PDA

View Full Version : Winter project is almost ready

Oliver
2009-02-08, 09:44 PM
My YAK 54 ended up looking like a kit after the last flight, except the pieced didn't resemble anything that was laser cut.
My new plane is almost ready to go. It is a Hanger 9 Sundowner, and so far I am fairly pleased with how it is coming together. Instead of using a gasoline engine like the YAK had, I have decided to go with a fuel guzzling 4 stroke nitro engine. I figure with the number of flights I do, spending the extra on fuel will not result in any dramatic savings. Besides, the sound of the 4 stroke is beautiful. The YAK ended after the receiver battery pack failed. This time round there are two battery packs.

Elgreco
2009-02-08, 09:59 PM
Most important tool when building a kit :

Beer.;)

turkana
2009-02-08, 10:06 PM
If Oli if we get our s... engines started...lol! Regards Pete

Oliver
2009-02-09, 04:47 PM
Beer is good. What else can you do while waiting for epoxy to harden ?

finnegan
2009-02-09, 08:49 PM
Nice plane Oliver.
The Sundowner is the one I would get if I go nitro(gas).
I heard that it's very fast if it has the right engine.

turkana
2009-02-09, 09:50 PM
IF Oli gets the Engine running it should be fast. Oli just check if your carbopening is free lol! Regards Pete

Oliver
2009-02-10, 09:03 PM
It should be faster than the YAK, but speed is not the main goal. Some sport flying would be nice. I am not ready for 3D.
As to cleaning the carb, it is pretty clean. No oil or rubber caps found in sight. It has run a few times to break it in, but I think the new Saito just doesn't like to be flipped with a stick when it is -20C outside and is being stubborn.
By the way, I got myself an electric starter. Just have to wait for the spinner adapter to come and we'll see how that works out.

turkana
2009-02-10, 10:46 PM
Diden t you say you hate batteries!! The starter need one....! :D

Oliver
2009-02-11, 01:01 PM
Batteries are evil. Anything battery powered is evil. But, sometimes you have to join the dark side to move ahead.
Hmmm....maybe I could design a pedal powered starter.

turkana
2009-02-11, 03:02 PM
no but remember my brushless generator. ask the guys at your work. regards pete