hobbico.When I will make a turn at the club,I will use the weak but light Rascal ARF from Sig.I think it a trainer but with only elevateur and the rudder,no aileron...boff it will be ok,I hope:D