PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Shoot

bob forest
2007-11-05, 07:45 PM
We this past sunday I attended a turkey shoot. The turkeys, (old rc models) with old radios are flown over slowly and low, and we shoot them with the potato guns.As you can see in the pictures, they are made of pvc piping about one and a half inch diameter, about 5 feet long, and then a larger pvc tubing at the bottom of about another foot and this part has a screw on cap. on the side is a trigger flint like a bbq. You take the potato, and push it in the tube with your hand, the potato is always bigger that the diameter, so a tight fit. They you have a broom stick and push the potato down into the tube, just before the larger diameter of the tube. Then you spray some right guard underarm spray, close the trap and trigger the flint, and boom the potato leaves the gun at a very high velocity. It took about 30lbs of potatoes to hit the first plane. As you can see both planes were finally hit after a total of 40lbs of potatoes. both these planes will be back in the air next year for the shoot. The blue one was the turkey also last year, and it came back this year. It was shot down twice, first time it was patched with scocth tape and the second time the kid shot it down.But it still landed with engine running. It is hard to believe how much damage they can take and still fly. The shooters pay 5 dollars for the whole time and you get a lot of shots off. Also it included a chili dinner. So a good way for the club to have a ball for a little amount of money.

Eric Marchand
2007-11-05, 08:50 PM
I've made potato guns in the past. They are a blast. For a while now I've been daydreaming about how to combine the two hobbies...I thought we could set up a gun at each end of the pit area and declare any plane flying the no-fly zone fair game...

But this is also good !!! Who's got an old plane ? I don't, I just save the good pieces of all the planes I crash and find and merge them together...

Question : If each shooter pays $5, who get the money pot at the end ?

bob forest
2007-11-05, 09:59 PM
the money paid for all the food and pop, but the also sold 50/50 and the winner got 105 dollars. There is no trophy for the guy who shoots down a plane, just a good hand and a pile of laughs. Plus his pic with the downed turkey.
The picture is showing the fellow pushing down the potato in the gun.

Dwight Macdonald
2007-11-05, 10:33 PM
Sure sounds like a blast!

bob forest
2007-11-06, 09:43 AM
Got two more photos this morning taken by Paul Grenier. As you can see how close the potatoes came in these shots.The shot shoing the plane in a slight dive is the elevator coing off right after it was hit.