PDA

View Full Version : Thermal hunting in Puerto Vallarta...

AlixB
2007-02-28, 04:40 PM
Pinch me someone! I must be dreaming?

As I strolled by the beach, Esteban asked me:

Que pasa Alix? No ?plane? hoy?

_Hey, Hombre! Tengo que descansar de vez en cuando!
I answered.
(hey man, I have to rest from time to time!)

Life can barely get better than this.

Perfect weather everyday
No phone, cell or pager
No car
No watch
No schedule
No worry

I have been living in PV now for 90 days and have 60 days left before returning to Mtl.

My portable bipe is now equipped with a 2.4 Ghz DX6 has now over 300 flights under its belt and has proven to be the most capable and versatile plane I ever designed.

I modified the design to include body strakes for low speed stability, better tracking and added wing area. The results are just fantastic.

22inch wing span, 100g all up weight, 200g of thrust from a custom made 10g CDROM motor. Airline friendly package to boot. Yes, I did carry it on board with me!

Put the 250mah 2 cell pack for all out 3D.
Take out the removable LD gear and put in the 500 mah 2 cell and go thermal hunting for 15 minutes at 5000 feet (or higher if you have better eyesight than me_ The range of the DX6 is simply phenomenal)

All electronics are inside for a very clean platform.

A typical flight profile is to take off from the beach (being careful of the incoming waves!)
Go vertical to 100 feet. Do a few rolls, flips and flat spins to warm up the lipos.
Continue vertical to 4000 feet, close the motor.
Locate a comfortable spot to sit and let the airplane do the work using minimal rudder movement to save the batteries.
When bored, perform right spin, left spin, inverted spin left, invert spin right.
Harrier landing, motor off into the wind at my feet.
Collect the bravos from the locals and tourists.

Sounds fun? It really is.

To be continued?.

AlixB
2007-02-28, 04:42 PM
Definitely!

AlixB
2007-02-28, 04:47 PM
My best picture yet!

On a rare occasion that I had my digital camera.
I was sitting on a bench contemplating the ocean and then the perfect photo op.

beto9
2007-02-28, 04:55 PM
Hey, Alix... where are the photos of the se?oritas and mamacitas...
I can see that you are having a hard life... must be really looking forward to come back... Do not forget that here we have a special type of sand that is called "snow".

xed
2007-02-28, 05:50 PM
You know Alix, I'm betting you are on your way towards a permenant Mexican visa, you're just not admitting it yet!

:lol:

Shawn
2007-02-28, 05:58 PM
Alix, You should come back, we have great clean crisp, cold air for you to enjoy. The ground is covered with wonderfull white snow everywhere, it,s perfect. You must miss it so much. Do yourself a big favor and come home before you start into a deep, deep depresion.

pauldaigle
2007-03-01, 12:31 PM
Does the young lady in the photo have anything to do with the reason you are down there so long? Surely cant be the weather.

:yes:

How did you get that plane down there in one piece, or did you buy it there?

I'm going to Cuba in April and I doubt they have RC stores there, I never checked before.
Not sure if I bring something down it will make it in one piece, then again you are not allowed to bring in any radio equipment and not sure if the transmitter would be allowed in or out.

Oh well, at least they have good cigars. Maybe I'll bring a kite. Dohhh!:unibrow:

Enjoy your time down there, by the time you get back there will unfortunatly be no snow left. Too bad! Maybe I'll save a bit in the freezer for you, so you dont forget what it looks like.:wacky:

Hasta la vista Hombre!

AlixB
2007-03-01, 03:54 PM
Greg, I wish I had a permanent visa. Will be working on that FM3 next year.

I DO NOT miss the snow one bit, and yes I am falling in a deep depression of not having you guys overthere with me(yeah!!! sure!)

Alberto,
About the senoritas and mamacitas. Muchas, guapas, and muy buenas.
Life is soo-o-o tiring. I am doing all the testing for you?
I could write a book about the subject.
The ?rules of engagement? are quite different here.
It took me a while to figure everything out.
Let us just say that the casual foreigner would feel insulted by being totally ignored by the local ladies. It happens that most Mex ladies have a novio and are pretty exclusive.
To make matters worse by age 16 a lot of them have babies?
However?
Let us just say to stay within gents limits that once you get to know them they are very sweet and over affectionate?

Paul, the plane is a custom made unit that I made specially for travelling.
Have a good trip to Cuba.

b.t.w. I cannot answer one of your questions...

Dwight Macdonald
2007-03-01, 11:59 PM
Hey Alix! Nice to hear from you! I'm glad to know you're now able to get some serious flying done!

beto9
2007-03-02, 09:22 AM
Alix, when you mention thermal hunting... do you refer to updrafts of air to fly gliders or somebody to keep you warm?

AlixB
2007-03-03, 05:29 PM
Alberto,

You will never cease to amaze me with your sense of humor!

For those of you that think I am living on a millionaire budget, Think again.
I live on $20 per day ALL included.(I really mean All, Alberto :-)...)
I live in a mexican barrio at 1/20 the cost of the gringos (sorry all)
I get to mingle with the locals or the tourist at my choice.
Beach is 5 blocs away along with the city stadium and sport facilities.
I eat at the locals spots and the shrimps are fabulous.
The reality is that my expenses are less here than in Mtl during the winter.

AlixB
2007-03-03, 05:32 PM
The real thing.