Michael V
2007-10-28, 09:52 AM
Here is my project :crazy:
The Edge 540t from Wild Hare.

As Stephane says "build now, fly later"

Later all

bob forest
2007-10-28, 09:10 PM
Michael, I am in Chicago right now, all I can tell you, you are going to love that plane. I hope you get out of it, as mouch enjoyment as I do out of mine.

Michael V
2007-10-29, 04:13 PM
I hope you come back soon. I would like your help to build it. You see I have the next 3 weeks off of work. I had surgery this morning (minor, skin cancer removed from my chest) so if you have time for me that would me great.

Michael

Dwight Macdonald
2007-10-29, 07:24 PM
Michael, I hope you recover well and enjoy the building break!

bob forest
2007-10-29, 10:05 PM
Michael, will be in touch when I get back. Wishing you speedy recovery.
Bo

Michael V
2007-10-29, 10:24 PM
Thanks Bob, I will read the manual completely before I start anything. Gives me a few days.;)
And thanks Dwight, that is the coolest plane!!!
I can?t wait to see that in the air.:)

Michael V
2007-11-01, 09:50 AM
Hello I need a servo to pair up with one I all ready have for the elev on on Edge. So if anyone has a Hitec HS-5945MG that they are willing to sell please get back to me.

Later
Michael

xed
2007-11-01, 10:28 AM
The 5985MG are pretty much the same except for a slightly stronger servo case.

Dwight Macdonald
2007-11-01, 07:32 PM
I have one used HS-5945MG, four used HS-5645MG and one new HS-5645MG ... all for sale at $40, $30, $35 each respectively. The 5645 have slightly less torque (168oz vs 181oz) and less speed (0.18sec vs 0.13sec).

Ronald Longtin
2007-11-01, 08:43 PM
Dwight,

I' ll take the 5645's, and if Michael doesn't take the 5945, I'll take that one too.

Thanks

Ronald

Michael V
2007-11-02, 08:33 AM
I have one used HS-5945MG, four used HS-5645MG and one new HS-5645MG ... all for sale at $40, $30, $35 each respectively. The 5645 have slightly less torque (168oz vs 181oz) and less speed (0.18sec vs 0.13sec).

Hi Dwight!!
I take the 5945, and the new5645, thank-you every much.:)
Call tonight
Micahel

Dwight Macdonald
2007-11-02, 10:04 PM
Wow! That was fast ... perhaps my price was too low! Just kidding. Just call me when you get a chance guys ... I'm up until midnight every night.

Michael V
2008-01-14, 10:04 PM
I have started on the Edge, got the motor on, and hinged the Rudder and elevator. I had to recover the elevators, God the original colors are ugly. I well do the wings the same way later. I fiber glass reinforced the engine box and mounted the throttle servo.

Michael V
2008-01-14, 10:12 PM
Here are a couple of good pic's of the orginal colors, by the way that is not me.
The bad computer coloring of the edge in a hover is what I hope my plane will look like what it is finished.

Even my little girl is helping me :)
Later

Michael V
2008-01-29, 10:11 PM
Here are a few new pic's
A123 battery set-up with a super switch from Jet Black Packs,tail hing lines covered, I just have to recover the wing to match the tail and a few little things.
By the end of the week-end she should be finished.
Later

Eric Marchand
2008-01-29, 10:37 PM
Sweet !!! By the way Michael, I haven't forgotten about the Ultimate, I've just been swamped. Let me know if it is still available, I'm still interested to pick it up before the week-end ends.

Cheers!!

Dwight Macdonald
2008-01-30, 08:48 PM
Good work Michael! I can't wait to see you fly it! ... but take your time to check it very well first ...

xed
2008-01-31, 11:27 AM
Here are a few new pic's
A123 battery set-up with a super switch from Jet Black Packs,tail hing lines covered, I just have to recover the wing to match the tail and a few little things.
By the end of the week-end she should be finished.
Later

Those look like the A123 batteries I bought last week... I'm putting two 2300mA through a Smart-fly power expander and removing my 3600mA NiMH pack (5-cell Sub-C pack), hopefully come in around same weight with redundancy and fail-safe switch. The setup will be future proof for my 100cc plane if I ever get the money for it.

Batteries connected with Deans plugs to Power expander, full 6.6V to the servos, 5V to receiver. JR charge balancer to charging jacks.

Michael V
2008-01-31, 12:46 PM
That is the same battery I have.
Insidently,I have been told by Tom at Wild hare that all you need is one battery with a super switch from smartfly. This is how he set-up his 35% Gilles. He even told me that he has seen some people splicing the bat and powering the ignition at the same time. That 1 bat for the whole plane!
I have asked Ray to help me program the servos as I am not understanding the concept even after watching the videos. If he is busy would you have time to help me?
Look forward to seeing you at the feild some time soon Greg.
later

xed
2008-01-31, 01:20 PM
Problem I see with that configuration is that you will have to re-charge frequently at the club. You won't know when the A123 batteries are low, before it is too late... They will read 6.2-6.6v almost all of the time until they are dead...

Also, on the remote chance that one of the cells goes bad in the battery pack, you are going to lose your plane.

I can probably help you with the programmer if you need help... Its pretty simple when you don't have to gang them together but you need to make sure you have all of your Radio settings (i.e. end-points, rates, switch configurations) finalized before you try to play with the servos.

beto9
2008-01-31, 05:17 PM
This company sells an adapter to charge A123 batteries with your own charger....
http://www.sincityjets.com/store-accessories.htmInteresting, because it seems I have such a collection of "wall suckers" that Hydro told me I have to upgrade my main switch.
When I bought the Triton one I thought I had left all my problems behind... but nooooo, new batteries are in the market and the question is "will my charger be able to charge it, will my equalizer work?".
And I want to follow fashion.... A123 are cooooool!
And so it goes... VISA! Worn out!

Michael V
2008-02-02, 11:34 AM
Using this charger I was able to charge the battery full from 30% to 100% in about 10 min, it chargers at 4amps and ballances at the same time, also tell you how much "fuel"(there words) you put in.
the battery doesn't even get warm during chargering.

Michael V
2008-02-02, 11:39 AM
I have completed the fuse and installed all electronics; just have the cover the wings and I will be very close to the maiden flight.

beto9
2008-02-02, 12:05 PM
Are you even hinting that you will maiden it with skis? Or indoors?

xed
2008-02-02, 05:59 PM
That is the charger I ordered, should be arriving next week.

Michael V
2008-02-22, 12:36 PM
What is the advantage of a 3 blade prop over a 2 blade?
Is it just the extra clearance you get at the front?

stephane.savard
2008-02-22, 12:56 PM
You might want to use a 3-blade properllor for scale appearance, but otherwise, you incur a performance penalty by adding blades.

bob forest
2008-02-22, 04:40 PM
The big advantage of 3 bladed props, is the quietness of the prop. The large 40% planes, use the 3 bladed, to cut down on sound. Also for some reason less ultrasonic also. But lalso a small percentage of power loss.

Michael V
2008-02-26, 06:21 PM
Hello Everyone!
I finished the Edge. Just have to plane with the CG, it is a little nose heavy right now.
See you all later.

Michael V
2008-03-16, 03:22 PM
Hello Everyone!
I had a long night last night, up untill 3am playing cards with good friends.So as much as I wanted to go to the field and fly,I wasn't up to it.
So I took the Edge outside and ran the motor. I had a problem with the throtle servo on my first run. While the motor was runing it would start dance around (Full-idle-full) So after some tinkering I replaced the sevro. Today I ran it for about 15 min and preformed and range check, all went well :)
I am just waiting for my skies, so I could be in the air in a week or so.

Later
Michael

Michael V
2008-03-19, 07:04 PM
I this pic there some blue extenions on the muffler, does anyone know where I can get this?

Ronald Longtin
2008-03-19, 07:16 PM
They are silicon tubes normally used as muffler couplers. Made by Aerotrend. DistMod usually has some in stock (smaller sizes) or can order for you.

Michael V
2008-03-30, 07:00 PM
Well I have done all I can and even without skies I took her to the lake this afternoon to see if I could take her up.
I was able to and she fly's great!
Bob was there to help me and give advice.

The landing was fine it just tiped over at the end. Not a scratch. :)
Later everying I hope you all had as much fun as I did today.

bob forest
2008-03-30, 09:21 PM
Congrats Mike, job well done. Like he mentioned to me, after the flight, a couple clics of down and that was it. Was he nervous? I thought he was going to eat his tuque. But the flight went really well, that plane flies just like it should. Lots of power. Landing was just beautiful, slow and steady. Then Mike flew his funtana to relax as you can see, some hovering and low inverted passes. Great Day, I got in 6 flights with the Cub, no knife edges.
Again, Congratulations to you Mike. Keep it up and you will do well in IMAC, start practicing.
I forgot to mention about the Tempo, it took him about 4 hours to take it apart. about 2 feet of it was under water and in the second layer of ice. They finally got it down. This was the warm up tent for the Parasailers. Nice bunch of guys. Then they both sat down, and watched us fly.

AlixB
2008-03-30, 09:35 PM
This is going to be an interesting season for you.
Now you got the gear you deserve.
Any Imac in sight?

xed
2008-03-31, 10:08 AM
Congrats Michael on the flight of your new airplane... Sorry I could not be there, we did not return to civilization until late in the day.

George Bozian
2008-03-31, 11:05 AM
Hi Michael the edge looks real nice,did it fly like you expected it to,did you use the recomended rates and witch rate the hight or low rate on your first flight.I can not wait to do my first flight most likely in May for I will be in Florida for the month of April.A couple of more question what prop did you use and did you break in your engine on the ground or your doing it in flight.

beto9
2008-03-31, 11:11 AM
Yes! Wow! Congrats.... We need all the airplane fliers we can muster....

Great looking plane, Michael!

isabel
2008-03-31, 12:34 PM
Congratulations Michael! :)

bob forest
2008-03-31, 12:46 PM
George, I can answer a few questions, His elevator was way too sensitive. and he had it on low rate. He said that he had it at 18 degrees, It should be around the 12 degrees to 14 degrees. his ailorons were right on. rudder Ok also. It was just the elevator that was hairy, maybe in time he would get used to it, but for the first flight it was too much. His engine was already run in on another plane, so it ran like clock work. The flight was very impressive. Very fast plane, yet lands like a charm at a very slow speed. big difference from mine. Also the plane is much lighter built. The changes they did are really great.
Bob

Michael V
2008-03-31, 12:51 PM
Thanks again Bob for your help.
Yes Alix it is going to be a fun season this year. To make things even better my wife is really warming up to my hobby.
I got a new Caravan and with all the room inside she wants to come to IMAC shows with me :), alittle camping gear and away we go.

Thanks Greg, I was hoping you could have been there also.
By the way poker night was fun, I split the pot with Paul. Anyway we will fly together soon, well as soon as all this &%!%($?* snow disappears. :)

Yes George it flew just like to thought. Steady and stright.The DA-50 really pulls this plane. I flew it in low rates(recomended rates)I had the elevator set a little high,18deg was to much, I have to tone it down a bit. Tom says 12deg so I will set it up at 12 for the next flight.
I am using a Xoar 23X8 nice prop I can not really comment on it as I am still new to giant scale.
I did not really have to break in the engine as it was the engine in the Extra that I crashed. And it was just a few tanks from being broken in completly.

Thanks Albert, I agree with you. If you look at the pictures above you will see a friend of mine with his plane. I Got 1 more into the hobby :)
I am also thinking if I can show some of this heli guys that you can hover a plane, maybe I can turn them over to the bright side :)

Thanks Isabell, looking forward to flying with you and Ray this season.

This is the greatest hobby :)
Have fun everyone and I hope to see you all at the field soon.

George Bozian
2008-03-31, 07:09 PM
Thank you Michael and Bob for the information.My elevator is also at 18deg I will reduce it to 12deg and will use a 22-8 prop.

Dwight Macdonald
2008-03-31, 09:30 PM
Congrats Michael! I wish you an awesome season with your new plane!

Ron Willoughby
2008-04-01, 02:49 PM
Congrats Michael on your completed build of a great looking aircraft & a successful maiden flight. A fantastic flying season lay ahead. YES Congradulations!

Michael V
2008-06-03, 08:44 PM
Dwight,

I' ll take the 5645's, and if Michael doesn't take the 5945, I'll take that one too.

Thanks

Ronald

Ronald if you want a pair of 5945's I am giving them up.
Let me know

Ronald Longtin
2008-06-03, 10:43 PM
I'll put the 5945's to good use Michael.