PDA

View Full Version : Indoor 2009-01-06

Xavier
2009-01-06, 10:18 PM
The new slot system seems to have worked ok from what I have seen. Any other opinion ?

For the people who were asking what was that bizzard flying thing I had tonight, here are some details.

It's a gyrocopter or autogyro called the Pisces from www.stmodel.com and it's available from www.icare-rc.com in Boucherville for around 100$. It took me about 4 hours to build it.

You could see the promotional video here:
YouTube - pisces-indoor

And the video of the first flight tonight, taken by Paul Grenier who did a great job again with the camera:
YouTube - pisces-2009 0906

Mine is 130g with an Eflite Park 250, a 2S300 Apache batterie, 2 GWS Pico servos (rudder & elevator) and a Spektrum R6000 receiver.

It is very different to fly compared to the other indoor airplanes I have, specialy because of there are no ailerons. I added a mix from the aileron to the rudder before the video was taken so I could control the roll almost as usual. The CG was too much aft on the first flight and needed a lot of down trim but after moving the batterie for the second flight, it was a lot easier. I will need at least a few more flights before feeling confident enough to try all the things on the first video above.

It's fun and it's different.

Xavier

jeffrey g
2009-01-06, 10:38 PM
Looks nice but it seems to be flying on the prop instead of the wings ??

PaulG-rc
2009-01-06, 10:56 PM
Wow! the video turned out better then I thought :)
I was happy to be there at the first 2009 indoor and was suprise to see so many flyers ,I wish we had more time to talk because I didn't get to talk to everyone but I had lots of fun.
Lots of helis also that was cool to see.
The flight times were very well controlled good work guys.
I hope to be able to attend next week too. :D

Xavier
2009-01-06, 11:27 PM
Jeffrey,
The video is of the first flight and the CG was too aft so I was holding down elevator to keep the nose down. On the second flight, with batterie move forward it was flying with a better attitude but the cameraman was talking with everyone :-)
The wings are not really wings. They are very smalls and seem to be there only to hold the two rotors in place. I will try to jam the 2 rotors and see if it would take off but I really don't think it will.

PaulG-rc
2009-01-06, 11:40 PM
:) oups I hope I wont get fired :D
Next time Xavier :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-01-07, 07:10 AM
Very nice doing guy's...
I see Paul is having a ball at filming the machines...
Great work buddy...

I'll have to show-up one night... Missing the buddies a little in the winter times...

Andrew Fernie
2009-01-07, 12:23 PM
Very good turnout last night - I think that we had sixteen on the list, plus a bunch of spectators out to socialize. Helis and airplanes were both well represented, ranging from a small co-axial machine, a Trex 250, Gaui 200, as well as a few 450 class machines. I am not sure how to classify Xavier's autogyro - he probably just wanted to make sure he could fly in any (heli or airplane) slot.

We went with the six slots/six pins per slot/two pins per pilot approach on the clock. Six pins per slot seems high, but there always seemed to be one or two that were not flying (talking or repairing). We did notice some confusion with the colors (yellow/orange and blue/purple). Ronald will try to die the pins this week to make the color difference more apparent. Any comments from anyone else on this system?

Good attendance for supper also - my guess is 12 or so. If you have already eaten, don't worry. Some just come for the beer and popcorn.

See you next week, same time, same place.

Andrew

turkana
2009-01-07, 01:51 PM
Hi
Was my first Indoor flying ever and I musst say it was real fun, yup good turnout and lots of fun, exept my little Gaui did not enjoy the last flight... :mad: anyway dumbthumbs eh! Anyway I will not be there next week because my Gaui is out of order till then I guess and My T rex only has Carbons but the following week we will return with a venegance :D have to keep those Align ships at bay....! See ya guys and cheers to a great crowd!

Regards Pete

beto9
2009-01-07, 03:05 PM
An interesting fact: there were as many planes as helis! I went down the line and counted....
The other was that Tino's very young son will be a qualified plane pilot in no time. Did you see him flying the little plane!?!?!?!

Michael, look over your shoulders soon!

Shawn
2009-01-07, 09:36 PM
;)Excellent evening, great fun. The new system seems to work well.Great tunout, and we,re still missing some of our regular flyers from past years. Looking forward to an excellent year.

Flying73
2009-01-08, 12:45 PM
An interesting fact: there were as many planes as helis! I went down the line and counted....
The other was that Tino's very young son will be a qualified plane pilot in no time. Did you see him flying the little plane!?!?!?!

Michael, look over your shoulders soon!

I have to admit that I was surprised at how well my son flew considering he's 6 years old. I appreciate everyones understanding when his flight path got too close to the spectators. WIMAC has great members.

The clock system seemed to work well. If I had to suggest an improvement, maybe there could be an audible beeper sounding for every five minute session. This way no one would really have to keep an eye on the clock to announce the next session.

Does anyone have any pics?

turkana
2009-01-08, 02:23 PM
Everyone should have understanding for when a 6 year old uses a bigger flightpath, if someone should get anoyd about it, he is in the wrong hobby.It s events like this wich bring new members to the hobby and that can only be good!I wish my Dad would have taken me to events like this, maybe I would have become a better heli pilot.Keep it up kid!

P.s If anybody needs help in learning how to fly or setup a Heli I am always glad to help if time permits, do not hesitate to talk to me :)
Regards Pete