PDA

View Full Version : In my mailbox!

beto9
2008-02-15, 09:55 AM
Oh my! Look what I found! I wonder what is inside.... No markings....

bob forest
2008-02-15, 10:16 AM
Be careful when you open it. It could be a member that was frozen at the WIMAC field and nobody knew it. He could be in dry ice. Get rid of the body, but keep the transmitter.Especially if it is a 2.4 which in all possiblilities would mean a non member, stealing some flight time at our field. It is a good thing, your name is posted at the trans box, for in case of lost articles.

xed
2008-02-15, 10:24 AM
This looks Yakky to me.... Don't use the transmitter if it is a 2.4GHz FASST (controls everybody elses receiver) or 2.4GHz XPS (doesn't hop).

Speaking of which, Futaba has a 10CAP (2.4GHz - module based) is coming out soon, replacing 9CAP.

stephane.savard
2008-02-15, 10:42 AM
That box looks a bit big for a kit. It might be one of those new fangled rip-offs - you open your kit box and find out some other dude already has half built the thing using a hot glue gun!

If that's the case, send it back to wherever you got it and demand a real kit!

Michael V
2008-02-15, 12:35 PM
I'm guessing it is a big box of chocolates from your girlfriends!:)

beto9
2008-02-15, 01:04 PM
Yeah.... they all got together and made me a Valentines present.... and I also believe in Santa Claus!

BARBERIK
2008-02-15, 01:04 PM
It's Wanda the inflatible doll.:D

beto9
2008-02-15, 01:52 PM
Well, I have a guess... it is a "Fly now, don't bother building... the Chinese are quite good at it..."
Nudge, nudge, blink, blink.....

JimmyG
2008-02-15, 02:24 PM
A flying inflatable doll! Wow that’s when a nice stable hover will sure come in handy. :D :D

beto9
2008-02-15, 02:36 PM
... and gues what kind of propulsion it has? You take out the stopper and phhhhffftttt it goes.....

stephane.savard
2008-02-15, 04:54 PM
I thought your 25 size spitfire was chinese made.. and what happened to that? :)

beto9
2008-02-15, 05:16 PM
Well, the wing separated in flight... the supplier honored the warranty and is ready to fly next summer...
Would you be able to claim to Top Flite any mishap? You see, you will have to able to prove that it was not the plans, not the parts, not the glue, not the builder, not the pins, not the building surface, not the humidity, not the... OK, that's enough... get my drift?
The quality of the build and the parts supplied and the little left you have to do is excellent but... but... I understand you enjoying building like that... my last was the Goldberg Extra 300. Now I don't have the patience.
By the way.... you will fiberglass and paint the Spit... It will look gorgeous, I know but... watch the weight! Bricks do not take off, fly or land very well....
I hope to see it soon, ready to fly....

beto9
2008-02-15, 05:20 PM
By the way... I peeked inside the box... I can rest assured is NOT an helicopter....
More to come....

Xed: that Futaba radio is going to eat into the 12F and 14MZ sales... I guess they want to keep the leadership... I wonder when we will have the specs... You lucky the 12FG was not in stock when you ordered...

bob forest
2008-02-15, 06:57 PM
Now, let's get serious. Back to the inflatable doll. Is she good looking at least.

stephane.savard
2008-02-15, 07:11 PM
I know I know, I can very well remember the Bronco, thank you very much :D

So you gonna show us the contents of that box anytime soon? (even if it's a prefab job?) :)

Safety First
2008-02-16, 04:23 AM
It's an electric ducted fan carbon fiber walker with a safety harness and a remote gyro controled sun blocker.
Good idea! Now Alberto you will be able to see us flying helicopter standing...

Eric Marchand
2008-02-16, 07:09 AM
Bricks CAN fly !!!! It's just a question of horsepower !!!

:p

beto9
2008-02-16, 10:07 AM
Thank you for your interest in my NEW flying machine....
I could sense the envy emanations coming from all quarters...
I want to post a few more pics of it to satisfy your interest.

Here is a dramatic detail of the pushrods. As you can see, they are straight and true. Their job is to translate the servo arms motions to the control horns located in the movable control surfaces. This provided the control horns are attached to the control surface... if not, well, why put a servo?

The next is a view of the engine mounts. Nothing dramatic here but they fill a very important role: the engine pulls the engine mounts and these, in turn, pull the whole plane in the same direction. Ingenious and simple.

Next, the wheels. Notice the roundness! Without them the plane would sit like a crate of oranges in the tarmac, no matter how hard the engine would pull in the engine mounts and these in the whole plane.

Now we get to the ball links. Interesting name. I bet the engineer who invented them took longer to find a name than patenting them. They translate motions this way when pushed that way. If they let go... then... I would like to find the engineer who invented them!

To give you a good impresion of how colorful the whole is, a detail of the cowling....

beto9
2008-02-16, 10:12 AM
Taaaa daaaa.... the whole enchilada...

Gentleman, my new flying machine in all its glorious parts:

bob forest
2008-02-16, 10:45 AM
WOW, what an airplane. It is amazing that they can make them that small now. Winter is almost over for indoor, you better get her finished so that we can see that thing fly. What is the wingspan on that. 2" can't be more than that. I am glad you put the magnifying glasses on the wheels and all that other stuff. So the box you first showed, is really the size of a matchbox.
Congrats, Albert, you had us all fooled.

Jeremy Cartlidge
2008-02-16, 11:18 AM
Yak, Yak, Yak?

stephane.savard
2008-02-16, 11:21 AM
Hopefully a Yak-9, and not yet another of those cookie-cutter lookalike aerobatic planes :D

Unfortunately, it seems the colors of that cowl doesn't point towards a beautiful Yak-9.

Safety First
2008-02-16, 11:30 AM
May be Yak 54 ? .50 engine

Dwight Macdonald
2008-02-16, 11:34 AM
Well, I have a guess... it is a "Fly now, don't bother building... the Chinese are quite good at it..."
Nudge, nudge, blink, blink.....

Great quote Albert! Nice counter to Stephane's! One of us should let him have a little stick time on one of these things some day so he gets the feel of how much better they fly when you don't build them yourself ... ;)

Ronald Longtin
2008-02-16, 11:40 AM
Are you planning to use your .91 2-cycle or a bigger 4-cycle?

Dwight Macdonald
2008-02-16, 11:52 AM
On second thought ... don't let Stephane ever try flying one of these ... or his awesome kit/scratch build threads may stop!

stephane.savard
2008-02-16, 01:10 PM
Well, if I ever try aerobatics, I'll probably buy an ARF (and hide my head under a paper bag :D ) 'cause if I ever built one myself, I'd add too many details and it would end up much like Eric's flying brick :)

beto9
2008-02-16, 01:43 PM
I cannot keep you wondering for that long... I have a heart, somewhere....
This is the plane. Aeroworks QB YAK .90 - 1.20
One of the reasons for the success of Aeroworks is that they have the QB (Quick Build) scheme. All surfaces are hinged and glued. Control horns holes are already drilled. Cowl is pre-installed in the fuse and drilled, etc, etc, etc. You don't have to buy anything, rien, nada... They even include a 1/2 roll of clear Monokote to seal the hinges gap.
There is a huge thread in RCU about this plane (and also about Aeroworks quality) with more than 1100 entries. Everyone raving about it.
I consider it a perfect size plane.... Not too big, not too small.....

Ah, yes... another reason for the success is that they send the very pretty girl for your first flight to be sure you are trimmed OK (and also the plane!)

beto9
2008-02-16, 01:45 PM
... and yes, Eric, bricks may be able to fly but can they loop and roll?:D

BARBERIK
2008-02-16, 02:08 PM
WOW! That Wanda doll looks real,where can I get one.

stephane.savard
2008-02-16, 02:28 PM
I find the lady the plane is holding to be much more interesting to look at :D

beto9
2008-02-16, 05:24 PM
Barberik: to get that doll you have to wait until Aeroworks starts selling helicopters..
Stephane: same opinion here, only reason I bought the plane....

All of you guys: I don't think you want to know anything further about this plane... it will be boring to tell you how little I had to do: no sanding, no painting, no fussing about pieces that do not match, no wondering about too much weight, no glued fingers... Stephane, please keep your thread coming.... building a plane from sticks is entertainig if somebody else (a Chinemse?) does it!

Eric Marchand
2008-02-16, 06:27 PM
Never mind the plane, and the girl, where can we get an open field like that ?

Jeremy Cartlidge
2008-02-16, 11:44 PM
Albert,

Stephane will expect you to have a realistic scale pilot. This is what Yak-54 pilots look like.

http://www.patrouille-tranchant.com/photos/pilotes/th_JA8U7968.JPG

mporlier
2008-03-05, 04:47 PM
Watch for the landing gear. Lots of posts saying it is on the week side.

beto9
2008-03-05, 05:00 PM
Thank you Marc... one of the points that many people in RCU stresses: landing gear bloc is weak. And mine is no exception, is not properly glued to the back former. So I am planning to reinforce it with carbon fiber and expoxy or CA hinge material and CA. Will be experimenting about this last before I decide. Unfortunately the block cannot be accessed by the inside, there is already a piece of wood to hold the tank....
I am fitting it with an OS 1.20 AX
Do you have it? Do you like it? Where do you fly?

Dwight Macdonald
2008-03-05, 05:05 PM
What is the expected flying weight Albert?

beto9
2008-03-05, 05:38 PM
Dwight, I had to go to the Aeroworks site to find out... It is expected to be 9 to 10 lbs. I assume it will be on the lesser side since I am using a 2C engine... without the regular muffler, I will fit it with a Bison Pitts style muffler. I like their throaty sound.... and the cannibalism on the cowl is kept to a minimum....

I am doing one screw per day to make this project last... they do not joke when they say is a QB (Quick Built). Except the rudder all surfaces are hinge-glued, control horns locations pre-drilled, everything included but the engine and the fuel... it even has a half roll of clear Kote to close the hinges gap....

Today I went overboard and installed the pull-pull in the rudder... took me (only) 25 minutes.... with soldering involved.... and a finger burn included!

I guess if you have only one plane and crash it (god forbid) on Monday you can be back in the air on Saturday, UPS-Fedex-Purolator-USPS-CanadaPost cooperating....:D

xed
2008-03-05, 06:26 PM
... :nopix: ...

Eric Marchand
2008-03-05, 06:32 PM
Landing gear block : Remember not to add excess material to beef it up, better take the time and engineer the strenght into it. Look at the Extra 300 !

Pics ?

zorba
2008-03-05, 09:18 PM
Say Albert, What is the price range of this bird?
And is this the Yak 54?

Bill

beto9
2008-03-06, 09:12 AM
Around $400... Be careful if you buy it direct because Aeroworks will only ship UPS because of the size and then UPS will ding you a lot for negotiating Canadian Customs... I found the best way to ship from the US is US Postal Service.... It goes directly to Canada Post and they may or may not refer the shipment to Canada Customs....
Are you planning to come from the dark side? We are a less cyclic or hover crowd, we just crash and that's it!
Yes, it's the Yak 54 .90-1.20 size...

For those that are salivating for photographs... just wait... I am doing a little (very) a day to make it last... when is ready you will have one minus the pretty girl plus a ferocious dog....

Sunfly
2008-03-06, 09:20 AM
Nice airplane Albert.
Summer is coming, I promise !

beto9
2008-03-06, 04:52 PM
Say Albert, What is the price range of this bird?
And is this the Yak 54?

Bill

I forgot to say... If you don't have experience with planes this is definiteviley NOT the plane to start.... And if you have some... same!:D

zorba
2008-03-06, 09:08 PM
No Albert I'm not coming out from the "DARK SIDE".
I use to fly the Cessna 182 w/ 4c engine, now I want to finish building my Canadair CL-415.
But I like the idea of QB.
Great Hobbies has it also and there's no Customs.
$469.00 CND.
I think is the same 72" span?

beto9
2008-03-28, 04:23 PM
:nopix:

Here it goes, guys....
Dedicated to these guys::4ERIK:

Safety First
2008-03-28, 04:40 PM
It's avery nice aircraft but where is the main rotor? It's really a great ARF! Abasolulty ridiculous flying device.

beto9
2008-03-28, 04:43 PM
Is in the front... this thing goes forward, not up and down like an elevator...

I checked the date I initiated this thread, the day I received the plane. Was mid February... I tried not to rush the build because ther winter was looking long but the plane is so well put together, everything matches to the millimeter, holes drilled, hinges glued, etc. that even with my trying to do 3 screws a day, here it is, practically finished... A few details but this thing could roar to life as soon as the weather is OK... sometimes in May 2009....

Now, really, I only have to worry and get anxious and deadly stressed about its first flight... oh god, why did I get into this hobby?

Ronald Longtin
2008-03-28, 04:48 PM
It might not shake like a heli, but I'm sure that your knees will more than compensate with a tune of their own for the maiden flight. It looks divine Alberto.

AlixB
2008-03-28, 06:41 PM
Now that I have seen this beauty, I am definetly moving in with Alberto!
Menage a quatre !

Dwight Macdonald
2008-03-28, 10:11 PM
Awesome Albert! Can't wait to see you fly it!

xed
2008-03-28, 11:27 PM
Looks great Albert, I'm sure you will enjoy it...

Michael V
2008-03-29, 08:41 AM
Hey Albert
Very nice, looking forward to seeing it in the air.
:)

wawapilot
2008-03-29, 03:53 PM
Beautiful flying machine Albert. Will be exciting.
But, wait a minute....what is this unmarked box that my girlfriend just gave me??????hmmm.....in a dark dark package...hmmmm..too small to be something like Alberts..hmmm. I wonder whats in it?
Has to be a flying machine of sorts..hmmm

wawapilot
2008-03-29, 05:38 PM
A total surprise to me. A flying thing well equiped and rtf.
Its not my birthday...hmmm but hers is coming soon hmm

wawapilot
2008-03-30, 06:20 AM
quite a thrill

beto9
2008-03-30, 10:57 AM
Wow! Congrats... nice looking bird... even if it is a heli...:D

wawapilot
2008-03-30, 06:50 PM
Thanks albert. there must have been action at wimac today it was beautiful out. I fly my mutt into a snowbank, then the heli down at the school yard.
It climbs really high, but a little wind takes it a long way. Fun in the sun.