PDA

View Full Version : Thinking if buying this what do you think?

XSTAR
2010-01-19, 08:40 PM
Im thinking of building a gas plane and i really like this one.
http://estore.websitepros.com/stores/1732294/catalog/ABX26070.jpg

Abell RC 25% X260
The New Green Machine 70" Extra 260 is an eye catcher to say the least, but looks
aren't everything, this big bird flies as good as it looks due to its generous wing area
and light wing loading. Weather you power it with a glow engine, gas engine or even
a brushless out runner setup you will be pleased with the stunning looks and awesome
performance. The X260 excels in both precision and 3D flight! Rock solid harriers,
straight and true knife edge's, crisp snap rolls, axial rolls and breath taking rollers!

Features:
1, Computer designed structure
2, Light weight construction with high structural strength
3, Superior quality
4, Complete with accessories
5, Easy assembly
6, Low wing loading
7, Excellent aerobatics and 3D performance
8, High performance hardware includes:
Ball linkage control system
Anodized 6061 Aluminum landing gear
9, Two piece removable wings
10 Carbon fiber wing tube
11 Powered by Electric Glow or Gasoline
Specs:
WING SPAN: 70"
WING AREA: 972sq in
LENGTH: 67" without spinner
FLYING WEIGHT: 8.6-9.5lbs
ENGINE: 20-32cc gas / 1.20-1.50 Glow
RADIO: 4CH / 5-6 Servos (Recomended; 80 inch ounce torque, metal gear)

Here is my questions,
What exactly do i need to complete the build?
What motor is good? Any from Hobby City i can use?
I have 4 new Spektrum DS821 servos can they be used?

Thanks for your info.

Marco

Michael V
2010-01-19, 10:24 PM
I don't think the ds821 will work 1. they are 72oz-in plus they are plastic gear. I would go with Hitec 5625mg or JR Z650. For the engine I would go with a DLE 30, get it from Azure Hobbies. Johnny the owner is a great guy to deal with, http://www.azurehobbies.com/index.php
So what battery are you thinking of, and what radio system are you using?

XSTAR
2010-01-19, 11:10 PM
The servo says 88oz at 6v, im using a dx7, im not sure about what battery i need this will be my first gas plane, right now i fly a trex 500 and a precision aerobatics katana md and there both electric. What do you think of the plane itself have you ever heard or abell?

Michael V
2010-01-19, 11:31 PM
And the build thread I found on this plane looks, well not fun to build. Price is nice thought. Yes they are 88 @ 6V and they are still plastic gears:( They suggest metal, so do I.
I have some other ideas for the battery, switch, spinner, axels, LG, servo arms, servo extension if you want.

XSTAR
2010-01-21, 03:32 PM
Why do you say its not an easy build? Does the plane look somewhat solid? And lastly is there another one you would recommend for a simular price?

thanks

Michael V
2010-01-21, 07:56 PM
So I'm not an expert. David would be the guy to ask.
I looked over the build thread on this plane, gluing hinges(CA hinges also), drilling control horn, cutting stab covering. I'm lazy so this is a lot of work for me :). I'm building my second AW Extra 260 QB(Quick Build) right now, AW says 8 to 10 hr build time. Remember I've built this airplane already and I'm up to 20 some hrs. I'm just saying it is going to take time, if that is what you want go for it.
From the build thread I read, yes it looks solid.
There is RC pilot, these looks nice.
http://www.pilot-rc.com/ProductShow.aspx?id=80

XSTAR
2010-01-21, 10:01 PM
Wow i really like that color scheme, looks like my katana md.
So i think your right for just a tad more the plane is prehinged and other stuff is already done for you.

Thanks

Michael V
2010-01-22, 08:47 AM
Get it from Azure Hobbies, price is in Canadian dollars. He is the official canadian distributor of DLE engines.
DLE 30
http://www.azurehobbies.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=174
airplane
http://www.azurehobbies.com/product_info.php?cPath=57_59&products_id=191
If you go with A123 battery(http://www.sincityjets.com/store-batteries.htm), you can power the plane and the IGN system with 1 battery. To power the IGN and give you an added measure of safety use an IGN Optic kill.
http://www.azurehobbies.com/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=99
For the switch use a SmartFly SuperSwitch with Universal Charge Jack
DSC switch with 18ga input(deans), dual 22ga outputs, universal charge jack for redundancy. Note: I have a brand new one of these, I liked them so much I bought 3 extra ones.

XSTAR
2010-01-22, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the info, Thats definetly going to be my next purchase now i just need to find some spare cash, lol

Kevin Rochon
2010-01-22, 01:23 PM
Michael when they say 8-10 hours they mean for 2 or 3 guys so you got to multiply.....

On my Extra 40CC I'm going the simple way (cheap) good analog servos two batt. 1 x 4.8 for ignt. and 1 x 6v for RX two switch reg Futaba. this work good for 5 years in my Cap should be ok for your 30cc.

Kevin
my 2 cents

Michael V
2010-01-22, 07:12 PM
Times change, we don't use a horse and buggy to get around :p
What is simpler than 1 Battery, 1 switch and an Optic kill, I've been using this set-up for 3yrs with no problems. The A123 battery charge's in 15 min, and the optic kill allows you to turn the engine's electrical power on and off from you radio. And you only have 1 battery and switch to install, big weight savings also.

XSTAR
2010-01-26, 09:48 PM
Cant find that 73" pilot rc plane anywhere in orange, azura hobbies only has it in black and i dont like that color at all, he has it in the 86" 50cc but its 300$ more...Not even sure if pilot rc is even still making that size anymore...:(

Michael V
2010-01-26, 09:53 PM
Cant find that 73" pilot rc plane anywhere in orange, azura hobbies only has it in black and i dont like that color at all, he has it in the 86" 50cc but its 300$ more...Not even sure if pilot rc is even still making that size anymore...:(

And he can't get it for you?

XSTAR
2010-01-26, 10:03 PM
No, its not in his next order, im not sure what the deal is with rc pilot also on there site they dont show replacement parts for the planes and that scares me, i like to know when i need something i can get it fairly quick. So now im back to square 1.. I have a feeling that 30cc is an odd size and most people go 50cc...i really love this one but the price is killing me...

http://www.azurehobbies.com/product_info.php?cPath=57_58&products_id=200

Michael V
2010-01-26, 10:16 PM
No, its not in his next order, im not sure what the deal is with rc pilot also on there site they dont show replacement parts for the planes and that scares me, i like to know when i need something i can get it fairly quick. So now im back to square 1.. I have a feeling that 30cc is an odd size and most people go 50cc...i really love this one but the price is killing me...

http://www.azurehobbies.com/product_info.php?cPath=57_58&products_id=200

Strong airframe, Quick Build, lots of parts out there.
how about this one http://www.hiflightrcshopping.com/airplanes/arf/gasoline/aerobatic-3d/wild-hare-73-extra-260-fast-biuld-arf.html

XSTAR
2010-01-26, 10:18 PM
Thanks, i have to decide soon i have a buyer for my plane and i need to moe quick.

Crashis Clay
2010-01-30, 04:40 PM
Thanks, i have to decide soon i have a buyer for my plane and i need to moe quick.

The X260 actually goes togethr pretty fast, I have a total of 50hrs in the one in the build thread at www.abellrc.com and that time include the build thread itself! I do agree with Michael V about the CA Hinges, they do work well and are easy to install but a real hinge like a Dubro or Robart would be best for longevity, If you use the dubro flat hinges, the work is minimal, the slots are allready there, they just need to be opened up a bit for the thicker Dubro Hinge. I personaly dont favor a pre hinged ARF, I just feel better knowing that the hinges are glued in properly and securely and the only way to be absolutely sure of such a thing is to do it yourself. As far as parts go, I couldnt agree with you more, Parts availability is a must, you never know wen you might need a cowl or canopy or heaven forbid, a fuselage. We will have a full line of parts available for the X 260,

What ever you decide on I am sure you will be happy, the Pilot planes are good too!:D

L8R
Clay Ness
Abell Hobby

XSTAR
2010-01-30, 06:09 PM
I really like the abell extra 260 but when i asked abellrc for a shipping quote to me in Montreal Canada they wanted 100$ USD so now the plane is 400$ USD and for that price canadian i could get the RC Pilot extra 260 which is a quick build plane and pre hinged so i have to weigh out all options..

Your build looks very well done, congrats

Xstar

Crashis Clay
2010-01-30, 07:19 PM
oh! that was you,
XSTAR, what is the prefered shiping method for you? We did a test shipment via UPS and it did come to about $100, but maybe there is a better way, maybe you can send you shipping info to us again to clay@abellrc.com , I will see if maybe DHL can do better

Clay

XSTAR
2010-01-30, 08:56 PM
I order alot from the states and i allways insist on using USPS because i almost never get caught paying duties when it arrives. UPS is the worst out there. It also helps to write done on the customs shipping papers a low value and that its a gift...Do you have a video out yet of it in flight?

Crashis Clay
2010-01-31, 08:58 PM
I order alot from the states and i allways insist on using USPS because i almost never get caught paying duties when it arrives. UPS is the worst out there. It also helps to write done on the customs shipping papers a low value and that its a gift...Do you have a video out yet of it in flight?

gotya on that low value thing but I see two problems....
1. The X260 is over the size limit of the USPS (as far as I know)
2. A low value does not offer the shipper any security in the case of damage during shipping

I beleive that I will get a quote from DHL, I know that they are partnered with USPS for Canada shipments, be sure to send your shipping address to me so I can work on some quotes

Clay

Xavier
2010-01-31, 10:25 PM
I found that the best way to get large packages from the US is to get them delivered to http://freeportforwarding.com/ and pick them up myself. I then stop at the border to pay the taxes. It makes shipping a lot cheaper as it stays in the US. A plane box (80x18x12 approx) cost about 100$ from anywere in the US with Fedex. It also save time and the broker fees. I was told that depending were the content has been produced, there maybe some border fees also.

Xavier

Mick
2010-02-01, 05:25 PM
Xavier, do you need some form of account with them? How does it work?

bob forest
2010-02-01, 07:10 PM
Re Freeport shipping I use it all the time. They charge you 3 dollars per box, not per day, but only 3 dollars. Like if you can't pic it up right away, you go 3 days after it arrived, it is only 3 dollars and pay in cdn money. also when you order, make sure the shipper has your phone no on the box, name and address. They will sometimes call you when it arrives. Also I ask the hobby dealer or manufacturer to mark on the invoice made in USA. When you arrive at the border, tell them you have something to declare. bring in the invoice only. Do not lie about the price, do not tell the dealer to mark it down. The customs know where to go and look. They custom agent looks it up and gives you a paper with the cost. You pay the taxes and that is it. They never come out to look. But if you are bringing in a old kit or old plane you bought at a flee market, like Toledo, that is when you need a paper from the seller and they might come out and have a look.
Freeport are great people to deal with. Oh, I forgot to mention, before I go to Freeport I go to the next exit after and get my gas fill her up save about 150 a gallon, and it pays my trip there. Drive home wistling and happy all the way.

Crashis Clay
2010-02-02, 09:01 AM
I found that the best way to get large packages from the US is to get them delivered to http://freeportforwarding.com/ and pick them up myself. I then stop at the border to pay the taxes. It makes shipping a lot cheaper as it stays in the US. A plane box (80x18x12 approx) cost about 100$ from anywere in the US with Fedex. It also save time and the broker fees. I was told that depending were the content has been produced, there maybe some border fees also.

Xavier

No that sounds like a great idea, thanks for the advice, I will look in to it today:D

Clay

beto9
2010-02-02, 09:17 AM
Xavier, do you need some form of account with them? How does it work?

Go to their Web site. They explain (a bit poorly) what to do. If your package will be delivered by USPS (U. S. Postal Service), the cheapest, they need a release form which can be used for all deliveries by USPS. You file it with them (I downloaded it, filled and signed, scanned, e-mailed back to them) and they give you a number that you have to quote in the "Ship to" address (...their address, of course) so they can tie your box to you.
Voila...

Get a few enthusiasts together, make a day trip, have a Big Mac there and come back with your goodies. If you find Bob Forest there do not ignore him, he is an OK guy....