PDA

View Full Version : winter project

Michael V
2009-12-29, 09:58 PM
HEY!!! It came today :)
I got my other 35% today, got a nice surprise too the wing tube and stab are CF.
I am looking forward to the next few days of building. :)
Later

Kevin Rochon
2009-12-29, 10:48 PM
congratulation Michael! lots of fun ahead.

kevin

Dwight Macdonald
2009-12-29, 11:10 PM
Mike, it looks like you'll be the perfect baby sitter while building and then maintaining 2 aircraft!

Andrew Fernie
2009-12-30, 04:37 PM
Is it another Aeroworks Extra?

Andrew

Michael V
2009-12-30, 10:29 PM
Thanks Kevin
:0 my wife has already made plans with some of the other mothers to all go see a movie(the frog one) with the daughters, leaving me at home with my son.

And yes Andrew, it is another Areoworks, the same one as on the left in the picture. two identical plane with a few little differences one is IMAC/7.4v/canisters/ 3bl. The other is (IMAC/3D)/tuned pipe/smoke system/2bl.
Before people start talking, this was my wife's idea. I swear! She told me why don't you sell the yak and get another AW Extra 35% that way you have a true back-up plane for IMAC.
:) Now how can you argue with that.

Michael V
2010-01-16, 06:44 PM
So I was temporarily Layed-off on Thursday
I will have lots of time to build and fly now:D
I put smoke system in the first Extra and have made progress on the second. Got the rudder on and servo installed, both elevator halves are complete. receiver is in and wheels are on. I'll get started on the engine and fuel tank tomorrow.
If you look and the pic of the two elevator halfes you can see the difference between the. One has JR8611 with big arms(for 3D) the other has Hitec7950's with short servo arms.
And by the way Xavier, look at my work room/laundry room. I am so cramped and so jealous of you new work shop.
Later

beto9
2010-01-16, 06:50 PM
I am very uncomfortable with those two different servos for each half of the same surface... why!!!!! And the arms are not even near... Bad idea to equalize them in the radio... not canonical!
One plane, engine, etc. $$$$$$$$$$$$
One servo $$

Michael V
2010-01-16, 07:44 PM
The two elev halves are for each of my two planes not both for one of them.
The reason I went with the JR 8611's on the first one was because of money/ I got a good deal on them. The long silver JR arm is for 3D throws on my second plane I don't want it set-up for 3D. So I put short arms to increase the resolution of the control surface. Now here is where things will get interesting and the other reason I chose to have two of the same planes. I can put the wings and elevators halves from one plane onto the other and get it to do the 3D or IMAC characteristics I want from both planes, I will just have to have 4 planes set up in my radio

drgilo1973
2010-01-16, 09:00 PM
mike do u have a pics showing how u fit the black tube into the muffler , and did u enrole that tube around the engine for pre-heating ??

drgilo1973
2010-01-16, 09:01 PM
in the first picture its not so clear ..

bob forest
2010-01-16, 09:11 PM
Mike, very neat installation, very impressed with all of your hardware. Also what a neat idea to get 4 planes out of 2. You can say you got them for half price.

Michael V
2010-01-16, 09:23 PM
I drilled a 3/32 hole 1" from the exhaust outlet of the motor on the header. Installed a pressure fitting(6-32) in the hole.
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=DUB241
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=DUB199

drgilo1973
2010-01-16, 10:23 PM
thnks mike

Michael V
2010-01-19, 11:14 PM
So got back from the indoor, was great to see everyone. Lily liked it very much also, of course I had to bribe her to come with a donut :) but she still like the planes and seeing everyone.
So I have built the exhaust system and glued the canister mount in the tunnel. Put the throttle servo in and built the push rod for it. This was neat, first I took a threaded rod (4-40) and set it up to the length I wanted. Then I cut a piece of CF tube I had and glued it over the threaded rod, strong and light :)
Mounted the engine and installed the cans in the plane.
Tomorrow I tackle the cowl, and fuel tank.

bob forest
2010-01-19, 11:26 PM
Really, really nice work.

Michael V
2010-01-19, 11:40 PM
I thought building a second one right after the first one would be easy:confused:
It's not, but it is fun.
I noticed two differences tonight between the first and second.
The second has a hole in the fire wall behind the engine, first doesn't and the second has CF reinforced guide pin holes for the canopy.

bob forest
2010-01-20, 12:04 AM
Love those motor mount spacers, that is one clean looking install. Re first and second. I am sure they update their planes when a new bach is going into production, based on feedback that they get from owners of their models. I am sure they did it for a reason, in time you might find out why yourself. So check those two areas after your day of flying.Looking at the hole on the middle of the firewall, usually that is for passing the fuel lines, Maybe they got a request from many to do that. All my models came with a hole in the middle of the firewall. I am sure the guide pin is an improvement over the first one. Maybe they had wear on the way your first model was made. I would bet that when you order a third one, it will have some changes.

Michael V
2010-01-28, 02:34 PM
Put the tank together and installed it with the quick fill.

Michael V
2010-01-28, 02:51 PM
Built the Ign Kill, By built I mean cut off the supplied wire leads and install the ones I want, same for the switches. I put the switch in the front on this plane for two reasons. 1. easier to install 2. I was tail heavy with the first plane so I am putting a few things in the frt to balance better.
In picture "Switch 6" you can see a cut piece of fuel line that I placed on the edge of the fuse hole, I you might guess what this is for, it"s so the wood doesn't cut my wires :eek: vibration can be a Killer!

Michael V
2010-01-28, 02:59 PM
I put the ign module in. I did the same thing as the first, covered the metal braid with servo wrap and taped it up. Looks good and I don't have to worry about the braid getting cut, Vibration is a KILLER remember.

beto9
2010-01-28, 03:03 PM
...you can use electronic shrink tubing to finish all the cabling. Is very resilient and keeps it very tight. I use it to secure servo extensions at the plug-in point.
So... where are the skis? You ARE NOT waiting for the summer to fire that baby, baba.

Michael V
2010-01-28, 03:13 PM
This was a bit of a pain. There are 4 bolts that hold the cowl on, 2 6-32 at the top and 2 4-40 at the bottom. The two 6-32 provided were stripped or the wrong size and I damaged the blind nuts trying to test fit the cowl. Plus the 2 holes in the cowl for the underside didn't line up great with the blind nuts. So I got new 6-32 bolts and blind nuts from Ted's, it came in a pack of 4 :). I repaired the two top ones and changed the to bottom ones to 6-62 instead of the original 4-40. Then there is the baffle to install, that is not fun to make. A lot of sanding test fitting, looks good though.

Michael V
2010-01-28, 03:16 PM
...you can use electronic shrink tubing to finish all the cabling. Is very resilient and keeps it very tight. I use it to secure servo extensions at the plug-in point.
So... where are the skis? You ARE NOT waiting for the summer to fire that baby, baba.

No sir!, going to Florida to do that.(Maiden flight)
I used shrink wrap to hold the servo connection together also, cheap and easy.

Michael V
2010-01-28, 03:23 PM
So I just have the wings to put together and install the batteries. I was going to go with 7.4V Li-Ion but I changed my mind and ordered a couple more A123 from SinCityJets, should be here soon. All the servo's in the plane are high voltage so I can make the switch easily later.

Dwight Macdonald
2010-01-28, 04:31 PM
Where did you get the connectors from?

Michael V
2010-01-28, 04:36 PM
Thunderbolt R/C

http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=82&zenid=dda3vaiv3odh671vlo6phkjnd2

bob forest
2010-01-28, 08:06 PM
Mike, congrats on your build. I watched it, and it is incredible. Clean, and well planned. I wished I had your patience. That should be one sweet plane.

Michael V
2010-01-28, 08:20 PM
Mike, congrats on your build. I watched it, and it is incredible. Clean, and well planned. I wished I had your patience. That should be one sweet plane.

Thank you very much Bob.:D Clean and neat is what I strive for with all my builds. I am always looking to ensure that vibration doesn't damage somethng down the road.

bob forest
2010-02-01, 07:01 PM
Mike, I know it kind of late to show you this, but maybe on your next plane.
Look at this double swicth, all aluminum, for ignition and electronics. pretty neat. I got a price of 17 dollars US, it's the shipping that is the killer. for 0.5kg and under, 17 dollars to ship. So if you got a bunch of guys to order at least 10 units in all, that would be cheap to ship.
http://www.sdshobby.com/twin-power-switch-p-1190.html

Michael V
2010-02-05, 09:07 PM
Well I got the 2nd plane finished. But I was pressed for time to get the trailer finished so I could fit everything inside and go. Here are a few pic's, complete with alarm system.:D
The Edge 540 in the middle is my friend's Ron Sebag. He's flying down a week before the AMPS IMAC contest.
Later everyone!
Oh! Thanks Bill, I would not have gotten finished in time without your help.

bob forest
2010-02-05, 10:18 PM
Mike, Congrats on that set up. Wishing you and Ron all the best and a safe trip down. Give my regards to Ron, you are going to have a great time with him. He is a great guy.

beto9
2010-02-06, 10:04 AM
Have a great time and safe trip....

Dwight Macdonald
2010-02-06, 06:10 PM
It looks good Michael. Have a great trip! It looks like you guys will have a good contest ... lots of people in your classes!

PaulG-rc
2010-02-06, 06:22 PM
Glider view of the AMPS Field

FPV Cularis at AMPS field in Miami, FL on Vimeo

Mick
2010-02-06, 07:30 PM
Great video and nice looking field, I like the two grass runways. Have a great time.

bob forest
2010-02-06, 11:02 PM
If you haven't left yet, make sure to register your planes at the cdn customs. They really check them when you come back. They put a custums sticker on the inside of the fuse, also the green card for the radios. Once done, you can go back and forth to the US without worries. Again, have a great time. also Mike, if you want to make some extra money in florida, bring extra long johns, it has been cold in Floriday and lots of people are not prepared for it. Almost like bringing T shirts to Mexico.

zorba
2010-02-07, 10:48 AM
Well I got the 2nd plane finished. But I was pressed for time to get the trailer finished so I could fit everything inside and go. Here are a few pic's, complete with alarm system.:D
The Edge 540 in the middle is my friend's Ron Sebag. He's flying down a week before the AMPS IMAC contest.
Later everyone!
Oh! Thanks Bill, I would not have gotten finished in time without your help.

You are more than welcomed Mike. Have a safe trip and a good time for sure.

Cheers

Michael V
2010-02-09, 10:02 AM
We made it last night (7pm) everyone and everything is in good shape. long drive!
Later

Michael V
2010-03-04, 08:24 PM
So because there was no one at the field today I assembled #2 Extra and tested the motor. Of course the motor started on the 3rd or 4th flip and ran great. It's running rich and if your not too quick on the gas from idle she runs like a sewing machine. I was not surprised how quite it was but I was surprised that it could only spin the 27-10 prop 6000rpm. I was hoping for more than that. I weighted it fully assembled 29lbs 4oz. This is 3lbs lighter then #1 Extra. So I think I will have very similar performance. #1 Extra is spinning a 28-10 6500rpm and the plane weights 32lbs 4oz.
Can't wait for the maiden flight, I was going to do it in Florida but I didn't have time. I was having to much fun flying :)

Andrew Fernie
2010-03-04, 08:54 PM
3lbs is a pretty significant improvement. What were the major contributors?

Andrew

xed
2010-03-04, 09:08 PM
Tuned pipes vs. cans...

You will get more RPMs out of it as it breaks in, assuming this is a new engine and of course if you ever get the balls to turn the needles. :)

Michael V
2010-03-11, 07:13 PM
3lbs is a pretty significant improvement. What were the major contributors?

Andrew

First the cans are a little lighter than the pipes and the DA-100"L" is lighter. I don't have a smoke system on this one, MPI Titanium/Aluminum Alloy Axle and a CF Spinner.

I emailed Jeff at DA and he tells me that 6000rpm is good for the start, after a couple gals and when you switch to Amsoil I should get 6300-6500.

Michael V
2010-03-11, 07:48 PM
I had some grafix's made for my plane. WOW!!! does it look good:Dancing_biggrin:
Thanks Paul!

For the first Extra, I will do a FULL TILT theme.

Dwight Macdonald
2010-03-11, 11:02 PM
Looking good Michael!

bob forest
2010-03-12, 06:13 AM
Mike, Paul does a great job of graphics. You did not make the graphic with your name near the cockpit. Paul made mine as you can see by the picture. People will want to know who owns that beautiful plane.

PaulG-rc
2010-03-12, 06:41 AM
Looks amazing Michael

Did you land on the roof :D:D

Michael V
2010-03-12, 08:07 AM
Dwight, Bob and Paul.
LOL you like my roof Paul. If I were into Heli's I would have a great place to fly right outside my workshop.

briankizner
2010-03-12, 01:25 PM
Beautiful plane,Beautiful graphics. Paul's work has always been exceptional.

Michael V
2010-03-28, 08:11 PM
So I finshed the grafix's on the first plane today.
I'm very happy with the end result.
I am going to have Paul make me the "ING" and "ON" for the bottom wings.
Can't wait to see her in the air.

Michael V
2010-04-05, 08:59 PM
So I went flying at Amidair this pass week-end. I got in 27 flights of IMAC :) 6 of those on the new #2 Extra (PokerStars) It's very quite and flies just like the first one(FullTilt). On the maiden I only had to give 2 clicks of Rt AIL.
So, I have noticed since FLorida that #1's engine has been koncking and it seemed to get worse over this pass week-end. So I will send it to DA to checked and repaired, I beleive I have put on 150 IMAC flight on it since I bought it from Paul Burage and I am sure Dwight put on the same last year. FYI I lent this engine to Dwight last year.
And that's why I have 2 planes. If I only had the one I woud be grounded or worse I would push it and maybe have a deadstick and crash later.

Later