PDA

View Full Version : Zero Gravity Pitts Python

Dwight Macdonald
2008-12-19, 12:04 AM
:)I flew my new electric ZG Pitts Python for the first time today. Gilbert was there and helped me with getting the correct trim. It was quite unstable for the first two flights but became a lot better after I moved the CG forward some (simply moving the battery). It still needs some adjustments to the control surface rates for precision but I think it will turn out to be a very decent plane. The power is great with nice fast unlimited verticle uplines. My longest flight time with aerobatic flying was 9 min using the A123 pack. The LiPO gives faster uplines with similar flight times. Both packs worked well. I was gentle with the LiPO (never full throttle) and the motor was OK. The max power consumed (Watt's Up power meter in the plane) was about 600 W(54A) for the A123 and 700W(55A) for the LiPO.

Here is some info I posted previously on another thread:

The motor is a Turnigy C3548-1100 ($23 US) turning a 12x6 APC. In my basement with a 4 cell A123 (2300 mAh) it pulls 54A and 600W. With a 4 cell LiPo it pulls ~800W. The permanent magnets begin to detach at 800W though ... I broke 2 motors and have one left ... to treat gently (<600W seems to be OK). I will post some pics later ... computer issues.

Here is more info: http://www.zerogmodel.com/

Dwight Macdonald
2008-12-19, 12:08 AM
Here are a few pics ...

PaulG-rc
2008-12-19, 12:36 AM
Welcome to serious Electric :D its looking great :D

LAMAHORSE
2008-12-19, 06:05 AM
Looking good that yellow color scheme Dwitht!
Dont forget to keep those batteries warm befort flight...

briankizner
2008-12-19, 06:43 AM
Very nice, Dwight. Congratulations. You seem to have more snow on the ground than we do up here in Southeast Labrador. I hope to visit the club sometime over the Christmas holidays.

Denis Cloutier
2008-12-19, 08:34 AM
It look's as good as the big one, how is the soundof the motor? quiet or hi pitch?

Burning Head
2008-12-19, 11:28 AM
Wow,great work Dwight.:cool:

Dwight Macdonald
2008-12-20, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys! The motor is fairly quiet ... mostly just prop sound I think. I have temporarily (for winter) closed up all the cooling holes (cowl - except motor - and cockpit bottom) to keep the battery warm during flight and I also keep the extra battery and whole aircraft in the car between flights to keep the batteries warm before flights ... I got the expected current and capacity of the batteries throughout the flights.

Michael V
2008-12-20, 08:20 AM
Congrads Dwight!
I can't wait to see it in the air.

Later

Dwight Macdonald
2009-02-22, 11:01 PM
I flew 3 good flights on my electric Python today ... did some more precise trimming using what I learned yesterday at the IMAC seminar organized by Ray and Isabel ... the plane is getting quite reasonable for my IMAC sequence now. The plastic Dubro skis are not good for slightly sticky snow ... they really stick ... a layer of electrical tape on the bottom solved the problem! Some ski wax should also work but I didn't have any.