PDA

View Full Version : wouldn't it be nice????? :)

matador_24
2012-03-03, 02:57 PM
hello guys,

Whenever I watch videos on youtube of other clubs, it seems most of the tracks are wider than ours....
Wouldn't it be nice to make ours wider?????
It would help a lot in case of emergency landings, deadsticks, crosswind, etc..... or even when our eyes trick us and we think we are landing on the track but it is in fact the grass.. lolll....
Just an idea.....

fbrunet1957
2012-03-03, 04:13 PM
Wider and longer:rolleyes:

matador_24
2012-03-03, 04:28 PM
Yesssssssssss, that would be even better
However, I think that the lenght is not bad..... even though you are right, I have seen people landing on track and then moving on the grass so that the plane can slowdown.... specially bigger and/or faster planes I think...

:o

Ronald Longtin
2012-03-03, 04:44 PM
L'an dernier le paysagiste devait rouler le gazon au sud de la piste pour éventuellement pouvoir atterrir en toute sécurité sur le gazon comme sur le tarmac. Malheureusement le printemps fut trop pluvieux pour faire ce travail.

On espère pouvoir le faire ce printemps.

zorba
2012-03-03, 05:40 PM
Ronald do we have any belts left? We might just add 20ft or so....

matador_24
2012-03-03, 07:25 PM
hey Ronald, couldn't we add some more tarmac to one of the track's sides to make the track wider?
I think the Lenght is not too bad, However as you mentioned, the lenght's sides could be longer with short grass to help stop planes...

Burning Head
2012-03-03, 07:28 PM
I have see some in the past in the heli zone beside ther parking Bill:) around 30 foot of piece from the original tarmak strip.

Sempai-mj
2012-03-03, 07:52 PM
Scale planes land on a runway way narrower than what we have, according to scale..

matador_24
2012-03-03, 08:23 PM
WWII bombers were landing on ship carriers but it doesn't mean that they have to or that they can not land on a bigger landing strip.....
I think everybody can land on our strips as they are but having a wider track would make things more practical. I have seen many planes (including mine) landing on half tarmac/half grass and flipping over... or some EDF jets breaking landing gears because of the same reason.
Yes, yes, yes, somebody is going to say 'practice, practice, practice'.... but that practice cost us fixing time, etc whereas having tarmac and just marking over the 'narrow' strip would be enough.....

Well, it was just a thought..... if most people do not agree or it is impossible to do it, it is ok.....

We are members, and we can come out with ideas to improve the club....at the same time, having a wider strip would also increase safety as we could land the planes farther from the pilot stations.....
:)

Sempai-mj
2012-03-04, 06:57 AM
The grass on the south side will be rolled this spring and cut very short which will give a nice smooth surface to land on and will help in slowing down bigger planes when landing.

beto9
2012-03-04, 09:46 AM
We have a general meeting in the Spring and the most important subject is field day before opening the Cub, when we discuss all the repairs and improvements to do.
Then it comes field day. From experience I can say that not too many people with ideas show to do the work, Always the same regulars.
Sorry guys, it had to be said.

matador_24
2012-03-04, 10:07 AM
You are right Albert, i have personally never been there as i have school/work all week (school sat and sun) and not time even to go flying. If i have the chance this year i will go for sure. But if somebody approves the tarmac to make the track wider, as it was my initiative, i will miss school to help installing it... I promise
You guys always do a great job, that is out of question...
:)

mariusmusicus
2012-03-05, 03:53 PM
The current strip cannot accommodate any turbines or serious composite EDF (90-120mm) single and twin jets. And the bumpiness of the tarmac creates problems for jets with delicate retracts that need to come in hot. If the bumps were scale they'd tear real jets apart. Lachute is the only club around Montreal that can deal with jets but it's too far for me.

MM

Kevin Rochon
2012-03-05, 07:48 PM
Personally I think you can forget about turbines at WIMAC I've seen turbines at Iles Perrault and it takes a lot of room to fly. So I'm not even taking about our small runway, you need a lot of room for the approaches and we have trees on both sides, so even if you have another 100 feet of runway and no bumps, it would have to be a crazy steep approach:eek:

Kevin Rochon
2012-03-05, 08:38 PM
How low can you go and how lucky can you get watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXUP1FHufs&feature=player_embedded

Burning Head
2012-03-08, 03:20 PM
Most of the time we never use all the run way to land. The first 50 to 75ft is use as a visual guide for the landing depending witch station is use. We should renew our aproche and landing tech this spring:) I mean for some like me