PDA

View Full Version : question about gas choke

matador_24
2012-04-17, 11:31 PM
Hello guys....

How many times do I use the choke during 1 flying day?
I do not want to install a servo for the choke, thus, I will leave it manual. However, I see people install it at the front..... I prefer to install it within the fuselage even though I have to open the canopy and close-open the choke.....
Do I use only the choke at the first flight and then once the engine starts I leave it open the rest of the day and I do not have to use it again during the day or I have to open/close each time I want to fly the same day????

thanks!

Burning Head
2012-04-18, 07:32 AM
Most of the time, the choke is use for the first start of the day's and because you dont feel to swing the prop's 30 to 50 time until you see the gas line fulling and joining the carburator. Depending of the location of the choke harm's, I use a simple rod braket or no choke at all...only my heavy duty starters:D

Burning Head
2012-04-18, 08:16 AM
By the way Luis, I'm about to order's few silencer buffer at $20 for DLE 20 and 30cc. Are you in...I mean, it's a go way pass the annual sound meters check up:cool: here is the link to understand http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/TBMDLE20SILENCER.html

Sempai-mj
2012-04-18, 12:07 PM
By the way Luis, I'm about to order's few silencer buffer at $20 for DLE 20 and 30cc. Are you in...I mean, it's a go way pass the annual sound meters check up:cool: here is the link to understand http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/TBMDLE20SILENCER.html

Richard waht is the diameter of the exhaust pipe, 1 Inch ?

xed
2012-04-18, 01:05 PM
Choke is just to prime the carb, getting it flush with enough fuel to start the engine.

And how often you use it will depend on your fuel/vent/temperature/engine...

I have never used a mechanized choke on any of my planes and once you get the engine to burp with the choke on, you just open it up and flip it a 3-4 more times to get it going.

You should never have to play with the choke while the engine is running, ever.

Flying73
2012-04-18, 01:11 PM
Hey Richard i saw that silencer but opted to buy a canister muffler instead. It was more expensive and a whole lot harder to install :mad: I'd like to do a sound comparison with you at the field one day.

briankizner
2012-04-18, 02:14 PM
I agree 100% with Greg. This is why I think a simple mechanical link (as easy as a length of music wire with a loop at the prop end covered with 2 inches of fuel line (the fuel line is not necessary but it prevents the wire from rattling around in the cowling and gives a comfortable feel for your finger) just behind the prop works well.
Thanks for the link, Burning Head. I may order the same silencer for my 55.

Burning Head
2012-04-18, 04:02 PM
Hey Richard i saw that silencer but opted to buy a canister muffler instead. It was more expensive and a whole lot harder to install :mad: I'd like to do a sound comparison with you at the field one day.

Imagine to use two of them in your 30cc Pitt exhaust instead of the futur canister... I just kiding, Can's are the best mufflers:cool:. I know because I use one in my 26cc. Those Buffers are for my tiny 20cc with the stock exhaust. I dont have a vernier to mesure inside of the pipe Michael and on the DLE site, they dont mention it...

Burning Head
2012-04-18, 04:03 PM
Oups, no problemo BK:) I'm planing to order them this Friday, did I put a 55 on the bill. I'm agree with Greg too for summer flyer's . But when you want to fly during the winter, a choke could be usefull for the first start because of the air density.

briankizner
2012-04-18, 04:40 PM
don't order for me, BH, as I will be away from Montreal for the next 2 or 3 months. I just thanked you because I was not aware of the product which I may get for myself.

matador_24
2012-04-25, 02:02 AM
Hello guys for the help, sorry for taking long to answer, I was away for 1 week. :o
Based on your comments I decided to install the mech choke within the fuselage, thus, I will open up the canopy (2 screws) to have access to the choke and once this part is done and I leave it open, then I shouldn't use it for the rest of the day.... :)

Thanks Richard, I am going to let it go for now.... I will have the plane flying first and then I will see my options about the mufflers and silencers... but thanks for the suggestion....

:)

Andrew Fernie
2012-04-25, 12:08 PM
Luis,
People have generally found a way of creating a small linkage that allows them to control the choke by reaching in through the front of the cowl.
Andrew

Sempai-mj
2012-04-25, 12:52 PM
As Andrew said;
See the picture.

Burning Head
2012-04-25, 12:54 PM
Is it a new planes Michael:cool:

beto9
2012-04-25, 01:40 PM
Luis, escucha a los expertos... pone el control del choke en el cowl, no adentro del canopy... cuando el motor se resiste a arrancar te vas a volver loco abriendo y cerrando la canopy....

Burning Head
2012-04-25, 01:54 PM
I think understand every thing, except "Canopy'....:D

Sempai-mj
2012-04-25, 04:03 PM
Is it a new planes Michael:cool:

No, just a Picture of the choke in the front cowl.:)

Sempai-mj
2012-04-25, 04:04 PM
Luis, escucha a los expertos... pone el control del choke en el cowl, no adentro del canopy... cuando el motor se resiste a arrancar te vas a volver loco abriendo y cerrando la canopy....

Eso sí, no mantenga sus dedos allí por mucho tiempo

Jaruiz
2012-04-25, 06:24 PM
Eso sí, no mantenga sus dedos allí por mucho tiempo

Haha :) muy bien Mike ! Tu español es muy bueno.

Sempai-mj
2012-04-25, 07:56 PM
Haha :) muy bien Mike ! Tu español es muy bueno.

No hay nada como el poder de Google Translate!

zorba
2012-04-25, 09:38 PM
¿por qué estáis haciendo esto a mí?

Sempai-mj
2012-04-26, 06:47 AM
Because I can't read Greek!:D

matador_24
2012-04-26, 12:24 PM
lolllllllllllll

ok, thanks a lot for the picture......

zorba
2012-04-26, 09:52 PM