PDA

View Full Version : Info on all model plane records

bob forest
2009-01-18, 07:14 AM
have a look at this. If you want to know or want to break a record, it is all here. RC speed is over 400km and so on.
http://records.fai.org/models/current.asp
interesting stuff.

bob forest
2009-01-18, 08:59 AM
What is interesting, is that some of the records are still held by Maynard Hill. He goes back to the 60's and until the late 90's. He is the one that flew a model from Newfoundland to Ireland. he launched the plane in Newfoundland, and at a certain altitude the gps took over, and once in site of the other flyer in Ireland, He took it over and landed it. I think it was Bill Brown but not sure. I know it had only a few ounces left in the tank. they even have records for Helis, I think you will be surprised at the height and speed they go.

finnegan
2009-01-18, 09:29 AM
Check out the speed of this plane.
YouTube - Fast RC plane

Mick
2009-01-18, 11:19 AM
Excellent video. Speed is addictive and competitive. At one of my previous clubs we held speed events as one member, a policeman, has access to high quality radar guns. My fastest model was a Weston UK Magnum. http://www.westonuk.co.uk/index_133.htm . I used the West 50 motor with a full pipe and a 8x8 prop, 19,000 rpm static. The best result I had was 188mph average of two runs, 196 best downwind run. I never got mine over 200mph but somebody got theirs close to 220 mph by tuning the motor/pipe. I spent a long time messing with prop sizes and pipe lengths. I came second once, never quite got the top spot. Very small deltas, powered by hand made racing engines were the fastest, consistently over 200mph.

However, it is probably the most frightening thing I had ever flown as it has to be turning or climbing or it will disappear within a few seconds. After each flight my legs would be literally shaking. I found the safest manoeuvre was to climb, roll 180deg then pull it over into a dive, pull out smoothly, pass in front of the pilot and then repeat, all done at full throttle until the fuel runs out. Never had any flutter issues and the aircraft tracked superbly. One rule I asked of my colleagues was no other aircraft in the air at the same time, it was just too scary. Unlike the model in the video, the Magnum glides like a brick so as soon as it went quiet you had to land or it crashed.

As you might have guessed it ended a bag of balsa due to too many arrivals but that was OK after maybe 50 flights. We had some complaints over noise so the speed events stopped, great shame.

I was surprised at the low speed of gliders, as I have read about dynamic soaring speeds over 300mph, ie faster than any powered aircraft, these may not be FAI approved.

beto9
2009-01-18, 11:34 AM
Very interesting thread. I can understand Mick since I always thought that flying jets was a bit boring... swosh! swosh! swosh!
The speed of that plane was amazing, difficult to react on time unless you have the reflexes of a cat.

Also interesting to see that you, Mick, used to burn glow instead of Watts...

Jeremy Cartlidge
2009-01-18, 04:55 PM
Mick, I now understand why you left the UK and fly electrics.

Are the UK police still looking for you to answer for the noise and destruction of your 200 mph crash? It could have been mistaken for a WMD. 19,000 rpm static!!!!!!

Mick
2009-01-18, 05:01 PM
Too right Albert, a real petrol head, I only turned all electric when I came to Canada. Good decision so far. Did you get that electric model set up and tested yet?

beto9
2009-01-18, 05:16 PM
Mick, model(s) setup and Watt-metered... I think they will fly very well.
Not flown yet, I will wait for the spring. One Electrifly Edge 540 and one Aero-Works Sting-Ray (these last people are very hyphenated, as you see...)
By the way, electrics are easier to fly at the beginning and end of the season... no finger freezing tuning of the glow engine, manipulating the needle valve behind the propeller wash...

Mick
2009-01-18, 05:23 PM
Jeremy, I have changed my identity and country, there is a danger I may not be let back in again unless I sign the pledge to fly all electric.