PDA

View Full Version : Harvard rebirth

Pages : [1] 2

Kevin Rochon
2010-11-22, 07:52 PM
Hey I hope it will be done for next summer but I made a replacement former (F1) on sunday.

Little by little I will climb the mountain.

Kevin
Photos to follow.

bob forest
2010-11-22, 09:21 PM
Good for you Kevin, that is the way to do it. put it aside for awhile then look at it, and think how it is going to be done. Glad you decided to fix it. It will be worth the work.

Kevin Rochon
2010-11-22, 09:43 PM
thanks Bob,

I guess what gave me the push is last week on Daily Planet(Discovery Channel) it was Flying things week, and they showed two Canadians with racing Harvards, they were from BC.

Kevin

beto9
2010-11-23, 10:33 AM
I am glad you started the repair... It is a beautiful plane... I will be there with my camera for the rebirth... or you think I am the jinx?

CG measuring... crucial!

PaulG-rc
2010-11-23, 11:06 AM
Here you go

http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/#clip377795

drgilo1973
2010-11-23, 12:03 PM
go kevin go

Kevin Rochon
2010-12-05, 01:00 PM
here are some pictures of the progress, of course there had to be some demolition before the reconstruction. There is on the Harvard a second layer on the front part of the plane that had to be removed to be able to fix the damage. I hadn't smelled CA in a while. Today I'll be doing the parts that are missing on F2 both sides(see first two pictures inside). You can also see on the next former the missing bottom part that's the part on the last picture.

kevin

bob forest
2010-12-05, 04:37 PM
Doing a great job. Also my Gee Bee is coming along. Bought some monokote today at Ted's for it. Will have it ready for the spring.

Burning Head
2010-12-05, 06:38 PM
Did you have a balsa laser cutter Kevin:confused:

Kevin Rochon
2010-12-05, 09:37 PM
No Richard it's just a band saw and scroll saw.

Here some more progress, first pic is the 2 parts that are going to go on each side that is missing you can see it in the other pic and in the back bottom you can see F3 installed. I also replaced all the broken stringers.

Kevin

Kevin Rochon
2010-12-20, 09:12 PM
Here is an update, I put up the parts of F2 left and right. now I will have to put F1 that's going to be a bit more of adjustment to do.

Kevin

Sempai-mj
2010-12-20, 09:23 PM
Way to go Kevin!

Dwight Macdonald
2010-12-20, 09:47 PM
Keep up the good work Kevin!

bob forest
2010-12-20, 11:50 PM
See, Kevin, nothing to it. Nice piece of work.

David Janashvili
2010-12-21, 09:53 AM
Hi Kevin,
next year we'll fly our beasts together!

Kevin Rochon
2010-12-21, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Hey David did you start to setup that Canadair?

Kevin

Kevin Rochon
2010-12-31, 04:22 PM
Well some more work done this week. No I have to sand it even on the edges then fibreglass F1 to the fuse then install the firewall on top of F1. The firewall is slightly bigger that F1 because there is that extra sheeting in the front part of the harvard.

Went to Ted's today to redeem my Gift Certificate, picked up some glue (humm $$??) I have to start building my Click 2.

Is Serge and me the only one building this winter?

David Janashvili
2010-12-31, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Hey David did you start to setup that Canadair?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Yes I do, Install all the Fuselage servos, Hitec HS-5755MG Digital Giant Scale Servo. I would lik to Order 106CC ZDZ engines or 110CC DA. looking for a good deal.

I think for Jun/Jul will be ready to fly

David

Kevin Rochon
2010-12-31, 09:47 PM
Hey David,

check the latest MAAC mag there is a guy in Montreal www.amr-rc.com , that sells ZDZ .

How about some more pictures of the Cl-215?

Mick
2011-01-01, 10:14 AM
Kevin, I am building my Click2, hopefully it will be finished in the next few days. Great job on the Harvard rebuild.

Dwight Macdonald
2011-01-01, 05:13 PM
Will you fly it first from land or water David?

David Janashvili
2011-01-02, 02:14 AM
Will you fly it first from land or water David?

I will fly from Land only.

Kevin Rochon
2011-02-22, 10:30 PM
Here is some of the progress. Still have to work on the muffler and install the engine, left wing panel a few holes to fill behind the flap. As you can see it's not pretty but will be functional. Cracks are glued with epoxy sheeting on the front with Zpoxy. After it flies ok will repaint.

Sempai-mj
2011-02-23, 07:06 AM
Nice going!

Kevin Rochon
2011-03-20, 03:51 PM
Ok some more work done wing is ok one bad joint will have to fill that up, maybe just tape at first. WEll got to go it's my nieces birthday party actually it was on the 17th she's Irish by birth not blood:D

Kevin Rochon
2011-08-01, 07:11 PM
It's so quiet on the forum I figured I'd update on the Harvard.

Well brought it to the field on Sunday to do 2 things.

1- start the engine and see now that I cut off the elbow I had put on the muffler to make it go out the scale location if I get better RPM.

Well I was getting 5200 RPM and now a steady 6300RPM.

2- Check the CG. If I remember it was a bit tail heavy.

Now it's really nose heavy, I did put the battery up front but I guess the repair added some weight there. I didn't even put the Cowling still needs to be fixed.

Hopefully will fly soon.

Sempai-mj
2011-08-01, 07:30 PM
Kevin please post the day or two before you fly it.
I'm sure we all would like to see it fly!

Kevin Rochon
2011-08-06, 09:51 AM
Well I will bring the Harvard today hopefully it will fly.

mdauth
2011-08-06, 10:06 AM
Around what time, I would like to see it fly.

beto9
2011-08-06, 10:23 AM
Bringing my INSURED camera....

briankizner
2011-08-06, 10:39 AM
Good luck, Kevin. The dark cloud that seems to have been hanging over you for the last few months has got to leave soon.

bob forest
2011-08-06, 02:48 PM
Yes, Kevin, Good Luck to you on your first comeback flight. Hope some pictures are posted of the successfull flight.

Burning Head
2011-08-06, 03:36 PM
A lot of "local media" was there for this maiden. I was there for the control list and for a bit of the taxi on the run way. Look and sound very good:cool:. The crowd was near of a riot stage just by earing the motor:D

beto9
2011-08-06, 05:36 PM
It flew!

I will let Kevin give you guys a second by second account of the second first flight! A lot of exciting moments happened.
Give Kevin time to make today's laundry wash and he will write about it.
Photos posted soon!
Ta ta!

beto9
2011-08-07, 03:16 PM
Yesterday's photos are here...
We are waiting for Kevin's tale!

https://picasaweb.google.com/115702179489580219589/WIMACAugust62011?authkey=Gv1sRgCI-Dnu2RrsGabQ

Burning Head
2011-08-07, 03:55 PM
Cool pic Albert:) Great job Kevin. You have a dream... " free at last " :D

briankizner
2011-08-07, 05:06 PM
Nice photos, Alberto. Looks like it was a great day there. Glad to see that beautiful Harvard get back to the ground in one piece.
One of the interesting things about flying from a full-scale airstrip is the occasional visitor. This fellow stopped by today to refuel his chopper. The machine is a Eurocopter turbine. He tells me to expect a lot more heli stops in this area for the next few years as they ferry supplies between here and Goose Bay for Newfoundland's big new Muskrat Falls hydro project- the undersea powerlines to Newfoundland island will be built very near this airport.

Kevin Rochon
2011-08-07, 08:03 PM
Thanks Albert for the pictures. I did post yesterday I guess it dissapered:confused:

Well here we go again.

First I want to thanks David for his help and coaching during the flight(also taught me how to start the beast without loosing my arm). I want to thanks all present for their moral support and high fives afterward!

Wait am I getting an award:D

First did some test taxing but the tail wheel was all over(forgot to fix that) so I put half a close pin tyewrap to the plastic push-rod to strengthen it. Di test the CG with Jim it is a bit nose heavy but that's better than tail-heavy for a war bird.

So finally after gassing up it was now or never. Set the Elev. trim to down remembering how it jumped up last year. So put a little flap and stoud behind for take off(good suggestions from David). Throttle up she start going straight then all of a sudden she jumps up but this time I have around 6400RPM compared(with scale muffler) 5300RPM, so she has enough power to go up but I push down to keep it more level.

So I had to trim almost full down and some right aileron so after some circuit she chugs along but no Rich fun jet here but scale flight. Because of the full crosswind I had to make several approaches on one I heard the engine sputtering so I went up a bit and made the last circuit on the way back deadstick, first flight 25LB war bird:eek::eek::eek::eek:

By pushing down to gain speed then leveling etc (staircase approaches) she made it just barely to the beginning of the runway. She did hit hard, the retracts have a suspension but upon inspection at home one got a bit bent it still work but the suspension doesn't go up and down I'll try to straighten it.

Well will fix all those little things and then fly it again and will refinish it during the winter.

Hey Brian you got your own fuel pump that's a good reason for going to gassers I guess;-)

David Janashvili
2011-08-08, 09:12 AM
Perfect flight Kevin! Especially the deadstick landing! On this type of a short-nosed plane, it's easy to lose control and crash the plane, but you kept your cool and brought the plane down safely! Good Job! Now you have to complete the plane and bring it to the next beautiful flight but only after you change the gas tank! :D

David

beto9
2011-08-08, 09:24 AM
Anybody wants the full resolution picture tell me the number...

Kevin Rochon
2011-08-08, 07:46 PM
Well of course if you could email me all mine I would appreciate it Albert.

beto9
2011-08-09, 09:34 AM
Well of course if you could email me all mine I would appreciate it Albert.

I'll burn a CD.

Kevin Rochon
2011-08-09, 07:56 PM
BTW Albert, next time you take a picture of me from behind me let me know so I can put back my hat:embarrassed:

Thanks Albert

beto9
2011-08-10, 08:16 AM
BTW Albert, next time you take a picture of me from behind me let me know so I can put back my hat:embarrassed:

Thanks Albert

Yeah, the reflection was blinding!

zorba
2011-08-10, 06:13 PM
That's why we all wear hats:p

Kevin Rochon
2013-04-03, 08:49 PM
Did a bit of work on the Harvard. Put some more filler and sanding also installed the air intake. I ordered from Ziroli a new Cowl and canopy and a Tru-Trun AT6 spinner and they had Menz prop so I ordered a 24x8 for my Da50.

Still need to ear from Robart to order a replacement Oleo Ram, it bent a little on the dead stick landing I straighten it but it bind a little.

My repaired Bisson muffler is at the post office, I asked Lance again if he can make me a custom muffler for the harvard sent him some ideals we'll see:confused:

Sempai-mj
2013-04-03, 09:11 PM
Good going Kevin, this time I want to e at field when you fly it!

pierre sarault
2013-04-04, 08:20 AM
Well this has been quite a rebuild project...basically a "new" kit...I am impressed...and you seem to have / used all the right tools...congratulations!

Better to have flown and repaired than not having flown at all...this plane was surely NOT a hangar queen!

beto9
2013-04-04, 10:33 AM
Kevin, I don't know if to be there with my camera or not be there at all. Your call!

Kevin Rochon
2013-04-04, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys for the encouragement.

BTW just picked-up the Da50 muffler today. Lance did a great repair job. I doubt that it's going to break anytime soon so now I have a spare muffler does anyone need a DA50 muffler I might sell my older one?

Kevin Rochon
2013-04-23, 09:21 PM
Finally got my parts from Ziroli, now just need time to continue fixing her. I'm going to have a lot of masking to do on the Canopy, you can see the old one in the background. BTW also got a replacement prop Menz 24x8 for the Extra and as you can see with all the wood working I'm up to it need a cleaning, my Slick is about the same.:(

pierre sarault
2013-04-29, 06:37 PM
Hi Kevin,

Looks like it will be new again!

Congratulations!

Pierre

Kevin Rochon
2013-04-29, 07:38 PM
Merci Pierre, beaucoup d'ouvrage en vue.

Kevin Rochon
2013-05-26, 10:30 PM
Thought I'd continue on this tread, Albert likes my long threads:D.

First context. When I painted the Harvard I use a latex based primer(water based paints are gasoline proof). For final coat I used some Rustoleum(water based) glossy paints, trying to save a step. But when I was masking the plane for the details when I removed the tape it would pull out the paint so the Rustoleum wasn't compatible with the primer.

I wasn't sure if I was going to remove all the paint or just the front? But now is my chance(if you can call it that). Did some test yesterday to try easy ways to remove the paint off the plane but I have to bite the bullet no shortcut sanding is the only solution. Fortunately I have a profile sander and an orbital one, saves my arm;)

Here's where I'm at. Started with the most difficult part the fuselage. I did half so far. I hope to finish sanding this week; after it's putty then epoxy finishing resin.......

beto9
2013-05-27, 09:25 AM
A work of love.... not too many hobbyists left like you... Let the Chinese do it!

Kevin Rochon
2013-05-27, 07:43 PM
Thanks Albert, attacking the right side tonight.

pierre sarault
2013-05-27, 10:11 PM
Kevin, my hat off to you!

Some courage!

Too bad about the chemical reaction between the primer and the paint... It has happened to me on occasion; for next time a suggestion = do a test application on a sample / a large piece of material like that of your "subject"" or "target". Let it dry overnight at >60 deg F (room temperature) and rub the surface with finger...paint should not flake or peel. Try another coat and so on.

Some car paints are also relatively primer friendly providing you use primer from same vendor as paint...tests are always better on sample materials...saves on "elbow grease".

Your Harvard will look fabulous with all that TLC.

Kevin Rochon
2013-05-27, 10:40 PM
Thanks Pierre still a lot of sanding to do so will have time to find the proper paint and primer and clear coat.

Will replace the lights for some LED. I see this already made system here http://www.rclightmaster.com/index.html but they are very expensive. I will build my own, it's pretty simple (Lipo resistor and LED Micro switch activated buy a small servo) anybody have a source for Ultra brights, so far I found this site.

http://www.ledssuperbright.com/

Kevin Rochon
2013-05-29, 10:42 PM
Well finished sanding the right side tonight. Now the wings.....

Kevin Rochon
2013-06-09, 09:47 PM
Some progress; one wing completely sanded(the one that got damaged) and the center part. Left to do one wing and flaps and covers. You will notice I'm not sanding the innards, I will just scuff them up a bit later on.

pierre sarault
2013-06-11, 06:51 PM
Kevin = that is some really good work...if you don't know that plane "inside-out" by now...!

Congratulations...can't wait to see it repainted and flying!

Cheers

Pierre

Kevin Rochon
2013-06-11, 08:21 PM
Thanks Pierre; well hopefully this summer or whatever passes for a summer this years:D

Eladio
2013-06-12, 02:08 PM
Hey Kevin how about taking on this project ? :)

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/11/gallery-german-dornier-do-17-bomber-raised-from-english-channel-3836583/

Just making your post last longer !!! :)

Kevin Rochon
2013-06-12, 08:46 PM
Ya I saw that; but I think the German plane lover is Pierre he should take it on.

At least mine has all the pieces:D

Kevin Rochon
2013-06-18, 10:26 PM
Ok some more work done. Did the flaps and doors and the bottom of the RH wing. Hey just the top left! Almost done.....ya right;)

Kevin Rochon
2013-06-19, 10:36 PM
Top done onward and upward we go;)

beto9
2013-06-19, 10:41 PM
Kevin, this is a death by the thousand cuts... finish it already!!!!

mdauth
2013-06-20, 10:05 AM
I thought this hobby was build in the winter and fly in the summer??? I guess to much time fixing these indoor planes!!!!

Burning Head
2013-06-20, 12:32 PM
I thought this hobby was build in the winter and fly in the summer??? I guess to much time fixing these indoor planes!!!!

:Dgood one:D

Kevin Rochon
2013-06-20, 08:56 PM
Kevin, this is a death by the thousand cuts... finish it already!!!!

What do you think I'm doing, but you know a scratch built airplane is no ARF hey.

Kevin Rochon
2013-06-20, 08:57 PM

You have to go with the weather no? So tomorrow fly and Saturday build(rain forecast)

beto9
2013-06-20, 11:48 PM
What do you think I'm doing, but you know a scratch built airplane is no ARF hey.

ARF means Almost ready to fly, not Always ready to FIX!

zorba
2013-06-21, 06:52 AM
ARF means Almost ready to fly, not Always ready to FIX!

hehehehehehe good one..

mdauth
2013-07-17, 02:16 PM
Your spinner is ready I'll bring it next time.

Kevin Rochon
2013-07-17, 08:47 PM
WOW that's amazing Michel can't wait to see myself in it:cool:

Now I just need to finish fixing my Extra(almost done) and hen get back to work on the Harvard.

But now I got on the back of my mind the 3D HS Big Foot Black:eek:

mdauth
2013-07-17, 09:51 PM
WOW that's amazing Michel can't wait to see myself in it:cool:

Now I just need to finish fixing my Extra(almost done) and hen get back to work on the Harvard.

Check out Joe flying it!!!

Joe Smith flying a 3DHS bigfoot at Nall - YouTube

Started repairing my Edge, starting with the fuselage and ....

Kevin Rochon
2013-07-17, 10:42 PM
Yes I've seen all his video flying it, see it on water.

Joe Smith Flying the 3DHS BigFoot River Adventures - YouTube

Good luck with your Edge a lot more work than mine, those trees are mercy less, it's their revenge for killing their kinship to make rc plane;)

You should start a thread.

mdauth
2013-09-01, 07:50 AM

3Dhs has a Canadian distributor now, you just need to place the order and they ship to your door!!!:D:D:D

http://www.pro-rc.ca/

Kevin Rochon
2013-09-01, 08:25 AM
Yes I saw that but they are more expensive but anyway the T-Rex won for now, unless I find a buyer for the Extra;)

Oops just went to see they lowered their pricing since last time I saw....drat now it's back in my mind...your fault!

Kevin Rochon
2013-11-26, 11:22 PM
Since my Trex 550 is ready for flight(but not the weather) I did some work last night on the Harvard. Work on the rudder putting new routing for the lights and refinishing the surface with balsa and some Spackle, and did the wings also. It's not nice yet needs to be all sanded properly.

Kevin Rochon
2013-12-04, 10:47 PM
Well since I didn't get my 550 parts I did some more sanding. Wings and Rudder done just a little bit left on the fuse, after that will start putting on the fiberglass with the new EZE Kote finishing resin, it's water base.

Kevin Rochon
2014-01-26, 03:31 PM
Started re-fiberglassing. It's easier with the EZE Kote since it's water based, dries much faster then Epoxy resin.

Kevin Rochon
2014-02-08, 01:50 PM
I know you're expecting the Big Foot thread but got to finish glassing the Harvard first. I will only be able to paint in the spring when it finally gets warm:rolleyes: unless I do it at work, we have a big paint booth. Last night I build my glassing/painting stands.

Here I did the first coat of EZE Kote, when dry, soon, I will sand with 400 grit. Then it's fiberglass time then another light sanding then the final coat and a final very light sanding.

Kevin Rochon
2014-02-08, 08:35 PM
Did the glassing of the bottoms. Now to sand the edges and glass the top.

Sempai-mj
2014-02-08, 09:12 PM
When you say glass the top is just the resin ? Or actual fibreglass cloth?

Kevin Rochon
2014-02-08, 11:18 PM
Yes fiberglass(look closely at the pictures you can see the overhang). Now just finished the top. Tomorrow will sand the edges then the whole thing lightly then the last coat of EZE Kote then the last sanding and hopefully will reset the workshop for the Big Foot( Like I said earlier paint is for spring time).

Tarek Hassoune
2014-02-09, 04:33 AM
How do u do it Kevin u spread the epoxy with a brush then u put the fibreglass?
What do u do to have no wrinkles any special technique?

Andrew Fernie
2014-02-09, 11:21 AM
One of the classic techniques is to use playing cards like squeegees to smooth out the cloth and remove as much of the resin as possible. The cards are just stiff enough to do the job, have nice smooth edges, and because you have a lot in the pack you can keep pulling out fresh ones and throw out the used ones.

Kevin Rochon
2014-02-09, 11:22 AM
Tarek you put the cloth first then you use a paint brush starting from the center of one edge then got out. If you get a wrinkle you just force it out with the brush.

When I did the original fiber-glassing I use Epoxy finishing resin then you can't use a brush you use a squeegee(playing cards does fine). But it a much longer process, the EZE kote dries very fast 20-30mins.

Sempai-mj
2014-02-09, 05:58 PM
Does it add much weight, or is it so thin it's nominal ?

Kevin Rochon
2014-02-09, 08:51 PM
The cloth is .75oz per sq yard and most of the EZE Kote evaporates since it's water base. In my case I still have some of the old fiberglass still on, but all in all a little more than Monokote I guess.

Today I sanded everything then put on the fake hatches then the last coat of EZE then sanded again. Now just have some details to add the the tail, some seems on the fin and the empenage joint.

Sempai-mj
2014-02-09, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info!

Tarek Hassoune
2014-02-10, 04:46 AM
Thanks Kevin is the water base epoxy as good as the oil base

Kevin Rochon
2014-02-10, 08:28 PM
Well it's my first experience but so far so good and it's much faster to do, you don't have to wait overnight to sand as the Epoxy Resin which dries in 20 min. but cure in 24 hours.

I would recommend it.

Tarek Hassoune
2014-02-10, 09:14 PM
Thanks Kevin

Kevin Rochon
2014-04-29, 11:00 PM
Well finally restarted work on the Harvard. I did the exterior masking of the canopy. I still have to tape the inside and then underneath. It's a tedious job:rolleyes:

flybyfaith
2014-04-30, 01:33 PM
Kevin why are you masking 0n the outside? will you not be painting on the inside?.

Kevin Rochon
2014-04-30, 08:40 PM
The outside is painted white and the inside grey. Also this way the frame will match the fuse paint.

Kevin Rochon
2014-05-14, 09:36 PM
Ok finally finished taping the canopy inside and out. Now just need to "sand" the frames and perimeters with 0000 steel wool so the paint will have some bite.

Kevin Rochon
2014-06-25, 08:44 PM
Like I was saying I just got the primer today and it is from Rustoleum the same brand as my paint. So it should stick this time, I will do a test run off course.

I've decided to stay with the same kind of paint because the only option for glossing look and gas proof is car paint or epoxy, both very heavy and smelly and a mess to clean up the aribrush.

Kevin Rochon
2014-07-06, 11:43 AM
So my test run worked. I painted a flap servo hatch just by paint brush with the primer waited 24hrs then by brush again did the top coat, not pretty but just to test. then waited again 24hrs.

So I put 2 types of tapes the good one the blue type for masking and he 3M very sticky one just to test. Of course he blue one came out perfectly but to my surprise even the 3M sticky one, no paint came off.

So now just have to paint it;)

It's a bit too hot and windy to do that now. I do it in my garage with the door partially opened, I have another week off in september.

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-06, 09:38 PM
So finally repainting. Won't be as nice as the first time, repairs & sanding so it's not as smooth. It takes so much time to set-up compared to the actual painting:rolleyes:.

This is the first coat of primer. Next fixing whatever I find wrong, like pin holes etc, the paint brings it out. After putting on the panel line tape and the second coat then sanding and then the final coats. Not sure if I'll go with the same colors(Snowbird).

David Janashvili
2014-12-07, 09:15 AM
So finally repainting. Won't be as nice as the first time, repairs & sanding so it's not as smooth. It takes so much time to set-up compared to the actual painting:rolleyes:.

This is the first coat of primer. Next fixing whatever I find wrong, like pin holes etc, the paint brings it out. After putting on the panel line tape and the second coat then sanding and then the final coats. Not sure if I'll go with the same colors(Snowbird).

Kevin it's looks Perfect

dhamultun
2014-12-07, 09:39 AM
Very nice setup Kevin! Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-07, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys, lots of work still to do.

Survey:

should I go for the same scheme as before (Snowbird) or go for a simpler yellow traditional scheme:confused:

Flying73
2014-12-07, 03:13 PM
Snowbird all the way!!

David Janashvili
2014-12-07, 03:40 PM
Snowbird all the way!!

I agree with Tino!!! Snowbird all the way

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-07, 07:23 PM
When Jimmy will post I know he's going to say yellow;)

I guess I will have to work hard at it making those templates.

Today I sanded the whole thing, will have to put some putty in a few spots. It's looking a bit better than I thought.

Ricardo
2014-12-07, 08:26 PM
Snowbird for sure!

dhamultun
2014-12-08, 07:36 AM
Definitely Snowbird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimmyG
2014-12-08, 08:57 AM
Well you know my preference “YELLOW” :D But it’s going to look great with either color scheme

fbrunet1957
2014-12-10, 06:02 PM
Ya ya snown bird.

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-14, 08:16 PM
So did 2 coats of primer this WE. Did the panel lines today with some Chart tape, I'm using a plastic model as a guide line(;)) and did the 2nd coat. I will probably have to do another coat so the lines show well.

As you can see it looks like a well worn plane(because of the sanding).

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-15, 09:08 PM
Got some more primer tonight and did another coat, hopefully this will be ok to show the lines.

For the finish I will have to use the same kind of paint as the first time because you cannot get flat ext. latex in red(apple candy) and even the blue is iffy. So will use the Rustoleum because it comes already the proper colors and will put a car wax on top to make even shinier.

Ricardo
2014-12-15, 09:59 PM
Very impressive Kevin! How do you do the panel lines?

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-16, 08:17 PM
Thanks Ricardo!

If you look closely on my wing you can see the 2 rolls of tapes, one is 1/32" and the other 1/16". You just stick it where you want then you paint a few coats of paint at the primer stage. Then you sand lightly just so the tape is easy to remove without damaging the paint. Then you'll have an indent that will show up even after the final finish is applied.

It is a nice facsimile that is less expensive and a lot less work than putting on some Flite metal finish.

Ricardo
2014-12-17, 09:05 PM
Got it! I will try it someday!

Sempai-mj
2014-12-17, 09:19 PM
Cool process, thanks for the advice. :)

zorba
2014-12-18, 05:26 AM
Cool process, thanks for the advice. :)

You got to be kidding Michael. This is a old technique used mostly on fiberglass models and molds.

And it works. My UH-1 was done this way.

Sempai-mj
2014-12-18, 05:46 PM
You got to be kidding Michael. This is a old technique used mostly on fiberglass models and molds.

And it works. My UH-1 was done this way.

Hey Billy, no kidding I'm not a builder, any process I see is cool.:)

RichR
2014-12-23, 12:52 AM
I was reading through this thread and I saw that EZE Kote was used instead of an epoxy resin. Although Eze kote is a nice, easy to apply and sand product which can deliver a nice surface finish, it is by no means a substitute for structural epoxy. I can see it being used to add durability and rigity to a surface skin but all structural components subjected to loads should be built with a epoxy resin.

Eze kote is similar to Minwax without the unfavorable odor. On a team build I participated in last year, we went through 3 bottles of Eze Kote used with 0.5 oz cloth layered and sanded with 3M 320 grit, the finish was immaculate!

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-23, 09:15 PM
Well mine is not going to be immaculate but good enough at 3 feet distance;)

Sempai-mj
2014-12-23, 09:17 PM
Last time I saw your plane it was really great, nice detailing.:)

RichR
2014-12-23, 10:24 PM
Well mine is not going to be immaculate but good enough at 3 feet distance;)

You're too modest, I saw your original Harvard on the day of it's maiden, it was a beauty. Keep up the good work, your build threads add substance to this forum.

Sempai-mj
2014-12-23, 10:29 PM
You're too modest, I saw your original Harvard on the day of it's maiden, it was a beauty. Keep up the good work, your build threads add substance to this forum.

That is correct, your builds enspire others, it's not about buying and selling, it's about building and flying! :)

fbrunet1957
2014-12-24, 09:51 AM
That's rigth Keven.

Your experience, skills and patience is a an insparation.
Allways looking forward to read your posts.

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-24, 03:01 PM
Thank you all. I hope I'll others works also...come on Billy we all want to see that Stearman and Mustang and Micheal what about that Beaver and Jimmy did you fix your Husky? etc....

Well I'll be posting the progress I'm on vacation till the 5th so I should be able to finish the painting and redo the cockpit etc...

JimmyG
2014-12-24, 03:25 PM
The Husky is fixed but I'm not taking it out till you paint the Harvard yellow :D:D:D

zorba
2014-12-24, 06:09 PM
The Stearman will be ready for 2015. As for the P-51 you all be able to see it at the club as a static display only.
It looks like I just lost my maiden pilot:confused:
And Jimmy get that P-51 out from the closet and get on it.

zorba
2014-12-24, 06:14 PM
This is the last photo of 2014.

JimmyG
2014-12-24, 06:19 PM
And Jimmy get that P-51 out from the closet and get on it.

I'll be finishing the P-51 in the next weeks over the holidays to make room. I'll then start on the P-47 .. that's the one I'll be flying in the spring.

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-27, 09:05 PM
Been relaxing the past few days after the parties. Looks like it was a nice day to fly but anyways started to tape up the wings for the red bottom color. Of course because the plane is not the same shape as the Tutor I have to adapt the design a bit.

Sempai-mj
2014-12-27, 09:13 PM
Really nice detailing, wish I had you patience. :)

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-28, 12:47 AM
Well just have to do a little bit at a time, but it helps if you like building;)

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-30, 08:35 PM
Finally finish masking(almost, back to that later) Did the first coat of Red. The set-up is the killer, painting is the "easy"part as long as your paint has got the right amount of thinner, in this case windshield washer fluid. So will do the second coat tonight (2 to 4 hours between).

But now I realize I forgot to mask for the 2 lozenges on the bottom of the back fuse. I'll do that before the second coat. (see last pict)

Sempai-mj
2014-12-30, 08:46 PM
Nice work, especially the last pic!

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-30, 11:05 PM
Nice work, especially the last pic!

Thanks, it's not easy to paint it in flight:D

Did my lozenges mask and the 2nd coat, we'll see if it needs a 3rd.

MidnightHeli
2014-12-31, 12:41 AM
Wow, real nice, you need to do a video with the actual techniques, would love to have one.

drgilo1973
2014-12-31, 08:45 AM
just perfect

bob forest
2014-12-31, 03:33 PM
What's with the news paper, can't you afford monokote. Nice work.

Kevin Rochon
2014-12-31, 06:31 PM
I want to remind myself of the specials Bob;)

Did a 3rd coat today, it is very hard to get it very shiny. I would have to put on too much paint at a time and it could cause some run. Anyway I will put on some car wax after the paint has cured, at least several weeks.

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-02, 04:12 PM
Well after I reread the instructions of my gravity feed gun it mentions that it's for HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) so no matter how I tried to adjust it was very difficult to get the paint to come out even. So I did some test with my old touch up gun and finally did a 4th coat but this time it came out much better. It is much more evenly distributed. I don't have pics of before but you could see glossy run then dry ones(low gloss) in between it looked like a stripped red shirt.

Airbrush painting is not that easy when you only do it once every few years:rolleyes:

Tomorrow I will remove the masking and do the reverse to do the top in white.

JimmyG
2015-01-02, 04:32 PM
Well I think you still have a problem .. it red not yellow:D:D

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-02, 07:40 PM
Just build yourself one Jim and I'll paint it yellow for you:D

fbrunet1957
2015-01-03, 11:43 AM
Well I think you still have a problem .. it red not yellow:D:D

We all agreed on red.

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-03, 08:07 PM
Removed the masking. The red is still fragile so got to be careful. Their was a bit of blow by but an easy fix just tedious. Also the newspaper bleed some ink on the white primer so had to clean it off. I will wait till tomorrow to start masking for the white.

Sempai-mj
2015-01-03, 08:19 PM
Red is nice

zorba
2015-01-04, 12:10 AM
Why don't you use kraft paper instead of newspaper?

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-04, 12:26 PM
Actually I have some so I will use it from now on, never had that problem before though:confused:

zorba
2015-01-04, 01:26 PM
Were you using the same primer as before?
Maybe some kind of chemical reaction.

bob forest
2015-01-04, 04:04 PM
Kevin, if you would of used Hallo Police you would not have had that problem.

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-04, 07:52 PM
Were you using the same primer as before?
Maybe some kind of chemical reaction.

No it's a better primer the paint really sticks to it( I had a problem the 1st time when removing the tape it would pull out the paint in parts)

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-04, 07:53 PM
Kevin, if you would of used Hallo Police you would not have had that problem.

What is that Bob?

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-04, 07:55 PM
Today I cleaned up all the lines and removed the red from the 2 lozenges(they're really squares) of the bottom. Then I went shoveling:rolleyes:

Sempai-mj
2015-01-04, 08:10 PM
Power out here since 16:15

zorba
2015-01-04, 08:40 PM
Today I cleaned up all the lines and removed the red from the 2 lozenges(they're really squares) of the bottom. Then I went shoveling:rolleyes:

Kevin, before you go too far they are not square, they are diamond shape.
Bill

zorba
2015-01-04, 08:52 PM
Kevin you do an excellent job as always, but the Harvard was part of the Snowbirds?
I've read that the only planes the 431 used were the
CT-114 Tutor: Trainer Aircraft
•Vickers Wellington
•Handley-Page Halifax
•Avro Lancaster and the
•Canadair (North American) F-86 Sabre

Just wondering that's all.
Bill

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-04, 11:11 PM
It is an imaginary plane of course. I wanted something out of the ordinary. Yes I know they are not square but for some reason I forgot about them and put them on pretty quickly, but anyways because of the shape of the airplane I've had to make several changes to the scheme to accommodate it.

zorba
2015-01-05, 12:52 AM
OK cool keep up the good work:cool:

bob forest
2015-01-05, 10:39 AM
Hallo Police is a crime newspaper very popular with the French population. It would of left more interesting reading on your plane, when at the field.

bob forest
2015-01-05, 10:42 AM
Bill, Kevin being French Canadian did the squares in honoring the English Canadians. I dink dat is pretty good.

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-05, 07:53 PM
Hallo Police is a crime newspaper very popular with the French population. It would of left more interesting reading on your plane, when at the field.

Ok now I understand, but I know you're a square Bob that's why you spelled Allo, Hallo instead:D

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-11, 11:22 PM
ok Billy hope you're happy, I changed the squares to diamonds. I will have to re-prime. But I admit it looks better.;)

zorba
2015-01-11, 11:55 PM
I don't believe it, you took my advice. awesome it looks good.

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-12, 07:57 PM
When it's good advice then I follow .... even if it come from you Billy:D

zorba
2015-01-12, 10:22 PM
Thanks Kevin, you made my day:)

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-18, 01:34 AM
Did the Masking for the white paint. I got some stickier blue tape because the first one I used I had to make sure to repress it before spraying, it's a bit better even though both are 3M. I used some reg. 3M on some curves it should be OK that paint had over a week to cure.Will paint tomorrow.

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-18, 05:45 PM
Did the 1st white coat. It's pretty good. I had a bit of problem with the last wing top(RH) it was coming out dry I tried to adjust it but I didn't want to make it worst. So hopefully it will go better on the 2nd coat.

Sempai-mj
2015-01-18, 05:58 PM
Looking good Kevin.

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-24, 09:10 PM
Today I did the 2nd coat, I'm not going to post any pictures, there is nothing more like a 1st coat of white than a 2nd coat of white:D

zorba
2015-01-24, 10:50 PM
Sure is is a brighter white;)

Kevin Rochon
2015-01-25, 07:59 PM
Sure is is a brighter white;)

It's even brighter now Billy with another coat. Found out my spray gun had a loose nut where the needle passes through. Also I put a little more windshield washer to make it thinner and it came out of the gun much better. A little splatter of water, even though I have a water trap devise, on the right wing panel. I hope it will flatten as it dries.

Next the blue stripe and the roundels(wing tops and fuse sides) and the snowbird logo.

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-01, 05:39 PM
I unmasked the plane today. There will be some touch ups to do but all in all pretty good results. Now I have to re-mask for the blue and make the template mask for the roundel and the maple leafs and the Snowbird writings. The canopy is showing the tape on the inside as I still have to paint the inside grey. The cowling will be done last so I can line up the different colors properly.

Sempai-mj
2015-02-01, 06:55 PM
Nice work, can't wait to see the finished rebuild at the field.:)

Burning Head
2015-02-02, 11:37 AM
Hats high guy's, amazing rebuild work:)

zorba
2015-02-02, 11:54 AM
Congrats Kevin, nice work for sure Can't wait to see it up close.
I'll be getting on my Stearman soon;)

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-02, 07:56 PM
Congrats Kevin, nice work for sure Can't wait to see it up close.
I'll be getting on my Stearman soon;)

Well not too close Billy, from 3 feet away you can't see the defects;)

Speaking of Stearman did you see on Airshow TV(it's on tonight at 10PM @ Discovery) the one with the wing walker lady?

zorba
2015-02-03, 05:44 AM
No Kevin I missed it, I was occupied maybe another day.

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-03, 08:03 PM
It's on also on Friday night at 10PM.

zorba
2015-02-04, 12:54 PM
Cool thanks Kev

beto9
2015-02-04, 02:03 PM
Below is the gestation period of mammals.
Anybody would care to match the (re)birth of the Harvard to an animal?
The thread was started on 2010...
About two and a half elephants... but I am hoping it will fly like a bird... not a pig!

Mammal Gestation period (days)
Alpaca 335-366[5][6]
American Bison 217
Baboon 187
Bear (black) 220 [7]
Bear (grizzly) 215
Bear (polar) 241
Beaver 122
Camel (Bactrian) 360-420
Cat (domestic) 58–67, Average 64
Chimpanzee 230–250
Chinchilla 105–115 [8]
Chipmunk 31
Cow 279–292
Deer (white-tailed) 201
Dog (domestic) 58–65, Average 61
Donkey 365
Elephant (African) 645
Elephant (Asian) 617
Elk (Wapiti) 240–250
European mink 38-76 [8]
Ferret (domestic) 41-42 [8]
Fox (red) 52
Gerbil 22-26 [8]
Giraffe 420–450
Goat (domestic) 145–155
Gorilla 255-260
Guinea pig 56-74 [8]
Hamster 16-23
Hippopotamus 225–250
Horse 330–342
Human 259-280
Kangaroo 42
Leopard 92–95
Lion 108
Llama 330
Mink 40–75
Monkey (rhesus) 164
Moose 240–250
Mouse (domestic white) 19
Mouse (meadow) 21
Muskrat 28–30
Opossum (Virginia) 12–13
Otter 60-86
Pig (domestic) 112–115
Porcupine 210
Puma 90
Rabbit (domestic) 28–35, Average 31-32 [8]
Raccoon 63
Rat 21-23 [9]
Rhinoceros (black) 450
Sea lion (California) 350
Seal 330
Sheep (domestic) 144–151
Squirrel (gray) 30–40
Tiger 105–113
Walrus 456
Whale (sperm) 480–590
Wolf 60–68
Wombat 26–28
Zebra (Grant's) 361-390

mdauth
2015-02-04, 05:18 PM
Hey Albert, if we didn't have Kevin's re-build threadsss this site would be pretty dormant at times!! :D:D

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-04, 08:53 PM
Yes I know 2010 but there has been setbacks and other projects in between, but now I will get it ready for next summer, then it's Bigfoot 2 to fix if I can get my parts?

zorba
2015-02-04, 10:19 PM
Mike is right. At least we get to see some building photos and talk about it.

Burning Head
2015-02-05, 07:55 AM
Hilarious standing Albert:) I also like to read this discussion as a unknown chapter of the 'Blue book project' :rolleyes: I'm just kidding Kevin

beto9
2015-02-05, 10:25 AM
Yes I know 2010 but there has been setbacks and other projects in between, but now I will get it ready for next summer, then it's Bigfoot 2 to fix if I can get my parts?

Soooo... we can expect another elephant thread!?

zorba
2015-02-05, 02:53 PM
Below is the gestation period of mammals.
Anybody would care to match the (re)birth of the Harvard to an animal?
The thread was started on 2010...
About two and a half elephants... but I am hoping it will fly like a bird... not a pig!

Mammal Gestation period (days)
Alpaca 335-366[5][6]
American Bison 217
Baboon 187
Bear (black) 220 [7]
Bear (grizzly) 215
Bear (polar) 241
Beaver 122
Camel (Bactrian) 360-420
Cat (domestic) 58–67, Average 64
Chimpanzee 230–250
Chinchilla 105–115 [8]
Chipmunk 31
Cow 279–292
Deer (white-tailed) 201
Dog (domestic) 58–65, Average 61
Donkey 365
Elephant (African) 645
Elephant (Asian) 617
Elk (Wapiti) 240–250
European mink 38-76 [8]
Ferret (domestic) 41-42 [8]
Fox (red) 52
Gerbil 22-26 [8]
Giraffe 420–450
Goat (domestic) 145–155
Gorilla 255-260
Guinea pig 56-74 [8]
Hamster 16-23
Hippopotamus 225–250
Horse 330–342
Human 259-280
Kangaroo 42
Leopard 92–95
Lion 108
Llama 330
Mink 40–75
Monkey (rhesus) 164
Moose 240–250
Mouse (domestic white) 19
Mouse (meadow) 21
Muskrat 28–30
Opossum (Virginia) 12–13
Otter 60-86
Pig (domestic) 112–115
Porcupine 210
Puma 90
Rabbit (domestic) 28–35, Average 31-32 [8]
Raccoon 63
Rat 21-23 [9]
Rhinoceros (black) 450
Sea lion (California) 350
Seal 330
Sheep (domestic) 144–151
Squirrel (gray) 30–40
Tiger 105–113
Walrus 456
Whale (sperm) 480–590
Wolf 60–68
Wombat 26–28
Zebra (Grant's) 361-390

That's really neat Albert but you have too much time on your hands, You need a hobby:)

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-06, 11:12 PM
Tonight I cut out the templates using Foto Frisket flim from Badger(airbrush people). I did the Rondel circles and the maple leafs and the snowbird writting ; my eyes are tired now:wacky:

This film is sticky so I can put it on the surface to mask and then paint. Last time I did it that's when I had problems because when taking it off it would pull the paint off because I had the wrong type of primer so hopefully this time it will be no problem:confused:

Tomorrow I will mask the fuse for the blue stripe along the sides.

I will still have to make the templates for the Canadian flag on the tail and the number on the rudder. From the pictures you can see some of the adaptations I have to do to because of the airframe differences. On the new version I will not droop the line so much on the cowling, and with the big spinner(polished graciously by Michel D.) it will look like the light of the jet.

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-08, 06:04 PM
Finally did the painting of the blue today. But all didn't go well; one of those days:mad:

After finally finishing masking everything, took a long time except for the wings & rudder. I went to prepared the garage so I had to pull out my van then what do you know the garage opener broke. It's a plastic track system that I fixed a few years ago but the track broke. Fortunately their was enough track left and the adjustable bar that holds the door was on the shortest length so I was able to fix it.

Did the painting, I had to try to make my blue lighter to make it closer to the color of the Canadian roundel. Last time I left the blue dark. So after mixing a bit of white I got a color I liked better. I put also more thinner and less air pressure it came out much better.

So when I was putting everything back in the other garage to bring in my Van I pulled on the fuse by the tail instead of the stand(rotisserie on wheels) and guess what the plane just came off the tube and fell to the ground. The damage is the bottom scoop the rim is in pieces which is not too bad because it came down pretty hard, and of course when I went to pick it up my shirt rubbed on the paint so it got marred, now no choice but to do a 2nd coat, of well:rolleyes:

pierre sarault
2015-02-09, 05:58 PM
Kevin,

A wonderful project!

My heart goes out to you...so close...almost finished...and bam :(!

Happened to me several times but not on a rebuild and a finish such as yours!

With this small accident, you have probably gone directly past the early life / high failure risk to mature life / low risk part of the reliability / risk curve = bravo!

Cheers Kevin!

;)

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-14, 12:08 AM
So tonight I did the 2nd coat of blue. First I sanded the marred paint with 400 grit sand paper and it came out pretty good; it won't show too much the word "CANADA" will be across it in white. I decided to add more white to the blue and make it lighter, it was still a bit too dark. Now I think it is very close to the color on the Snowbirds. Hopefully I'll be able to do the red maple leafs on Sunday. Then I'll have the cowling and the inside of the canopy left to do.

Sempai-mj
2015-02-14, 07:02 AM
Getting there, nice color.

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-15, 05:34 PM
Did all the masking for the maple leaf & fortunately I still had my template for the Canadian flag(BTW it's the 50th anniversary!). I also masked for the paint that lifted up on the wing joint; I hadn't use my heat gun at first to take off the tape. There was a bit of bleeding of the blue as you can see, but that's an easy fix.

I made my paint a bit more thinner it worked ok except on one of the fuse leaf it started running a little. I tried to fix it with a paint brush with thinner, we'll see when it dries, might have to do a 2nd coat on that one?

antoine zabal
2015-02-15, 06:07 PM
Kevin, now I understand what you are doing.

Very impressive...

bob forest
2015-02-16, 08:11 AM
Another side benefit for you, Kevin, look at all the reading you have to do, you must be really up on the news. Nice job.

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-16, 07:43 PM
ya Bob but all those specials are over;)

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-20, 10:36 PM
Though I would post since it's so quiet on the forum.

Sanded the maple leaf that had drips the other night and tonight did a second coat of red. It's looking good. Will post some pictures tomorrow night when I remove all that masking. I will do the cowling on Sunday, well probably the white at least.

Kevin Rochon
2015-02-22, 06:38 PM
Painted the Cowl with white, will do the red & blue when I can mount it so it can line up. I have to remake some mounting adjustable brackets.

I removed the masking and unfortunately there was a lot of bleeding to fix. I guess my Badger mask was getting old, didn't stick as well as I thought. So I had to scrape with my Xacto and rub with a pad. It did remove some shine but that's ok since in the end I will wax the whole thing.

Sempai-mj
2015-02-22, 07:12 PM
Looks great!

mdauth
2015-02-23, 06:12 AM
Looking good Kevin, nice work

Burning Head
2015-02-23, 08:00 AM
That's a masterpiece now, great work

fbrunet1957
2015-02-24, 07:17 AM
Looking good, amazing work.
Master at work.

Kevin Rochon
2015-03-01, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys; it looks ok on a pict. but you'll have to look at it at the field from 3 feet away, not to see the defects:o

I made the adjustable cowl supports. Before I can screw on the cowl I will have to adjust the engine ie making a hole in the center of the firewall for the spring starter. I also have to decide if I just let the exhaust go out the bottom(not scale but easy) or make a mockup wood muffler and let Lance Bisson make me one for about 200$:confused:

I had put spacers before just to do the real maiden flight without the cowl.

Kevin Rochon
2015-03-01, 08:22 PM
Here's how it looks with the engine on. BTW the firewall and the interior of the cowl will be painted black. I think I will leave it with this muffler it only needs a small hole at the bottom, if I change my mind later on I can always close it.

Sempai-mj
2015-03-01, 09:08 PM
What's rhe engine Kevin?

Kevin Rochon
2015-03-01, 10:56 PM
What's rhe engine Kevin?

It's the Zenoah G62 commonly used in that plane.

Kevin Rochon
2015-03-08, 07:03 PM
Finally was able to do a little work by installing the cowl so I can mark it for the paint(red and blue). I put on the spinner just to show how it will look.

Kevin Rochon
2015-03-15, 06:31 PM
Figured out where to put the colors on the cowl. Marked those in pencil then taped it. So I did 2 coats today. Probably 1 coat would have done but I missed a spot on the inside lip.

Now only have the blue stripe left to do in paint and fix the damage bottom scoop and retouch it.

Kevin Rochon
2015-03-20, 09:11 PM
Last night I took off the masking(sorry forgot to take a pict.) and I masked it for the blue stripe. Tonight I did the first coat of blue. Looks very good will do a 2nd coat, maybe if it needs it, on Sunday, niece birthday tomorrow.

Kevin Rochon
2015-03-22, 06:34 PM
Ok it was a perfect day, for most of us, to work on the planes inside the warmth of the workshop and the not so warm garage. I did the 2nd coat of blue on the cowling because their were a few mist spots that didn't take too long, so I decided since everything was set-up to do the inside of the canopy.

I first had to replace a few bits of the tape that had come undone over time. Then I masked the exterior. Then I had to mix that paint to try to match my old grey blue color. I think it came pretty close.

Kevin Rochon
2015-03-23, 09:35 PM
The unveiling after a lot of tape removal. I just put them temporarily on the fuse. The grey came out a bit darker than I though but I have to retouch the inside cockpit anyway.

Tarek Hassoune
2015-03-26, 06:36 AM
Great job Kevin looks very nice

Burning Head
2015-03-26, 06:54 AM
amazing work:cool:

Kevin Rochon
2015-03-26, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate that. :cool:

I was going to do more work tonight but been feeling down under the crappy weather, a man's cold. Took off early today from work hopefully will be able to go tomorrow and then feel better to do some more work this W-E.

Kevin Rochon
2015-04-04, 05:25 PM
Bad cold and several visit to the dentist, a small repair that turns out to be hurting me and it still not so good. Well finally felt like working on the plane.Did the contour of the flag with aluminum tape and the "CANADA" on the side, cut by hand so not perfect.

Kevin Rochon
2015-04-05, 04:25 PM
A little more work. Did that tail #, gave it an upgrade from 13 to 14, maybe luckier:confused: Their is actually 11 planes in the snowbird team, 10 % 11 are spares or backup. Did that flat black paint to the inside of the cowling and firewall and the cowl support.

Still to do:
Fuse
- finish cockpit(re-paint, reinstall broken parts or make new and pilot & seats)
- Install canopy(screw on)
- Install engine(gas tank)
- Install cowl make holes(muffler & spark plug), may install fake WASP engine?
- Install servos(engine, rudder, elevator)
- Install lights(rudder red & white)
Wings(3):
CTR
- Install aluminum tape(leading edge top only)
- Install retracts and air system(in fuse also for fill up)
- Install servos (retract & flap)
Other panels
- Install aluminum tape(leading edge)
- Install servos(flap & aileron)
- Install lights(landing & position)

Kevin Rochon
2015-04-06, 09:09 PM
Fixed the broken scoop (remember I dropped the airplane a while back). Used some epoxy and micro balloons and put on some primer.

antoine zabal
2015-04-07, 08:39 PM
Where can you buy decals that will stick to monokote ....forever....

Kevin Rochon
2015-04-07, 10:27 PM
Where can you buy decals that will stick to monokote ....forever....

First planes don't last forever;)

Any quality and flexible sticky decals will work, just make sure your monokote is free from oils or dirt, clean it with rubbing alcohol or trim solvent(from the makers of Monokote)

Hope that helps

zorba
2015-04-07, 10:47 PM
The only vinyl that I found to be durable and adhere well is the 3M 2.8mil. vinyl.
I use it for my decals and it holds well. The WIMAC decal on my car is there since 2009 and still holds.

Bill

Kevin Rochon
2015-04-12, 06:05 PM
For the past few days have been working on the cockpit. Repairing the damaged pipes and rudder pedals. I did refresh the paint on the pilot(added a little grey to the mustache to reflect the passing times:rolleyes:). So a lot of bits and pieces to fix and paint and trying to get it in there. I'm not installing the pilot yet will do that at the end since I have to install all the electronics and the engine so I have to flip the plane a few time and don't want to damage him.

Sempai-mj
2015-04-12, 07:29 PM
Nice detailed cockpit,
cockpit defined;

1. (Aeronautics) the compartment in a small aircraft in which the pilot, crew, and sometimes the passengers sit. Compare flight deck1
2. (Motor Racing) the driver's compartment in a racing car
3. (Nautical Terms) nautical
a. an enclosed or recessed area towards the stern of a small vessel from which it is steered
b. (formerly) an apartment in a warship used as quarters for junior officers and as a first-aid station during combat
4. (Military) the site of numerous battles or campaigns
5. (Gambling, except Cards) an enclosure used for cockfights

Kevin Rochon
2015-04-12, 08:16 PM
Interesting I didn't know that about the nautical, I used to build model ships. As for the cockfight, I guess a cock pit(enclosure):confused: Wouldn't want to see that.

Sempai-mj
2015-04-13, 08:56 AM
Interesting I didn't know that about the nautical, I used to build model ships. As for the cockfight, I guess a cock pit(enclosure):confused: Wouldn't want to see that.

Cockfight, that what happens when a Plane ventures in the Heli Area! :D:D

antoine zabal
2015-04-13, 09:16 AM
that brings back memories.....On a windy day I did a landing approach near not to say over the Helizone.....I got an earful about it.

Kevin Rochon
2015-04-13, 07:53 PM
That must of been me;)

I think there is no reason to go past the no fly zone marker(that big yellow pool noodle) even on crosswind days. If you know you're not comfortable landing in those conditions then make sure at least if you're going to cheat, fly when no helis are.

Sempai-mj
2015-04-13, 09:14 PM
Yes winter and summer is two different animals, winter less forgiving because everywhere could be a runway and the Heli guys don't like the cold.:D
Now when summer is upon us the runway is there plus Heli guys too, a good piece of Adivice use the rudder, it 's your friend in the wind. :)

Kevin Rochon
2015-04-27, 10:41 PM
Worked on the wings doing the leading edge aluminum tape. Very difficult to get it perfect, by the last piece I was getting the hang of it...of course:rolleyes:

drgilo1973
2015-04-28, 09:58 AM
kevin do u want to put a sservos for the trim of the aileron ??

antoine zabal
2015-04-28, 12:20 PM
Waynak?
Not see you at wimak

Kevin Rochon
2015-04-28, 08:16 PM
Waynak?
Not see you at wimak

He's got a kid now:rolleyes:

kevin do u want to put a sservos for the trim of the aileron ??

No it is just for show, but don't tell anyone:o

drgilo1973
2015-04-30, 11:35 AM
i ll come back soon

Kevin Rochon
2015-05-10, 08:31 PM
Worked on the left hand wing. Got the lights installed and the Aileron and flap servos.

Tarek Hassoune
2015-05-11, 04:36 AM
Very nice it's a professional job

Kevin Rochon
2015-05-11, 07:35 PM
Very nice it's a professional job

Thanks Tarek, well if it's professional then that means I get paid...no...:confused:

Kevin Rochon
2015-05-11, 11:26 PM
Ok finished the right wing. I was powering the lights with a 3S lipo, the system is really made for 9V so the lights are really bright but they get pretty hot. The lens was getting soft even though I drilled small holes in them.

Andrew Fernie
2015-05-12, 06:49 AM
If you want to cut the voltage, try something like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5Pcs-Output-1-23V-30V-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-LM2596-Power-Supply-/321476590827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad97f7ceb

At 5 for $5, with shipping, it is a good deal. This one is good for 3A, and has an adjustable voltage output.

Kevin Rochon
2015-05-12, 08:23 PM
It's a good option if I go Lipo, thanks Andrew.

My system came with a battery holder for 6 x 1.5 AA, I just wanted to see what would happened.

mdauth
2015-05-12, 08:41 PM
Did you try a 2s lipo, fully charge gives you 8.4v

zorba
2015-05-12, 09:28 PM
Yea what is the matter with you?:rolleyes:

Kevin Rochon
2015-05-12, 11:12 PM
It's not a big deal to use the battery holder and without over heating the bulbs like the 3S the 9V(new AA are 1.6 so 9.6v) should give a decent enough light emission...and it's not like I'm going to fly that plane every day:rolleyes:

Kevin Rochon
2015-05-16, 08:33 PM
Worked on the fuse today(was supposed to rain, but anyway my neck is stiff from doing extreme sport last W-E, pulling out dandelions).

So I installed the lights, the beacon on the bottom of the fuse and the red and the white on the rudder. It's probably not scale(couldn't fine any info) but the red is hooked to the beacon and the white to the landing lights.

Also installed the switches(lights & RX) and the charger plug and air fill.

Kevin Rochon
2015-05-16, 11:34 PM
Some more work. Installed the tail wheel and the rudder & elevator servos & linkage.

Kevin Rochon
2015-05-31, 06:35 PM
Wasn't easy but installed the retracts. First I had to replace the fork that got damaged in the only flight. Then had to figure out the wheel doors hinges and try to line up everything as best as I could(I hear even on full scale their are a pain to get to work properly).

Passing the air lines yesterday was quite a chore, small holes through 2 ribs.

Now just have to install the 2 air tanks the retract valve & servo and the flap & servo.

Kevin Rochon
2015-06-10, 10:20 PM
A bit of work on the flip side of the center wing. Installed the servos for retract & air control & air tanks, also center flap servo, I will have to check the adjustment with the 2 other flaps.

Kevin Rochon
2015-06-29, 06:09 PM
Today beside playing the Ukulele checking the Trex and the Bigfoot flaps I worked on the engine. I installed the new carb adaptor, it turn it 90° so the throttle easier to link in a straight line with the servo. You can see the stock one in the background.

Kevin Rochon
2015-06-30, 05:04 PM
Well the engine is mounted. The linkage for the throttle also is installed. I installed the throttle servo tray and set-up the throttle cut and Idle down features (haven't done this in a while with the electrics;)). Where the cable is exposed I put some solder to stiffen it up. I know today was a nice day but I'm in the groove and the end is approaching, of building that is;).

Fasteddy
2015-06-30, 06:48 PM
Will the maiden (re-maiden) be this week?
:)

Kevin Rochon
2015-06-30, 07:17 PM
Will the maiden (re-maiden) be this week?
:)

We'll see if all the stars line up? hopefully:syes:

Kevin Rochon
2015-07-01, 06:11 PM
Ok today had to figure out where to put the fuel lines including the filler valve(I will paint it white), the ignition switch, the batteries(RX & for lights). I did set-up the tanks last night with a 3 lines system, looks are deceiving it took a while. I also cut the first hole in the cowl the one for the spark plug now I still have to do the one for the muffler.