PDA

View Full Version : Is there really nothing going on?

Andrew Fernie
2013-04-18, 06:48 PM
These forums are too quiet these days. Where is everyone? No projects underway? David, you must have some new monster plane (or ten) to show us. Billy, no new mechanical masterpieces?

I am still fiddling with my multicopters. Flying seems to be under control, so improving the vibration isolation for the cameras, using the mass of the battery to help. That little HoryzonHD camera is great (and a good deal) if you want to put a camera on your plane or heli, but so lite that it follows every little vibration. With my new arrangement I have a solid picture.

Modified the arducopter code and OSD to display true GPS time (if you need to set your watch accurately at the field let me know).

New arducopter firmware supposed to be coming soon to get the loiter radius down more using the accelerometers to detect movement. Last significant change in the load was from early February so it is really settling down.

I want to replace the gell cell battery in my ground station box and am thinking about paralleling some NiMH - about $6 for a 5 cell (6V) 2300mAh from HK, so about $24 for 12V 4600mAh, and no LiPo hassles. Right approach? Other ideas?

Want to try that frsky ppm interface to my quad - TX is converted, so just need to plug it in. Why? I like to fiddle, and really like the idea of going to an open source TX at some point. Why? I can do more fiddling.

Who's next?

Andrew

jan
2013-04-18, 07:29 PM
Here I'm!! I was thinking the same thing, this forum is too quite!

Actually I’m trying to repair a Royal-Air 20T (thanks Michael for the freebie!) and I need help to choose the right glow plug for an OS20. Can it be the O.S. #8 Glow Plug Long Medium Air/Car?
Also the propeller should be a 9x6? And for this kind of engine is it better to use a 4 or 6oz fuel tank?

zorba
2013-04-18, 10:21 PM
I'm very busy here doing alot of things. Converting, converting and fidling.:D

zorba
2013-04-18, 10:22 PM
I'm converting my CS gimbal to a brushless direct drive gimbal.
But I have to stop now cause I am missing some parts.

Is that better?;)

zorba
2013-04-18, 11:07 PM
This is the small CS gimbal max camera weight 600-800gr. I use my NEX5.
Awesome.
BGC_SonyNEX - YouTube

and this one handheld walking through the house:
SimpleBGC with NEX5 handheld - YouTube

Cheers

Andrew Fernie
2013-04-19, 07:55 AM
That's better. It seemed to be a bit late for everyone to go into hibernation.

Is that OS20 a four stroke? Doesn't seem to be much on the web about people's experience with prop sizes, but 9-6 is mentioned a few times. Four strokes do tend to want hotter plugs to make it through the second revolution. The OS #F is the normal one for the bigger four stroked, but not sure about a 20. Anyone else have experience with this engine?

Looks good Bill. Is the gimbal statically balanced so that the motors don't have to work to stay in a position? What are your tricks for working with CF? I am always nervous about the dust when sanding.

Andrew

zorba
2013-04-19, 01:59 PM
Andrew the trick to the brushless direct drive system is balance.
The tilt, roll and pan have to be balanced 150%.
If you move the gimbal in any direction the camera shoyld stay where it is. If it changes position then you have to rebalance.

And remember if you change cameras or lenses you have to do the thing all over again.
On my NEX I attached the HDMI cable and it tilted to the left.

So, anything you add to it you have to re-balance.
The motors have no torque at all just precision.

Cheers
Will keep you posted.
Bill

Ricardo
2013-04-19, 04:56 PM
Jan,

I remember using the #8 on a 0.25FP 2 stroke
http://www.osengines.com/glowplugs/

I would suggest the APC 8x4 for the 20FP 2 stroke. Check the RPM to make sure its is within the engine limits.

I suggest the 6oz tank.

Cheers!

zorba
2013-04-20, 11:33 PM
Andrew enjoy this....
https://plus.google.com/photos/112561318263075306652/albums/5869134127839334977?gpsrc=gplp0&partnerid=gplp0#photos/112561318263075306652/albums/5869134127839334977?gpsrc=gplp0&partnerid=gplp0

Andrew Fernie
2013-04-21, 10:14 PM
Looks great Bill. We may be in the era of the ARF, but you show that there are still some craftsmen left.

Is it for you, or are you making it for someone?

Andrew

zorba
2013-04-22, 06:36 AM
This one is mine but alot of guys on the freefly forum and RCG are interested to buy the pieces to make their own.

Bill

jan
2013-04-22, 04:56 PM
That's better. It seemed to be a bit late for everyone to go into hibernation.

Is that OS20 a four stroke? Doesn't seem to be much on the web about people's experience with prop sizes, but 9-6 is mentioned a few times. Four strokes do tend to want hotter plugs to make it through the second revolution. The OS #F is the normal one for the bigger four stroked, but not sure about a 20. Anyone else have experience with this engine?

Looks good Bill. Is the gimbal statically balanced so that the motors don't have to work to stay in a position? What are your tricks for working with CF? I am always nervous about the dust when sanding.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I don’t know :o I mean to my knowledge a 4 stroke have an intake and an exhaust valve on the cylinder head? I also found few times 9x6 ;)

thanks

briankizner
2013-04-22, 05:54 PM
I am guessing you have an OS two stroke. There several models of these around. Depending on the model year and whether it has shaft bearings or not, it may be an FS, FSR, FP, or LA. All run well and are reliable . The non-bearing FP and LA have simple air-bleed carburetors and are a bit less powerful than the others which have bearings and more complex two needle carburetors. A 9-6 prop would be fine on any of these motors. Do a quick web search for images of two and four stroke model airplane engines and you will easily recognize what you have .

briankizner
2013-04-22, 06:01 PM
I forgot to say that the OS 8 is the best plug for any of the OS two strokes. And, now that I've reread this thread , I realize I am probably wrong in thinking you have a two stroke. All the motors I'm talking about are .25, not .20.

Andrew Fernie
2013-04-22, 06:17 PM
I forgot to say that the OS 8 is the best plug for any of the OS two strokes. And, now that I've reread this thread , I realize I am probably wrong in thinking you have a two stroke. All the motors I'm talking about are .25, not .20.

That's what I thought Brian. I could find lots of 25 size 2 stroke (and I had one in a Corospit), but the only 20 I found was a 4 stroke. Must be tiny little valves, and can't make much noise!

Andrew

zorba
2013-04-22, 08:59 PM
Well did some more fidlling today while waiting for the parts from QC. They are somewhere in Canada eh?
Anyway. I added some 12.5mm standoffs under the camera plate, that lifted the camera about 1/2" off the crossbar to get a better CG and balance it. Also I have enough clearance to move the camera forward.

I moved the PMU next to it but the cable now is a bit short.
Maybe I'll move it to the other side or move the controller closer.
I figured out how to get the 3 axis working just have to decide how to mount the motor.
So, It looks like I have to use two controllers for now till Alexmos releases the next board.

Bill

zorba
2013-04-22, 09:28 PM
Here's a small video that I just made with a handheld gimbal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN7cOv4YLQ0&feature=youtu.be

Kevin Rochon
2013-04-23, 09:07 PM
Hey Billy you have them all over the place, do you have an attacement for passing the vacuum cleaner:D

BTW is that the head of an ex:eek:

zorba
2013-04-23, 09:15 PM
why do you recognize her?

Andrew Fernie
2013-04-23, 09:37 PM
Well did some more fiddling today while waiting for the parts from QC.

That's it Bill - you admit to fiddling also! This is a hobby, so no need for a reason to do anything as long as we enjoy it.

Andrew

zorba
2013-04-25, 08:35 PM
She is done (for now) enjoy

Bill

Sempai-mj
2013-04-25, 08:40 PM
Nice one Billy, when are going to demo it for us?

zorba
2013-04-25, 10:16 PM
When warm weather gets here.

Sempai-mj
2013-04-25, 10:27 PM
It's warmer now.

Andrew Fernie
2013-04-26, 12:10 PM
Sunday sounds like it will be very nice...

Sempai-mj
2013-04-26, 12:15 PM
If it's warm, Sunny and little wind on Sunday, I'm going to maiden my WACO.

fbrunet1957
2013-04-27, 09:49 PM
I have two maindens lined-up for sunday too.

zorba
2013-05-08, 08:31 PM
A new addition to the package:

zorba
2013-05-16, 08:47 PM
Almost there guys, now you know why O put the plane a side. got to finish that one first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNqVdyRX_Rk&feature=youtu.be

David Janashvili
2013-05-17, 09:09 PM
These forums are too quiet these days. Where is everyone? No projects underway? David, you must have some new monster plane (or ten) to show us. Billy, no new mechanical masterpieces?

I am still fiddling with my multicopters. Flying seems to be under control, so improving the vibration isolation for the cameras, using the mass of the battery to help. That little HoryzonHD camera is great (and a good deal) if you want to put a camera on your plane or heli, but so lite that it follows every little vibration. With my new arrangement I have a solid picture.

Modified the arducopter code and OSD to display true GPS time (if you need to set your watch accurately at the field let me know).

New arducopter firmware supposed to be coming soon to get the loiter radius down more using the accelerometers to detect movement. Last significant change in the load was from early February so it is really settling down.

I want to replace the gell cell battery in my ground station box and am thinking about paralleling some NiMH - about $6 for a 5 cell (6V) 2300mAh from HK, so about $24 for 12V 4600mAh, and no LiPo hassles. Right approach? Other ideas?

Want to try that frsky ppm interface to my quad - TX is converted, so just need to plug it in. Why? I like to fiddle, and really like the idea of going to an open source TX at some point. Why? I can do more fiddling.

Who's next?

Andrew

Hi Guys,
My New Projects,
1. Hangar 9 Decathlon 100CC RTF
2. Wilga PZL 104 111CC almost ready
3 Sunday I will fly my 46% Hangar 9 10-300 Ultimate and Decathlon???

zorba
2013-06-15, 04:06 PM
Here's the latest gedget. Cinestar brushless hybrid gimbal with the Canon 6D on board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP2MSzOmr0M&feature=youtu.be

Eladio
2013-06-15, 04:22 PM
Hey Bill , wen are we going to see this thing in Action ??
Looks like you did a hell of a job !!
Thanks ! :)