PDA

View Full Version : new here and to the sport

MCCRACKEN
2009-03-23, 06:58 AM
Hi
I've bought a nitro hellcat and it needs to be put together. All the parts are there but no instruction. I bought it new on ebay and tried to get the instruction but its been nothing but trouble. I'm looking for someone to put it together and I will paid them. Also looking for a older used engine. If someone can help it would be great. I'm near Hudson. Thanks!

Warbird RC Model (F6F Hellcat-90)

Product Description

Wing Span 63in /1675mm
Wing Area 740sq in / 48sqdm
Fuselage Length 51in / 1292mm
Flying Weight 8.3lbs / 3800g
Engine Required 2 C 0.60 cu in. 4C 0.91 cu in
Radio Required 6Channels 8servos

Key Features:
Top quality balsa and plywood construction with fiberglass fuselage
Premium hand iron-on covering film
Comes with pre-painted fiberglass cowling by fuel proof paint
Functional flaps for smoother landing
Retractable landing gears
Comes with all hardware and accessories

Model: F6F Hellcat -90

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-23, 07:12 AM
Good day MCCRACKEN,

Welcome at WIMAC site,
Someone should be with you shortly about your issue with your
F6F Hellcat-90...

Some of the members here are top Masters to build airplanes,,,
So take a coffee and watch your post been reply soon!!!

That should be a great War plane to fly in the coming months,,,
Is it your first Rc plane?

Regards
LAMAHORSE

turkana
2009-03-23, 07:16 AM
Hi MC Cracken
Welcome to a great Forum. Well were to start? You state that you are new to the sport , so for me means you are a novice when it comes to flying or building, right?So do not get me wrong, if you are truely new to this sport, then you definatly got the wrong plane to begin with!It always makes sense to get a cheap trainer and practice and belive me you will crash or at least crashland and yo do notwant youre nice warbird to be smashed in an instant. But thats just my opinion and I belive its the way to go. Buy something cheap, gather experience then go bigger and better, its all about experience.

Regards Pete

LAMAHORSE
2009-03-23, 07:40 AM
Dont get's use ron here,
You have a great plane ,,, for later after mastering some basic flying rules...
You could always get this F6F Hellcat-90 on the flying roll later on...

That way you will much appreciate this hobby...
If you are a already Full life scale pilot,,, well then
you have the basic theories of flying on hand,,,
but the control will be a little more different with your fingers driving the Rc aircraft ,,, but it should provide you some great basic of how planes fly,,, that all,,, and not mastering the Rc flying yet...

MCCRACKEN
2009-03-23, 09:28 AM
I am 100% beginners beginner. I know the f6f is to much plane at this point and will be for sometime but I would still like to have it built with engine even if it sits. I will be buying a beginner plane for sure. I'm sure there is a huge learning curve and I have no problem with that. So whatever help I can get I will take. Forums like this one is were you get the best information. Once again THANKS!

Denis Cloutier
2009-03-23, 01:04 PM
First thing to buy is a good simulator and spend a lot of time on-it. Every minute on a simulator is worth $$ you will not have to pay to repair your plane after a crash.:tomcat:

briankizner
2009-03-23, 05:10 PM
It sounds like you have the right idea. The aircraft you bought should be a real beauty and I am sure you will find people to help you build it. Perhaps one of the more experienced pilots will even fly it for you.
However, as for you flying it any time soon, forget it. It will be a handful. Buy a trainer. There are many on the market, some of them ready to fly and others that you will have to build. Either way would be fine. Some of the ready to fly models even come with an appropriate simulator, engine and radio to get you out of the box and into the air very quickly. Some of them even have a warranty and will repair or replace your plane if it is damaged during flight with a club-sanctioned instructor. The Almost- Ready to- fly models are not always of the highest quality but they are good enough to get you into the air. Any trainer you buy will have characteristics that will help you succeed. That is, they will be slow flying and stable, with no tendency to spin or tip stall. WIMAC has always been a club which welcomed beginners and you will find the club has instructors who will be happy to help you learn how to fly. I was one of those instructors for many years but I am no longer living in the Montreal area and so cannot help you except with replies like this one.
I suggest you join WIMAC and get to know the instructors. Buy one of the many trainers out there. Some are better than others but almost all of them are adequate. Most guys start out with .40 or .46 glow engines although there would be no problem finding a good trainer for a .60 engine which would allow you to use the same engine on both planes- helpful if your engine budget is limited. You may even find the things you need in our classified ads.
If you search around in the forums, you will find several posts like yours with similar responses. Many, many of us start out with planes that are too much for us to handle. You are fortunate that experienced people are giving you advice before the inevitable crash.
Welcome to the hobby. You'll love it.

beto9
2009-03-23, 05:26 PM
Further to the good advice already given:
1) Before buying come to WIMAC and talk to the people.
2) Make your selection based on that advice and then go to the hobby shop.
3) Used equipment, if in good shape, is a great start.
4) Simulators save many more dollars than they cost but... you have to have the right computer for it. Check the simulator requirements. Talk to the people about which one. Many very experienced flyiers test their manouvers in the simulator before commiting their $$$$ planes.
5) This is a very helpful community, maybe several different opinions on the same subject but the intention is to help.
6) It is a very enjoyable hobby...

JMAR
2009-03-23, 05:49 PM
I happen to have a PT60 trainer available.

www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0119.html

Perfect condition, Flown only about 5 times.
It is a 60 size trainer that I built from a kit about 8 years ago for my wife.
She never kept interest so it has been just collecting dust.
I could supply it ready to fly including;
OS 61 FSR ABC engine.
Servos and receiver, and battery installed.
I could also include an old futaba transmitter or a newer JR transmitter.
(X347).
I would also be available to test fly it and train you on it.
If you are interested just respond, and I could provide further info.

John Marcelissen

MCCRACKEN
2009-03-24, 07:08 PM
I bought a B29 electric. Its made of foam and it will used to train on until I get a nitro trainer. I'm also looking into a simulator. I can see I will have to make my hobby room bigger.