PDA

View Full Version : For those that have not seen me fly

bob forest
2015-11-12, 04:57 PM
Hi guys, was out last Friday at our club MRCC, winds about 20km,sunny and cool. Had my 53 year old Taylor Craft 108" wing span with a OS 1.08. It is now a really good flyer since I changed the engine an OS .91, the plane was always close to a stall on take off. Now it takes off in 10 feet. In the high winds it is a hand full, but still fun to fly.
here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKhx6KRU_k8&feature=youtu.be

Reason I posted the video, has been a long time since I visited WIMAC, will definitely try next year. By the way, I tell everybody that WIMAC has without a doubt the best web site of any club in Canada. I really enjoyed Kevin's repair thread, I cannot believe the work you did on that Big Cub, the plane ended as good as new.
I also forgot to mention, I have not been flying IMAC since about 4 years now. Now just flying my old scale planes. I guess age catches up to you, but I am still having a great time. My winter project is a new Aeroworks Sports Cub 110' wingspan with a 50cc gas engine, so looking forward to the spring.

beto9
2015-11-12, 06:06 PM
Bob, what would be this hobby if you are not around?
Nice to hear from you, make a point to visit us soon. We fly in winter, you know?

Sempai-mj
2015-11-12, 07:30 PM
Hi Bob,
Slap some skis on that bad boy and visit us when the snow flys.
Don't forget we winterize our sun shelter for winter and is equipped with heaters, coffee and fellow winter crazy flyers. :D

Kevin Rochon
2015-11-12, 08:34 PM
Hey Bob thanks I'm happy you enjoy my threads, I'm happy the repairs are over(for now who knows in this business:rolleyes:)

Looking forward to see a build thread from you on that Aeroworks Cub.

bob forest
2015-11-13, 08:20 AM
Re putting skis, I might just do that. Kevin and I go back many winters ago and had a ball flying in the winter. I had my J3 Cub 1/4 scale which went down a couple of weeks ago, as it was 43 years old and a metal part that the struts bolted on to finally gave away and the wing folded in the air, and down she came, as the wood was so old and brittle not much of it was left. It owed me nothing, and I have many good memories of it.
These pics are of me starting the engine, leaving for my last flight. The result of the metal part under the fuse that let go, and luckily the ground was very soft, no damage to engine and the radio. It had the OS 1.08 which I put into the Taylor. That is part of our sport, things happen and we keep going.

Burning Head
2015-11-13, 08:23 AM
Nice video Bob:) don't wait and renew your Wimac passport now...

Kevin Rochon
2015-11-13, 07:06 PM
Did you say it was your last flight, at the field, you know that's a no no! You always have to say "I'll have another flight"

May it "rest in pieces";)

Sempai-mj
2015-11-13, 07:12 PM
Did you say it was your last flight, at the field, you know that a no no! You always have to say "I'll have another flight"

May it "rest in pieces";)

Yes, right up there just one last flight before I go. :eek:
Better to pack it up and fly another time.

bob forest
2015-11-13, 09:07 PM
What I meant it was the last flight of that plane, I had planned for another 2 or 3 flights. I had two under my belt for that morning and the day had only started. The lesson learnt, maintenance. check de plane for wear.

Sempai-mj
2015-11-14, 06:26 AM
Question Bob,
Did you know Peter Cowper?

bob forest
2015-11-14, 08:24 AM
That name does not ring a bell. but I would have to know a little more so that it can bring back some memories. Like was he in a RC Club pre 1977 the year I gave it up and came back in 2002, Pre 77 I was in the MRCC Club in St. Clet. and pre 1961 we flew in St. Genevie just west of St. Charles off Gouin behind a farmers Barn. We had a 50 foot diameter circle in crushed stones, as we only did hand launches as we had one and two channel radios with escapments. rudder only, and the ones with more money had rudder and elevator, we flew until ran out of gas. The DeBolt Champion was the popular plane back then, I still have mine.

Sempai-mj
2015-11-14, 08:29 AM
Not a RC guy, he was my boss for 21 years, he mentioned to me that he knew you, I don't know where from.

bob forest
2015-11-14, 10:03 AM
Well for most of my working life I was in the Dental business. so if he was in that type of business at one time, maybe that is where we might of come across. also I am in a British Car Club and that might be where we came across if he owns an antique car. Dats about it. Oh, maybe my room mate at Bordeau Jail.

bob forest
2015-11-14, 10:15 AM
This is a picture of my son Robert, who was 9 when this was taken. He had learnt to fly on my DeBolt Champion. Me, I am holding my pattern ship a Cutlass, which was my favorite plane when I was competing. I had won the Quebec Championship up in Alma Quebec with this plane. It had a Webra .60 with a Tarno Muffler and Carb. Rom Air retracts. Back then we did not use air, we used Freon, one sqirt of the Freon and the pressure lasted all day. This picture was taken in 1976 at the MRCC field in St. Clet. We had three paved runways in the shape of an A, so it did not matter on the wind direction. We had 120 acres without one tree in the way. One of our members who was very rich, had bought the land and he had put in this runway. I had left the sport in 1977 and I had heard tht in the 80's he got interested in golf, did not like to wait for a tee off so he bought a golf course in Florida and sold the St. Clet site back in 85 or 86. If that club existed today it would be without a doubt one of the best in North America, but it did not, and that is the end of the story.

bob forest
2015-11-14, 10:21 AM
Michael, I apologise, it just came back, he is a friend of my sister that lives in Maine, it has been years I have not seen him, we had gone to his home if I remember somewhere in the West Island. Pt. Claire or Beaconsfield. Give him my regards.

beto9
2015-11-14, 11:25 AM
Great memories, Bob. You are very good at them, the nogging still working OK, I say!
Another anachronism (thank god) in the photo, besides you: the impound box!

bob forest
2015-11-14, 11:48 AM
If I remember correctly we had our names for the location of the Transmitter. Also guest location. This idea was that with all the trans on the stand, without the names, we would have to look carefully as many flew the same brand, Micro Avionics, Pro Line, Kraft, Orbit, CRRC, Logitrec, and a few other brands. This way by having our name, we knew it was my transmitter and I knew the location. How times have change. You can see my radio, 3 rows downs and the white radio with the black surround on the sticks. It was a ProLine radio which was my sponsor. I could not afford that radio. it was around 800 dollars back in the late 70 and early 80s.