PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to us border?

xtopher
2015-11-13, 02:07 PM
Hi .
I would be grateful if people who had experience with buying rc stuffs to us border advise about the custom duties / taxes..

And how much is the shipping costs less rather than sending it to Montreal

Thanking you all in advance

Shawn
2015-11-13, 03:00 PM
Set up an account at Freeport Forwarding at Lacolle. Costs just a few dollars per package. ( they accept can.$). Ship to them from U.S. And shipping is usually free . Print out an invoice, track the package to know when it is there and go and pick it up. Upon returning declare at the border, go inside and pay the taxes. Go home. Easy Peasy.

Sempai-mj
2015-11-13, 05:34 PM
There is a service in Massena NY 10 mins after Bridge to USA. SHIP-IT SHOP
Setup an account, it's free, they will email you when your package arrives.
Since you are a resident of Quebec you'll only pay the GST tax.

xtopher
2015-11-13, 06:28 PM
Thank you for your help. ..

Chris

xtopher
2015-12-02, 02:07 AM
Sorry to bother you again guys...what category should I name in the declaration. ?

Maybe some are less taxable than others right...which one I have to use.?

Sempai-mj
2015-12-02, 07:42 AM
Sorry to bother you again guys...what category should I name in the declaration. ?

Maybe some are less taxable than others right...which one I have to use.?

Hobby Items/ Remote Control Airplane Parts

xtopher
2015-12-02, 05:05 PM
Thank you ;)

Dwight Macdonald
2020-12-11, 04:22 PM
With the border currently closed to car traffic, do these places have some alternative way to get the packages across the border?

MichaelLevy
2020-12-11, 07:39 PM
With the border currently closed to car traffic, do these places have some alternative way to get the packages across the border?

I called Freeport Forwarding, there is a company which does it but it costs an arm and a leg. I needed stuff from the US and decided to get it shipped directly here with UPS (only option available). When it arrived I called them and refused to have them broker it. They told me they would send me the paperwork but it never arrived. Two days later, the package appeared at my door, no taxes no brokerage fee.

Florin
2020-12-11, 10:58 PM

I had two packages stuck at Champlain, NY, border since March.
I got them at my door in 1day after I call them

http://www.greencitycourier.net//en/Home/Home.html

I paid 3 things in total for both packages:

Border Taxes 10% of declared value
Brokerage CAD 20
Transportation CAD 50

Roughly CAD 100, for total CAD 300 value, that I couldn't recover otherwise.

MichaelLevy
2020-12-12, 09:35 AM
That's actually good, if I remember right, with the courrier Freeport suggested, I would have paid about $180 in fees which would have doubled the cost of the item.

Dougf
2020-12-12, 10:01 AM
I have a Kinek account and they sent me this email recently

Message from Border Mail Depot

Dear Customer,

Parcel Forwarding service brought to you by Border Mail Depot!

Unfortunately, with the continued border shut down, delivery and pickup of a parcel remains very difficult for Border Mail Depot Canadian customers.

Border Mail Depot's experienced team is here for you, guiding you through the step by step process and before you know it, you will have successfully received your parcel.

For further information on what services Border Mail Depot can provide, contact Border Mail Depot directly via email at: info@bordermaildepot.com

For additional information regarding the parcel forwarding service click here.

Please note, Kinek is not involved in the forwarding service brought to you by Border Mail Depot and does not guarantee your package. You must contact Border Mail Depot directly to discuss this service.
???????
We hope you remain safe and well.

Kind regards,

Border Mail Depot
Phone: (518) 208-3028 | (438) 238-3028 (toll-free from Montreal)
www.bordermaildepot.com

Kinek Support
Phone: 866-451-5565 | kineksupport@kinek.com

Florin
2020-12-12, 10:31 AM
They say to contact info@bordermaildepot.com. About a month ago I send an e-mail about my 2 packages at Kinek point Champlain NY. I think the person of contact there is Steve
Then they replay with e-mail I attach below. I went with first option, owner is Jeff. Excellent service. For Steve I gave to the driver $5 (US) for each package (regular fee/package deposited with Kinek )

Hi Florin,

We are open and working from 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday (closed for now on Saturday and Sunday). Each day we are receiving all couriers including UPS, FEDEX, USPS, DHL as well as all freight carriers. We daily process packages which are available for pick up during store hours as well as in a reserved locker for after hours pickup if you are able to cross the border (most Quebecers cannot cross the border).
All indications are that the border will be closed until the end of the year 2020 and probably continuing into 2021.
If you’re interested in having your package (s) forwarded to Montreal please email us at info@bordermaildepot.com with the following info.
1. Your name and Kinek # (or mailbox #)
2. Your full ship to address
3. Your best phone # contact
4. Which option you choose - Option 1, 2, 3 or 4 (see below)?
Note: If you choose Option # 3 (Cote des Neiges) please list the items and approximate value and we will have to get back to you on the phone to see if it would be possible.
5. All the full tracking # s of the packages you want sent or you can say “Every package in my account” and we can repack the packages into one box.
6. Any specific instructions about combining packages into one box.
7. Your invoice(s) showing proof of value for all the packages you want sent.
8. Fill out commercial invoice as much as possible (see attached commercial invoice form)

We can only quote you estimated costs once all of your packages have arrived at our warehouse. The following price quote information does not include Border Mail Depot Kinek receiving fees.
IMPORTANT WARNING! We will not ship or deliver tobacco products (including cigars), alcohol, marijuana, recreational drugs and prescription drugs.

OPTION # 1 GREEN CITY COURIER DIRECT TO YOUR DOOR
This is our preferred service offered for getting your package (s) to your door as quickly as possible, usually within 3 days of when you schedule the shipment.
Our courier Jeff at Green City Courier arranges everything ahead of time and all details are taken care of for you.
Once Jeff has contacted you for the evaluation of total boxes and weight he will finalize the exact price with a broker. He will then take payment by credit card and give you an exact delivery date. Average cost is $50 CAD to Montreal for 1-3 lightweight packages plus any taxes or duty. Delivery to off island of Montreal locations will increase cost.
If you would like to go with Jeff (OPTION #1) or would like more information about his direct courier service please reply (with all information requested above) directly to: jeff@greencitycourier.net 514-358-6300
OPTION # 2: USPS TO YOUR DOOR - note: We do not recommend this option.
Because of the COVID19 crisis packages sent to Quebec (with USPS transfering to Canada Post) can take double or triple the normal delivery time- up to 4-5 weeks to receive). Price depends on weight and dimensions. We can amalgamate a few of your packages into one. Most light envelope packages under 1 lb will be around $25.00. Medium heavy packages 1-4lbs will be around $35-$40. Heavier, larger boxes $65.-$75 (or more). These prices are approximate shipping and handling fees. They do not include brokerage, taxes and duty (charged upon delivery).
If interested in option #2 please state so clearly in your reply email.

OPTION # 3: COTE DES NEIGES PICKUP
Cote Des Neiges pickup is only available for selected smaller items and we will evaluate if your items qualify.
Average cost $30-$50, depending on the items and or # of packages. If interested call Steve at 514-344-1881 or state clearly in your reply email a brief description of your items and that you want the Cote des Neiges pick up option.
OPTION # 4: UPS, FEDEX, DHL, ETC.
Info upon inquiry.
Please note that our policy has always been that we keep all packages for 1 year. Usually we charge late fees for packages stored for more
than 60 days but because of the current situation:

All late fees will be waived for packages received in 2020 for the balance of 2020
until December 31, 2020
Thanks,
Steve

I have a Kinek account and they sent me this email recently

Message from Border Mail Depot

Dear Customer,

Parcel Forwarding service brought to you by Border Mail Depot!

Unfortunately, with the continued border shut down, delivery and pickup of a parcel remains very difficult for Border Mail Depot Canadian customers.

Border Mail Depot's experienced team is here for you, guiding you through the step by step process and before you know it, you will have successfully received your parcel.

For further information on what services Border Mail Depot can provide, contact Border Mail Depot directly via email at: info@bordermaildepot.com

For additional information regarding the parcel forwarding service click here.

Please note, Kinek is not involved in the forwarding service brought to you by Border Mail Depot and does not guarantee your package. You must contact Border Mail Depot directly to discuss this service.
???????
We hope you remain safe and well.

Kind regards,

Border Mail Depot
Phone: (518) 208-3028 | (438) 238-3028 (toll-free from Montreal)
www.bordermaildepot.com

Kinek Support
Phone: 866-451-5565 | kineksupport@kinek.com