PDA

View Full Version : Tool time

Andrew Fernie
2008-11-30, 08:56 PM
Christmas is coming, so time to start hinting for all that stuff you just know will make your life easier in the workshop. Here are a few tools that I have found useful.

First, digital calipers. I have had a standard set of vernier calipers for a while, but all the heli measurements are metric, and multiplying/dividing by 25.4 is a pain. So, I noticed these no-names at Rona for about $36. They have a button to switch between metric and inch measurements. They also had a General model at double the price that looked identical. The cheap one works fine for me.

Andrew

Michael V
2008-11-30, 09:10 PM
Christmas is coming, so time to start hinting for all that stuff you just know will make your life easier in the workshop. Here are a few tools that I have found useful.

First, digital calipers. I have had a standard set of verbier calipers for a while, but all the heli measurements are metric, and multiplying/dividing by 25.4 is a pain. So, I noticed these no-names at Rona for about $36. They have a button to switch between metric and inch measurements. They also had a General model at double the price that looked identical. The cheap one works fine for me.

Andrew

I think you meant Vernier Calipers
You're right they are a great too to have in the shop, I use mine durning the building process countless times.

jeffrey g
2008-12-01, 12:21 PM
http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/fladen_forceps.jpg or http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/capricornslair_2031_825860743

In helis with all the small screws this is a must

Kevin Rochon
2008-12-01, 01:57 PM
CND tire also from time to time has that vernier on special 1/2 price, I don't remember exactly what that price is though(doh!).

Kevin

Mick
2008-12-01, 05:25 PM
Vernier callipers - I bought mine at a model show a few years ago, absolutely invaluable. Watch out for battery life as mine does not have an auto-off function and it will eat the battery it you put it away when it is still on. Probably one of the most useful and most often used tools.

Sunfly
2008-12-02, 12:25 AM
For the bro's that don't have a Dremel or the equivalent.
It is one of the tool to ask for Christmas.
The newcomer can go a long way without it but it is a time saver and sometimes a real life saver.
There is a lot of rotary tools with a good assortment of bits and do dads.
You may save some money in some instance by using another brand than Dremel.

Cheers,

bob forest
2008-12-02, 07:16 AM
This past thursday, friday and saturday, Cdn Tire had their brand, master craft on sale for $8.64 plus taxes. I bought one. Can't go wrong at that price.

Andrew Fernie
2008-12-05, 08:15 PM
Building seems to be out of fashion these days, but if you do want to start making balsa dust, try a disc sander like the attached. I find it very useful for getting a clean edge after a saw cut. I cut a bit oversize, then sand down to fit. I don't find the belt nearly as useful as the disc.

Andrew Fernie
2008-12-05, 08:17 PM
You can never have enough clamps if you are building. I like this type as they open wide, and close quickly with one hand.

Andrew Fernie
2008-12-05, 08:20 PM
These cutting mats from Bureau en Gros are great for saving the tips on your xacto blades. The grid lines help you keep the cuts square.

Andrew Fernie
2008-12-05, 08:27 PM
I was forever taking things apart and losing the parts. I solved this (at least partially), by keeping a collection of small boxes near my workbench. When I start disassembling something I grab an empty one and put every screw, nut, washer, etc. in it as I go. Different jobs being worked on at the same time get different boxes. Having something left over at the end is a good clue that there is a problem.

I used the same technique when building my Sceadu - each little bag was emptied into a box when I was ready to use it.

These ones are left over from some makeup remover my wife uses, so the price is right. I have some larger boxes that can take engines and stuff when I have a bigger job to do.

turkana
2008-12-05, 09:07 PM
Hi
These Items here are eccential at least in my opinion for a real smoth heli. The Propbalancer to balance everything that rotates like clutchbell and gears. The Dialgauge too see if all runs true, like the fanhub for example and of course the bladebalancer. I had real great results with these things.

beto9
2008-12-06, 10:31 AM
I am a tool freak... I like them perhaps because I am lazy and do not like to work extra...
I carry an extra set of the most common ones to the field so no forgetting them at home and needing them for a fast repair or adjustment.
I am getting off thread:

The greatest tool of them all.....

(drum roll....)

Dremel!

turkana
2008-12-06, 11:22 AM
No No the old Hammer!

Burning Head
2008-12-06, 12:52 PM
My is dremel too but don't forget, glue and glue and vap of glue :D

guillaumesaucier
2008-12-06, 05:10 PM
I performed acomplete overhaul of ao.s engine(46 sf)
with success yesterday, and I found replacements bearings at
general bearings service on Jarry street east.
The guy there told me that the bearings in o.s engines(ntn brand, japan)
are ordinary bearings that are not high speed ones
The real bearings are 20 dollars.I paid my replacements 3.75 dollars only
No need to get expensive o.sstamped parts.Guillaume

turkana
2008-12-06, 06:49 PM
Rc bearings.com also have great deals on bearings. Got mty ceramics for my hyper there. regards pete