PDA

View Full Version : Fun-Fly 2010

xed
2010-08-26, 01:51 PM
Another Fun Fly Goes By

We had to move the Fun Fly to Monday to respond to the poor weather on Saturday and Sunday, but it didn't seem to hurt the attendance and I saw alot of smiles. Not sure how many pilots and guests we had, but the parking lot was full, 12 dozen corn cobs and hot dogs disappeared, and the pits were filled with at least 38 planes and 36 helis.
Thanks to Michael, Greg and the rest that were on cooking duty. That was the best corn I have had for a long time (apparently the secret is 14 minutes after it comes back to the boil). In addition, thanks to Tarek and Albert for picking up the food and drinks, Mick for looking after the parking lot, Ronald for selling raffle tickets, and all the members and guests for participating.

Thanks also to the local hobby stores for supporting us with contributions to the raffle prizes. Please remember them when you are shopping around for hobby supplies.
1. Serge and Julie at Distribution aux Modelistes in Laval
2. Nick at N.D.Heli in Mascouche
3. Peter at Ted's Hobby Shop in Pointe-Claire

It was nice to see our MAAC zone director, Steve Woloz, and assistant zone director, Paul Burrage at the field, and also great have a number of former members who have been distracted by parenting demands visit us for the day. I hope we see all of you back again.

Start your sun dances now for Labour Day weekend 2011.

Andrew

pierre sarault
2010-09-04, 07:45 AM
Hi at WIMAC
I will not be able to attend your well-organized day with families, flying and fun not because of the weather, but I've promised to help an old relative out.
Thanks to all,
Pierre Sarault

LAMAHORSE
2010-09-04, 08:01 AM
I shure
hope you'll be able to have it today.

Looking good from my westbound location.
All clouds have broke off to a blue sky.

It is 8am now ...

Andrew Fernie
2010-09-04, 08:06 AM
DELAYED TO MONDAY SEPTEMBER 6

The regular Weather Network forecast is cloudy with showers and 15 km/hr this morning changing to isolated showers and 35 km/hr wind this afternoon. The aviation weather forecast is predicting that the winds will move to 15kts, gusts to 25kts in the 10:00-13:00 period, then add another 5kts after that.

No rain, variable cloudiness and 25 km/hr for Sunday.

Cloudy periods and 20 km/hr for Monday.

Given the wind forecast in particular, we will move to Monday. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it won't be much fun for anyone if we are wet and can't fly because of the wind.

zorba
2010-09-04, 08:10 AM
Agreed thanks for the info Andrew..Monday it is...

Mick
2010-09-04, 08:10 AM
The forecast on our home page is:

Cloudy with sunny periods and 60 percent chance of showers. Wind west 20 km/h becoming south-west 40 gusting to 60 this afternoon. High 23. UV index 5 or moderate.

60km/hr gusts would be interesting.

zorba
2010-09-04, 08:14 AM
Andrew I was just talking with Nick fro ND Heli and he wants to make sure that is moved to Monday

pierre sarault
2010-09-04, 08:14 AM
Hi,
Rats for the weather and thanks for adjusting the fun-fly schedule...I was planning to go to the field Monday anyhow....See you then and hping for fair weather with low wind + Thanks to all of you for organizing this event.
Pierre Sarault

zorba
2010-09-04, 08:16 AM
The forecast on our home page is:

Cloudy with sunny periods and 60 percent chance of showers. Wind west 20 km/h becoming south-west 40 gusting to 60 this afternoon. High 23. UV index 5 or moderate.

60km/hr gusts would be interesting.

Good for gliders Mick

Andrew Fernie
2010-09-04, 08:18 AM
Andrew I was just talking with Nick fro ND Heli and he wants to make sure that is moved to Monday

Mario just called me - he was speaking with Nick. Nick won't be able to make it on Monday, but will be there this morning. So, if you want to see some great heli flying, and can get permission from your home powers to go to the field today and Monday, check it out. Apparently he will have some fuel to sell at good prices.

zorba
2010-09-04, 08:20 AM
That's a huge trailer. I hope is not too muddy or he will get stuck..

David Janashvili
2010-09-04, 08:25 AM
Sorry Guys I won't be able to make it on Monday

whamdar
2010-09-04, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the info
monday it is
As this is my first time, Am so excited

Tarek Hassoune
2010-09-04, 08:38 AM
yes He confirmed it to me it seems he cant make it on Monday if u Guys looking for Cheap Fuel tray to be there today he will do some flying too

zorba
2010-09-04, 09:46 AM
I am at the field now. Nobody here yet. It looks pretty dry but the windsock is horizontal.
Sunny too.

Burning Head
2010-09-05, 04:20 PM
:angry:Damn weather for monday too. :oCan we report the FF for the next week end or at 10:00 am, it's time to jump with a parachute or a umbrella:D

Burning Head
2010-09-05, 06:06 PM
Well, I will need some lead in my pocket, if I want to stay on the ground

Mick
2010-09-05, 06:58 PM
There was three of us flying this afternoon, not too bad but let's hope it is calmer tomorrow.

Andrew Fernie
2010-09-06, 08:00 AM
ALL SET FOR MONDAY SEPTEMBER 6

Looks like it will be a nice day, so get your gear into the car and head off to the field for WIMAC's annual fun fly. Should be sunny most of the day (rain only coming in this evening). Winds will probably be getting higher in the afternoon, but that just means you should get there early and fly often!

Any Size Planes/Helis welcome.

MAAC or AMA required for pilots.
350-foot tarp and grass runway.
From 10am to dusk.
Food & drinks included.
Raffle prizes and more!!

Burning Head
2010-09-06, 04:10 PM
Thanks to all the club organisator for this great Fun fly 2010:)

beto9
2010-09-06, 04:55 PM
Wind or no wind, rain or not, a great Funfly as usual. Good food, a lot of fun and is always great to see new, recent and old friends.

I just want to single out Mike for his efforts at cooking. The keyword here is "single out" since there were a lot of volunteers. Trying to mention all of them will be an exercise in oooops and sorry of forgetting.

mitea_dan
2010-09-06, 05:19 PM
Enjoy:
http://picasaweb.google.com/DanMitea/FunFly2010

Glenn Hole
2010-09-06, 06:06 PM
Thanks to all for a great fun fly see all of you next year:)

Mick
2010-09-06, 06:49 PM
I agree Mike did an outstanding job. Thanks to all who helped make this a great fun fly, OK the weather could have been better in the afternoon but it was great early this morning.

Vadim S
2010-09-06, 07:56 PM
Hi, I would like to say thank you to all the people that organized this fun fly event this year it was very fun the food was amazing and it was nice to see so many people showed up.. I was able to get a few flights in from about 6 to 8pm it was nice even with a little drizzle.. I ll post a few pictures in a few minutes when I get home...

zorba
2010-09-06, 08:48 PM
Hi all, like always the funfly was a success.
had a great time and the food was awesome. very many thanks to the people that helped with the event and special thanks to Michael J. for looking after things.

By the end of the day the winds died down and decided to try the spider. It was AWESOME. |The few of us that were there were stunt with the perfomance of the vehicle.

We tried the on board camera with the downlink and is excellent clarity.
We had some interference from somewhere and created some noise on the video.

here's the first one...
YouTube- Spider test 1

The second one is pretty much the same interference noise.
YouTube- spider test 2

The third one we used the waypoints around the field and it worked.
YouTube- Spider flight 3

I am very pleased with the machine and I hope it can make me some money.

I had Mario do the testing cause I was too chicken. He was amazed with the performance of the machine. Thanks Mario as always.

Enjoy

Elgreco
2010-09-06, 09:38 PM
I must say that the cool factor of the oktocopter is way up there and the performance is awesome.

Very stable on take offs, flight and landing. If you get in trouble, you let go of the cyclic and it almost stabilizes itself.

Now to the cool factors!

With the switch of a button, GPS comes on and this thing holds it's place in the air. You can control height and yaw so you can videotape but don't have to worry about flying it.

With a second flip of a button, this thing comes back to where you started your flight by itself !!!!!!
I mean HOW COOL IS THAT !

I flew it away, hit the home button, let go of the sticks and this thing came right in front of me..!!!

If you look through the 2nd video completely, you will see me letting go of the TX and this thing is flying by itself. At a point I even give it at Vadim and this thing is videotaping us by staying put in the air.

Last video, Billy programed waypoints on the GPS, using google maps and once activated, it made a run through them which happened to be the along the runway.I only controlled yaw so I can turn the camera on us.

What can I say. There are so many possibilities for something like this and it is way cool to fly it.

Thank you Billy for the opportunity.

beto9
2010-09-06, 09:50 PM
Awesome! The Octopussy is fantastic. Bill, you have to publish a price list for finding lost planes....

Andrew Fernie
2010-09-06, 09:55 PM
So,will it be out there Tuesday looking for Tarek's helicopter?

Where can I get more information on this thing?

zorba
2010-09-06, 09:56 PM
Thanks Mario and Albert. I think I would leave it up to the members for donations LOl

I just ordered the Patch Antenna 8DBI for extending the downlink range.
We'll test it once again.

I just feel bad about Tarek and not been able to help him find his Heli.

Cheers

Andrew Fernie
2010-09-06, 10:10 PM
We had to move the Fun Fly to Monday to respond to the poor weather on Saturday and Sunday, but it didn't seem to hurt the attendance and I saw alot of smiles. Not sure how many pilots and guests we had, but the parking lot was full, 12 dozen corn cobs and hot dogs disappeared, and the pits were filled with at least 38 planes and 36 helis.

I echo the thoughts above about the thanks due to Michael, Greg and the rest that were on cooking duty. That was the best corn I have had for a long time (apparently the secret is 14 minutes after it comes back to the boil). In addition, thanks to Tarek and Albert for picking up the food and drinks, Mick for looking after the parking lot, Ronald for selling raffle tickets, and all the members and guests for participating.

Thanks also to the local hobby stores for supporting us with contributions to the raffle prizes. Please remember them when you are shopping around for hobby supplies.
1. Serge and Julie at Distribution aux Modelistes in Laval
2. Nick at N.D.Heli in Mascouche
3. Peter at Ted's Hobby Shop in Pointe-Claire

It was nice to see our MAAC zone director, Steve Woloz, and assistant zone director, Paul Burrage at the field, and also great have a number of former members who have been distracted by parenting demands visit us for the day. I hope we see all of you back again.

Start your sun dances now for Labour Day weekend 2011.

Andrew

Tarek Hassoune
2010-09-06, 11:02 PM
I would like to thank everybody that came out to hlep looking for my heli.
I will go back tomorrow after work to look for it

Dwight Macdonald
2010-09-07, 12:25 AM
Another great funfly! Thanks to all who contributed and participated ... What a great turnout! And cheers to the weatherman for the nice break for us to fit into!

AlixB
2010-09-07, 09:21 AM
As always,

I was happy to see some familiar faces.

nitrouspete
2010-09-07, 09:45 AM
Hi,
Just would like to say Thank You to all WIMAC members(family), from my family (wife & daughters) and myself for a wonderful day at WIMAC.

pierre sarault
2010-09-09, 10:59 AM
Hi as a returning member I'd like to thank you all for a wonderful day...well organized, and as Andrew mentions...the best corn among other things.

I saw some really great people, great planes and yes a bit too windy for me...but that's Mother Nature.

Pierre;);)

Dwight Macdonald
2010-09-09, 08:30 PM
Pierre, it was nice to see you and many other former members!

Andrew Fernie
2010-09-16, 09:45 PM
I just started to go through my photos from the fun fly. This one caught my attention. Good work Mario!

More to come.

Elgreco
2010-09-16, 10:17 PM
Damn :eek::eek::eek::eek:
That's low. I doesn't look like it when I do it but what a difference a camerea makes.

Thanks for the Pic..;)

Andrew Fernie
2010-09-17, 02:35 PM
My photos from the fun-fly can be found here http://picasaweb.google.com/AndrewJFernie/WIMACFunFly2010# (http://picasaweb.google.com/AndrewJFernie/WIMACFunFly2010)#

Andrew

Burning Head
2010-09-17, 04:29 PM
Thanks Andrew, great pic:cool:

Kevin Rochon
2010-09-17, 08:26 PM
very nice pictures Andrew specially Mario's 550.

Kevin

Mick
2010-09-18, 08:35 AM
I assumed Mario was the guy that comes to cut the grass????????

Kevin Rochon
2010-09-18, 09:33 AM
Yes,

specially photo #47

kev