PDA

View Full Version : Hexa heavy lifter

zorba
2011-04-16, 06:32 PM
Since the Gator 8X is complete and flies I started another project. This one is a Hexa heavy lifter.
Got it finished today bench tested with pros and all.
Didn't have time to maiden, I was at work and it was very windy.
But I said what ta heck.
Set her on the ground and spooled up the motors. No more than 6" off the ground she did the flip of death right over and landed on the electronics.

No harm done. I had some stand offs installed and the stack is fine.

But why?
No errors, everything checked out on the kopter-tools.

I fire it up again and seems to be ok.
I noticed that one motor spins the wrong way. Not all the time, sometimes clockwise and others counterclockwise.
Anybody knows why this happens?

My setup is:
Plates G-10 2mm
Riggers, 12.5mm aluminum
Motors, Pulso 2820/14
ESC's, TY 60A plush
Props, APC 13x6.5
FC, me 2.1
Converter, I2c-PWM from Timecop from China
Power board, from Minsoo Kim
Batts, 2x2cell 6000mAh in series
Rx, Jr satellite

turkana
2011-04-16, 07:03 PM
brushless motors can run diffrent directions if the esc gets the timming wrong for whatever reason.

zorba
2011-04-16, 08:58 PM
Thanks Pete, I have extras I will change the esc and see what happens.

beto9
2011-04-17, 02:01 PM
OK Bill, I guess you are going on reverse evolution: first an octocopter, now an hexacopter, next will be a quadcopter, then a duocopter and finally... a run of the mill helicopter!

Hope you can come to the field soooooon and show all those marvels...

zorba
2011-04-17, 05:04 PM
Thanks Albert, but the less rotors the more you can lift. My octo-coaxial weighs in at 6.5lbs, the hexa at 7lbs 9 oz and the quad probably around 4lbs so they can lift more weight. get it?
I'll try to be at the field once things warm up a bit. Don't forget my time is limited with the situation at home and I can't be away for too long.

Last year I was there for 12 hours at the time and I loved it. Now things have changed.

Cheers

zorba
2011-04-22, 06:03 PM
Got her fixed. She is ready and she flies.:D:crazy2:

Mick
2011-04-22, 07:50 PM
Well done Bill, so when do we get to see it fly?

zorba
2011-04-22, 09:53 PM
As soon as the weather stabilizes and find someone to babysit my Mom.
I still don,t have my MAAC. So I have to wait a bit.

Cheers

Burning Head
2011-04-27, 10:32 PM
I bet all those prop are perfectly balance, that's wy no torsion bar are use on:cool: strong but light material too,good job Bill:)

zorba
2011-04-29, 05:08 AM
Yes Richard they are balanced. Not only the props but the motors as well.
First I balance the props, then I balance the motors and finally I balance the motor and prop together.
That means that the prop is balanced to that motor only. If I change props I have to rebalnce the whole thing again.
Here's a photo of the prop and motor match.

Cheers

PS.. I use my i-Phone to detect any vibrations on every motor.

Burning Head
2011-04-29, 06:07 PM
Precision work Bill. I lift my hats. All my prop are well balance too. But to be honest:o,I never realy pay attention to balancing the prop/motor until now and for the futur. Thank's for the pic:)

zorba
2011-04-30, 06:27 AM
Thanks Richard. You should try it. It really works and NO vibrations at all. But it takes long time to do.LOL

Burning Head
2011-04-30, 06:54 AM
I will do for shure:cool: