PDA

View Full Version : AeroWorks Extra 260 35%

Michael V
2009-09-07, 10:26 PM
So I started my 35% a few weeks ago. I am going to start a thread.
I started with the engine DA-100, it is used. I got it off Paul B and I know it runs great because a fellow member has been using it for the past few weeks.
I started with the engine because I am putting tuned pipes in the fuse.
The plane comes "pipe ready" as AeroWorks says but you have to do a little work.

I put the throttle servo and next.

Dwight Macdonald
2009-09-07, 10:33 PM
Looking good michael!

Ron Willoughby
2009-09-08, 04:19 PM
Holly Blankety Blankety--- Blankety Blank Blank Blank!!! Sure looks great; can I go for a ride in it when it's finished? I'm sure it will be the sweetest machine in Quebec.

Chris Bowes
2009-09-08, 07:02 PM
Holy crap, that is some serious equipment there, i never saw cans that big!

Michael V
2009-09-08, 10:11 PM
Dwight, Ron and Chris.
Chris those are Tuned Pipes, MTW RE2.
Tuned pipes incease an engine power are a little quiter than stock but nat as quit as can's.
I love MORE POWER :)

Michael V
2009-10-05, 10:50 PM
So my wife is passed due :( 6 days now. And all weekend long I have been waiting at home with her for something to happen and nothing did. So what did I do at home while I waiting. BUILT OF COURSE :)
I got the motor on and drilled the prop, the switchs in (man those were a pain to put in), hor stabs assembled, made custom wires length (using ThunderboltRC stuff) for rud and elev servo's, put the batts and reciever in. Glued the Rudder on and build the rudder set-up. Two JR 8611 in the tail (push-pull set-up) CF push rods SWEET.
Oh and see the throtle servo in the first pic, it sat to high and would contact the headers so I attached it from inside the motor box as you can see in the 2nd pic, pretty low, ah.

Michael V
2009-10-05, 10:58 PM
I forgot to put these in the last post.

Dwight Macdonald
2009-10-05, 11:03 PM
Very nice Michael! Are the control horns you are using supplied in the kit?

Kevin Rochon
2009-10-06, 01:37 PM
Very nice indeedare those motor mount spacers bearings?

Kevin

xed
2009-10-06, 02:18 PM
Spacers come with all AeroWorks models that I have seen so far...

I'm using them on my Pilot-RC (just one spacer per bolt).

Kevin Rochon
2009-10-07, 01:28 PM
I didn't get any with my itsybitsy Aeroworks(not like you big guys;)), but I won`t need any with the ZDZ.

kevin

Michael V
2009-10-15, 12:05 AM
Wings are done and programmed, fuel tank is in and all wires are put in there place.
I use a slimline fuelling system on all my planes, it uses two nuts to hold it onto the fuse. the inside one is 16mm in size and is hard to tighten. So I have a trick. Cut out a piece of the fuse and attach the fueler body and then glue the wood back onto the body.

Michael V
2009-10-15, 12:09 AM
the other pic's that show the installation

Michael V
2009-10-15, 12:18 AM
One of the last things to do is program the two servo in each wing.
This is a time consuming task and a pain. But it needs to be done if you want the most out of your servo's.

So I just have to cut the cowl and test fit the airplane together for the fist time tomorrow. I am hoping to go to the field later in the day, to run the motor and test a few things.

Michael V
2009-10-17, 09:59 PM
So I cut the cowl, wow that is a pain in the "as I was saying" :)
I put it all together this afternoon while everyone was taking a nap:). Had a few things to adjust(throttle linkage) and a couple of the bind nut didn't line up.
I started the motor! it's very quit! I was so surprised. It's spinning the Mej 28-10 6700rpm, the RE2 tuned pipe have a better med-range then the KS pipe I have on my Yak.
I hope to get out tomorrow and fly her. Although still have to check the C.G. so if I am off a lot I will have to scrap the maiden.
I have to put in a note here: AeroWorks says this is an 8-10hr build. I beg to differ, it took me 20 plus hrs

Kevin Rochon
2009-10-19, 02:12 PM
Congradulation Michael on the maiden yesterday:D

I don't think I ever saw you so nervous:shocked:, but you did great as usual.;)

Kevin

Dwight Macdonald
2009-10-19, 02:35 PM
Congratulations Michael! How did it sound in the air?

Michael V
2009-10-19, 05:57 PM
I was very nervous, when you have so much invested(time and money) it is only natural to be.
Dwight it was a little loader then yours but still much quieter then the Yak.
I am spinning a Mej 28-10 6700rpm at the field, when I get a 3bl 25-12 I am sure it will be very quiet.
Andrew took some great pictures, I am hoping he will post here soon.

beto9
2009-10-19, 07:44 PM
I was very nervous, when you have so much invested(time and money) it is only natural to be.
Dwight it was a little loader then yours but still much quieter then the Yak.
I am spinning a Mej 28-10 6700rpm at the field, when I get a 3bl 25-12 I am sure it will be very quiet.
Andrew took some great pictures, I am hoping he will post here soon.
Mikey... did you go inverted on takeoff????????

Congrats! Never seen pipes so long! How many more Km/h you get just by the gases coming out of them?
I know you are disappointed it is quieter than the Yak but... them's the breaks!