PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the east coast

Del Archer
2009-02-11, 01:01 PM
Hello to the WIMAC gang.. I once belonged to the Montreal R/C Club (back in the 70's) and learned to fly with the help of folks like Carl Larsen then Bob Forest and others at the St. Lazare field. I may have met some of you during that time and if so, I'm pleased to have accepted Bob's invitation to become a member of your on-line forum. I still build and fly fixed wing but have also acquired a small fleet of helicopters, and a couple of boats.

I'm now retired after nearly half a century in private radio and television as a reporter, anchor and manager (some of you might remember me from my days with CFCF and/or CTV).

Though I'm originally from Manitoba, I've worked almost everywhere across Canada and have taken up residence in a small community called Bayside, on the Lighthouse Route between Halifax and Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia.

I look forward to exploring your site, admiring the pictures and perhaps participating in the occasional on-line discussion. Cheers, Del

beto9
2009-02-11, 01:17 PM
Del, welcome to our Web site. As you can see is pretty busy.
Lucky you are not suffering this Montreal winter.... you have your own weather to take care of.

Now, a word of caution... being a friend of Bob Forest, acquantaince or recommended by him is not quite endearing.
Over a large number of years he has been a great crash instructor for a large number of radio control afficionados and all ....lets say, remember him.:D:D:D:D:D:D

bob forest
2009-02-11, 01:54 PM
Albert, thanks for the compliment.So when you drop your contacts next time your are flying, don't ask me to look for them.

LAMAHORSE
2009-02-11, 02:03 PM
Welcome back Del Archer,

I was in the 80's a member at Montreal RC club...
Was with the gang members, Ken Starkey,Roger,Cpt Cooper...
I did learn there how to fly, and then proceed with a Pitt's from EZ & power by a OS61 4 stokes...

Maybe we cross eachother then. Was also in the 2000's years at CFCF,CTV Montreal on a fiew winters program season on a Private project rental studio there at CFCF...

I still remember that I was smoking my cigarettes with some NEWS cast members in that small loudge for smoker's... you probably know who was there to smoke his cigarette with me,,, right?

I was DOP on that private project there... I had great time with pretty all those peoples who work's there... I shure Miss that famely sharing at time... A old buddy of my that I was DOP cameraman operator for him a while back,,, he now do the Front desk NEWS... I should stop by to shake my Buddy hand sometime ,, this summer maybe... That's a great idea...

Del,

What will you show us as pictures of your Helicopters fleet???

Would be nice to share them with us Buddy,,,
Welcome again and hope to shake your hand in a near future Sir...

Del Archer
2009-02-11, 06:58 PM
Gentlemen,
I am delighted at the warm response to my decision to register as an on-line member of WIMAC .. and trust me, I take the caution about Bob to heart. However, in his defence, I should also tell you a story of an occasion at the St. Lazare field when a member, who had a habit of chewing on a Molson's while flying, had one too many. He suddenly found himself in deep doo-doo .. unable to get his aircraft lined up for a landing, unable to get the right glide slope .. in short, he was rapidly becoming a danger to himself, his son and everyone else at the field that afternoon. Bob walked over, took the transmitter from the guy, flew the length of the runway at speed, pulled into a large loop .. and landed the machine at the bottom of the loop!!! Now, you might argue that it was purely accidental on Bob's part .. I thought it was pretty neat.

As to the gang at CFCF .. almost everyone I knew at the time were smokers .. including yours truly. But, in those days, there were ashtrays every where in that old building on Ogilvy .. and they were always filled to the brim!! So many great memories of the city .. the old CFCF .. the flying friends I made .. memories that are as fresh today as if they occurred last .. well, I was going to say last week, but last summer .. when there was half decent flying weather.

Nice to be part of the miniature aircraft community in one of my all-time favourite cities.

I look forward to posting pix but I'll have to dust off my fleet first. Thanks for the notes of welcome .. they are much appreciated.
Cheers,
Del

PaulG-rc
2009-02-11, 07:09 PM
:DHi Del and welcome,I also am a MRCC member and was a very long time WIMAC member ,but can only be a member at one club so I visit WIMAC often on my way to work, its always fun.

I would also love to see your heli fleet and Albert too would love to see it:D

beto9
2009-02-12, 09:35 AM
Bob walked over, took the transmitter from the guy, flew the length of the runway at speed, pulled into a large loop .. and landed the machine at the bottom of the loop!!! Now, you might argue that it was purely accidental on Bob's part .. I thought it was pretty neat.

Del

No surprise here... Bob is quite reckless with other people's planes:p;):D:angry::)

(But is a LOT of fun to be around!!!!!)

bob forest
2009-02-12, 10:07 AM
Albert, Because I am reckless with your planes only, that does not mean I am reckless with all the others. Plus Del asked me when was the last time you shaved, I told him the truth, that you usually wear a mask when you come and fly. What are you going to do if the City of Montreal passes that new law, that you can't wear mask. How will I recognize you without a mask. That picture you have, has been there for two years, I am sure you have changed since then.
I told Del, that when I say, "Come here Albert, Sit" you listen.
Are you going flying today? I am not, it is raining. Hope no one goes to the field, could make a mess.
Albert, to make you feel better, all of the above is true.
Bob

Del Archer
2009-02-12, 03:02 PM
You know what, guys? It's like I never left Montreal. The "compliments" are as acid-edged as ever .. and so much fun to read. I look forward to meeting those of you who are new to me .. but I'll remind you of a Maritime homily .. strangers are just friends you haven't met.

Seems to me, though, that I recall a Paul Grenier who used to fly at the St. Lazare field .. and who maybe worked in news at CFCF? Are you one and the same? I'm pretty certain we've crossed paths at some point in our past.

By the way, Bob, when was the picture taken? When you were 12? I remember you as being older .. more mature .. in person.. :>)

Cheers,
Del

bob forest
2009-02-12, 03:15 PM
That was taken in 68.

PaulG-rc
2009-02-12, 03:39 PM
Hi Del

No CFCF for me but i did fly in St-Lazare back then too so we must of met somehow. :)

beto9
2009-02-12, 04:08 PM
That was taken in 68.

1868.....?

bob forest
2009-02-12, 04:30 PM
So do I get a free membership, for being the oldest member in the history of RC flying.