PDA

View Full Version : Indoor flying organization

Andrew Fernie
2008-12-23, 10:00 PM
Dwight and I spoke for a few minutes today about the organization of the upcoming indoor season. As a reminder, we have worked the last couple of seasons with a clock system that splits the time into five minute slots. Each slot is assigned one of four colors, and sets of matching clothes pins are provided. Normally we alternate heli and airplane, so we have two slots for each aircraft type. We normally allow six pins for each color. Each pilot is supposed to take a clothes pin when he arrives and fly when his color comes up.

There were a few comments last year that some pilots were flying both helicopters and airplanes, and therefore flying in every second slot. (guilty) While we want to allow people to make best use of our time in the gym, the question does come up as to why it is O.K. for a pilot to fly one airplane slot and one heli slot while it is not O.K. for an airplane pilot to fly in both airplane slots (and the equivalent situation for heli pilots flying both heli slots).

We had a few ideas for resolving this, but most of them got complicated and would require someone to spend the entire evening managing the slots. I can't see anybody getting too interested in that.

So, we came up with the following suggestion:
1. We keep the five minute slot time, but use six colors of clothes pins rather than four. Again, we have six clothes pins of each color available (maybe five for helis due to gym layout, but we can discuss this).
2. Pilots can take any two colored pins when they arrive. This could be two airplane, two heli, or one of each.

This approach allows pilots to fly in one out of three slots rather than the one out of four that we have in principle been allowing in the past.

We can tune the arrangements in the event that there are few flyers one evening, or a big imbalance between heli and airplane flyers, but the basic principle needs to be that we give people equal chances to fly.

One other complication we have had is that people sometimes keep their pins from one week to the next so we have trouble keeping the number of pins for each color fixed. So, if you find yourself in this situation this year, please return your pin to the bag of spares and take a new pin from the board if there is one available. If there are none on the board for the color you used the previous week that slot is full, so pick another slot.

Any comments on this approach or other suggestions?

Andrew

zorba
2008-12-24, 05:54 AM
If there are none on the board, you are out of luck - that slot is full.

Any comments on this approach or other suggestions?

Andrew

Maybe the new system will work.
That means that if I arrive a few minutes late and there are no pins on the board, that means I have to turn around and go home, while some airplane and heli pilots each have two pins.

I think a beter arrangement is in order.
my two cents.
Cheers

Elgreco
2008-12-24, 07:05 AM
Or bring some extra from home....LOL

Just kidding.

One more suggestion, and keep in mind, coming from someone that usually can't make it to the indoor. I only came once last year and I noticed that the gym gets really crowded. Maybe next year you could look for a bigger gym.

You guys need more space to spread your wings....

Have fun.

Andrew Fernie
2008-12-24, 08:42 AM
Maybe the new system will work.
That means that if I arrive a few minutes late and there are no pins on the board, that means I have to turn around and go home, while some airplane and heli pilots each have two pins.

I think a beter arrangement is in order.
my two cents.
Cheers

Bill,

I phrased that poorly. What I meant to say was that if the pins for the color you had used last week are all gone, then that slot is full and please don't fly using the pin you kept from last week - pick another slot. I will edit my original text to correct this.

With the new arrangement we have six slots, and six pins for each slot, for a total of 36 pins being available. Even with 2 pins per pilot we can have 18 pilots per night - this should be O.K. If it turns out to be too busy we can fall back to the original 4 slots/6pins per slot/1 pin per pilot arrangement which allows 24 pilots.

I don't think that you will have a problem getting a fair allocation of flying time if you show up - if you do have a problem, please let Dwight or I know and we will see how we can adjust the organization.

Andrew

Burning Head
2008-12-24, 08:48 AM
The roll shoud be for member only. Zorba is right, be late on time roll give nomercy for the real member of this club.:cool:

Ronald Longtin
2008-12-24, 09:20 AM
Je pense que la suggestion d'Andrew est très intéressante et mérite un essai de quelques semaines pour la tester.

Un détail. Je crois que les sessions de cinq minutes devraient alterner entre avions et hélicos.

Burning Head
2008-12-24, 10:35 AM
Copy Ronald,Is not then I wan to argu,I just then hope the real member will have the preority on the outsider:suspicious:

Dwight Macdonald
2008-12-24, 11:11 AM
Richard, last season we had only member pilots attend ... this was because all non-members became members due to the sweet deal we had for members ... the price per session for a non-member was $10 and members were free ... for 11 sessions the cost to a non-member would be $110 while a member only paid $100 for the membership.

Mario, it would be great to have a larger gym ... if you know of one that is available for a comparable price please let me know ... it has always been difficult to find a large gym that is actually available ... we have had to use much smaller gyms in the past and are very fortunate to have this one at a good price.

Burning Head
2008-12-24, 11:56 AM
You right Dwight, sorry to all bro for trying to slow down any futur pilot or copilot:cool: no offence I hope:o

Shawn
2008-12-24, 12:58 PM
Sounds good guys. Let,s give it a try as Ronald says,for a few weeks ,and see what happens.

Elgreco
2008-12-24, 05:25 PM
If you guys let me know what we are currently paying, I could look accordingly. I play Bball as wellas a lot of my friends in different gyms. I could ask around, for something not too far anyways.

You can PM me for the amount if you don't want to post online, and also, would people still be interested in St-Laurent area IF something were to come up ?

Ronald Longtin
2008-12-25, 10:43 AM
I sent you a email Mario. The sum is in the budget approved by members at the AGM.

Elgreco
2008-12-25, 12:28 PM
Thank you. I got it. I will let you know what I can find once the holidays pass and I start again ball.

Happy holidays to all. !!

Xavier
2008-12-26, 11:50 PM
I think the new system is a great idea. I have always been in favor of the slot system since the first time I saw it done in Guelph. The change seems to be a good idea. I was flying both heli and aiplane last year and was feeling a bit guilty. That's why I wasn't planning to fly the heli this year. Anyway, I have more fun with the plane.

The gym is a nice size for indoor airplanes. It only become too small when using park flyers.

For the one who think that we need a bigger gym, have a look at the small 'gym' I used this week :-)

YouTube - Vantage 2008-12-24

xed
2008-12-27, 08:54 AM
Ok, we are going to cancel the Gym rental and all go to Xavier's house this season...

Burning Head
2008-12-27, 10:41 AM
shoud we put down a couple of wall for gain space:D or you prefert use one room for chopper and two for plane:p