PDA

View Full Version : TT UH-1Y in Griffon Canadian SAR build

PaulG-rc
2009-09-28, 08:59 AM
Here we go weather is real bad this week so I started in the build of my friends UH-1Y in Canadian SAR colors.
So today spent a couple hours just cutting the vacuum form parts and there are a few of them :eek:
For the top windows I wanted to tint green but found that a pop bottle did very well so I cut out the windows form it already and looks good. :D
So bit by bit it happening .:D

PaulG-rc
2009-09-28, 03:35 PM
A bit more parts cut and ready to be identified and assembled. :eek:
A bit more work then my TT AS355N Sqirrel :D

PaulG-rc
2009-09-28, 09:18 PM
A bit more tonight, the framing is done :) so less part left to assemble now :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-09-28, 09:29 PM
Yeaaaaaaaa ,,,
looking good buddy,,,

what else to do then start some fally rain project ...
and that is some major nice project you got started Bud...

Glade you did,,, I would !!! :D

PaulG-rc
2009-09-28, 10:19 PM
Well the cockpit framing is done, all went well so far and thats it for tonight :D
to keep going now I would need the mechanic but I dont have it yet so I will try to do some work on the fuselage were the mechanic is not needed.

PaulG-rc
2009-09-29, 06:54 AM
Going good so far but now I need the mechanic to keep going and I dont have it yet ,Jim is still assembling it and needs more items for it.
I will try to do some work on the fuselage itself as I have to do some changes because the CH-146 Griffon is not exactly like the Venom.
The differences are mostly on the exaust and intake and the upper part, not shure if I can change much but I will look at this. There is also the stab that is not as far back as the Venom.
There is also the tail section mechanic that I can assemble for now.
One thing I really like about this model is the way the fuselage is design , you can really have easy access to the mechanic for inspection. :D

PaulG-rc
2009-09-29, 03:23 PM
Ok day 3 after 10 hrs on it .
Today I did the grills, the exaust mod, the intakes, also made a new belly front cover like the Griffon and fiited the green top windows. getting there slowly :D

xed
2009-09-29, 03:25 PM
So these are cool and all but you never explain what materials you use, for example, for the grills or the green tints or the wire cutters, come from...

Is this your trade secret? :D

EDIT: Well I guess I missed the first message in this thread, the pop bottle...

PaulG-rc
2009-09-29, 03:31 PM
Shure I do if its not from the kit :)
Ok at the bigining you see my green window material, the pop bottle.
the plate under the belly is from thin plastic sheets, the grill , the silver is from the kit and the black is cutout from a those covers that you put on the pans when cooking :D
Wire cutters are done with plastic sheets and in 3 parts.

Now I have to start on the tail rotor mechanical parts :)

PaulG-rc
2009-09-29, 05:35 PM
A bit more this afternoon, I assembled the tail rotor mechanic 2 part but not secure since I need the heli mechanic to install it on :rolleyes:
Looking good :)
I will see if I can proceed with the skids without the Heli Mechanic then proceed with drilling the holes for the covers :)

Yup, I see Jim smilling now :D

Jimmy I need the heli and light system .......lets go lets go lets go :D:D:D

PaulG-rc
2009-09-29, 08:18 PM
Ok thats it for today, the skids are installed ,top and front are fitted temporarly. Time for a break :D:D

JimmyG
2009-09-30, 07:46 AM
Yup, I see Jim smilling now :D

Jimmy I need the heli and light system .......lets go lets go lets go :D:D:D

Very Nice Paul!! And yes I am smiling. :D:D:D:
I should have everything done by Saturday for a hover test in the back yard after witch I will drop it off so that you can take it apart. :D

PaulG-rc
2009-09-30, 07:51 AM
:D thats a good one, rushing to assemble to test for me to take it appart :D:D
Sounds good ,maybe I can pass by for the test if you want.
If the weather is as nice as it is these days I should be around :D

PaulG-rc
2009-09-30, 10:05 AM
This morning a bit more.
Install the back tail covers ,also the side doors, made them to be able to have them open or close with 3 small screws.
Also cut out the cockpit pieces ,instrument panel ,console and seats but not shure if the battery will be in the way, I need the heli mechanics to check that :D:D:D

LAMAHORSE
2009-10-01, 05:58 AM
Nice going PAul,

That is great that Jimmy is getting the mechanic ready.
Soon it will fly with Paul having this Griffon on hand in built process...

Cool!
Maybe befort winter ?

PaulG-rc
2009-10-01, 07:03 AM
Lets not get ahead of the game here , :) I need the mechanic to do all the fittings and holes that need to be done at the proper place so that I can go ahead with the priming and painting. Unless Jim wants to take it as is, it does look good in the marine scheme. :D
Since I have to paint in the garage and the cold weather is approaching fast Its not looking too good right now for me to paint it before winter.
Time will tell :D

Did a bit more on it last night but its just little details like adding little plywood squares in the fuselage were the little screws screw in. Then covered them with epoxy ,re-drill the holes and added clear silicone on top of them so the screws wont come out.
Now I will do the same for the tail rotor covers.
That will be it until I get the heli mechanic unfortunatly, since I know there will be more drilling and cutting and then I might even test hover it before the primer just to make shure.

PaulG-rc
2009-10-22, 05:25 PM
Jim brought over the Raptor mechanic today so I started taking it appart to install the parts for the tail rotor.
I hit a wall :o the fitting does not fit as its suppose to because the frame is different, seems that the TiTan that the Uh-1Y requires has a different frame then the Raptor 625E at the boom support.
I will have to cut the alluminium side support and drill 2 new holes in the frame, I just hope its going to work out because I dont see any other way around this. :confused:

zorba
2009-10-22, 07:31 PM
Hey Paul, are these the colors we are talking about?

PaulG-rc
2009-10-22, 07:36 PM
Thats it Bill

Ok so I got through the first hurttle ok and thats it for tonight ,that gave me a headhake :D

zorba
2009-10-22, 07:43 PM
I knew you could do it..LOl
See, 4 screws and the tail is off. It should work..
Go and have yourself a break...

PaulG-rc
2009-10-22, 07:46 PM
Actually this part will stay on the frame...............at least it better because ......well I better not say this here :D

Bill thank you very much for sharing this project with me I really appreciate this, I know your paint work will be outstanding :D

PaulG-rc
2009-10-22, 09:35 PM
Just tried to fit the mechanic inside the fuse and I need to raise the mechanic for the rotorhead to clear the top, to do that need to cut the canopy post hold, thats something I didn't want to do in the event Jim wants to put it back as a boom heli.
Found some pictures from Gonzalo's thread and thats what he also did so I guess I have to do it too.
The only other way would be to cut slots in the top part of the fuse and that would not look good. :rolleyes:
This is getting to be some project :cool:

zorba
2009-10-22, 11:02 PM
Do it I have cofindence in you like you have cofindence in me. Together we'll make this an outstanding project..

Just takeyour time and get some sleep......zzzzzzzzzzzzz

PaulG-rc
2009-10-22, 11:06 PM
:D Ok Bill good idea, getting tired now, too much to think.
Even the 2 formers that have to be glued in the tail section worries me now :rolleyes: not shure how I'm gona get in there.

zorba
2009-10-22, 11:15 PM
you'll figure it out I'm sure
Anyway check this site out cool
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin2/ch-146_walk.htm

zorba
2009-10-22, 11:21 PM
Paul, I've been looking alot of photos of the Griffon and then I looked at Jim's model and it looks like the Griffon is a Bell 412
Which model is Jim's???

PaulG-rc
2009-10-23, 06:37 AM
Jims has the military version of the CH-146 ,UH-1Y Venom

LAMAHORSE
2009-10-23, 07:52 AM
Nice going Paul,
you have done my with great succes,,,
so i wont be worry for that one to be a succes also.

Sleep buddy,,, sleep... :D

PaulG-rc
2009-10-23, 08:06 AM
Sleep!!!! I got up at 6am this morning , I sleeped enough :D

Ok so this morning the canopy posts are cut the spacers to lift the mechanic at a proper clearence hight are done and just have to be cut to fit in place.

Next the side vibration brakets and the inner tail 2 formers to install, oh joy :rolleyes:

PaulG-rc
2009-10-23, 10:47 AM
I decided to make my lifting plate out of NOMEX stronger and much lighter.

Now I installe the plates on the wooden base drill the holes from under to screw in the mechanic to the plate and then the plate will be screwed from the top so much easier to remove the mechanic leaving the base in. When I was linning up the mechanic on the plates the fittings on the frame are not even lined up up with the wooden frame holes :mad: this is really getting frustrating now.
I will think on that one now, maybe design a new frame bottom crossbar out of wood and it would even be stronger then the plastic one and I could use better screws too.
Its a good thing I'm alone here because I'm talking to myself :o

Denis Cloutier
2009-10-23, 11:30 AM
Hi Paul

I made my bottom plate to attach the helicopter to the wood frame from aluminum plates the wood blocs are screwed in between the aluminum plate and the helicopter frame, works great.

PaulG-rc
2009-10-23, 11:34 AM
Ok did it :D I made the 4 holes just a bit bigger and was able to line up the mechanic ok.....ouf!
I got good clearance on top too so now thats done. :D

I will also cut out the top part behind the rotorhead so that it doesn't have to be disasembled everytime we need to remove the top cover.
I will make the plate removable.

Yes Denis I remember seing your plates ,its good and strong.

PaulG-rc
2009-10-23, 06:29 PM
Here it goes a bit more now since I went and relax at the movies this afternoon to see Amelia Earhart, very good :D

I made the top cover removable and also a hatch under the belly that will also be removable.
Now no need to take appart the rotorhead to take the top hatch out :D

next step is the tail formers :rolleyes:

PaulG-rc
2009-10-24, 10:45 AM
Started to install the tail formers :mad: did I mention I'm really starting to hate this fuselage.
I cant beleive they only show to apply epoxy on the back former were the tail rotor mechanic is attach. I made 3 small support block that are secured to the former with small pin inside and glued and then glued in place.
When closing the tail lower cover the back screws will also go in the little support block and be more secure.
Now I have to install the other 2 formers, one is far in so I took a long drill bit and drilled in a bit so I can hold the form and glue it in place and then undrill the bit, the last former should go ok..............it better :D

PaulG-rc
2009-10-24, 11:48 AM
Ok got former no.2 installed and that was the hardest one so now thats it for today, I use 12 hrs epoxy for that one.
Tomorow I will apply more 5 min epoxy and then install the last former :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-10-25, 05:03 PM
Looking good bud,,,
alote of work,,, but you seem to figure all okay,,,
cool...

PaulG-rc
2009-10-25, 10:06 PM
This morning ,installed the last tail former.
Install the Tail pitch servo and rod to install the tail rotor.
Also test fit the mechanic on its base and finally did the wirering.
Modified the frame a bit to able a 5000 mah 6S1P LipO up front.

Next step is to install the tail rotor and finally put back the rotorhead and test fly before painting. :D

Denis Cloutier
2009-10-26, 02:53 AM
Nice job Paul. How difficult is it going to be to change the batteries? Lokk's cramp??

PaulG-rc
2009-10-26, 03:22 AM
Much easier then it looks actually :)

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 02:53 PM
Last night did a bit on the tail section and this morning from 8am to 2pm finish the tail and installed the mechanic at the proper place and to my greatest suprise the CG was absolutely perfect with no dead weight :D

Now just came in from a test hover and it went well, tail and cyclic response is very good but something strange is happening when I give elevator cyclic.
If I pull back on the stick it also decreases the pitch and if I push foward it increases the pitch so that makes for a touchy feel.
I did check for a MIX setup on the radio and nothing is program for that.
I dont know this Futaba so I will read the book to see what is causing this. :rolleyes:

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 05:42 PM
Almost no more hair on my head now after 2 hrs of scratching my head trying to figure out whats with the cyclic pitch to pitch problem, I dont get that with cyclic aileron to pitch.

I pull back on cyclic and I get negative pitch so when correcting backwards the heli drops naturaly :confused:
Just dont know anymore what to try :confused:

zorba
2009-10-27, 06:43 PM
Paul check your swash settings. Make sure the Aileron, elevator and pich are correct.

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 07:01 PM
Thanks Bill thats what it is the swash selection was reverse so now I have to creat a new model and try it.

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 07:34 PM
Ok its done after talking with Jim he told me what selection he had and I changed the cwash selection and its all good now. :D

I just have to re-adjust all the settingsin the new model.:rolleyes:

bob forest
2009-10-27, 07:40 PM
OK Paul, now is the time to go to bed. I can't believe the hours you put into it. but really nice work. You sure have patience. You should try and bottle that patience and sell it. Lot of us need extra patience when it comes time to building.

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 07:43 PM
I think thats why I like helis now because the learning curve is new again and I love the chalange even if it gives me headhakes at times :D

zorba
2009-10-27, 07:49 PM
If you have headaches that means something up there is working. LOL

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 07:57 PM
Ok Bill , so tomorow if weather permits I will do more hover test and if all is good I will complete the little things and then get it ready for painting.
I can remove the mechanic but its lots of work at the tail section.
If you prefer no mechanic for painting I will remove it if not well I will remove the rotorhead and tail rotor and leave the mechanic inside.
You decide Bill :D

zorba
2009-10-27, 08:25 PM
Well, I have to wetsand the fuse. I'm afraid that water and residue might get in to the mechanics and belts.
I know that is a pain to remove everything, but it would be a cleaner job.
Since you did the installation it will be easier the second time.

What do you think?
I'm off this weekend and it would be a perfect timming.

OOPs we have invetory this weekend have to work.S*&T
Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 08:27 PM
Ok Bill, mechanics will be out for you, I guess you dont like me :D:D

zorba
2009-10-27, 08:31 PM
Nevermind. Thanks to me you get a hands on experience, that way the next time you'll do it with your eyes closed...LOL

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 08:35 PM
If you put it that way I guess its ok :D
I'm really anxious to see it in the new colors :D
Bill do I need to remove the landing skid too since its a different color, I guess I should.

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 08:41 PM
Bill another question.

Do you prefer the stab fins be already glued on or not ,just thinking about the sanding.

zorba
2009-10-27, 08:48 PM
Put the fins on and remove the skids. Put everything together in a box or a bag.
Don't install any screens on the doghouse yet, I have to paint them first.
Oh and just to mention it the clear is glossy. All SAR helis have glossy finish for visual purposes.

Cheers

zorba
2009-10-27, 09:05 PM
OK guys by special permission from the master builder he's allow me to post the pictures of what the venom will look like. There are two choices.
The owner, the builder and maybe the club members can give me a suggestion of the model to do. I like both of them.

Enjoy...

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 09:08 PM
Well since your asking, on my side I love the first one since it gives a bit of dirty weathering to the tail and that I wanted to do, nice and messy :D
but to dirty the tail it would have to be a flat clear on that section.

PaulG-rc
2009-10-27, 11:35 PM
Bill, since I had to sand the area to glue the stab fins I decided to give a surface sanding with 280 on the fins.

Well all setups are done in the radio after having to reset and select the good swashplate mix and is now ready for a second flight test .
The flying weight less the addons for now is 9 lbs 8 oz with a 6S1P 5000 mah
CG is perfect with no dead weight.
Hoping to test fly in the morning.

Pictures here showing the fuselage brace I modified using servo arms and bushings from E-APC props.
Test fit the instrument panel and seats, you can see were the battery is between the seats and the RX batt is in front of the panel......under the hood :D
So thats it for today after spending 14 hours on it today for a total up to now of 61 hours :spin:

JimmyG
2009-10-28, 07:44 AM
OK guys by special permission from the master builder he's allow me to post the pictures of what the venom will look like. There are two choices.
The owner, the builder and maybe the club members can give me a suggestion of the model to do. I like both of them.

Enjoy...

Wow!! that’s going to look great. :D:D Both paint sachems are nice but I’m leaning towards the second one. The markings I think will be more visible.

JimmyG
2009-10-28, 07:51 AM
Bill, since I had to sand the area to glue the stab fins I decided to give a surface sanding with 280 on the fins.

Well all setups are done in the radio after having to reset and select the good swashplate mix and is now ready for a second flight test .

Pictures here showing the fuselage brace I modified using servo arms and bushings from E-APC props.
Test fit the instrument panel and seats, you can see were the battery is between the seats and the RX batt is in front of the panel......under the hood :D
So thats it for today after spending 14 hours on it today for a total up to now of 61 hours :spin:

Paul you made some really clever mods to get the mechanics to fit. :D
You’re truly a master builder. :worship:

Tarek Hassoune
2009-10-28, 07:51 AM
Bill I like the Augusta 109 it is very nice but when we are flying it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaulG-rc
2009-10-28, 07:57 AM
Very true for the marking on the second scheme, I like them both very much.

JimmyG
2009-10-28, 07:59 AM

Paul you made some really clever mods to get the mechanics to fit.:D
You are truly the master builder. :worship:

PaulG-rc
2009-10-28, 10:25 AM
A little test this morning but way too windy, at least I was able to confirm the pitch problem is solved. :D

video here
YouTube - TT UH-1Y Test hover

Paul

Burning Head
2009-10-28, 11:19 AM
Heavy beast to lift and control:cool: the force is in you Paul, use the force:D

PaulG-rc
2009-10-28, 11:23 AM
Its actually not too bad of weight, I was expecting heavier so its good. :D

zorba
2009-10-28, 04:51 PM
Very nice Paul, It looks good. It was that much wind? I think if you hovered a bit higher it might of leveled out. I think the rotor wash had an effect on it.
Are we painting the blades also?

Nice job.

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-10-28, 10:54 PM
Beleive me it was very windy and gusty here.

Would be nice to paint the main and tail yes.:D

zorba
2009-10-28, 11:27 PM
OK, When you get done testing and everything's ok then give me a call and I'll take it from there.

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-10-28, 11:31 PM
When would it be a good time for you Bill

Tarek Hassoune
2009-10-29, 03:35 AM
When he finishs my Augusta 109

zorba
2009-10-29, 05:27 AM
Hehehehe Tarek is right. The AUgusta first. Take your time Paul. Do all the testing you need. By the end of next week should be a go.
Tarek, the Augusta should be ready by the end of the week or by Monday.
Have invetory this weekend. I'll try to do it at night.
No rest for the pro's.

Cheers

Tarek Hassoune
2009-10-29, 06:15 AM
Thanks Bill

PaulG-rc
2009-10-29, 08:00 AM
Ok Bill sounds good to me too. :D

PaulG-rc
2009-10-30, 04:16 PM
Good day today as I did the first foward flight test on the Huey at the park under perfectly calm conditions.
Very good handling but I feel one of the 3 belts might be too tight so at certain headspeed change the tail would lag a touch.
When it goes back together after the painting I will give the belts a bit more slack. The flight lasted 10 min with power to spare.
Its not even detailled and it looks sharp in flight, I wish I had a cameraman. :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-10-31, 07:06 AM
Superb Paul,
just superb,,,, wow!!!

A cameraman hey???
you have one,,, just need to ask that's all ... lol...

I would have been there to see this Huey doing great buddy.
I have also the Cedars & St-Lazare park to test flight Paul,,, if you wish to come over in a new serunding test area. No one ever goes there in week day time.

Well I'm shure Jimmy is please now with the result test flight.
Great work Paul,,, as always....

JimmyG
2009-10-31, 01:43 PM
Very Nice Paul.
I’m just wondering if the head speed is a little low that might cause it to lag as well. Also kick out when punching it.
A 10 minute flight wow! :shocked: I wasn’t expecting that. From what I’ve read there was a risk of overloading the motor running the 600mm blades. I guess that only applies if you’re doing heavy 3D.
Wonderful job!! :D:D Thanks!!:D:D

PaulG-rc
2009-10-31, 01:48 PM
10 min is perfect if you fly scale flights nothing was hot just barelly warm.
I did play with headspeed and it did the same, I 'm shure its the belt tension and I will check that once it goes back in after paint.

PaulG-rc
2009-11-03, 11:48 AM
Ok Bill the fuselage and blades are ready for you just let me know when.

By taking the mechanic out I was able to do a good inspection of the belts and screws. all good, I did adjust the first belt it was a bit too tight.

LAMAHORSE
2009-11-05, 08:23 AM
The paint job
time,,,, haaaaaaaaa,,, that will be nice.

Bill is the man for the job,,, he,he...
Good luck...

wawapilot
2009-11-05, 09:00 AM
Beautiful job Paul..

zorba
2009-11-16, 05:16 PM
I wont try and highjack your thread Paul but since is the same built I'll continue here.
I got the fuse from Paul a week a go, and started on the painting project.
The only thing I had to do more was the landing skids.
I had to take them apart for painting as if I left them like that the paint would crack where they are joined together.
I preffer to paint everything in pieces then assembled them, that way there's no visible primer in case the pieces move.
I started on it on Saturday, first by sanding the whole fuse and removing all the markings and grey paint that was on ther.
Gave her two coats of flexible automotive primer and let her sit for 24 hours.
On Sunday I sanded all the pieces with 400 and then 600 wet paper to a smooth finish.
I prepared the base coat and shot one coat to a 1:1 ratio with medium reducer.
After 2 hours I mixed the base with 2:1 reducer and gave her a second coat.
The good thing about thebase paint I use is I can re-shoot in 20 minutes but since I will be using fineline tape to mask off the different colors I let her sit for 24 hours.
Today been Monday I masked the areas for the red and black base coats. I shot the black on the nose and the red on the doghouse and red stripe under the belly. After breathing those nusty fumes all day I figured I'll give it a rest and continue another day.
I will upload pics in a few minutes.

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-11-16, 05:20 PM
Your ears must of been huming Bill because I was about to PM you about some news on it :D:D

zorba
2009-11-16, 05:25 PM
You better pm me cause I have some questions for you.

zorba
2009-11-16, 05:29 PM
OK, here are some photos so far. More to come.

zorba
2009-11-16, 05:31 PM
forgot that one LOL

PaulG-rc
2009-11-16, 05:48 PM
Its looking fantastic! Bill :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-11-17, 06:00 AM
Hey,
nice work Bill ...

JimmyG
2009-11-17, 05:19 PM
That is excellent Bill. It’s going to be beautiful … hehehe :D:D:D

zorba
2009-11-17, 05:34 PM
Thank you Serge and Jimmy. Yes it will be. I love yellow and red very visible in the air.
I can't wait to get it done and take some shots. It will be awesome..
I might do some more this week. Too busy and very tired at the end of the day.
Will see.

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-11-17, 10:30 PM
Is it finish yet :D

PaulG-rc
2009-11-17, 10:31 PM
how about now, is it finish :D:D

zorba
2009-11-22, 07:13 PM
Nope you have to wait a bit longer bro..
Hi all, Like I said in my previous post, I woked all day on the Griffon.
I did some touch ups and applied all the decals.
Is time comsuming that's for sure.
I got home for something to eat and gige it a chance for the decals to stbilize under the heat lamp.
Went back and applied the first coat of clear. It looks good but with the second coat it will get more shinny.

I also finished Lui's Airwolf. Aplied the decals and gave it the final coat of clear. She is ready to go.
As for the Griffon is gonna be a while longer cause I have to finish the skids and the main and tail blades..
Sorry Paul you have to wait a bit longer.
Here are some photos from today.
Enjoy

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-11-22, 10:10 PM
:eek::eek: I'm speechless Bill, that looks fantastic!

Ok I can wait a bit longer :D

PaulG-rc
2009-11-22, 10:11 PM
Ok I waitted long enough :D:D

zorba
2009-11-22, 10:20 PM
Whole 60 seconds? that's too long :D
Looks better up close.
Do you have the two clips that hold the landing skids on? and what color are they?

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-11-22, 10:24 PM
Yes I have them, they are white.

I was thinking, I should of done the panel lines before you did the clear coat.
I will see what I can do .
It really look so good Bill

zorba
2009-11-23, 05:40 AM
Well, we have two choices. 1) Since is only the first coat I can do the panel lines and then put on the second coat, or 2) I can give it to you do the panel lines and bring it back to me. What do you think? Is not too late.

Cheers

JimmyG
2009-11-23, 07:30 AM
You did an excellent job on both Bill. :D:D

zorba
2009-11-23, 05:46 PM
Thanks Jim. She is awesome. I am very pleased with her.
One more week and then I pass her on to Paul. It looks like the weather will stay like this for a while longer, so you might even put in the maiden flight..
Cheers

zorba
2009-11-29, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone, As promised the Griffon is done.
I ran into a snag after the first clear coat was put on.
By a request from the builder and the owner I had to add the panel lines.

It wasen't easy as the clear coat was already on it was very hard to do the panel lines.
So, this is the way was done.
I had to sand all the panel lines with 320 paper. I mean I had to sand the grooves so I can roughen up the clear in order to accept the pencil lines.

I had to be carefull not to sand to deep and remove the paint. It worked. It took some time and alot of patience.
Here's a photo of the doghouse.
more photos to follow.

zorba
2009-11-29, 05:51 PM
here are some more shots.

Cheers
PS Paul give me a call....

PaulG-rc
2009-11-29, 06:26 PM
:eek: Wow! Bill , I cant beleive you actually went back and did the panel lines. It looks totally fantastic ! I fell off my chair :D
Now if I can just get the accessory bag I will be able to add more to it.
At least I have the lights to install, the windows and the anti skid on top of the dog house and the cockpit to do, I even got a high res picture of the instrument panel from a guy on the Scale forum.
I have to paint the inside of the fuselage and the wood framing too.
Still a fair amount of work to do on it. :D

Dont know now, Jim, I think I will adopt it :D

zorba
2009-11-29, 06:34 PM
I don't thinck he will like it, So you can keep it.:):p
Isn't it pocession 9/10ths of the law?

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-11-29, 06:36 PM
Hehehe :D maybe we can share it :D

JimmyG
2009-11-30, 07:47 AM
WOW that’s fantastic. Bill if I would have known that you had to go back to do the panel lines I would have probably suggested to just use the tape.
I’m glad you took the extra time on it. It looks excellent.
I can’t wait to see it up close. :D:D

JimmyG
2009-11-30, 07:48 AM
Hehehe :D maybe we can share it :D

Sorry guys .. I think this is a keeper :p

PaulG-rc
2009-11-30, 07:50 AM
Jim any news on the cosmetic bag for it?

JimmyG
2009-11-30, 08:02 AM
Paul.. I’ll check today and see if I can get a ship date.
TT parts are sometimes hard to get.

PaulG-rc
2009-11-30, 08:12 AM
Yes thats what I read in forums too, TT part hard to get.

LAMAHORSE
2009-12-11, 07:13 AM
Here is,
some photographies for your scale add-on's making replica idea Paul.

Enjoy!

Full size print here:
http://www.warbirddepot.com/photo_military.asp

http://www.warbirddepot.com/images/gallery/Military/YYZmw_0011-150.jpg

http://www.warbirddepot.com/images/gallery/Military/YYZmw_0152-150.jpg

http://www.warbirddepot.com/images/gallery/Military/YYZmw_0155-150.jpg

http://www.warbirddepot.com/images/gallery/Military/YYZmw_0156-150.jpg

PaulG-rc
2009-12-17, 09:53 AM
Ok so a sneak peek to show that its still happening :D
Windows are done and the interior and frame is painted.
next step will be the lights :)

But now I'm busy flying indoors :D

Jim any news on the cosmetic bags for it?

JimmyG
2009-12-17, 11:27 AM
Paul I’m glad you were able to pull your self away from the MSR long enough to paint the interior.:D:D:D
I still don’t know when I’ll receive the decoration set. I know that Peters working on it.
By the way I also picked up the Blade MSR. It’s lots of fun and fly’s very well.

PaulG-rc
2009-12-17, 11:31 AM
Sorry for the late reply Jim, I was flying the MSR :D:D

Dont you love that little bird, its amazing.
The 150 mah batteries are even better so I got 2 of those also. :)

PaulG-rc
2009-12-19, 09:34 AM
Sneak peak, to see if all lines up :D ..............not, just wanted to look at it .
Still much to do still but thats what it is up to now. :D
Next got to work on the lights. :)

zorba
2009-12-19, 05:58 PM
Paul looks awesome. I like the red dashes around the door. I was going to do them but I forgot. (crap)

Nice going/
Cheers

PaulG-rc
2009-12-19, 10:28 PM
No problem Bill
I got more red markings to do on the back side windows too and some scratches and weathering and ............ man it looks good :D

LAMAHORSE
2009-12-20, 06:08 AM
The result is
very awesome Paul ...

Does Jimmy
Will want to be later convert with 4 blades main rotorhead ... ?
It should give a outstanding look and sound with four bladers ...
Something Jimmy will have to consider later I guess ...

But still ,,, it would be very nice with 2 headrotor blades ...

JimmyG
2009-12-20, 06:51 PM
The result is
very awesome Paul ...

Does Jimmy
Will want to be later convert with 4 blades main rotorhead ... ?
It should give a outstanding look and sound with four bladers ...
Something Jimmy will have to consider later I guess ...

But still ,,, it would be very nice with 2 headrotor blades ...

Hi LAMAHORSE
I did think of a scale head but from what I’ve seen given the shorter blade length needed it changes the perspective of the heli, hence giving it a less scale like appearance.
I could be wrong! .. Custom blades maybe ??

She looks absolutely excellent and I haven’t even seen it in person. Paul, Billy.. you guys have done a wonderful job. :D:D:D

LAMAHORSE
2009-12-21, 08:21 AM
Hey hi Jimmy,

Yeah the scale headrotor 4 bladers would be kind of a smaller dimension.
As more blades added will require that. My LAMA as the scale headrotor
with 3 blades like the fully scale LAMA, and are from the kit. Paul as done a major stripes red and white look for me and as also done a other set of 3 headrotor blades too, and are bigger size blades then the original 3 blades from the kit.

Paul as test the new bigger blades last fall and it looks just awesome with out distroying my LAMA scale look. The performance of the new bigger blades are some kind bringning the LAMA into a real lift off puller by is saying. I have'nt try them on yet,,, as I will exercise alote befort getting them on.

Next summer I guess I'll be ready for them to be switch on to the LAMA.
As I have a very high torque motor, it will be fun to use them and make my scale flying debut with those on hand later next year...

But again,
some dont like to fly more then 2 blades helicopters and that is fine too ...
Still your Huey will have alote of fans I'm shure heh,heh...

Here is photo of the bigger blades on the LAMA:
Paul as done a wonderfull blades stripes color replica for me
and as balance them perfectly ... What a Master boy that Paul ...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BhvWdPzxymA/Sy91sEq65vI/AAAAAAAAH1I/2MdKBRnpL0s/MRCC-Sept-17-09-3.JPG

PaulG-rc
2009-12-29, 02:08 PM
Lights lights more lights :)
I started on the lighting system ,making the holes and cutting wires not to have too much wires all over.
So there will be the nav lights, a strobe on top and one under ,a white light at the back end and a landing light under the belly.
I sanded the lens of the leds a bit to a frosty look like I was shown by Peter ( Nitrouspette )and it makes them much more visible from the sides :D

bob forest
2009-12-29, 02:22 PM
Paul, are these the lights you got from the guy here in Mtl.
Bob

PaulG-rc
2009-12-29, 02:25 PM
No not yet, those are the same as I have in my Big Sqirrel.
I should get the new system from Laval next week.

PaulG-rc
2009-12-31, 09:59 AM
Ok light system is installed and working very well :) I had to install a mini Dean connector at the tail end piece since it has to be removable, I also dicided to install a white NAV led at the tail end top since I had no 3mm white led to be able to install at the exact location . Still looks good and will be more visible anyway. :)
Just have to touchup on the wires a bit and then its time to install the mechanic and finally the detail addons :)

PaulG-rc
2010-01-01, 08:54 AM
Well here was my new Year eves after work decided to install the mechanic inside the Huey , good thing I dont drink :D the tail mechanics with double belts is a real headhake :o
Anyway the worst is done now I just have to adjust some stuff and then add the details. :D

zorba
2010-01-01, 09:37 AM
Let me be the first to say is AWESOME Pauly. Amazing what a difference it makes when is all put together.
This is looks more like a static display than flying.
Good job Paul I must congratulate you. Now you can have a drink.

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2010-01-01, 10:00 AM
Thanks Bill but you know its team work so thank you too for this fantastic paint job and main decals. Now I will just add more to it and soon I do hope to at least take some nice pictures in the snow in a real nice area and maybe at least a hover. :D

Now I might go out to have a flight outside with my MSR and maybe the Rex 500 on floats for the first flight of the year :D

zorba
2010-01-01, 10:36 AM
have fun. I'll be thinking of you while I'm at home cooking.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-01, 10:40 AM
Is that what I was smelling outside the good food cooking, keep me some :D

beto9
2010-01-01, 03:07 PM
I can see that even the most JR fanatics use Futaba gyros....

zorba
2010-01-01, 07:47 PM
Olla Albert, for this application you don't need anything fancy like JR gyro's The 401 will do the job just fine.

I don't think he'll be doing any tick-tocks with it.

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2010-01-01, 11:49 PM
Actually the Huey is fully Futaba, so I have to learn even the radio setup :D

LAMAHORSE
2010-01-05, 07:25 AM
Yeah,
you just teasing now,
you love the learning side of things with helicopters Buddy,,, heh,heh...

Remember my LAMA ??? lol ...

PaulG-rc
2010-01-06, 10:23 AM
A little bit more done on the SAR Huey, Top cable cutter, pitot tubes, door handles, rear hook but needs more painting on it and also the little vents under the nose and also the little hooks under the belly for the blade hold tiedowns.
Still have to do the lower cable cutter and also work on some skis, the wipers ,antennas....etc :)

JimmyG
2010-01-07, 07:15 AM
It’s looking good Paul.:D:D:D I can’t wait to see it.
I can try and make a spot light for it but need the dimensions.
Did you finally receive the decoration?

PaulG-rc
2010-01-07, 07:31 AM
Thanks Jim

here are more shots since I did more now.
The wipers are on, the lower wirer cutter, the pitots are painted and the tail hook is painted.
I found the decoration set, the bag had fallen behind the air conditioner that I have on the floor with my Sqirrel on it, As I was moving it I heard something slide and it was the bag :rolleyes:
So will have extras when they come in. :D
I had to readjust the mechanic ,I lifted the rear a touch because the belt was touching just a bit the tail rotor servo arm, not much but it was bugging me. Because of that I also had to reposition the body side brackets.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-07, 07:36 AM
I can try and make a spot light for it but need the dimensions.

If you want a spot light I will make one Jim no problem.
I still have to work on the skis if I want to take hundreds of pictures this winter in the snow :D

LAMAHORSE
2010-01-07, 07:58 AM
Impressive Paul,
as always. You shure are gone miss that one when it will be back to Jimmy
on hands ...

If only a compagny had that model in 700 or 800 size I would be in heaven.
Man, I can't wait to see it now,,, wow, just cant wait ...

I dont like to be that way but,
I guess I'll need to be a big sucker to Cliff and keep asking him to make one for that size with his friend from China. Man I will try to convience him on my next call to him. He as the Huey UH-1 that is coming for the 700 or the 800 soon. I want a 412 please Cliff ,,, please, pleassssssssssssssssse ... lol...

Today the wind here is so bad.
I think tomorow will be the same again,,, I guess we wont fly...
Oh well,,, I will keep looking for the next project on the net I guess...
Winter will be very long with out any project I wish to do on hand.

And no flying ,,, that suck's !! :(

PaulG-rc
2010-01-07, 12:07 PM
Ok Jim, this morning spent a few hours building a searchlight and it will light up along with the landing light.
With little things found around here I came up with a not too bad looking searchlight :D
A bit of paint on the arm and I will do the wirering and install it. :D

LAMAHORSE
2010-01-07, 05:17 PM
Nice creation Paul,
I will try to make one ...
I Will have to see what is around ...

JimmyG
2010-01-08, 07:44 AM
Thats very cool. :D
It’s amazing what you can do with stuff laying around the house.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-08, 07:53 AM
Yes its cool! I still need some black heat shrink to get , here is a shot trial fitting it, I have to measure to install the little arms too.

Denis Cloutier
2010-01-08, 12:39 PM
I wish I had your imagination to reproduce scale accessories. Very cool look

Kevin Rochon
2010-01-08, 01:53 PM
¸la deuxieme photo a l'air tellement reel:D

Bonne Job

Kevin

PaulG-rc
2010-01-08, 06:05 PM
Thanks Denis , I just love doing this :D

Kevin ,it was lots of work to make it look fake on the second picture, so I left it as is :D:D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-09, 09:31 AM
This morning started on the skis because I need to get more stuff for the search light to finish it. :)

bob forest
2010-01-09, 09:44 AM
I hope Paul, that the Pop is diet. With amount of bottles you need, you are going to get sugurde out.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-09, 09:47 AM
Diet all the way Bob :D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-09, 12:37 PM
Ok here they are finish and secure.
I use a black plastic that you find in binders separation and cut the skis from that.
I clean them well with alcohol and stick on a rubber thin tape spit in two to create a channel.
Drill holes in the skis where I want them and drill in the skids.
I also use a chrome stick on tape that I sanded to give it a dull finish and cut some strips to creat the hold brackets for the skis to the skids.
I then applied a small layer of clear silicone adhesive under the skis and the holes to secure them from vibration.
Thats it done for the skis. :D

LAMAHORSE
2010-01-11, 08:25 AM
Very nice,
craftman ship buddy.

So cool to use our imagination and what's around to re-produce some scale detail's. Love that too ... But your faster then me,, heh,heh...

She will be a heart breaker that's for shure...
Jimmy you'll be in heaven now,,, angel boy!! :D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-12, 06:45 AM
Could not resist to slide in the main rotor and have a look :D

Yesterday I got the material to finish the searchlight so I will work on that this week. :)

PaulG-rc
2010-01-12, 02:20 PM
The week was short, searchlight is done and secured in place and it lightsup real good :D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-12, 04:14 PM
Started the work on the winch.
I decided to carve it out of pink foam since its light and hard enough.
I already convered it with my foam prep recepie of white glue baby powder and water.
Then I sand more and add more prep to it until nice and smooth.
Then the paint, the decals and add the arm and hook later.
Should look good :D

zorba
2010-01-12, 04:54 PM
You never seem to amaze me. Excellent work Paul. how much does it weigh now?

PaulG-rc
2010-01-12, 04:59 PM
Dont worry about the weight Bill, not a problem :D

Bill are you coming to the indoor because I would need 3 letters SAR in yellow to stick on the black winch 1/2 in high in bold thickness. It can be white too if you dont have yellow

zorba
2010-01-12, 05:32 PM
I'll see what I can do my friend..
cheers

PaulG-rc
2010-01-12, 11:07 PM
Thanks Bill the decals are perfect :D

zorba
2010-01-12, 11:17 PM
time to go to bed now boys. you welcome Paul need anything else let me know.

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2010-01-12, 11:19 PM
Ok Bill thank you again.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-13, 08:21 AM
Ok so its going well on the winch, almost ready for the paint :)

PaulG-rc
2010-01-13, 09:46 PM
Moving along well on the winch :D
its only a static winch not functional :D

zorba
2010-01-13, 09:49 PM
you are amazing Paul just amazing. looking good. what's next?

Sorry guys I had to ask...lol

PaulG-rc
2010-01-13, 09:55 PM
I guess you like my winch Bill ?
I like it too as its turning out 100% better then I was expecting :D

Next the decals go on and then the clear and then installation.

I have little handdles to climb on top to make and a couple gadgets under the belly too also to creat :D
I have to get the ink for my printer and get working in the cockpit too :D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-14, 08:18 AM
Winch completed and secured :D

JimmyG
2010-01-14, 08:45 AM
All I can say is WOW!! Excellent job Paul :D:D:D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-14, 08:47 AM
Thanks Jim, now I need to find some pictures of the cockpit interior :D

zorba
2010-01-14, 05:06 PM
Paul man,,how many times I have to praise you..fantastic what else I can say I need to find some more words to describe it.

cheers and good job again.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-14, 06:42 PM
Bill its ok I can take it all dont worry :D:D:D

Elgreco
2010-01-14, 07:19 PM
Paul I don't know if you do but you should really post all the work you do at acalerchelis too.
I am sure a lot more people would appreciate your work there too.

Man you put a lot of hours and details on these projects.

Truly great work.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-14, 07:23 PM
Thanks Mario
Yes I've been posting there since my Ecureuil, I'm already well known :D
The projects on that site are insane :D

Mario we missed you at the indoor.

zorba
2010-01-14, 07:24 PM
hehehehehe he means Scalerchelis.com Paul...

PaulG-rc
2010-01-14, 07:28 PM
Just a typo but I knew what site he meant :D

Elgreco
2010-01-14, 07:51 PM
Yea, I'd love to be there but honestly with 3 young kids, it's a bit too early for me. By the time the older one studies and generally all get ready for bed, if I were to leave my wife alone with 3 kids so I can "play", I would be sleeping in my cabanon soon :p:p

PaulG-rc
2010-01-14, 07:56 PM
Come play with us and I will supply the portable heater if you need it after :D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-15, 07:32 PM
A bit of work in the cockpit :D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-15, 09:45 PM
Added the cyclic sticks, nothing fancy as you cant see them much through the windows.
Added the little handles to climb on top of the cabin.
Added the temp probe too.

Denis Cloutier
2010-01-15, 09:49 PM
Look's great! hope to see the finish product soon

PaulG-rc
2010-01-15, 09:52 PM
Dont know, it never ends :D:D
I keep stairing at the full size one and always find little things I can do :D
Now I need to find a material that would look like wool for the seat covers.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-16, 11:26 AM
I had to take it outside before work to snap some shots :D

Background here at home is not good for scale shots but its a start :D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-17, 04:55 PM
Found what I needed for seat covers.
I used a mini sponge shamois and double sided tape :D
Made seatbelts with trim tape.:D

JimmyG
2010-01-17, 05:13 PM
:DVery Very Nice .. Paul
If I were to go with a scale head what head and what electronics would be appropriate for this beauty? :D:D:D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-17, 05:18 PM
Here and the scale blades too
http://www.scaleflying.com/product_p/lhtb-22.htm

PaulG-rc
2010-01-17, 05:22 PM
Looks like they dont have the scale blades for scale yet in the 600 size, but they are coming out with better scale head so they probably will come out with scale blades too.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-17, 05:26 PM
With the seats and new decals today brought the total to 18 days of work on it totalling 100 Hours .
I cant beleive this :eek:

zorba
2010-01-17, 05:30 PM
Time flies when you are having funnnnnnnnn

PaulG-rc
2010-01-17, 05:32 PM
I know, having fun but getting depress to know that it will leave eventually :sad:

zorba
2010-01-17, 06:40 PM
Nah don't look at it that way. Think of it as the bird left the nest and another bird is on its way... right?

PaulG-rc
2010-01-17, 06:44 PM
Ok Bill I feel better now :D

looking to find a flex shaft for my 500esp ,cant beleive this torque tube issue is preventing me from getting the EC-145

zorba
2010-01-17, 07:30 PM
would a cable from an old speedometer work?

PaulG-rc
2010-01-17, 07:32 PM
:D I would have to see a proper shaft installation .

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 02:17 PM
The weather is real crappy here today , freezing rain and just a breeze, temp is not that cold but its very damp so it feels cold.
I took the Huey outside just for a spin test and see how the gyro would do since I had to use the Gyro gain channel for the lights until Jim gets a new receiver.
Anyway I could not get heading lock on and it was a bit touchy.
After about 5 min of on off hover I started to get some vibrations ,I suspected ice build up and thats what it was, on the main blades and tail rotor blades , that was cool, first time I experience that.
I will use the Gyro gain channel again for the next test another day and leave the lights off till then.
I also dont like the Transmeter , I cant adjust the curves very well . :rolleyes:

Here a couple shots from the test.
It had flown before in its original colors but now first time in SAR colors.:D

beto9
2010-01-18, 02:51 PM
Ice build up!!!! Ice build up!!!!

Don't you go through the proper procedures??? What about deicing first!

You, Paul, of all the pilots!

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 02:57 PM
But it wasn't freezing rain at first :hmm: but I didn't go anywere Albert so I was safe :D

beto9
2010-01-18, 03:29 PM
I think your license will have to be reviewed by Transport Canada.... in the meantime, you can only fly with a co-pilot....

Actually, very interesting the ice build up on the rotors.... now people have something else to blame for crashes.... and I mean both the light and dark side... and somebody is going to start marketing ice detectors for models... just wait. And why not a deicing spray....?

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 03:33 PM
I should of took a picture of that it was cool! but not shure if it would have been visible on the picture.
It was a good thickness too.

JimmyG
2010-01-18, 04:23 PM
Hi Paul
The last channel on the receiver is for both battery and channel 7. Could you not use a Y connector having 1 end go to the on off switch and the other going to the light module. That should work?

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 04:27 PM
I will have to look at it but for the lights to work properly you need to switch on and off at first and if its on the master batt switch I dont see how it could work independently.

JimmyG
2010-01-18, 04:34 PM
You should be able to assign an unused switch on the radio. I think the light module will act accordingly based on what position you put the switch in on the radio.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 04:42 PM
Ok Jim I will check it out, would be cool if it works.
Just wandering if its a choice , use it as a 7channel without the BEC or 6 channel with the BEC.
I would imagine if I assign a switch to channel 7 that would turn off the BEC maybe, dont know.

JimmyG
2010-01-18, 04:55 PM
Hi Paul,
I don’t think the BEC actually sends data to the receiver? But I’m not sure.
My assumption is that there is only power going into that channel from the battery.
With the splitter you add the lights module. The light module will have a wire dedicated for data as well as power. This should allow you to assign a switch to that channel and control the module on and off.
I Think

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 05:00 PM
I will try,now I'm trying to find a way to assign a switch to AUX1 channel 7

FUTABA :rolleyes:

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 05:07 PM
I decided to take the TT Huey in its new SAR colors outside for a test spin and hover. The weather was not very good . freezing drizzle so I got an ice buildup on the blades main and rotor giving me vibration after the fifth minute. I also had no gain control on the gyro by the radio because using the cannel for the lights. I will fix that eventually. Also had no sound after converting the video so I added a heli sound for fun. :D

YouTube- Griffon-test-1.WMV

Mick
2010-01-18, 05:17 PM
Now you need an on-board sound module, that would be really cool.

JimmyG
2010-01-18, 05:18 PM
Paul,
I guess your going to have it for the rest of the winter. Now I’m expecting it to sound like the video when I receive it. ;)

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 05:19 PM
The modules are out but not many sounds available yet. :)

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 05:19 PM
Paul,
I guess your going to have it for the rest of the winter. Now I’m expecting it to sound like the video when I receive it. ;)
Ok Jim I will work on that :D:D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 05:37 PM
Ok Jim I took a "Y" connector from a plane and it works good :D
Now you need a to get a "Y" :)

Denis Cloutier
2010-01-18, 08:13 PM
Yerk! sound like a old R22 dying

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 08:15 PM
:D:D its actually a real bell-412 sound beleive or not:D

Denis Cloutier
2010-01-18, 08:30 PM
That heli need maintenance or the sound equipement recording it is from the flintstones:eek:

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 08:33 PM
Thats probably what it is.
I'm trying to make the sound better with a free software sound editor.

JimmyG
2010-01-18, 08:34 PM
That heli need maintenance or the sound equipement recording it is from the flintstones:eek:

HaHaHa… Your right I just listened to it again and it does sound like Barney and Fred franticly pedaling to keep there copter in the air.

Denis Cloutier
2010-01-18, 08:37 PM
Just joking :D but it is the worse heli sound I ever seen:o

PaulG-rc
2010-01-18, 08:38 PM
:spin: now I'm on the floor laughing :D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-20, 12:34 PM
I just came in from doing another test hover here to check the Gyro. Much better but I was getting too much turbulance to fine tune.
I will have to wait for a calm day I guess.
Flying weight is at 10 lbs 2 oz
I really dont like the radio for it but then maybe Jim will be ok with it once tuned better. :)

Sorry blur pictures taken from video screengrab and no sun. :)

JimmyG
2010-01-20, 12:53 PM
Looking good Paul. :D:D
What troubles are you having with the radio? Is it because it’s only able to do 5 point curves?

PaulG-rc
2010-01-20, 10:37 PM
Yes thats it Jim, its very hard to fine tune RPM to Pitch I also use the pitch knob to help but its not the same.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-22, 12:10 PM
Just took a couple pictures in the sun :)

beto9
2010-01-22, 02:37 PM
Is it complete? Good looking bird... Do not worry about retirement Paul, even if models are mostly ARF, you can make a living finishing them...

We should put this thread in the "Building Hall of Fame"....

PaulG-rc
2010-01-22, 10:30 PM
Thanks Albert, compliments are always the best rewards.:)
There is always little things to do :D

Yes that would be a nice retirement hobby :)

PaulG-rc
2010-01-28, 09:13 AM
I just added another little item, the Wire cutter guide. :)

Kevin Rochon
2010-01-28, 01:39 PM
Hey Paul are you going to test this wire cutter ;)

Kevin

PaulG-rc
2010-01-28, 10:39 PM
Shure I will :D:D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-30, 11:40 AM
Ouf! I got scared, Jim just came by to see his Huey Griffon and loved it but I thought he would of kidnap it from me :D

He looked real please with the result. :D

JimmyG
2010-01-30, 02:20 PM
Well I’ve seen the heli and all I can say is that it’s amazing. The pictures just don’t do it justice.

You need to see this up close. :bouncy:

Paul, Bill this is excellent workmanship and is truly a show piece.
Now I want it back so that I can look at it some more, although I’d be too scared to fly it.

Ok Paul you can have it till your 1000th photo shoot or May 2010 which ever comes first. :D :D

Thanks again guy’s for the effort you put in to her.

PaulG-rc
2010-01-30, 02:26 PM
It has been a pleasure and it will be a pleasure to see it in your hands too this coming summer. :D

PaulG-rc
2010-01-30, 02:28 PM
Oh and will have to get a nice picture taken the 3 of us since its team work. :D
Bill you have to get a suit , ok then a Bell T-Shirt will do :D

PaulG-rc
2010-02-28, 04:00 PM
Took out the Griffon for a spin here at home to play with the curves again and it sucks :( I will play more with it until I'm satisfied.
Probably in foward flight it wont matter much but the hover needs it and the transition from FF to Hover will need it too most likely.

One thing for shure , it looks amazing in the air :D

LAMAHORSE
2010-03-01, 05:38 AM
Glade to read,
that you got it out for a spin off Paul ...
I thought Jimmy had it back on hand ...

PaulG-rc
2010-03-05, 05:19 PM
Took out the Griffon this afternoon for 2 hover flight, tune tune tune tune and finally got a real good hover out of that radio :D

I hope to do a bit more to get it just perfect. :D

PaulG-rc
2010-03-05, 05:26 PM
By the way Jimmy your TX does not keep the charge well.
I had it on charge overnight and after being on for maybe 1 hour total because of programing the voltage was down to 9.6v

Mick
2010-03-06, 09:47 AM
Swap the battery to Lipo, you will never regret it. Never have to worry about the transmitter not being charged, just pick up and fly. When you get back from the field just top it up and store.

PaulG-rc
2010-03-06, 03:46 PM
Thats what I had done with my 9303 and it was fantastic.
So Jim thats an option to look at.

JimmyG
2010-03-07, 10:21 AM
That’s a good idea. What size lipo do you normally use for a radio?

Mick
2010-03-07, 10:26 AM
Hobby King sell 2 different ones for transmitters. I have the 3S 1450mAh flat pack for my Futaba 6EX. The other is a 2400mAh for square packs.

zorba
2010-03-07, 01:25 PM
here you go Jimmy. From Hobbyking/city

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6955&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_2500mAh_Transmitter_P ack_(Futaba/JR)

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7346&Product_Name=Rhino_2620mAh_3S_11.1v_Transmitter_Li poly_Pack

zorba
2010-03-07, 01:31 PM
here you go Jimmy from Hobbyking/city

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7346&Product_Name=Rhino_2620mAh_3S_11.1v_Transmitter_Li poly_Pack

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6955&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_2500mAh_Transmitter_P ack_(Futaba/JR)

Depends which one you like.

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2010-03-07, 01:52 PM
In my JR 9303 I was using an old TP 2100 3s1p 15c because it wasn't good anymore for the plane or heli but good for the TX. :)

Mick
2010-03-07, 04:54 PM
Here is the link for the one I have used. I bought two as they were so cheap. I charged the first one back in early February and have not charged it since, it still reads 11.3v after three indoor sessions and two cold outdoor sessions. Excellent performance. I keep the second in my flight bag as a back-up.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9787&Product_Name=Turnigy_1450mAh_3S_11.1v_Transmitter_ Lipoly_Pack

PaulG-rc
2010-03-20, 04:15 PM
Sad day for me today as the Griffon has flown away to Jimmy's hangar .

The good news is that I will still see it fly at the club :D

So long old friend

zorba
2010-03-20, 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear that Paul.
But you had it long enough and you got attached to it.:sorrysign:
I'm sure you will get another project going soon enough

Cheers

LAMAHORSE
2010-03-21, 05:30 AM
Sad day for me today as the Griffon has flown away to Jimmy's hangar .

The good news is that I will still see it fly at the club :D

So long old friend

Sad,sad,sad... :sad:

As the sme as a fully scale "Helo" pilot Buddy,
you'll be assign to a other flying unit soon I'm shure ...

Yeah, I will miss photoshooting the unit airborn now ...
They'e will be others ...

Denis Cloutier
2010-03-21, 10:30 AM
Once again you get the "MASTER BUILDER" :D stamp of approval from me. WHOWWWW what a machine, cant wait tom see it in the air :D

:party::party:

PaulG-rc
2010-03-21, 01:36 PM
Thanks Guys

and yes I do have another project for a WIMAC member too its a 450 size Huey 1B :D but I dont usually build in the flying season unless its real bad weather and I have nothing to do. :D