PDA

View Full Version : First Build

redfox
2012-07-27, 02:28 PM
This is my first balsa kit project, a beginner's high wing plane using an OS 25 glo engie. At the moment, the wing has been covered although the aileron's have yet to be attached, and I'm working on fitting the electronics into the fusalage before covering it with monokote. Fitting servo's is . . . interesting.

Quick question: is it a good idea to seal the edges of the monokote seams with CA?

briankizner
2012-07-27, 04:06 PM
quick answer. Yes.
Longer answer- the edges will eventually get soaked with fuel and will start to lift. The CA will help prevent this.

redfox
2012-07-27, 06:55 PM
Thanks,

One of the things that been puzzling me is that there no--as far as I can tell--provisions for crashes. The majority seem to be nose down, stressing the engine well, fire wall, and wheels, and yet there doesn't seem to be any "shock absorbers" built into the fuselage to gradually take up the strain and distribute the forces.

beto9
2012-07-30, 05:12 PM
There are no provisions for crashes because we are all such a good flyers!
And if you believe this then Santa exists...

briankizner
2012-07-30, 05:37 PM
I am sure that the engine mount, wing center, and landing gear mount are the strongest elements of your aircraft, as they generally are.
Trainer aircraft usually use a fair bit of plywood in the structure, especially in the high stress areas, to give them a measure of durability. The problem with building too much crash resistance is that extra strength means extra weight which increases stall speed and reduces flight performance. And, when a heavier mass hits the ground in an unscheduled landing, it may sustain more damage than a lighter one because of its greater momentum. Every aircraft design has some compromises of strength vs low weight. Trainers generally have more meat on them than, for example, 3D fun-flyers. There have always been models made of other materials such as Coreplast and the well known Duraplane (foam wings and a drainpipe fuselage) which are much tougher than wood but don't always look or fly that great (with the exception of Robert C's ancient Duraplane).
My experience is that almost every model kit is well designed for its purpose.
I used too many words to say that you are right, the plane is designed to fly, not to crash. As Albert said, WIMAC pilots don't crash.

zorba
2012-07-30, 09:01 PM
As Albert said, WIMAC pilots don't crash.

How right you are.

But...we have alot of dead sticks:D:D:D:D:D

MidnightHeli
2012-07-30, 11:44 PM

My kids will be happy to find out that Santa does exist:Dancing_biggrin:

David Janashvili
2012-07-31, 12:02 AM

Albert I am confused; Santa doesn't exist???

beto9
2012-07-31, 09:52 AM
Albert I am confused; Santa doesn't exist???

In your case, you seem to have a personal Santa!

Sempai-mj
2012-07-31, 10:47 AM
In your case, you seem to have a personal Santa!

Albert where are you, I'm in Edmonton today getting ready to drive to Jasper, then onto BC.

beto9
2012-07-31, 11:26 AM
Back, arrived last night.
Do not spend too much in Great Hobbies....

Sempai-mj
2012-07-31, 11:53 AM
Too late..

Andrew Fernie
2012-07-31, 12:14 PM

I believe that the approved term is "controlled flight into terrain" rather than "crash".

Andrew

beto9
2012-07-31, 12:34 PM
What about "re-kitting"?
Or "de-ARFing"?

briankizner
2012-07-31, 03:28 PM
...."unscheduled landing", "figure 9"

jim
2012-07-31, 08:09 PM
I like Brians, figure 9 LOL

Shawn
2012-07-31, 09:14 PM
Michael,say hello to my old hometown of Hinton as you pass through on your way to Jasper. shawn

Sunfly
2012-08-01, 04:30 PM
If you want a plane that will resist some crashes build a S.P.A.D.
Simple Plastic Airplane Designs see http://www.spadtothebone.net/freeplans.htm
My balsa plane survived about 288 flights and is still alive. But .. but ask me how I destroyed 2 SPAD not to say 3.
I am building a new Corospit and later another one that will resemble the Ultra Stick.
The later will have a rounded wing leading edge and a symetrical airfoil ... of course.

Cheers to all!

Sempai-mj
2012-08-01, 06:37 PM
Michael,say hello to my old hometown of Hinton as you pass through on your way to Jasper. shawn

Saw the signs yesterday afternoon, now we're eating fruit loops in Kamloops!:D

zorba
2012-08-02, 06:48 AM
Kamloops my home town for 21 years. Nice place. Lots to do.
Enjoy