PDA

View Full Version : New Project and Update

bob forest
2009-12-05, 05:17 PM
I just aquired a 88" Pica kit of a Spitfire. This kit is no longer available, was lucky to get it. It also has a cockpit kit with it. It will be a long project as Pica kits are known for a lot of work to build.
My Cap 232 is coming along. I have buit a whole new front end. All midwest ply. I just fitted the engine today, and the cowl. I now have to ad 1/2" spacers behing the engine so that it has a nice fit for the spinner. I also had to re fiberglass many cracks on the cowl and now will sand and repaint. All this work on account of the chineese ply giving away and the engine pulling away from the firewall. I was lucky, the prop did not even break. It happened on take off just before she left the ground.
here are the pics.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/bforest6/NewProjectUpdateOnTheCap?authkey=Gv1sRgCM7nweCE-7qODw#

Kevin Rochon
2009-12-07, 01:57 PM
Good luck with your project Bob, hope it wont take as long as my Harvard to complete.

Kevin

Andrew Fernie
2009-12-07, 06:37 PM
I built the 1/6 Pica Spitfire. It was a classic "box of balsa" kit. Lots of cutting, shaping, sanding, gluing etc. The hobby has changed with the arrival of all the ARFs. I am starting to miss those days...

What are you going to power it with?

Have fun Bob.

bob forest
2009-12-07, 07:48 PM
I am putting my FPE 40cc gasser. They did the RC modeler build and fly test with a Super Tiger 3000. That was in 1990, I am sure my 40cc is lighter than that Super Tiger. Some flew them with a Zenoa 35cc and I know for a fact that the FPE is lighter. Should be fun. I am just debating on should I or should I not put retracts. That is the question. Should it be air or electric or mechanical.Lots of time to think about it. I just finished installing the landing gear on my CAP tonight. So that is also coming along.

LAMAHORSE
2009-12-08, 07:07 AM
Wow,
a WWII Spitfire ...

Can't wait to see it at MRCC Buddy!
The speed and sound will be amazing on low pass by ...

On other topic,
I at time fly on War Over Pacific SIM with the Spitfire over the Japan Zero's.
I shure enjoy the Dog fighting with it ,,, and always been credits as ACE as scores goes.

Just love the Dog fight with that one !
Best of luck on the making Buddy!!!

Kevin Rochon
2009-12-08, 01:50 PM
There is not question about it a Spitfire has to have retracts, won`t look the same in the air with fixed gear:eek:

Kevin
Air work good and light.

loflyer2001
2009-12-11, 06:55 PM
Hello Bob;
Peter Novosad built the Top Flight Classic 1/5 scale and flew it
at Ile Perrot with the mechanical heavy duty retracts.....He did not
like them. I was also at the time almost finnish with mine (similar
setup) and shelf the project for a year as I was tired of working at it.
Since I have ordered a complete nr. 605 pneumatic retract system for
it. Have removed the mechanical setup and installed the new pneumatic
system in the 1/5 scale model. It is now 90% complete and like they
say in the real world of aviation 90% completed and 90% to go. LOL
It is back on the back burner. CUZ as u know, I bought the Bud Barkley
1/4 scale DH2C Tiger Moth from George C. I have been at it for 5 days
and have half of the fuselage built. It has a 88 inches wingspan
powered by a Quadra 35cc (the old one taken from the Yungmeister)
I am going at it full bore to have it finnish for this summer. It
will have complete cockpit details, student and instructor pilot which
I will make and a sliding winter canopy as seen in the Ottawa Museum.
Gonna be busy Bob.
Cheers and good luck with ur Pica....Guy

bob forest
2009-12-21, 10:00 AM
well the CAP 232 mid wing is repaired and ready for an engine run in the back yard. That is why I do not have the cowling on. Now my next project is on the bench. first thing I did was fit the engine, and put in the blind nuts in and epoxied the back of the firewall, that is done. took the engine off and now will continue with the project of the GEE BEE Y, 82"

LAMAHORSE
2009-12-21, 02:31 PM
Coming nicely Bob,
Keep it up Buddy!

bob forest
2009-12-30, 12:40 AM
Well, have been working on the Gee Bee Y 82" wingspan. So far very nice ARF, very well put together and easy and well thought out. I have the engine in. A CRRC 26cc. Now fitting the cowl. So far so good. close call with the muffler, but it will all work out. The wings are finished.
here are a few pics.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/bforest6/GeeBeeY82WingSpan?authkey=Gv1sRgCMfX5tnlyO_GIw#

drgilo1973
2009-12-30, 08:58 AM
good luk with ur plane i always wanted to build it bob its a nice looking one

PaulG-rc
2009-12-30, 09:58 AM
Memories, this one here is from a former WIMAC member Jean Q who started flying it at WIMAC and had to use a Gyro for the Take-off until he got use to it.
Then he shorten the gear struts and install skis for winter.
What a hot plane that was :D

Kevin Rochon
2009-12-30, 01:41 PM
Yes I remember that plane flying at Iles-Bizard with Ray.

Did you see Jean lately does he still have that ice-cream place?

kevin

bob forest
2009-12-30, 03:45 PM
Yes, he still has it, I drop in about 2 or 3 times for a sunday for which I should not have. Hot fudge. He does not have the plane anymore he had crashed it. Now he is into Jets. fly's only in Florida.

bob forest
2009-12-31, 07:17 PM
Well, here we are as of today. have to glue down the tail section, still have the radio install to do. tank is installed.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/bforest6/20091231?authkey=Gv1sRgCMzg0ZP0-PPJpwE#

bob forest
2010-01-11, 07:20 PM
Well, it is almost there. just a few things to go. just weighed her and she came out at 13 lbs 5 oz, very happy, I have not balanced her, but even if I would have to add a pound it would still be good, as some were finished up to 17lbs and flew very well.
it is a big wing. 82" of wing span. I change the pilot, as I realized it was not to scale, too small, found this one in my shop and put him in. The plane is pretty impressive to look at. I will be putting a 17x8 prop on her, so one more inch of prop than the one in the picture.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bforest6/GeeBee#

PaulG-rc
2010-01-11, 07:22 PM
Looking sharp there Bob

beto9
2010-01-12, 09:18 AM
so, there Bob... just put the plane "to bed"?

Dwight Macdonald
2010-01-13, 11:32 PM
Looks great Bob! Your Gee Bee seems more stretched than some others I have seen ... is there different versions of the full scale or did they take some liberty with the models to make them fly better?

bob forest
2010-01-14, 08:22 AM
Yes, they are different. The Bee Gee you are thinking of, was for racing, short wing. Then they did this one called the Gee Bee Y, for regular flying. They built two of them, if you go to google enter Gee Bee Y and you will get the whole story on it. I think one of them crashed as the woman who was flying it, wanted to race it, and the wings folded. The plane was not made for racing. only the regular Gee Bee was. So this is a scale of the real model, not a model made so that it almost looks like a Gee Bee so that it could fly better and safer.
I love the look of it.

bob forest
2010-01-19, 05:42 PM
Now that the Gee Bee Y is finished, I have started on my 77" Kantan with the FPE 40cc. Again by Pacific Aeromodel, very nice and very light. This kit came very cheap, about 275 dollars cdn delivered. Has no instructions, reason for the sale they are changing the model, as it has a problem of balancing due to the very long fuse. but the guys that have put gassers, have had little problem of balancing and makes it a real smooth plane, except for the smape roll, it does it, but a funny looking one.
I took some pics of how I mark for the taped holes for the nylon bolts. I do not use the metal screws that come with the kits. The nylon do not come loose with vibration. I use also the Painters masking tape that you can see through, and also use this same tape for placing my vinyl decals or like the one shoing pilot, bob forest. as you can see through this tape, easy to place the letters. also re the wood blocks, you can see the block and put your pencil mark exactly whre you want it.

bob forest
2010-03-19, 05:19 PM
Well, ran the engine today on my front lawn. Engine ran very well. A CRRC 26cc with electronic ignition. By the way I had those post made by a welder in Ille Bizard. Perfect for holding my plane to set it up, and then perfect for holding the plane from going forward, up to 150 cc without any problems. These are made of solid steel rods and all welded with a foot pusher to push the into the ground. They go into the ground a foot and a half.
Now to get all the surfaces correct. Almost there. Here are the pics.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/bforest6/GeeBeeYEngineTesting#

LAMAHORSE
2010-03-20, 06:11 AM
Nice going Bob ...
Your not getting old at all with such project going Buddy ...
Only younger ... :D:D:D

Looking foward to see you once again this year Bud ...