PDA

View Full Version : Frequency control at the lake

isabel
2008-02-25, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone, here is a suggestion in the interest of safety.

Some people are flying at the lake, but not all at exactly the same spot. Some near the stairs and some near the fishing shacks. Please if you go, be careful with the frequency control.

Just a suggestion, if you go to the lake, look around to see if others are flying already. If so, it would be wise to walk up to them to check their frequencies. For example, when Bob announces that he is going to the fishing shacks we call him to let him know our frequencies for that day. We are really grateful that he has been cross-checking ours with those of people flying with him. Last weekend someone joined us at the stairs, before he flew he made sure to communicate his frequency with Bob. If necessary, a walk to check frequencies is better than a walk to pick up the pieces...

Also, here is an idea as an additional safety precaution. Before each flight, turn on your *receiver first*, keeping your transmitter off. If the servos move, then there is someone on your frequency and if you turn on your radio, you will shoot him down. This is not a garanteed check, but it's better than nothing.

We are switching to 2.4 as soon as what we need comes out but in the meantime we'll be doing the above!

Amicably

Isabel

Dwight Macdonald
2008-02-25, 07:18 PM
I have a Hobbico frequency checker that belongs to WIMAC. It can be borrowed by those who fly at the lake.

bob forest
2008-02-25, 07:39 PM
Dwight, as their is only a few of us, that is not a problem, the problem is when we are flying in two locations within eye sight. Like we do in Vaudreuil. So if we have a cell phone at both areas, then it is not a problem. I phone Norman who was there, he told me which frequencies were there, and I told him our two frequencies. None clashed, so we just went ahead and flew. It was convenient, as we were so far apart that flying two planes at the same time did not distract us.
But if we are a gang, which might happen in the following weeks, then the board would come in handy.

Dwight Macdonald
2008-02-25, 11:13 PM
The "Hobbico frequency checker" is a little electronic device that senses the signals and shows all the frequencies that are currently in use ... it could be used as a double check that someone who you don't notice is nearby with a transmitter on ...

bob forest
2008-02-26, 08:47 AM
I have one, and have it with me all the time.