PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand activity

bob forest
2007-03-05, 07:20 AM
Hi, got these pictures from Dick Murray who I fly with in the summer. Dick spends his winters in New Zealand, and just went to an RC event over there. He took these pictures, which I thought would be of great interest to our members. Look at their location, paved runways, rolling hills, what a set up.
Here is his email to me, which tells more of the story.Greetings Bob,
I'm sending these from my daughters computer because mine not working too well. I got to go to a local scale meet last weekend and got these pics. Most of the models were pretty ordinary except this Ziroli Beech 18. It flew very realistically with a pair of Zenoah engines, and was a joy to watch, as it was a nice sunny day and a beautiful site. He had some sort of on board airspeed indicator and he put on a very nice show. It alone was worth the one hour drive. There was also a midair collision, with lots of parts fluttering down but both models landed OK.
I had a Beech 18 of my own on my last Air Force station and I did a lot of solo flying with it. There are a handful, not easy to fly. It wasn't actually mine, it belonged to the RCAF but I was the only pilot on the station who would admit to being able to fly it. You got a lot of donkey work if you could so nobody else wanted it.
See you soon.
Dick

bob forest
2007-03-05, 07:22 AM
some of you know Dick, he is a retired Air Canada Captain.

stephane.savard
2007-03-05, 08:32 AM
That Beech is awesome! I'd really like to have a transport twin at one point, but not with that size engines, too much of an investment if an engine fails and you can't recover!

Dwight Macdonald
2007-03-05, 11:29 PM
I imagine the Beech had an interesting sound! I wonder what size the engines were ... gas is a great idea for a large plane ... much cheaper to run than glow.

bob forest
2007-03-06, 09:14 PM
I imagine the Beech had an interesting sound! I wonder what size the engines were ... gas is a great idea for a large plane ... much cheaper to run than glow.

They were two Zenoah 38, Dick said not overpowered, just like the real thing.