PDA

View Full Version : Hobbyking- TUR 9XR-need advice/link please

xtopher
2013-12-03, 10:26 AM
Hi,
I finally made my mind, can someone help me with a good link on hobbyking for a nice package for the module and receiver with telemetry. I don't know which one to buy

Thanks for your quick reply

Eladio
2013-12-03, 01:55 PM
Hi,
I finally made my mind, can someone help me with a good link on hobbyking for a nice package for the module and receiver with telemetry. I don't know which one to buy

Thanks for your quick reply

I saw guys at the Club using this Model and they were very happy !!
Good luck !!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10343__Quanum_2_4Ghz_Telemetry_System_Volt_Amp_T emp_mAh_V3_0.html

Andrew Fernie
2013-12-03, 06:40 PM
The Quanum unit from HK is great. Highly recommended if you fly electric models.

The flexible antenna http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10896 for $4.95 is a good add-on. The current sensor is also nice (current usage is integrated to estimate battery usage), but the basic battery cell measurement is the main thing to prevent you killing your LiPo.

Andrew

Kevin Rochon
2013-12-03, 08:09 PM
I use it on my AJSlick, I've tried both the normal antenna and the flexible on about the same reception. I do lose the reception time to time but I had my ant. straight up I should put it sideways(like Andrew was explaining at the AGM).

xtopher
2013-12-03, 08:51 PM
Thanks for your advice...

Waiting for Marc and Gilles to have more info.

GleM
2013-12-04, 10:56 PM
I can talk about what Marc and I are using. Since you mention that you have decided to buy a 9xr, you need first to add both a transmission module and a receiver.

The following transmitter/receiver combo is a good value:
"FrSky DF 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Module & RX"
which includes both a DJT transmission module and a D8R-II plus (8 channels) receiver

To install the openTX firmware on the radio and to be able to share global and model configurations with us, you will need to buy an AVR programmer board such as "USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL processors". It is important to have a 10pin to 6pin cable/adapter because the 9xr has a 6pin plug. Furthermore, with this you can use the free CompanionTx radio simulator on PC to program and test the radio configuration; that is really cool.

To monitor the battery voltage on the plane, you will also need:
"FrSky Battery Voltage Sensor - FrSky Telemetry System"
which is connected to both the battery and the receiver on the plane.

To view the battery voltage, receiver voltage, and signal strength values at the radio side you will need either:

1) "FrSky FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen" and some velcro to attach the small screen to the radio. (I recommend this option).
OR
2) Some inexpensive components and perform some soldering inside both the 9xr and the transmitter module to display the values directly on the 9xr radio LCD screen. You can damage your radio trying option 2. I have not tried that and I personally do not recommend it unless you are very comfortable cutting traces and un-soldering small surface mount electronic components.

The recently released standalone transmitter module which can be found on the new Taranis radio can also be installed on the 9xr but I have no experience with it and I can not provide you with info on sensors, receivers, and telemetry screens compatibility.

Including yours, as far as I know, there will now be four 9xr, one Taranis and thus five radios running openTX at the club. This is slowly growing, there were none a few months ago. If some members, other that those I already met, are using openTX I would be very happy to know.

Note: All products description I mentioned above which are between double quotes (i.e. "xxxxx") can be used to locate products on the HK website.

bluebird_ca
2013-12-06, 08:34 AM
Chris,

I have a spare USBasp AVR Programming Device if you want it let me know

Marc:p:)

xtopher
2013-12-08, 09:34 PM
Hi Marc,
I do have one I bought for kk board:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVR-USB-USBasp-ISP-PRGMR-Programmer-For-KK-Multicopter-Control-Board-/251046693108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a738c88f4

I don't know if it will work.

So how much you 're selling yours, and does the unit comes with the cable?
Is it complete?

Hi guys I want to thank you for your advice. I run through other module and found that the frsky is good for me. compared to the other make, this one goes above 1.5km range.

thanks again

bluebird_ca
2013-12-09, 11:34 AM
What you got should work, as long as you have a 6 pin connection, if not, you can get mine for 6.00 completed with cable, and the 6 pin connector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USBASP-USBISP-AVR-Programmer-USB-10-Pin-Convert-to-Standard-6Pin-Adapter-Board-/180980285082?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:1120

Marc:):)

xtopher
2013-12-09, 03:36 PM
Ok I'll let you know. If I have to buy, it will be definitely from you.
Thanks for the offer. Let's keep that pending till I have the tx in hand.

Hmm; do I need to buy this cable as well;
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16665__FrSky_USB_Cable.html

bluebird_ca
2013-12-09, 04:22 PM
No i don't think you need this type of cable

Marc:):)

GleM
2013-12-10, 06:37 AM
Ok I'll let you know. If I have to buy, it will be definitely from you.
Thanks for the offer. Let's keep that pending till I have the tx in hand.

Hmm; do I need to buy this cable as well;
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16665__FrSky_USB_Cable.html

Marc is right. You don't need this cable. It is only useful to upgrade receiver and telemetry screen firmware. It is required if you want to use all 8 channels in CPPM mode, a mode that is available on some FrSky receivers (i.e. if you want to use only one 3-wire cable to connect for example a D4R-II receiver to a flight control board on a quadcopter).

The cable is in fact an FTDI cable on which they reversed the polarity of some signals. So it is only compatible with FrSKy hardware.

In any case, I have this cable which I used only once so far and you could use mine if you ever need it.