PDA

View Full Version : Skis

Andrew Fernie
2007-12-23, 04:14 PM
I needed a pair of skis for my Eflite Extra 260 (small electric), so headed off to Reno-depot for supplies.

The ski material is cut fom a PVC gutter, then the tip is softened with a heat gun and formed around a paint can. The gutters come in 10' lengths for less than $5, so I have lots left for the next time - it will get thrown out because it is clogging up the garage before I run out.

The stiffening piece and axle mount is cut from aluminum angle and pop-riveted to the ski. I think that the aluminum was about $7 and I have enough left for a couple of more sets.

Springs were about $1.50 each. Elastic bands would also work, but make sure that you replace them occasionally as the ruber perishes.

So about $15 for the material, and probably only about $7 per set if you buy more springs and make a few sets to use up the aluminum.

I will try some bigger ones during the holidays - the gutter can make skis about 3.25" wide with a flange along both sides for stiffening.

Andrew

beto9
2007-12-23, 05:12 PM
Very good... ingenious...
Where did you get the springs? I am trying to rig a better suspension system for my store bought (auuuuugh!) skis!

Eric Marchand
2007-12-23, 05:28 PM
I am going to experiment with Lego shocks for the springs, but if you can afford the extra weight, I'm sure shocks from an RC buggy wouldn't be too hard to fit.

Dwight Macdonald
2007-12-23, 05:41 PM
Here is a neat idea using tie wraps and fuel tubing used for a large model tail wheel ... I suppose it could also be used for ski suspension ...

bob forest
2007-12-23, 07:49 PM
Andrew, how are you going to keep the snow from melting in the gym. These skis are for your small indoor electric. I think it is another great idea and I am sure no other club has indor skiing for electics.
Wishing all of you a very Mery Christmas.
Bob

Andrew Fernie
2007-12-23, 08:18 PM
Very good... ingenious...
Where did you get the springs? I am trying to rig a better suspension system for my store bought (auuuuugh!) skis!

Albert,

The springs came from Reno Depot also. I bought the small ones for the Eflite, and some larger ones for my 27% Extra. Go to the section that has the bins for screws and other small parts and look for the springs.

Note that the string goes through the spring so that it limits how far the spring can be stretched.

Andrew

Andrew Fernie
2007-12-23, 08:22 PM
Andrew, how are you going to keep the snow from melting in the gym. These skis are for your small indoor electric. I think it is another great idea and I am sure no other club has indor skiing for electics.
Wishing all of you a very Mery Christmas.
Bob

Bob,

This is an outdoor plane. Small, but alot of fun. I almost got Alix to buy one to take to Mexico.

My guess is that it really doesn't much matter what you use on an indoor plane. If it keeps the prop clear of the ground it is fine.

Andrew

Andrew Fernie
2008-01-21, 08:46 PM
Now for the bigger version.

These ones are 14.5" long by 3.25" wide. Again, the material is from Reno-Depot. PVC gutter for the skis, 1" aluminum square section for the mounts. The side flange on the skis is already built into the gutter, I just had to cut the sides off and leave about 3/8". I then shaped a piece of 2 by 4 to form the tip, softened the material with a heat gun, and stretched it over the 2 by 4. Reno depot springs. I had some problems with the pair I made last year with a knot coming undone in a piece of string so this time I used thin plastic coated steel cable and crimped the ends.

My guess is that the material is worth about $10 -$12(it cost me more, but I have lots left for another couple of pairs).

Andrew

Michael V
2008-01-22, 12:36 PM
Very Cool!
Can you set me up with a pair?
I am close to finishing my Edge and I have not even thought about the skies for it.

Andrew Fernie
2008-01-22, 08:27 PM
I will try my pair first. If they hold up I will try to make a couple of more pairs.

Andrew