PDA

View Full Version : Ski testing

Michael V
2008-12-28, 06:05 PM
Well I pasted by the field this morning to see how the ski's would fair.
I did 40min for engine testing first while I waited for Greg to show up.
And then I tried to take off, the ski's didn't work well in the wet snow and my plane just tipped over on the first try. I did get it up and I had a hard time because a lot of snow got stuck on the ski's and gave me some problems in the air. On landing the nose tipped over again. Oh well.
I started to pack and go home around 12:30 just as the wind showed up. It was not easy to get my plane back in the car, my canopy few off and got damaged (just a bit) and on wing bag sent a lot of time in the water.:(

And it looks like next week it is going to be very cold.

beto9
2008-12-28, 06:32 PM
Hail to the courageous!

xed
2008-12-28, 06:40 PM
Like I mentioned on the phone, sorry I couldn't make it out while you were there, having a problem with moisture piling up and wetting the insulation in my ducts to my Venmar system so I was trying to get that starting to dry out before cold snap comes back.

You will want to rest the plane outside on a hard surface or keep the trunk to your car opened to season the aluminum to the same temperature so that the snow doesn't stick, its probably worse today because the snow is very sticky.

bob forest
2008-12-28, 09:05 PM
Mike, I use cross crosscountry ski wax on my skis, it really works, without it, on wet snow you will always have a problem. I do it once melt it on, then I am good for the winter.

Michael V
2008-12-28, 09:23 PM
Hey Bob, Thanks I'll try that.
Greg I was outside on the snow for 45min or so, I think my exhaust may have heated them up.