PDA

View Full Version : Covering with Kraft paper

Xavier
2010-01-07, 08:07 AM
Here is an interesting technique to cover foam wings with Kraft paper instead of balsa. It is cheaper and seems to be quicker and easier. The end result may not look as nice but I could see application on a trainer or a combat airplane. It could be useful when experimenting with different wing designs. The same principle could be used for the tail as well as the fuse probably.

Note that this technique is shown here by the father of multiple F3A aerobatic world champion Christophe Paysant LeRoux who was using this technique on his competition airplanes for many years. So it seems that it's good also for aerobatic airplane. Maybe there is a secret aerodynamic effect from the rought surface :-)

http://modelairclub.ch.free.fr/?p=4-3-1&lang=fr

I have new foam wings for one of my plane and I am thinking of trying that technique this winter.

Xavier

PaulG-rc
2010-01-07, 08:54 AM
Thats very interesting, I might try this on some of my foam wings, .......if I build another plane that is :D

Burning Head
2010-01-07, 01:40 PM
great Xavier, the link are easy to understand and in french. '' Sacre bleu:D '' enfin je vais tous comprendre:cool:

Kevin Rochon
2010-01-07, 01:53 PM
I have an old Model Airplane News that has an article on this. The plane was a twin Hawkeye(?) foam with balsa sheeting then he put the brown paper. Lots of sanding coats of glue then sanding etc..... beautiful finish but so much work.

Firberglass and paint easier probably lighther?

Kevin

Xavier
2010-01-07, 02:37 PM
This one only has the brown paper (the one with the fiber in it). No wood except for the spar. It should be really cheap to do.

Xavier

loflyer2001
2010-01-07, 04:40 PM
I did cover an all foam Blom und Voss BV141 model a few years back
and it did come out quite heavy when all was done. After about
a year the finish appear to have ...goose bumps....and yes
you could dent it with your finger nails.
There is also another paper method.....it is the paper mache
method (newspaper strips and walpaper glue) three layers seem
to be enough. It is much lighter and easier to apply. You sand
it when dry, seal it with something the vapors will not attack the
foam and your on your way for your favorite paint job.
Mind you it is a long process and has been used by modelers
who do not have easy access to model supplies.