PDA

View Full Version : Wildhare CAP 232 Build - Bob Forest

bob forest
2007-11-06, 02:25 PM
Just picked up my winter project. A modified CAP 232 by Wild Hare. Modified in that it is now a mid wing. Tom modified it like his, as it flies much better, and lands slower like the Edge. It will have the FPE 70cc, it has a 91 inch wing span carbon fiber wing tube. Looking forward to putting it together. Will do some lightning mods on it. I have never flown a light plane, will try to do this one light.

Dwight Macdonald
2007-11-06, 10:43 PM
Do you have a special name for a mid wing CAP? ... like ... MAP? ... or M'CAP? ...

bob forest
2007-11-06, 11:27 PM
I like that Dwight. M'Cap, that is what I will call it.

Michael V
2007-11-07, 09:07 AM
Every nice plane Bob.
Are you going to use the FPE70 that is in your Yak?
Can't wait to see the build progress along, when are you going to start building?
I am starting my Edge today.

Kevin Rochon
2007-11-07, 11:11 AM
I guess no more sleep for you until the plane is done?

Kevin :D

isabel
2007-11-07, 12:46 PM
Bob, do you think you will use it for IMAC?

bob forest
2007-11-07, 01:13 PM
That is the reason I got it, for IMAC. Will be using the FPE 70cc for my Yak. will be a winter project, looking at servos and things I want to do to it. Also will install a smoke system. Kevin, I will sleep, as I am not in a hurry to get it done. Have all winter, and still have the Edge, the Yak, the Waco and the Cub. Now repairing the Super Stearman.

stephane.savard
2007-11-07, 02:20 PM
I thought the plane had to be scale in IMAC competition? Making it a mid-wing would no longer have the correct scale outline no?

bob forest
2007-11-07, 02:47 PM
Yes, that is true, but some Caps232 have been modified to mid wing, lots of research and testing going on. Take 5 different Extra's and not one is the same, all have their little changes. Same in RC

Dwight Macdonald
2007-11-07, 09:28 PM
Perhaps you will need to add the word "experimental" to make it scale.

bob forest
2007-11-07, 09:45 PM
On the side of the fuse, you have CAP 232, I will add an E for experimental. Good idea Dwight.

bob forest
2008-02-01, 10:10 PM
Well my muffler arrived from Bisson so now I am back into assembling the CAP 232, as Dwight would call it the E CAP 232.
What I do I CA'd the whole box, and put a wrap of carbon fiber around the box. Then I punched out all 4 blind nuts that are there to hold the cowling with metal bolts. Then I glue pieces of ply to make the piece thicker as you can see in the pic, where the blind nuts were, Then I drill and tap for my nylon bolts. I do not believe in the metal bolt and blind nut system, as they can come loose and create a larger hole with the vibration. But having the larger nylon bolts, srewred in to a wooden block, the vibration does not seem to loosen the bolts. Also after taping the blocks I ca the threads. Also I add one more block, on the top of the cowling. I don't really care if their is a white nylon bolt showing. I want my cowling to be strong, and I have a problem with only having 4 hold downs. I like five and even sometimes six on on the bottom of the cowling which I might do.
So now I have the engine all set up and placed Also added a few decals to the cowling.

bob forest
2008-02-07, 08:31 PM
Well the hatch is now done, got rid of the metal blind nut that they use to hold down the hatch. metal to metal in that area, I am not a fan of. So drilled and tapped, then have the nylon bolt as you can see in the pic. Put in a pilot, also a dash. glued the canopy and then trimmed it with the red electrical tape. Very happy so far with the quality of the ARF.

Dwight Macdonald
2008-02-07, 11:46 PM
Looking great Bob! I've almost got my garage sorted ... you guys are showing me I should get building soon!

Where did you get the carbon fiber cloth Bob! What did you glue it on with!

bob forest
2008-02-08, 07:05 AM
I got it from a member at Ille Perrot. If you need a piece like I am showing on mine. I have enough for you. I put down 30 min epoxy then lay the carbon fiber on top of it very tight, then mixe more and put epoxy over it, then take a spatula and pressure it through the carbon fiber. it comes out pretty strong.

comparf
2008-02-09, 10:13 PM
It is looking great bob

bob forest
2008-03-14, 08:31 AM
It's coming along, now at the balance point, placing the equipment where the plane will balance properly at the CG. I also installed the B&B landing gear reinforcements. Now going to bring the plane to Paul Burrage for some Paul's Graphics. Will be doing that in the next 10 days. plane should weigh about 22 lbs. 91" wingspan, with a 70cc engine that has 34lbs of thrust. So it should fly very well. As you can see it is a modified CAP as it is a mid wing. CAP's are low wing planes. Having done this, it should land much nicer than a low wing and have all the benefits of the EDGE 540 T.
Can't wait for the first flight.
'

beto9
2008-03-14, 10:35 AM
Paul Burrage seems to have become the Messiah of graphics. I have seen some of his creations and they are extraordinary.
I am sure he could (should) capitalize on this and offer his services to the major manufacturers and champion fliers....

bob forest
2008-04-12, 03:31 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/ace1937/Cap232Finished?authkey=h6-0Kpbpdbs Lets see if this works. The finished CAP with all the graphics done by Paul's Graphics.

comparf
2008-04-14, 08:56 AM
It came out great Bob. I cant wait to see it fly. I also want to hear the prop I am thinking of giving Mikes props a try. have you weighed it yet?

bob forest
2008-04-18, 05:10 PM
These are pics of the day, that Dr. David Kozloff president of the Quebec Chapter of the JDRF came over and had his pic taken with the CAP 232. Also the second last and last is Ken Starkey of the MRCC with me. It seems now they would like to have the plane showns at a couple of events. Like the Run for Diabeties, in May and another event in September. Like I told him, if the plane is still around, would be glad to attend.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ace1937/JDRF?authkey=YJT2mMbz2b8

bob forest
2008-04-22, 10:36 PM
Well today was the day. I flew my CAP 232 by Wild Hare, 91". I went to Lacolle and flew with Jean Chevalier. put in 3 flights. She needed only one clic of right trim. Other than that, no problems, Very slow landings. Nice plane to fly. Very happy with it.

dsquire
2008-04-23, 02:29 AM
Hi Bob

Well today was the day. .......

Glad that it was a good day for you and that it flew well. That first flight is always the most anticipated and dreaded. Now with the weather getting nicer you can start to enjoy flying it.:)

Cheers

Don

xed
2008-04-23, 09:25 AM
Congrats Bob, I hope you will enjoy it and get a lot of flying time on it. The color scheme is really appealing...

beto9
2008-04-23, 09:31 AM
I don't know if I envy more your plane or the flying field...

Good show, Bob! Looks like a smoothie!

bob forest
2008-04-25, 10:45 PM
Here is my CAP 232 coming in for a landing today at Napierreville.
Also you can see the JDRF logo very well after the landing.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Bllm-Gc50

bob forest
2008-05-22, 08:58 AM
This coming Sunday, May 25th will be at Agrigon Park in Verdun for the Run for Diabeties. The CAP 232 will be on Display for the event. from 8:30am t'ill 11 am. Will have plane all charged and go flying Sunday afternoon, in St. Marthe.

bob forest
2008-06-01, 10:15 AM
This is a picture taken by Paul Grenier of my CAP coming in for a landing. I now have 20 flights on it, and the trimming is still in the works, but very happy with it.

Dwight Macdonald
2008-06-01, 10:41 PM
Congratulations Bob! It looks like a real nice plane, I hope it will serve you well for a long time to come!

bob forest
2009-02-28, 06:23 PM
I am almost finished repairing the CAP 232 which I stalled last fall. The whole frond end plus about 5 inches behind the main bulkhead was demolished. I let it sit for 3 months and had ideas of how to repair it which I am glad I did not do re the original ideas. Then a couple of weeks ago, it stuck me how to go about it. and voila it is almost done. It will give me another plane in my fleet.The Cowling is just taped on, so it does not line up with the lines, but if place correctly it does. I was also very lucky, the Canopy just flew off and had no damage.