PDA

View Full Version : How the wind blows

Michael O'Bree
2016-05-09, 12:12 AM
As some of you already know, I was very fortunate to find my lost Apprentice on Saturday. The attached map shows where.
Plane was found while driving home along Ch. de l'Anse a l'Orme, with my tracking device pointing out my car window!
Many thanks to all of you who helped with my search - Alan, Richard, Michael, Robert, Jack.

Xavier
2016-05-09, 01:53 PM
That is a good news Michael ! It's always further than we think :-)

Burning Head
2016-05-09, 03:39 PM
:confused:Wow, that's unreal, I suspect he was captured and rejected by the same wormhole... for lack of hightech :rolleyes: just kidding, how can it glide so far...

Robert C.
2016-05-09, 04:09 PM
:)Flight Stabilizer !!!!!!!!

Burning Head
2016-05-09, 05:36 PM
the visual lost was probably over the third fields, way to far...

Xavier
2016-05-09, 07:19 PM
Maybe Michael, you should check that the fail safe cut the motor. Maybe the motor kept running longer than you think and the stabilisation system did the rest.

Glenn Hole
2016-05-09, 07:34 PM
Michael what tracking device did you use.

Sempai-mj
2016-05-09, 07:35 PM
Ok great news, now drive around Timerlea trail to see if you can find Aprentice #1;)

Michael O'Bree
2016-05-10, 06:12 PM
Maybe Michael, you should check that the fail safe cut the motor. Maybe the motor kept running longer than you think and the stabilisation system did the rest.

My understanding is that the stabilizer software does not control the throttle. Also, a test I did with Richard before I lost the plane: we cut communication between the Tx and the receiver - this resulted in the throttle being cut after 1 or 2 seconds. That's why I am perplexed. In the Apprentice manual, it says the following for Failsafe:
"In the unlikely (!!!:angry:) loss of radio connection, failsafe will turn the aircraft in a descending circle to the ground, unless the radio connection is restored".
(No mention of throttle).
A big circle !

Michael O'Bree
2016-05-10, 06:29 PM
Michael what tracking device did you use.

Glenn
Here it is: Loc8tor (http://www.loc8tor.com/everyday/)

It located my lost plane about 250 feet from my moving car.
I did a test at the field - it can detect the homing tag at from about 300 feet when the tag is on the ground with a lot of thick woods and bushes between the tag and the locator.

It has definitely done the job for me! Be aware this item ships from the UK so takes about 2 - 3 weeks to arrive unless you pay for express shipping.

Burning Head
2016-05-10, 07:37 PM
I have made few " miracles'' by fixing foam planes, need help, let me know:)

Sempai-mj
2016-05-10, 07:49 PM
I have made few " miracles'' by fixing foam planes, need help, let me know:)

Yes, Michael, what is the condition of the plane?:confused:

Michael O'Bree
2016-05-11, 07:58 AM
The plane is in remarkably good condition. It has a few scratches and I had to use a little glue for small tears where the wing trailing edge meets the center section of the wing. The battery is completely dead, but if it kept flying after radio contact was lost, that is no surprise. I still have another. Now the plane looks "used":)

I found a very detailed write up on SAFE via RCGroups - much more detailed than the manual, so I have reconfigured my Tx and hand tested the SAFE modes. They seem to work fine now.
One final test I want to complete at the field - get the SAFE mode working + throttle up then walk/drive away with the Tx until it is well out of range, to see if the throttle cuts after communication is lost. I am not sure if this will have exactly the same result if you simply turn the Tx off (in this test, it did cut the throttle).

Sunny day, winds low - I wonder what I can do around 10am? !!

Glenn Hole
2016-05-11, 02:40 PM
Hi Mike I have the same one I never had to use it. now i know it really works
well.thanks:)

Michael O'Bree
2016-05-11, 03:03 PM
Hi Mike I have the same one I never had to use it. now i know it really works
well.thanks:)

Glenn-
Good to hear you have not had to rely on it.
Make sure your homing tag batteries are in good shape before you fly in case you ever need to use it! The batteries in the locator itself are not so critical as you can replace them before you go looking for a plane. I was afraid that replacing the battery in the locator would "unbind" the connection between the locator and the tag - it doesn't, thankfully.
M

Dwight Macdonald
2016-05-11, 09:38 PM
Very good news!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk