PDA

View Full Version : Engine Breakin During Fall

ChrisPol
2015-11-11, 08:33 AM
I am looking to change one of my engines, but am wondering about the heat required during break-in, does it make a difference summer/fall?

Looking to replace a 55ax with a 10gx gas

Sempai-mj
2015-11-11, 08:55 AM
My opinion, the best way to break it in is to fly it and increase throttle to high for about 45 seconds and lower it for about the same. Don't worry about the cold unless it's -20 etc..

Below find the official advice from Horizon Hobby.

Breaking in the engine is best accomplished while flying. This is to ensure that it is heated and cooled more rapidly than is possible on the bench.

If you perform the break-in on the bench, it is best to have an infrared thermometer or a temperature sensor on the cylinder head. Perform the break-in in much the same way as on the airplane. Watch the temperatures closely and vary the throttle between idle and full throttle. Keep the engine at full throttle long enough for it to reach ~240F and then reduce it to idle long enough to bring the temperature below ~180F. This is the basic method that the Evolution engine team uses to break-in these engines during testing.

ChrisPol
2015-11-11, 09:53 AM
Thanks I didn't see the bench break in info, will do it that way. (when the wife is not home)