PDA

View Full Version : Watch this... goose pimples guaranteed

beto9
2011-01-21, 04:33 PM
Go to see this....
http://www.airshows.org.uk/2010/airshows/duxford-battle-of-britain-airshow-review.html
Warning: do not lean over you keyboard when watching or you will cover it with drool!
Spitfires got all the attention but the Hurricane was a beautiful plane!

turkana
2011-01-21, 05:24 PM
What's the Battle of Britain without the ME 109. Here a great Vid of one that was restored some years back by the Messerschmidt Foundation.
YouTube - BF109 G
Turn on your speakers they all say the Merlin sounds great and I agree but this 12 cylinder Daimler Benz engine is just awsome! I had the pleasure to see the plane some years ago and it's just beautiful and so much smaller then the Spitfire and P 51.
Over 40000 were build and a handful survive flying today and they are priceless.
See the sideslip the pilot does doing landing? He is flying a plane that's older then him and one of the trickiest to land. 15000 were lost during takeoff and landing not in combat!!! Enjoy

finnegan
2011-01-21, 05:33 PM
Bad link Pete.

beto9
2011-01-21, 05:55 PM
Bad link Pete.

You have to have patience with Pete.... he's not fully recovered!:D:D:D:D

turkana
2011-01-21, 06:40 PM
Sorry was from my I pad. Musst be getting old :)!

Mick
2011-01-21, 07:45 PM
Awesome video, thanks for posting, definitely goosebumps material.

Kevin Rochon
2011-01-21, 08:33 PM
yes awesome! I only saw a Mustang in real life quite a sound that merlin but I must admit the Benz sound good too, is there a turbo in there? I saw Ziroli has a Spitfire now in his plans http://www.ziroliplans.com/ziroliplans/cat_frameset.html , for those with unlimited budget there's the one from Clark industries http://www.clarkindustries.on.ca/spitfire.html (8000$ but that with a trailer!). Andrew you should bring back to life yours this summer.

I saw a few AT6 also in there, did you see the Redbull one I was tempted to do that scheme before I decided to do the Snowbird one.

Sempai-mj
2011-01-21, 10:01 PM
Three words, Poetry in Motion!

turkana
2011-01-21, 10:37 PM
Here you go.
http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/db605.htm

turkana
2011-01-21, 11:30 PM
All nice but for me the best ever is the DO 335 here a link. My dream would be a big rc scale bird of this one. Awesome technology. It was the fastest piston driven plane for a long time and had already ejector seats!
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/do335.html

Regards Pete

beto9
2011-01-22, 08:55 AM
Ugly !

turkana
2011-01-22, 09:31 AM
Sure people think its ugly becasue its diffrent, diffrent becasue it was lightyears ahead.Anyone can fly a Mustang but this?
YouTube - Luftwaffe Dornier Do 335 Pfeil (Arrow) :D

turkana
2011-01-22, 09:33 AM
Found my RC VErsion! YouTube - Dornier Do.335 A-12

pierre sarault
2011-01-26, 11:40 PM
Hi Pete, your dream come true...actually from Germany- Engel Modellbau und technik (bad spelling) = www.engelmt.de
They have a large scale Do335 for 50 - 80 cc gas engines with prop shaft for the rear engine as well as complete set of scale retracts, mufflers etc. Fiberglass fuselage of course. (Can also get scale wheels from Glennis Aircraft)...look under high quality semi-scale products on their web-site.

Also in relation to Kevin's question/comments on the DB-605 engine in the Me-109G4 to G10, its an all aluminium inverted V12, dry sump, fuel injected (Bosh electromechanical system with variable metering pump), 36 litres displacement with 2 stage and 2 speed supercharger (automatic speed selection re altitude and throttle demand)sometimes also fitted with additional Nitrous Oxide or Water/Methanol "Boost" injectors. This little engine also had a 30mm cannon mounted in between the banks of cylinders and fired through the prop hub center and it produced around 1600 HP on takeoff...yep and also hemispherical heads...in 1943-44...a raspy and whistling sound I'd rather have in front of me than in my rear-view mirror!:)

turkana
2011-01-27, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the info Pierre! That sure is one heck of a plane. Now I have to learn and fly it. Regards Pete

turkana
2011-01-27, 09:37 AM
If thats impressive look at this! YouTube - Horton HO-229 (a breif look at this remarkable aircraft)
Who stole the plans??

Reagrds Pete

pierre sarault
2011-01-27, 03:32 PM
Hi Pete, I've always been impressed by the advances in aerodynamics the Germans pioneered even when they were being bomberd out of existence...the Ho/Go 229 was also stealth (plywoood veneer /resin/cloth covering over tubular space-frame) with air intakes/exhaust meant to blend into the wing...I built two versions in 1:48 scale some years ago including internal details...would have wanted RC version...some kits available out of Holland and Germany I think...spoilers on the wings opened like airbrake "dams" on gliders for fine-tuning turning (like riudder function) but its the coupling of the ailerons, flaps and airbrakes that could be a headache starting from scratch I giuess...thanks for the reminder thanks also for the videos...how interesting and yes, what else lies hidden away somewhere !!??
Regards
Pierre

turkana
2011-01-27, 04:08 PM
Hi Pierre
Yes it was amazing what they build under what conditions.Me beeing German I take alot of intrest in the German History of Aviation and thanks to the Internet you can get hold of alot of info. Its amazing with what they came up with and that history is always written by the Victor.Anyway that said here is another great Vid of a Rc Version from Germany. Enjoy
YouTube - Horten Ho229 powered by 2 MW44 turbine engines
Regards Pete

turkana
2011-01-27, 04:15 PM
A video of the German Flettner twin Rotor Helicopter during WW2
YouTube - Fl 282
Guess wich company builds the same HElicopter conzept today? The US company KAmax.What a coincidense LMAO!
YouTube - Helikopterstart Kamax

What else lies hidden away? I dont want to get started on that but if you are intersted I have another really freaky story on that one!If intrested I will post what I mean.
The Horten even the Me 262 and the He117 all already had ejector Seats, amazing.