PDA

View Full Version : Checklist (Trainers) – After Crash Repairs (Newbies)

Violets
2013-10-14, 03:26 PM
So I’ve had my share of major crashes trying to earn my solo, so I thought this might help some of you who may prefer repairs over buying a new kit. I followed through on most of them, but some I did not think of and cost me another mishap. Still love my nitros, and I have enough repairs this winter and another (ARF) to assemble (my first four-stroke); so I may not be able to do a second kit build as planned :sad: ?
Feel free to add anything I may have missed.
Hope this help…

1) After major wing repairs; make sure you have the right dihedral measurement (see manual) before re-joining them and are balanced before recovering.
2) No damage to one-piece wing; add some glass to the btm joint for extra insurance.
3) Before reattaching your elevator and rudder ensure they’re aligned, straight and true as per the manual.
4) Release all push-rods and ensure all your servos are centered and servo arms are tightly seated (replacements arms are cheap).
5) Inspect pushrod, end connectors and horns, replace as required.
6) Check your servo tray it may have come loose or will; add a bead of epoxy and/or a brace as insurance.
7) Reset your control throws.
8) No damage to the firewall; be sure it’s not loose, add a little epoxy to be on the safe side.
9) Check to see if all your engine mount, and muffler screws have not come loose (don’t forget the thread-lock).
10) Good time to replace your fuel lines and see if your tank is secure.
11) Re-set throttle control and throttle cut.
12) Inspect prop; replace and/or tighten if required.
13) Check landing gear, wheels and collars, your nose steering linkage may have come loose.
14) Patch any rips or tears in the covering.
15) RECHECK YOUR CG: ADD OR REMOVE WEIGHT.
16) After repairs are completed, treat your first flight as a maiden, have an instructor inspect repairs and take her up!

Sempai-mj
2013-10-14, 07:43 PM
Good advice !
:)

Kevin Rochon
2013-10-14, 08:02 PM
#10 if not replacing tubing inside the tank make sure the clunk is moving freely and not stuck on the front end.