PDA

View Full Version : G10 source?

stephane.savard
2007-11-10, 05:06 PM
I'm looking for a source of G10 and think some of our electronics experts might be able to help me. G10, also known as Garolite, it basically a sheet of fiberglass cloth and epoxy. Very strong stuff.

This week, I bought some copper-clad board from an electronics store, which happens to be a G10 sheet with with one side covered in copper. Turns out that this stuff is exactly what I need for my Fieseler Storch project (to make control horns and hinges), but now I'd like to find the G10 without the copper.

Unfortunately, the electronics store only had either the copper-clad stuff, or the board with thousands of little holes pre-drilled. Anyone know where I could get the bare board locally?

I know of plenty of places to order it across the border, but it would be nice to find it here.

I'm looking for 1/32 and 1/16th thicknesses.

AlixB
2007-11-11, 09:58 AM
Active electronics on Decarie
Addison on Jarry

You can also make nice horns from your own alumunum sheets.

stephane.savard
2007-11-11, 12:37 PM
ActiveComponents on Decarie is where I got the copper-clad board. After some research online it appears that electronics stores simply don't use the non-copper G10 stuff.

I did end up making a test bellcrank out of the copper-clad board I bought at ActiveComponents. Turned out perfect! I had originally made 1/16th plywood bellcranks hardened with thin CA but wasn't happy with it at all. The board is very durable and doesn't bend. My scroll saw blade didn't like it though, the teeth are quite simply gone!

As for the copper, well, I can't see how it'll hurt anything, it's extremely thin.