PDA

View Full Version : My Hirobo EC120B Colibri build

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-06, 11:39 PM
Hi all
I finally started my winter – spring project. My Hirobo EC120B Colibri finally arrived from Japan 2 weeks ago.
Features:
Custom paint job to do
3 blades Hirobo Rotor Head
3 Hirobo 670mm fibreglass main blades
Hirobo onboard starter
JR 12X JR Radio
JR 12 channel high voltage receiver
JR VR6010 10 amps voltage regulator
2 RX Pack 6000mAh lipo power Safe
4 DS8717 ultra speed cyclic servos
JR Deluxe switch harness gold
New OS91HZ
Plus lots of scale extras from Vario

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-06, 11:41 PM
I started by installing the skids so the body would stand on the table. The body will have to be painted but I plan to test fit everything and test fly-it before I paint.

I then started to put the S60-II Hirobo mechanics together. The metal sandwich frame is simple but not large enough for my taste. The new JR - DS8717 servos are quite big and would interfere with one another. I had to put the frame together 3 times, bad habit of reading too fast and not reading instructions.

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-06, 11:44 PM
The mechanics are finish, swashplate adjusted and cables routed and tied. I tested the mechanic in the frame; I will have lots of room for the cockpit and all electronics.:)

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-06, 11:45 PM
I started to sand with #400 sandpaper all the body and all small parts. Now I have to build my spray room on my back balcony, no garage is a drag but I can’t pain in the kitchen, too much fumes. But with plastic and tarp it will be fully enclose and ventilated.

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-07, 05:56 AM
Well, well, well,,,

Mr. Denis got him self a new machine...
Very nice choice Buddy,,, very nice...

Can't wait to see that one from close,,, so you'll be flying that one this summer right Buddy? And have you decide what will be her colorscheme?
I've got a buddy in Europe that Have build one in France Police colorscheme,,,

I'll see you at the gate this spring like wise Buddy...
Meen while,,, read your instructions manual,,, lol... :D

PaulG-rc
2009-03-07, 07:52 AM
:eek: wow super Denis

Are you shure you want to test fly it before the painting , just wandering about the fuel getting in areas that would give you problems with the paint later.
I guess this is were electric scale helis rule as there is no contamination of fuel.
Its gona be a beautiful machine for shure. :D

Elgreco
2009-03-07, 09:19 AM
Nah.....Denis it's horrible, don't even bother with this kit.....

Just pass it over, I'll get rid of it for you......;)

Tarek Hassoune
2009-03-07, 09:37 AM
lucky u looking forward to see it at the fIeld

Burning Head
2009-03-07, 09:46 AM
Huge chopper, Denis you can fit 2 hamster in command of this craft. Some velcro X safety belt and they go:D

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-07, 10:03 PM
I decided on the color scheme, York Police Department Air 2 heli.
It will be chalenging but I have the time to do it right. Here some pictures.

PaulG-rc
2009-03-07, 10:06 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Fantastic Denis

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-08, 05:43 AM
Those are great color scheme you have choose ,,,
Take the proper time to do this helicopter buddy,,,
No one is rushing you here,,,

She will be amazing after all your hard work on her...
And wow,, a other 3 blades rotorhead machine around,,,

Niccccce !!!

zorba
2009-03-08, 09:30 AM
Nice scheme Denis.
Just remember the base color sequence. Make sure you use ALL the same brand and texture including the clear coat.

Don't use masking tape for the design. Use pin striping 1/8" tape for the line then the masking.

Don't leave the tape on too long. Peel it off right of way or else it will leave residue.

Good luck.
Bill

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-08, 01:33 PM
Hi Bill
Thank you for all the great tips. This is my first really big painting project. I read a lot on the subject and I know that it is a lot more complicated than it looks. All help is welcome.

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-18, 08:20 AM
Hey Buddy Denis,
How is your reading coming along?

I will look & follow at close on your paint making...
Let us know your route while you are on the paintshop making...

Good luck buddy!
Hope to see you soon,,,
This morning the (Merle D'Amerique (Grive) was singning) and as arrived from the south ...

Spring is here as he is the Spring door opener Bird...
Yeepee !!!

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-19, 06:31 AM
Mmmm,

I guess my Buddy Denis is stock in his millions of pages GURU BIBLE book of "how to paint" and as to become a MASTER machine painter, and to have a millions dollars Helicopter looks on hand to show us later this summer... lol...

I'm shure you have pass the (Fear Factor) of painting your helicopter by now,
with all that reading you are doing now about the subject... :D

Let us know how you are doing buddy,,,
We care you know !!!
When it is about helicopters... lol...

wild
2009-03-19, 08:42 AM
Stunning project Denis!

I am very close to the york police operation cannot say I have ever seen air 2 But she is a beauty!

May I suggest a White Base (prime coat ) Sprayed first this will Bring out the Red as they say in the painting industry!

Cheer's:)

Hank

zorba
2009-03-19, 10:09 PM
Hi Den, like Hank is aying you have to paint the model with the white first, the dark colors should be last.

Depends what kind of paints you got. like the one I'm doing for Luis's Airwolf there's no masking to be done. Is all free hand so, I will spray the base coat and after 20min apply the second coat.
20 min after that will do the camo and 20min after that the clear coat.

I have three to four hours window to do the whole thing before the paint spoils.

I can put as many clear coats as I want but they have to be applied every 20min.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-20, 12:37 AM
I did not work on the heli this week,12 hours day at work. I managed to buy the paint and finish the body for paint.I will post more pictures tomorrow

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-20, 05:03 AM
I'm looking,
at this very closely buddy...

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-20, 11:55 PM
Painting day is set for this week end. I got all my painting supply at Carquest on Gouin in Roxboro, supplier recommended by Bill. I was very satisfy, the owner gave me good advice and the right supply at a good price. :rolleyes:

This week I finish the fuse prep. I install reinforcement for the top canopy and made a support for the motorize hook at the bottom. I also painted the cockpit. I followed the color of the York Police real cockpit. It’s a bit flat silver floor, black seat, black main instrument panel. I might modify theses color later on.

For now I will use the supply gas tank, but when I will install the mechanic in the fuselage I will try to use a larger tank, my OS91 need a lot of fuel. :mad:

All electronic is tight-up and tested. The head is adjusted and balanced. I also made 5 holes to receive the light system. :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-21, 05:25 AM
Looking ready good buddy,

You'll have a hole day of fun with that painting project...
I'm shure you got your self good advises to be doing this paint job on your helicopter... You'll be fine and can't wait to see the result in front of a sunny window... Talk to you soon !

And best of making !

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-23, 07:46 AM
So,

the week-end is over,,,
How did it go on the painting issues buddy Denis?

I'm shure you got it the way you wanted to become...
Dont forget some pic's of your week-end doing,,, if any... :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-23, 12:52 PM
I was hoping for more heat Saturday, still too cold to paint outside. I am trying to get a garage for one day to paint inside or I will have to wait for 15 to 18 degrees outside in the sun.

I used my time to fully assemble the bird. I didn’t realize all the work that was still to be done. I am sure that some of theses fitting would have damaged the fuse once painted:

· Install the torque tube, servo and the pushrod for the Fenestron.
· Install the “Night Sun” spotlight.
· Measure 4 times and drill the hole for the exhaust pipe.
· Install servo and hook under the belly.
· Move the starter electronics from the top, the top cover was not closing properly.
· Install both doors and hinges.
· Install the FLIR system replica.

This week I still have some work:

· Install Fenestron.
· Install mechanics and restrain system.
· Install cockpit.
· Install light system.
· Install siren.
· Glue rear wing stabilizer.
· Test fit all windows.
· Install receiver and batteries, adjust all servos
· Balance heli

When all is done, DISSASEMBLE and get ready to paint.

Photos to come tonight.

:D

Kevin Rochon
2009-03-23, 01:34 PM
Hi denis,

I have a garage with compressor and airbrush( both Badger for small part and a bigger one) Maybe on a rainy day on the weekend?

Kevin

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-23, 03:06 PM
Ça peu m'intéresser, j'ai tous les équipements et de la bièrre en masse.;)

PaulG-rc
2009-03-23, 08:18 PM
Un vraie plaisir Denis :D
Looking foward to the pictures :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-23, 08:53 PM
That offer sound good Denis,,,
That's cool...

So the bird would be in a perfect body paintshop,,,
what better can you ask,,,

Let's keep us posted Buddy,,,
And you will have a siren on the helicopter?

Paul,,
You better watch it with speed issues with your Ecureuil,,,
Denis got a radar and siren on the EC120B,,,

And the POLICE ! ,,, lol... :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-24, 01:38 AM
Well this was a good working night. The mechanics are in; the hole for the glow valve is done. The instrument panel is done; I will put some lights in the back to light the display. I started on the seat 4 point harness but some attachments have to cure overnight. My biggest task tonight was to install the Fenestron. Well it’s done and this I am not disassembling to paint.
:swear:
These 14 small dams’ screws took me 3 hours to install, but the result is spectacular. The blades are so light and turned like magic. There installation will not win an engineering prize, but look’s great. She sill lo pale but after a few coat of paint it will be something else. Here is some pictures.:BOW:

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-24, 05:13 AM
She is,
Shure getting there...

Yea Denis,
Alote of screws and hard work installing,,,, right,,,
But the result is looking good...

PaulG-rc
2009-03-24, 08:03 AM
Wow! Denis
This will be a beautiful machine, too bad its not Electric or turbine :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-24, 12:19 PM
Turbine is for next year, and it's going to be like my friend MD 520N

Burning Head
2009-03-24, 04:19 PM
Great work Denis, Hope to see it this late spring:cool:

Denis Cloutier
2009-04-11, 08:02 PM
I did a bit of painting yesterday. I started with 2 coats of gray primer, sanding in-between.
Then I sprayed the first coat of white.

At first I was putting the paint in a small container inside the big gun container but paint was spilling everywhere.

The touch-up gun was the right size for paint canister but the spray was too small for the job to do. The big gun is perfect for spray pattern but the canister use too much paint for a model, too much waste. So wit a quick trip to Canadian Tire I modify the big gun with the small canister, perfect match.

Tomorrow I should sand the white coat and spray 2 more coats. After that I will spray the 2 last color, burgundy and blue.

PaulG-rc
2009-04-11, 08:23 PM
Slowly but shurely, good job Denis. :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-04-11, 09:19 PM
Great Denis,
Slow is a successful winner...,,,
No rush on such project paint scheme as you know.
You'll do fine buddy,,, at lease you have planty of oxygene on the balcony... lol...

Keep us up date when ever you decide to show us your going...
Be a good boy now,,, lol...
Talk to you soon...

zorba
2009-04-11, 10:52 PM
Nice work Denis.

Can I ask where are you spraying this thing?
The fumes are deadly.
If you got the same stuff I and Luis did you shouldn't breathe the fumes. Next, this is only the base coat, is flat not shinny and if you attempt to sand it will come off.
Don't sand the base coat.
Apply one coat wait 20 minutes to half an hour spray the second coat wait again and spray the third coat. Leave for 24 to 48 hours mask off the area to paint and shoot the other colors.
Just a suggestion if you bought the same paint as I did.

Cheers

Denis Cloutier
2009-04-12, 04:48 PM
Bill
Because I am shooting on my backyard balcony some time I get dust on the paint. This is why I sanded the base coat to remove imperfection. I placed plastic all around to cut the wind and prevent dust and particles to enter. At least I get lots of ventilation. That will be important when I put the clear coat with a respirator for protection, that stuff is nasty.

I receive the stickers for the lettering, logos and maple leaf on the tail. I was impress with Callie Graphics for the fantastic looks of the logos made from a bad website small picture.

zorba
2009-04-12, 06:07 PM
She is the best.
I got my Huey graphics from her and the Predator.
Great stuff to work with and the are cut to size..

cheers

Kevin Rochon
2009-04-13, 02:03 PM
Denis for your dust problem what I do is use a HeatGun to dry it right after you put on the coat it will dry the surface so dust won`t adhere to it.

Kevin

Denis Cloutier
2009-04-13, 07:29 PM
Today I had time to do the second tone, burgundy. I will let it dry 24 hrs and do the striping this week. I use infrared lamp to cure the paint faster, works fine now.

LAMAHORSE
2009-04-14, 06:25 AM
Wow,
So cool Denis,,,
You have done it...

Can't wait to see your stripping on her soon...
Take your time ,,, it should be a very nice looking machine to kiss soon !
Can't also wait to have her in my len's viewfinder.

PaulG-rc
2009-04-14, 07:41 AM
Wow! Denis that will be very impressive, and with the beautiful graphics. :D

Burning Head
2009-04-14, 07:59 AM
Beau résulta Denis:cool:

Denis Cloutier
2009-04-14, 10:57 PM
Tonight I had some time so I did the 3 stripes from top to bottom. The only other thing to do with paint are the 3 horizontal lines at the base of the doors. I should do this tomorrow. After that I will do some touch up, a few lines bled thru the tape, just minor repairs.:D

PaulG-rc
2009-04-14, 11:06 PM
De toute beaute, magnifique Denis :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-04-15, 06:44 AM
I knew it,
your a Genius !!

Very nice result,,
You did a great Job till now on her Buddy... :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-04-15, 10:55 PM
:rolleyes: Well did some more painting tonight. The final 3 stripes are done! Lots of taping, masking, one stripe at one time.
Tomorrow I an starting to apply graphics and doing some paint retouch. After all this is done ,the last step, laying down the clear coat.

zorba
2009-04-16, 05:20 AM
Hey Denis, awesome job man.Very nice paint job. I'm sure at the end will be the envy of Wimac.

Awesome again.

Bill

PaulG-rc
2009-04-16, 07:08 AM
Good job, very very nice, looking foward to see the graphics on it soon. :D

wild
2009-04-16, 04:08 PM
Awesome Finish Denis !

I know It will fly as good as it look's
:):)

Hank

Denis Cloutier
2009-04-16, 10:27 PM
:( Tonight I install the graphics. Unfortunatly my estimate of the size was wrong. I put them on any way to measure the wright size and I place a new order with Callie Graphics. I have to make it as close possible to the real chopper. Here are some photos of the wrong graphics applied.

PaulG-rc
2009-04-16, 10:34 PM
Darn thats a setback :(

LAMAHORSE
2009-04-17, 06:13 AM
You'll,
do better next time buddy...
Can't wait to see the new graphic size on her...

Now you will just need a very nice helipath at WIMAC.
To hover land this helicopter straight and nicely ...

PaulG-rc
2009-05-07, 01:51 PM
Denis comment va le project du Colibri :)

zorba
2009-05-07, 06:56 PM
yea come on Denis lets see the results man!

Did you get the new decals yet?
Keep us posted.
Bill

LAMAHORSE
2009-05-08, 05:33 AM
Oh,oh,,,
Where is Mr.Denis???

Denis Cloutier
2009-05-08, 08:14 AM
I forgot some stickers that I will receive next week ( the Yellow ribbon and the AIR 2 on the tail) I did some work on the «Night Sun Rack» I will post some photos tonight.

PaulG-rc
2009-05-08, 08:17 AM
Cool! looking foward to tonight then.

I think I will take a chance and go to my club and fly today ,just not shure on weather, very unstable. :rolleyes:

Denis Cloutier
2009-05-09, 01:41 AM
Here are the latest pictures. I an waiting fo to smal stickers to finish the look. The word AIR 2 on the Tail and a troup support yellow ribbon for the tail. The one I got last time were too big or too small. All my fault, mesuring is not my best talent. I should get them next week so planing to put 3 coat of clear next weekend. In the mean time I got my Sceadu MDX today and is now on step 13 of 39.:D

LAMAHORSE
2009-05-09, 06:14 AM
She shure look awesome Denis...
Looking foward to cross path soon to see it at WIMAC.

Great work Buddy!

PaulG-rc
2009-05-09, 06:37 AM
Amazing Denis just awsome, looking foward to see it airborne. :D

PaulG-rc
2009-05-28, 10:35 AM
Denis any progress on the 120?

Denis Cloutier
2009-05-28, 10:42 AM
The paint is finish. last night I install the Fenestron, position lights, rotary red light and the Sun Light with my home made bracket. Tonight I should finish the front light and electronics for all lights. The mechanics are ready to install. I guest that this week end I should be ready to fire up the engine for the first time .... maybe on Sunday?? I will post. Pictures coming tonight.:D

PaulG-rc
2009-05-28, 10:47 AM
Thats great news Denis, if its sunday at WiMAC I will be there for shure even if its only an motor run :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-05-28, 09:26 PM
Lots more work than I anticipated. Electronics take a lot of planing inside the fuse. Where am I going to put all theses wires??????? I had to go tonight to get 24 inches extensions for all servos leads to reach the receiver that will be under the cabin. I have to figure where all the batteries are going, 1 for the receiver, 1 for the starter and one for the lights and hook. If the weather is nice on Sunday I will bring it to the club so you can look at it from closer. Here is some pictures taken from my phone the camera is at the office.:o

PaulG-rc
2009-05-28, 09:34 PM
I know the feeling, I did cut most wires to make them just the lenght I needed. I then covered them with duck tape since I dont have a finish cockpit.
Looking foward to see it. :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-05-29, 05:57 AM
Looks awsome in the office buddy.
I'm shure your making your co-workers dream !

Sunday at WIMAC hey?
I would have gone there to photoshoot your helicopter
even if it is only static,,, but have got to be at a military location salon
with the LAMA SA-315B (SAR) for the hole day.

Ho well,
I'm shure I'll have the chance to see it somewhere in the week days this summer with you somehow.

Happy fire-up buddy Denis !!!

Denis Cloutier
2009-05-30, 12:43 AM
Tonight I manage to install the mechanics. I am trying to decide the best locations for the electronics and 4 batteries! From what I can see the batteries are just heavy enough to balance the heli. Some weights will be needed to balance the heli when the fuel is full or 1/2 full. I the weather cooperate i will go to the field and bring it Saturday or Sunday.
:blingbling:

PaulG-rc
2009-05-30, 05:50 AM
Cool! but was hoping for sunday as I might go to my Club today but now not shure, the forecast is rain in the morning ,clearing afternoon and winds picking up to 30 gusting to 40 plus again.
I cant wait to see it up close. :D

PaulG-rc
2009-05-30, 06:23 AM
Ok Denis

No go for my club today so I will wait for your post if you go to WIMAC today.
You might be able to fly your other heli before it gets very windy today.
They just issued a strong wind warning here for this afternoon and sunday. :mad:

Denis Cloutier
2009-05-30, 04:10 PM
I went to the field for 1 hour this morning. Rain and wind most of the time. But now the sun is out so I am going back around 4:30. Here is some pictures of this morning.

beto9
2009-05-30, 05:12 PM
Nice looking chopper, buddy!

PaulG-rc
2009-05-30, 05:21 PM
Oh well I waitted all morning checking every 30 min to see if you were going and nothing so at noon cut the grass then went riding my bike and just came in to see your were there and going back,now its too late you must of left already. :(
Shure is looking good Denis

Denis Cloutier
2009-05-31, 12:57 AM
Tonight I installed sound proofing foam inside the fuselage. I recharge all batteries for tomorrow. I just need to connect all wires to the receiver and I can test the engine. I will be at the club by 12:00 Sunday.:mango:

LAMAHORSE
2009-05-31, 05:14 AM
Very nice Denis,
You have done a wonderfull job on her.

Will see you machine next time your in at WIMAC.
Your photos are nice buddy!

Okay, I'm preparing the LAMA to be fit in my car
and Zoom to the salon event...

PaulG-rc
2009-05-31, 05:20 AM
Chucks, I guess I will miss it again since I decided to go to the RC Expo

The wind is already blowing like crazy at 5:30am

wild
2009-05-31, 08:08 PM
That's one nice machine Denis Nice Work !

Hank:)

JimmyG
2009-06-01, 07:13 AM
Very nice Denis. It's looking realy good.

PaulG-rc
2009-06-01, 09:08 AM
Denis here is the light set I have on the Ecureuil

http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/RCLights.html

I have the V3
http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/LightKits/Lazertoyz-V3-RC-LITES.jpg

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-01, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info, looks good and prices are OK.

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-06, 04:16 AM
It's 4:00 am and the Hirobo EC120 Colibri is ready for the first motor test. All electronics is install and connected. The only thing left to do after motor test and trimming the chopper will be to install the windows and canopy. I will post pictures later this morning. Should be at the field around 12:00.:D

:party:

PaulG-rc
2009-06-06, 05:59 AM
:partytime::spin::spin: I will be there yes I will :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-06, 11:08 AM
Her are some pictures of the wirering task on this heli.:eek:

PaulG-rc
2009-06-06, 03:32 PM
Here are a couple pictures taken today at the field during system testing.
A real nice looking bird :D and getting nicer too :D

finnegan
2009-06-06, 03:45 PM
Looks great Denis.
Good job!

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-06, 10:34 PM
I am back working in the electrical system. Some lights and the siren have to be reassigned; I program 2 things on the same switch. S I will review all 12 channels and switch assignment before the next attempt. For now the motor is working but running a bit hot, need to be adjusted.:confused:

PaulG-rc
2009-06-06, 10:37 PM
Dont go to bed too late again Denis :D
Electrical should be done with a rested head.:)

LAMAHORSE
2009-06-07, 05:36 AM
That is cool buddy,
It did pretty good hey ...

It will be flying circuit soon by what I see ...

beto9
2009-06-07, 10:05 AM
The best part is when Denis flips a switch, puts the glow driver on, flips another switch and the on-board electric starter spools the glow engine and startst it!
Cooooool!
I want one in every plane!

Mike, when are you.....? Eh!

matador_24
2009-06-07, 10:16 AM
That helicopter is just amazing Denis..... amazing!

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-09, 09:44 AM
:oops:
I realize that all the wires cant be in the front. There is not enough place and it restrict airflow for the motor.
:swear:
So I took the mechanic out and I an rerouting all electronics except batteries in the tail were I have tons of space. It's worth my time to do it right this Helli deserve to be perfect. But it's going fast so I hope to use this week rain to finish everything for next weekend.:D

JimmyG
2009-06-09, 02:18 PM
Take your time Denis. It’s easier to do it once than revisit.
I have a sneaking suspicion that your over heat is because you exhaust pipe extension is to small.
I had the same problem with the MD500 as I had to extend the pipe out the fuselage

Xavier
2009-06-17, 08:47 PM
I decided to go fly after work since it was sunny. There was a bit of wind but that keeps the mosquitos away. Denis was there too and did a few lift off with his new heli. Nice machine :-)

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-17, 09:38 PM
Liftoff!!!:D

I went for a secret test tonight. When I got there I was alone, perfect, but I forgot the stupid GAS!!!! Went back home to get some and when I came back Xavier was there with somebody. No problems anyway for security reason I prefer to have somebody there.

After 1 tank on the tarmac I push-it just a bit and I was hovering!! Not to many adjustment on the balance and 0 adjustment on all trim except 20 right on the fenestron.
:party:

I still have trouble adjusting the motor, too rich I have not enough power. Anybody has standard adjustment for a OS 91? I can't find the manual an I have no clue on adjustment of the medium and main screw.:confused:

I just install all windows so now it is ready for it's first public real flight.
:invasion: :4ERIK:

:sorrysign: Paul, I could not wait and was not sure it would work. The next time every thing will be install, it will make better photos...

Elgreco
2009-06-17, 09:45 PM
This a paste and copy from Ben Minor, an MRC pilot with extensive knowledge on Hirobo and engine and machine tune up.

Here ya go:

The key to a break in process is understanding that you CAN get away with just a few fairly rich tanks and then letting it rip. THIS said, engines treated this way never develop their absolute power capability because the fit of the ring and sleeve is never optimized through a more methodical, patient break in.

I'll take a new engine a burn the better part of (at least half) a gallon in a rich hover. I'll land every one in a while and let the engine idle for a bit. If I get bored, I'll do some gentle circuits, but I don't turn on the idle up. Head speed is at most 1450-1500 rpm. You needn't shake the model to death running it too rich, but you know well enough what nice and rich means.

When I get to the next gallon, I'll fly the engine upstairs. Gentle aerobatics are OK, but DO NOT load the engine hard. It's wise to depitch the collective so you can get to WOT without lugging the head. You can't set the high speed needle if the engine is loaded up with 14 degrees of postive pitch. Think more along the lines of 8 or 9D at WOT in FFF. You can add the pitch back later on. The needle will be set so that it's just barely lean enough to be mostly "clean", but it'll still break rich on occassion. Now, here's the trick: when an engine is just barely leaned in enough to run as I describe and as it progesses through break in, you'll notice it get more rich than where you had it originally set. All you do then is lean the high speed a click or two to get the mixture right back where it was, IE just a bit rich. The engine will repeat this process over the better part of 2-3 gallons of fuel. It'll "ask" to be leaned in just a fuzz every few tanks of fuel. During this methodical process, you're optimizing the fit between the ring and sleeve, which has a big reward in power in the end. When the needle setting stops getting a bit rich every few tanks of fuel, you're more or less broken in. Since you've been maintaining a slightly rich needle, you can tune more for maximum power at this point. Given the tremendous power that the HZ has, you'll need to think twice about whether you really need to lean the thing in to the point it's running as hard as it can. A bit a margin is good for engine longevity. At this point, you need to go back and fine tune the midrange needle to be just a few clicks richer than as lean as you can get it without any midrange cackle. Doing this maximizes midrange torque and response. If the midrange is too rich, you'll be tempted to overlean the high speed to compensate. This SCREWS EVERYTHING UP.

If you do the quick and sloppy break in method, you'll never see these subtle changes in needle settings as the ring beds in. In some ways, engines treated this way aren't being broken in; they're being "worn" in. Fuel isn't cheap, but these engines darn sure aren't either. To me it's worth spending the time and effort through 2-3 gallons of fuel to really get that broken in correctly, after which you'll have a stump puller for dozens of more gallons before an overhaul is needed.

Ben Minor

Representing
MRC Hirobo Helicopters and Team Futaba for Radios
Morgan Fuels
OS Engines

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-17, 09:57 PM
Thanks a lot Mario. I will follow the directions.

PaulG-rc
2009-06-17, 11:07 PM
Fantastic Denis :spin::spin: glad it went good, I was working today anyway I just got in.
I flew my Ecureuil tuesday evening at WIMAC .
I hope to be there on the next test :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-18, 07:13 AM
Hey Mario
OS just answer my email and they suggest theses settings to start:

Needle Settings:

High Speed: 2 turns out from fully closed
Mid Range: 1/2 turn open
Mixture Control (low speed): indentation on screw
head straight up and down (vertical)

Elgreco
2009-06-18, 07:26 AM
Thanks Denis, I'll try it next time on the Turb. I think I have the middle 1 turn..

zorba
2009-06-18, 08:47 PM
Hey Mario, did yuou try the Skookum yet?

I want to know...
Denis fantastic job man. We should bring my EC-155b at the field next time youre there and do a photo shoot maybe Paul can bring his also..

Cheers

Elgreco
2009-06-18, 08:57 PM
Billyyyyyyy...work,work,work...

I just hovered it to see if all was ok, and I have to adjust a bit my gyro since I am using a new model in the TX.

Other than that, it has insane (by my standards) cyclic movement. Even faster than my Turbulence which was a big increase from my sceadu.

All I can say is, I was scared and just put it down for now as I had no intentions that day to tweak it, just hover to see.

I have to dedicate one day with the laptop on the field to properly tune it.

Anyway, it really looks promising and I would like to get to it sooner than later. There goes almost half the season already.

PaulG-rc
2009-06-18, 10:23 PM
Bill thats a great idea I would love to do a photo shoot :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-18, 11:06 PM
Tonight I finish installing the canopy and windows. I also install the black trim around all windows. The electronics is all install and hidden under the cockpit, it looks organize now. Hiding all the wires was the biggest job of that build. Just to think that I still have to install the Helicommand module when I install the 3 blades head is giving me nightmares!:eek:

If it does not rain in the afternoon Friday I will be at the club to make the final adjustments on the motor, and maybe a few flights.:yes:

PaulG-rc
2009-06-18, 11:10 PM
Too bad I leave for work at 1pm :o

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-19, 10:41 AM
The rain is pushing back my next test flights on Sunday. In the meantime I am starting a new project.

Eurocopter Fennec AS350 Civilian with the mechanic of my Hirobo SDX.

PaulG-rc
2009-06-19, 10:44 AM
Good stuff.
Might be able to make it sunday,its my days off sat,sun,mon, keep me posted

zorba
2009-06-19, 07:09 PM
DENIS I am not talking to you.
Not fair you know. some of us just barely make it and wishing of having something nice and some of us just go out and buy it. Is really nice looking bird Denis. Just kidding with you. But WAIT my turn will come soon.
Hah just wait. Now I better get on the net and start searching for that illusive heli.

Cheers

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-20, 01:25 AM
Billy
Aerodyne is planing to release 4 new fuselage for December:
AH-64 Appache (600 size)
UH-60 Black Hawk (600 size)
Blue Thunder (600 size)
and
Eurocopter EC145 (500 size)

I leave you the first choice of the first 3 ;)

But my choice is already made...:D guest witch one

zorba
2009-06-20, 06:24 AM
The 145 of course.
I'm not into warbirds Deny.
But If I was going to, I'll go electric.
Nitro is fine but messy and noisy, realistic sound is what I'm after that's why I converted the 155 to electric. Like Paul's machine sounds nice but no flybar.

I'll take the blue thunder, So hands off:p:p:p
Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-06-20, 07:03 AM
I will most likely get the EC-145 since I'm planning on getting the T-Rex 500 ESP very soon :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-20, 09:50 AM
Since I already have a UH1 the UH-60 would have been my choice, so much history with that bird. My next 600 fuse will be the AH-60 Appache.:rolleyes: warbird ???

PaulG-rc
2009-06-20, 08:21 PM
These are pictures taken at WIMAC saturday june 20 2009, Denis C test flew his beautiful EC120 Colibri with the 2 blade head and it flew simply fantastic. We took a few videos that will be edited later to upload. He also had a Jet Ranger and we took a group photo of our helis .
My Day started at MRCC with Hal B and it was a good wind and a few drops later so we left at 1 pm.
I then made a stop at WIMAC to visit the boys and had 3 heli flights.
There was no wind there just perfect.:D

Pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulG91/Colibri120AndSqirrelAS355NAtWIMAC#

Paul

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-20, 10:41 PM
:oI am still working on the video, I have problems wit the software to transfer the video on my computer. But I will post them as soon as I fix the problem with the old software.

PaulG-rc
2009-06-20, 10:44 PM
How was the last video I took Denis?

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-20, 10:50 PM
Je viens de voir les photos ...Super Paul très bon cliché:D

PaulG-rc
2009-06-20, 10:53 PM
Je les aimes bien aussi, mais j'ai hate de voir surtout les videos :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-21, 02:39 AM
Les vidéos sont bon :) mais pas encore prêt.:mad:

PaulG-rc
2009-06-21, 04:18 AM
Les joies de la technologie :D

PaulG-rc
2009-06-22, 07:38 PM
Since Denis has a small problem with the video transfer software I decided to upload a small clip I had until the more complete one comes out. :D

YouTube - EC120 colibri testflight 1

turkana
2009-06-22, 08:02 PM
So Denis get that Servo they use for sailboats and build a winch, would be supercool. Regards Pete

turkana
2009-06-22, 08:08 PM
I found this. Could be very intresting and looks real sweet. http://www.lmi-racing.com/50017295130cac901/0000009ac30bdbf7b/0000009ac00d91e01/0000009b9d089f303.php

Reagrds Pete

PaulG-rc
2009-06-22, 08:12 PM
That is very cool! I might consider it for my Sqirrel :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-23, 12:44 AM
Thanks Pete

Will order it for the next project. price is good and work perfectly.

Denis Cloutier
2009-06-23, 12:48 AM
Thank for the video Paul. The software is install but too much work today to do the video. Tonight I prep the Hirobo UH-1B Iroquois for the next test flight tomorrow around 4:00 pm.

turkana
2009-06-23, 06:53 AM
Good luck with the Iroquais! Happy landings!

PaulG-rc
2009-06-23, 08:48 PM
Another great day for Denis and his EC120 Colibri :D

This is another video clip of day 2 in testing the EC120 Colibri.
It was a beautiful sunny day very warm but very windy.
Still Denis flew it very well.:D

http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulG91/EC120ColibriDay2#

YouTube - EC120 colibri testflight 2

turkana
2009-06-23, 10:07 PM
That smoke aint right Denis so you should get one of these http://wrenturbines.co.uk/engines/helicopter/44helicopter should be a perfect fit!. Regards Pete

turkana
2009-06-23, 10:11 PM
Also the JEtcat PHT 2 is build for 90 size mechanics like the wren so this also could be a good fit here http://www.heli-factory.com/modelle/bk-117/bk-117-pht-2-medicopter/index.html Regards Pete

bob forest
2009-06-24, 07:15 AM
Dropped by the field today, and took a few pics of Denis Heli. Just beautiful. here they are.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/bforest6/DenisWithHisBeautifulHeli?authkey=Gv1sRgCNaRo7rS5p KOiwE#

Denis Cloutier
2009-07-01, 08:34 AM
The rain this week has given me the time to build a bit. I started by putting my SDX in a MD500 body from Thunder Tiger. It is ready to fly.
My Lama and UH-1 is also ready after some ajutment last week :D

Next I started to install the 3 blade flybarless head on my EC120B. I have to readjust the pitch and throttle curve. The head speed should not exceed 1800rpm with a operation speed of 1700rpm. The amount of pitch is now with my old setup (regular head) at +20 to -20. Hirobo suggest -5 to +9 with take off at +4 and hovering at +5.:confused:

I started to read the Helicommand documentation, complicated but manageable. I hope to have everything ready to test next week.

LAMAHORSE
2009-07-02, 07:21 AM
It looks like,
someone as left the hanger door open at Denis home,,,he,he!
All Denis helicopters are ready to go for a spin after years of hanger darkness,,,lol...

Glade you manage to go foward and get a fiew flights on them Buddy Denis.
They are so awesome!

Have some great reading!

Denis Cloutier
2009-07-09, 10:06 PM
I just finish installing my Helicommand Rigid and the 3 blades head. I am going to test the heli Friday afternoon.

LAMAHORSE
2009-07-10, 06:49 AM
Let us,
know how it did fly with that helicommand system.
Have you manage to set the system a great way Buddy?

Anyhow,
have a great day today at WIMAC.
It looks very nice as weather goes for a first-time 3 headrotors spin...