PDA

View Full Version : Extra landing gear fix

Kevin Rochon
2012-07-18, 08:10 PM
I put back the puzzle last night. Fortunately it broke well, so I cleaned up a bit and then epoxied the parts together.

No wonder it broke so easily they use some kind of hot glue and for a stress point like that very little and it's an Aeroworks?

I'll post a couple of pictures later.

Kevin Rochon
2012-07-18, 11:41 PM
Here are the pictures of the progress. The two lengthwise pieces of hardwood where cracked right where they meet the perpendicular piece of plywood where the landing gear screws on. I just glued it yesterday with epoxy 30min. After some sanding and carving out the extra glue I put in the stringers and plate and then the sheeting, wetting the balsa first so it bends more easily.

Tomorrow the covering...stay tuned;)

Sempai-mj
2012-07-19, 06:49 AM
Nice job, some of us will learn from your post.
Thanks

fbrunet1957
2012-07-19, 08:20 AM
That's right.
Everything we learn from these posts is priceless.

Kevin Rochon
2012-07-19, 11:34 PM
Ya I wish we had this forum when I started RC building and flying I had to learn the hard way some times(still do on occasion;)).

So finished the covering tonight. First it has to be smooth so sanding and filling dents is important then cleaning the dust. I cut the piece a bit bigger and align with one side, the piece can't fit perfect all over because the fuselage is tapered. I work first with the sealing iron and at the end use the heat gun, it will take out any wrinkle that may happen. For the edges I cut about 1/8" outside the end so you put the iron on top on the flat surface and then turn it down while going back and forth. When I cut over another pices of covering I put a piece of clear plastic so I don't go through that covering; I couldn't find it so I used a ruler.

drgilo1973
2012-07-20, 08:50 AM
like new, did you chek the origin of the dead stick kevin

Kevin Rochon
2012-07-20, 08:28 PM
Ya hope it's nothing much I will test tomorrow, I don't remember what was the plane doing when it happened.

Kevin Rochon
2012-07-21, 09:39 PM
Well the engine didn't want to cooperate today it did the same thing as before the change of the EI. It would star then stop by itself. I was quit discourage.

But with the help of David, we took the connections apart to put hook up a battery directly to the EI. In doing so I happened to pull on a connection and the wire just came off. I seems it was frayed so the connection was intermittent.

So when I tried David's EI I had to bypass that connection so it work great and when I put back the new EI I must of push the wire more inside the connector so it lasted until last week.

I'll fix it tonight and will test it tomorrow and I'll test the old EI too if it's good then I spent the 140$ for nothing:mad::mad::mad: Then again I can sell the old one:confused:

xed
2012-07-23, 07:47 AM
Glad you found the problem finally...

Michael V. has the spinner BTW...

Kevin Rochon
2012-07-23, 07:17 PM
euh Greg I guess you didn't read my other post, the engine is still acting up.

I sent an email to DA which they said they would gladly look at it N\C so I'm taking it off the plane tonight and having one last look around then I'll ship it there. So grounded for the moment, well I got the chopper with only 2 batteries that are still good.

That AJ Slick is looming on the horizon.....

P.S. Thanks for the spinner I'll arranged it with Micheal.

Michael V
2012-07-24, 06:06 AM
The spinner is at home come buy anytime to get it. Just call before so I make sure I have pants on;)

I have my Carden for sale, you could buy this if you want.
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?p=969810#post969810

happy flying everyone!

Kevin Rochon
2012-07-24, 08:37 PM
Good deal on your Carden for sure. But my next one will be electric (AJslick and all).

My DA50 is on it's way to DA for figuring out what is the @#$%? problem with it, so the spinner is not a rush.

Kevin Rochon
2012-08-03, 08:08 PM
Well just got an email from DA today, they apparently fix the engine and are supposed to call me today(nothing so far) and tell me how much$ and what was the problem.

drgilo1973
2012-08-04, 09:26 AM
kevin t es tane des dead stick pour aller a l electrique

Kevin Rochon
2012-08-06, 08:16 PM
Ok so I just spoke to Jeff, of course with my luck I was in the pool when he called, anyway their was several problems. He's first remark was this is a 7 year old engine but as I told him it has low millage.

1- the crankshaft was all the way back (probably because of last years crash, although it crashed on the wing) so they repositioned it.

2- the piston and ring had lots of blow by so he replaced those two and suggested I changed oil type.

3- the New EI had a hole in the boot where the spark plug sits apparently from pushing it too hard in, fortunately for this time he's passing it on the warranty, the old EI had a lot of arching so it was toast.

So it came to 99$ plus shipping (40$ one way and ??$ back)

Sempai-mj
2012-08-06, 08:36 PM
What's the best oil type?

bob forest
2012-08-06, 08:57 PM
Bel-Ray MC-1 that is what I use, what FPE recommends and also DA recommends. It is very expensive I paid 85 dollars for a 4 litre can. I have never had a problem with my first engine a 40cc and my second which has over 1000 flights and also my 70cc which has about 150 flights. All of them First Place Engines. Kurt the owner of FPE did test with many makes and came to the conclusion that is what is the best for the engines. He said that Amsoil yes you get more rpms but also much faster wear of the engine.
So Kenvin, not many places have it, I order from the Ski doo dealer in Vaudreuil I forgot the name of the place, he has to order it as he mentioned only the top trail bikes order the stuff because of the price. When you get off for the St. Charles exit in Vaudreuil you keep going straight at the light and it is just on your right just across from the Volkswagen dealer.

Kevin Rochon
2012-08-06, 09:24 PM
Thanks Bob but that's a bit far to get oil, I used to get Amsoil at a dealer on Hymus but he doesn't stock it no more, Jeff recommended Stihl their a couple of dealers near where I work.

What you other Gas guys use?

Sempai-mj
2012-08-07, 02:34 AM
Thanks Bob but that's a bit far to get oil, I used to get Amsoil at a dealer on Hymus but he doesn't stock it no more, Jeff recommended Stihl their a couple of dealers near where I work.

What you other Gas guys use?

I found this online, Kirkland St. Charles road and Brunswick

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=4

bob forest
2012-08-07, 06:39 AM
This is another dealer,Motovan Motosport, Inc.

1391 Gay Lussac

Boucherville, Quebec J4B 7K1

CANADA

(450)449-3903

(450)449-7773
also you can buy it online,http://www.belray.com/promotional Maybe also have a look at that.

Ronald Longtin
2012-08-07, 09:10 AM
J'ai une bouteille d'un litre de Amsoil Saber presque pleine que tu peux avoir.

Kevin Rochon
2012-08-07, 08:33 PM
Merci Ronald Je ne sais pas à quand la prochaine fois que ve vais aller au club, probablement pas en fin de semaine mais l'autre si tu y es on fera la transaction.

Hey Bob you got to remember I'm not retired yet like you why do you want to send me so far away:confused::D

Michael that link doesn't give the address, anyway I couldn't find it.

bob forest
2012-08-08, 06:35 AM
Am getting to get you to practice for your retiring days. Will give you a feeling of what you can do when you retire.

Kevin Rochon
2012-08-15, 09:12 PM
Well I got my Da today. They changed quit a few parts I don't know if you can see from the attachment? Also so far they haven't charged me the 32$ for shipping back ....shush maybe they will forget???;)

Kevin Rochon
2012-08-16, 10:56 PM
Now I'm wondering since it's a new piston and ring maybe I should redo the break-in with non synthetic oil, maybe 2 or 3 gallons?

Sunfly
2012-08-17, 12:13 PM
Hi Kevin,
I suggest you do another breaking with double oil ratio for 3 full tanks.
I also suggest you don't go over 3000 RPM. with it for the first 30 minutes.

A good break in always paid back at least for me.

Kevin Rochon
2012-08-17, 08:03 PM
Just spoke to Micheal V. and he agrees it needs another break in. I've got some Klotz Castor oil that I'm going to use it recommends for gasoline 2 stk aircooled engine 32:1, after at least a couple of gallons I'll use the Amsoil Saber unless I can find some RedLine.

mdauth
2012-08-17, 08:09 PM
Now I'm wondering since it's a new piston and ring maybe I should redo the break-in with non synthetic oil, maybe 2 or 3 gallons?

Since DA just Re-built it and you already had issues with this engine I would send them a quick E-mail and ask their recommendations.

Kevin Rochon
2012-08-17, 10:54 PM
When I talked to Jeff he didn't mention another break in but it is common knowledge I guess:

Suggestions for Proper Engine Break-In

Whenever an engine's piston rings are replaced whether in part or in entirety it is necessary to break in the engine. Piston rings are replaced at a complete engine overhaul or repair, top overhaul or single cylinder overhaul or repair.
When we refer to engine or cylinder break in, we are talking about the physical mating of the engine's piston rings to it's corresponding cylinder wall. That is, we want to physically wear the new piston rings into the cylinder wall until a compatible seal between the two is achieved.
Proper engine break in will produce an engine that achieves maximum power output with the least amount of oil consumption due to the fact that the piston rings have seated properly to the cylinder wall. When the piston rings are broken in or seated, they do not allow combustion gases to escape the combustion chamber past the piston rings into the crankcase section of the engine. This lack of "blow-by" keeps your engine running cleaner and cooler by preventing hot combustion gases and by-products from entering the crankcase section of the engine. Excessive "blow-by" will cause the crankcase section of the engine to become pressurized and contaminated with combustion gases, which in turn will force normal oil vapors out of the engine's breather, causing the engine to consume excessive amounts of oil. In addition to sealing combustion gases in the combustion chamber, piston rings must also manage the amount of oil present on the cylinder walls for lubrication. If the rings do not seat properly, they cannot perform this function and will allow excessive amounts of oil to accumulate on the cylinder wall surfaces. This oil is burned each and every time the cylinder fires. The burning of this oil, coupled with "blow-by" induced engine breathing, are reasons that an engine that hasn't been broken in will consume more than its share of oil.

Also it is good to change speed often and reach top speed once in a while so the ring can seat as high as possible in the cylinder.

Kevin Rochon
2012-08-18, 12:18 AM
After reading a bit and also realizing that I can't break in with my 24x8 prop fortunately I have a Dynatrust 22x8 so I drill it and balanced it, I see that Klotz is not the best for breaking in. I will see if I can find some Penzoil if not I'll use the Saber at 50:1 instead of 80:1 or 100:1.