PDA

View Full Version : RC flying in Southeat Labrador

briankizner
2010-02-28, 07:50 PM
As many of you know, I am a long time active member of WIMAC who has been less active the last year and a half since moving to Forteau, Newfoundland. I think I miss the people at WIMAC more than anything else in Montreal and still try to visit the club whenever I am in the area. I was there in early January but no members were there that day. Oh well, maybe next time.
Forteau is in the Southeast corner of Labrador, just a few minutes drive from the Easternmost point of Quebec (also the most Eastern part of mainland North America), Blanc Sablon. 25 kilometres across the Labrador Strait is the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland.
One of my first priorities here was to find a site where I could safely fly my planes. I received permission from the owner of an airstrip 6 km from home to fly there. He runs a business flying Medevacs, ferrying people to Newfoundland (11 minute flight), and taking people to other areas of Labrador for fishing. One of the attached photos shows my Tango in front of his Beaver. The runway surface is gravel, a bit bumpy for our planes but OK. The view from the field is great as it is on a plateau overlooking the strait and the Point Amour lighthouse- one of the tallest and oldest lighthouses in Atlantic Canada. On a clear day, you can see across to the island of Newfoundland. We often see icebergs, whales, and seals. I still marvel at the view. Locals barely notice.
My next priority was to find flying buddies. Luckily, a few guys who have seen my planes decided that they wanted to try. Pictured are Frank Buckle, Cecil Davis, Gaius Trimm¸me, and our aircraft. Great Hobbies should send me a commission.
This has been an unusual winter here, almost no snow and unseasonally warm. Most of February has been 0 to +5 degrees C. The winds the last few days have been light- ideal for model airplanes. The pictures of the boys show them after their first flights today. I got in a few trainer-cord flights with each of them today. All did well with no unexpected meetings with the ground.
As for me, I am still flying Stephane`s old coroplast combat Mig. It looks even rougher now than a couple of years ago but still flies beautifully, and fast.
I don`t know if Krish Blake reads these threads, but I finally got his old Atlanta ready to fly. I suspect Bob Forest may also be familiar with this aircraft. It is an old pattern plane, all fibreglass construction, tricycle mechanical retracts, and OS.61 with tuned pipe. I wanted to fly it yesterday but the motor threw the prop and I now need to find a prop-nut with the correct thread. (Safety note- I was glad that I always stand behind a running prop. The propellor landed 15 feet in front of the plane).
A lesson in Newfoundlandese. English here is unique. Airplanes, cars, boats, snowmobiles, ATV`s, are always female. A typical comment about a nice flying plane would be `She flies some good`. Interestingly, troublesome things are often masculine. In my profession (dentistry), someone might say to me `My tooth is tormenting me and I wants to haul him out`. B`y (ie boy) is an all purpose space filler in conversation, much the way people elsewhere use `like`. People in casual conversation will routinely call you `my son`or `my love`or, of course, `b`y`.
I also include a photo of the newest members of my family. In white, Coco, 10 months, and ,in black, Mimi, 3 months old. They are Bichon-Shitsu mix and absolutely delightful company for my wife and me.
All in all, the last few days have been filled with RC activity up here. I hope to see some of you on my next visit.

loflyer2001
2010-02-28, 09:07 PM
Looks like your in luck "me son" because the thread of your prop
nut is common hardware on that there aeroplane you have up
there on them there snow skiis. Lock nut sizes 3/8-24,1/4-28,
5/16-24 are an aviation fine thread use on Beavers, Cessnas and
Pipers. There are quite a few around in your area from St-Augustin
to St-Anthony,NL Local AME who does inspections on those aircraft
have all that in stock. One tooth filling will keep you and your group
well in stock. Did ye have a good feed of seal flippers yet bye...
some gud... a bye. Lard Jaysus some gud talks to ye.

Guy

Andrew Fernie
2010-02-28, 09:46 PM
Looks like you have a spectacular flying site Brian. Enjoy, and hope to see you out at the field next time you come through Montreal.

Andrew

bob forest
2010-03-01, 07:09 AM
Brian, wonderful story, and the pics were great. I feel that you should write a story for the MAAC MAG. This is good and interesting reading. Yes I remember that pattern ship. When you fly her, you will notice one thing. How she grooves.
Send more pics and other stories of what is going on there. The pics of the Icebers, just great.
Nice hearing from you.

beto9
2010-03-01, 09:13 AM
Not only great to hear from you but your news are even better.
I was wondering when you would post something but I know you "are there".
Do not forget that if you visit here in winter you can find a good number in the indoor flying on Tuesdays. And then we go for non-kosher smoked meat.
You will probably have more repairs on you planes from taking off and landings than actual in the air problems.
Great you found buddies, is a piss to fly alone....
The weather has been the same here, one of the best February in memory!
Keep well!

xed
2010-03-01, 09:46 AM
Good to hear from you by...

That some nice flying field you have there...

Some nice weather too!

Fellow Maritimer (almost)!

briankizner
2010-03-01, 05:14 PM
Thanks, everyone. By the way. The rusted metal in the foreground of the iceberg shot is some of the remains of the Raleigh, a British military ship which sunk in the treacherous waters near Forteau. There are over eighty shipwrecks in the area, the beaches are littered with rusty metal.
Guy, it sounds like you have been to Quebec's North Shore and/or the Northern Peninsula.

briankizner
2010-03-01, 05:37 PM
Forgot to mention. Guy is also familiar with the fact that a lot of people up here still use the old English "ye".
I would love to go for smoked meat with you guys. Fact is, that my wife and I brought home two entire smoked meats (about 15 pounds each) from Snowdon Deli and have treated some of our neighbours to it. Not as good as cod tongues or Jiggs dinner but not bad.
One last question. A neighbour has an unopened Unionville Beaver kit, 8 foot span. The backstory to this is that her husband used to fly from the airfield here until last June when he tragically crashed an Islander during a medevac flight. He had bought the kit as a father-son project. His widow now wants her son to build it and has asked me for advice on construction. I explained to her that it would be a daunting and expensive project but she says she is prepared to go ahead. I definitely can help and will help them order adhesives, covering, radio equipment etc. I do not have the info in front of me at the moment but I think the plans call for .60-1.20 glow power. I think this airframe should be large and sturdy enough for a gasoline motor. Any suggestions?

briankizner
2010-03-01, 05:47 PM
And my third reply to my own reply.....
Bob, I am hoping to start a new MAAC club here. I have explained to the others that, aside from insurance, it is a great feeling to be in a club such as WIMAC. I think, given the great initial response, as soon as one or two new pilots can solo, and a few others become interested, we will reach a critical mass and be able to do it.

Andrew Fernie
2010-03-01, 05:53 PM
Maybe something like a Zenoah 20cc? The 26cc would be a bit much if the 9.5-10 lbs they list on their specs are close. I hade the G26 in my Taylorcaft and it was about right at 15.3lbs dry.

I think that David Janashvili might have had one of these planes. You could try sending him a PM or email if he isn't monitoring the thread.

bob forest
2010-03-01, 06:50 PM
Brian, I have the CRRC 26cc, which is in my GEE BEE which weighs 13.5lbs. This is an excellent engine, and it sells for 195 cdn. He quotes US prices, but you can deal with him. The engine runs great, fantastic idle and easy to start. It might be just a bit more power than you need for that plane, but you don't have to use all the power anyway. His name is Ray. Tell him that you are a new club in Labrador, and it is an oportunity for him to get his products in there. Very nice person to speak to, and very good service. Sound like a nice plane. That is an old company if I remember. Don't forget to post more pics. I am telling you Brian, all of Canada would like to read of what you are doing there.Brian, I hope you don't show your friends my picture, they might think you did the work.

loflyer2001
2010-03-01, 09:22 PM
I dont think you will be happy returning to this concrete jungle Brian after
being there for awhile. Yes, I have lived in NL and keep returning often.
People there are nice and down to earth, they tell it as it is.
Does not take much to have a party. Great outdoor living.
Spent 6 weeks camping last summer. I was at a Provincial Campground
called The Dildo Run Campground (LOL) Weird names indeed and
have been in Come By Chance also. Oh me son, some awful good names.

Guy:)