PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a wagon

Xavier
2009-01-14, 09:16 PM
Hello guys,

People who know me have seen how many airplanes I could fit in my Jetta. However, it would be more practical to have more room so I started looking a few weeks ago.

There is no way I will have a minivan but I want more room so it will be a wagon. For fuel consumption concerns, I want to stay with 2L maximun engine size and it has to be a manual transmission.

The 2 on my list are the Jetta Wagon 2005-2007 and the Focus ZXW 2005-2007 but the Focus may have an advantage because it's also available with basic equipment while the Jetta seems to come only full equiped. The only option that I would like if possible is the cruise control.

Any comments from owner or former owner ?

Any other suggestions that would fit my criteria (2L, manual)

Anyone with one for sale ?

Anyone know if it's possible to install a cruise control on a Focus ? I have done it long time ago on a Golf but I don't know much about the Focus.

Thanks

bob forest
2009-01-15, 09:08 AM
Xavier, The Focus the later ones are great cars. Steve has one and loves it, his is a manual. Also you should have a look at the one I drive. The Nissan Versa, and now they are really cheap. Great on gas, I am very happy with mine. They also have them on startard.
Also the Mazda 3 again, the later ones. 07,08, I have a friend that has one, and is very happy with it. Last but not least, you should go and have a test drive in a Suzuki. You might be surprised. We had 3 of them and never had a bit of trouble with all of them. We could not wear them out. Now they are nice looking and very reliable. Their is a lot of deals out there with the way the car business is going. You can deal and bargain with them. They have to get those cars off those lot's. Good luck

Eric Marchand
2009-01-16, 11:37 PM
Too bad you want a manual. I have a Saturn SW2, the large rof the wagons they made. Now these came with two possible engines, the v6 and a 4 inline. I bought my car used, and I chose the 4 cylinder, 2.4 liter Ecotec, because of it's widespread distribution. This is the same engine that went in all the small GM pick-up trucks, the sunfires, the compacts, etc...The V6 can only be found in Saab's and one model of Cadillac.

Aftermarket parts are cheap and plentifull. Our car is a 2000, and while only the doors are made of polymer, the rest of the car doesn't show a spot of rust, not even a blemish, even around the fenders, and with 175 000km on the odometer. I got it in 2002 with 46k, so far, I've only had to replace brakes, oil and the battery once. I highly recommend it.

But I don't think it came with a manual tranny. The smaller wagon, the SL, did, but its 1.9l is way underpowered in my opinion. . Ask Alix what he thinks of it.

Xavier
2009-01-21, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys for the inputs. I got my Focus Wagon today. It's longer inside than the Versa and it has a smaller motor than the SW2. It still has plenty of pep to go too fast anyway. The rear seat will be removed shortly and trays will be made to ferry a bunch of airplanes and support equipment safely :-)

bob forest
2009-01-21, 04:16 PM
You will like it Xavier. Steve is very happy with his. Also Robert Tremblay also had one, but going to the 40% he went with the Mazda 5. His would of been a good one to buy, it waa like new, but that was last year.
Bob