PDA

View Full Version : Monokote or Ultracote?

mjutras
2008-12-27, 12:02 AM
I bought myself my first kit, Top Flite TOPA0300 81" Cessna 182 Skylane. I like challenge! I must say that it is not so difficult although I wouldn't want to do this project in a rush. I have been at it for about a month and I have completed the fin, the stab and almost finished the wings (flaps included) the only thing I don't feel so comfortable with is the finishing toutch. I have been browsing the web and found that Ultracote is easier to apply but it sometimes loosen up on warm sunny days and Monokote is more lasting but a little harder to apply. Some people swear by Monokote and others by Ultracote.

This kit is all wood so the finishing will stick to the wood, does this make it easier or harder?
Any suggestions :confused:

xed
2008-12-27, 08:49 AM
Never liked Monocote... Ultracote just seems easier to work with, less wrinkly..

Sunfly
2008-12-27, 10:41 AM
I worked with both.
No matter how you stowed away you plane(s) for prolongated periods of time they will always get out of the cupboard with wrinkles --Monokoted or Ultrakoted --.
I find Monokote has a tendency to cook faster than Ultrakote when you overwork it with the iron. I mean it will get in a state you can't stretch and the color change becomes permanent.
I also find Ultrakote stretching more predictable.
I think Ultrakote is a little bit resistant to tearing.

My vote goes to Ultrakote.

There is also the Century 21 fabric. This could be good for trainer wings as it is more resistant than all the other if you land in the brushes of the far field.
This give the same look as the fabric used on full scale planes like the Cubs
It was a bit heavier hard to work with with pretty low stretchability but on a trainer it could save your flyday.

Cheers,

Michael V
2008-12-27, 02:17 PM
I agree with Greg.
I have covered a few planes and Ultra is by far the best.
Have fun.

mjutras
2008-12-27, 10:18 PM
Thank you all for the information, I will go with Ultracote.

mjutras
2009-08-15, 11:07 AM
I am at the Ultracote step, I checked Ted's and Hobbivile but they don't cary Ultracote, only Monokote.

I can't figure out why it is an easier product to work with but it is harder to find!

If I have to order from far away maybe, maybe anyone who which to place an order we can do at the same time and we can save on shipping.
Unless anyone knows of a local place, I prefer to encourage the locals.

Michel

Dwight Macdonald
2009-08-15, 07:40 PM
I like ultracote better also. I think Distribution Aux Modelist in Laval has it ... call first to be sure.

Capt. B
2010-03-27, 10:15 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seemed better than starting the same one again. I was wondering the same thing, which to use. Seems ultra would be my best bet.

Question now is, has anyone seen it locally lately?

Dwight Macdonald
2010-03-27, 12:05 PM
I got some from Distribution Modeliste in Laval last week.

Capt. B
2010-03-28, 12:17 AM
Thanks Dwight.
It's been a few years since I made a trip to Modelistes.
I totally forgot that they closed at noon on Saturdays... :angry: