PDA

View Full Version : 450 size Huey 1H-1B Build

PaulG-rc
2010-03-27, 07:51 AM
Other project on the way for Jimmy Gagnon of WIMAC.
I dont usually build at this time but since weather was not the greatest I decided to start the assembly of the JY450SL mechanic.
Spreaded the bags to check it out and then open the book, then closed the book and put the book away since its useless.
If anyone has never assembled a heli before and need the instruction forget about this kit. :rolleyes:
Also checked all screws and none had thread lock so secured them now.
No screws are supplied to hold the servos to the frame.
The gold color is cool but strange for a heli mechanic. :D

Its a HeliArtist fuselage that I will modify using a scale heavy scale plastic Huey for parts and model reference.:)

PaulG-rc
2010-03-27, 09:54 AM
A bit more this morning :)

Left to do .
Install cyclic servos, Gyro ,ESC , flybar and paddles, balance blades and install.
Then last I will install my Spectrum receiver to adjust and test fly mechanic with regular stock tail rotor.
If all is good I will then install the raised 45'deg tail rotor for the Huey.

PaulG-rc
2010-03-28, 09:19 AM
A bit more this sunday morning, something I dont really like very much but its done.
ESC and 4 LiPo's conection solder :)

PaulG-rc
2010-03-28, 10:12 AM
Just did the blade balancing on those fiberglass blades but will not use them as one of them is warp so I will not risk it and I will use Align Woodies.

The same type of blades have failed in flight on one of my helis and never used them again.

zorba
2010-03-28, 12:37 PM
what is the brand name of the blades Paul?

PaulG-rc
2010-03-28, 12:44 PM
I have no idea what they are, when I bought my second 450 used I had 2 sets and one failed in flight just in the grip were the screw is.
Thats the last time I used them.

PaulG-rc
2010-03-28, 05:06 PM
Well the mechanic is done and 2 small indoor hover done. :D

A clone is a clone :rolleyes: the ESC is the pits I dont like it and I dont even have any info on it.
The motor seems powerful enough but in the boom heli version for now.
I could not tighten the tail rotor casing so I had to drill a small hole and put in a small screw to prevent it from turning and moving.
I put on the canopy from my Hybride 450 for the CG.

Have to do more test outside.

PaulG-rc
2010-04-12, 05:04 PM
Did a bit more work these past couple days.
I installed the 45' raise tail system but it wasn't a breeze, I had to modify the rotor system ,cut the boom shorter and also make a cable system for pitch control.
Did a test hover and all is very good. :D
The only other mod I have to do is change the plastic pulley in between the plates as after 5 min one pully was already melting out of shape.
I will use the gear from the tail rotor shaft and that should do it. :D

When its done I will install in the fuselage to test the weight.
Then it will be the fuselage work in do time. :D

Burning Head
2010-04-12, 06:06 PM
Very use full thread Paul, great job:cool:

PaulG-rc
2010-04-14, 09:01 PM
A bit more work on the Huey UH-1B tonight.

Some body work cutting the front windshield to make it scale.
I also used the scale skids from the diecast model but had to reposition the skid fix point under the belly at the scale point, for that I had to make a new channel and will add blocks on the inside.

So far so good :D

PaulG-rc
2010-04-17, 06:39 PM
Update, I did some work on the fuselage yesterday and today I installed the mechanic inside.................hello headake city :rolleyes:

Anyway after 3 hrs of pulling the little hair I have on my head I finally did a hover test of 5 min and it flew very well :D ...........................but then I lost the tail servo and the bind started to flash.
I did a bind again and still no servo on the tail and the bind not good.

Now I have to remove the mechanic again just to investigate this strange problem :mad:

PaulG-rc
2010-04-29, 08:18 AM
Some more time on the Huey before and after work yesterday so now its getting closer to the painting.
I did more cutting of all windows to make them more scale, cut outs for the accessories and lights none functional because I need to keep weight down .
Already the Huey needs 60g in the nose for CG.
So the little project that was supose to be done only next winter is almost done :D

PaulG-rc
2010-05-02, 08:20 PM
This evening I was able to prime and paint.
Very happy with the result so far. :D

PaulG-rc
2010-05-04, 08:32 AM
A bit more last night and this morning.

Did some weathering ,the front nose is painted flat black and did the US Stars on each side.

Coming along :D

PaulG-rc
2010-05-13, 10:12 AM
Ok sneak peak, just came in from some hover, not bad but his batteries are not too good so I tried mine and much better. :D

Burning Head
2010-05-13, 04:03 PM
Wow, very nice :) Lets go save some POW ( prisonnier of war):cool:

PaulG-rc
2010-05-18, 10:59 PM
Well today was the day for foward flight testing and photoshoot
I also have a couple videos but I need to edit but not just now
Lamahorse took mostly all pictures , it was hard to choose because he took over 200 of the huey.
He also had an idea of taking some shots while the farmers were working in the fields around making some dust so that it looks like smoke and gave a feel of war time.
i then converted some to Black and white.
The Huey flew whell but is a bit on the heavy side so I had to watch out in downwind turns.
Its also very hard to see because of the green color and small size.
So after 4 full forward flight testing the Huey UH-1 is ready for delivery to its owner.

More pictures here
http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulG91/HeliArtistHueyUH1450Size

zorba
2010-05-19, 05:18 AM
Congrats Paul, very nice. what's next???

Serge nice shots you inprooving...

LAMAHORSE
2010-05-19, 07:09 AM
Thanks,
uncle Bill ...

Always fun with Paul ...

zorba
2010-05-19, 06:03 PM
Now that makes me feel old...

LAMAHORSE
2010-05-19, 09:10 PM
It show
my respect towards you my friend Bill ...

One thing for shure Bill, were all young at heart in this hobby ...
We need to as to make our wonderfull flying machines ...

zorba
2010-05-19, 09:24 PM
I couldn't of said it better my self. right on

PaulG-rc
2010-05-20, 07:33 AM
Here is a small edited video of one flight

YouTube- Huey UH-1 Iroquois

Youtube seems to be having trouble so not shure if it will be live yet.

Paul

Mick
2010-05-21, 09:19 AM
Nice one Paul, well done.

PaulG-rc
2010-05-21, 10:35 AM
Thanks Mick, the owner will be happy for shure. :)

zorba
2010-05-21, 05:36 PM
Very nice Paul. What's the next project??

turkana
2010-05-21, 08:36 PM
I vote for a Hind! :D

zorba
2010-05-22, 07:10 AM
Yeap same here. With all those launcers, machineguns and bombs is right up your alley Paul...

Cheers

PaulG-rc
2010-05-22, 07:13 AM
Sorry I dont like that heli :D never did too :D

RMachucaA
2010-07-01, 10:32 PM
Wow it turned out great, love the scale flight.

Is the difficulty you went through with this build typical regardless of the brand of heli? or is it mainly because it was a clone?

Im looking into getting back into the hobby, but things have changed so much im back to being a newbie :P.

PaulG-rc
2010-07-03, 01:00 AM
THe difficulties were because of the type clone, frame and lenght were not standard.

Paul