PDA

View Full Version : Differnce between WIMAC and MAAC

alirezaei
2016-06-26, 02:54 AM
Hi everyone

would you please let me know what is the difference between MAAC and WIMAC?

while to be the member of MAAC As I know we should pay 90$ per year and we have access to all clubs (that's what its director told me) while for WIMAC we should pay 125. also he told me that that payment will cover some insurance in case of accidents or .... .

is there someone who can clarify and simplify these two organization?

thanks alot
Ali

bob forest
2016-06-26, 07:13 AM
Why don't you just go to the MAAC web site. all will be explained there. I can tell you, WIMAC does not cover you if you have an accident, and if you don't have MAAC you wont be able to fly at WIMAC to have that accident. It's pretty simple.

Sempai-mj
2016-06-26, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone

while to be the member of MAAC As I know we should pay 90$ per year and we have access to all clubs (that's what its director told me) while for WIMAC we should pay 125. also he told me that that payment will cover some insurance in case of accidents or .... .

thanks alot
Ali

MAAC is a third party insurance, it's required to fly at any club, most clubs you have to become a member to fly at them.

WIMAC is a club:
Club dues are in place to pay for rental of property and maintenance, at WIMAC the club executive is all voluntary.
Come to the field today and speak to our members.

Tigron
2016-06-26, 01:28 PM
Ali, Welcome!
I suspect you are Iranian. In your mother tongue.

MAAC yani bemeh shakhs sales ke baraye ozviyat dar har club lazem ast.
WIMAC club ke shoma pul baraye ozviyat pardakht mikonid.
Baraye parvaz dar har club Canada shoma bayad ham pul bimeh ham pul ozviyat ra pardakht konid.

P.S. Canadian guys, it is Persian in English. Don't try to understand. It is the same things you have just explained.

alirezaei
2016-06-26, 05:14 PM
thanks for all your kind reply. i guess I was just confused since the director of the MAAC told me that I can go to all Clubs and fly there just by being a member of MAAC and he was encouraging me to pay the fees.

Now I got the point and everything is clear.

Dear Sempai-mj, I came to the field on passed friday, It is a bot far from my place and it took 2 hours for me to arrive there (by bus). I talked with some nice guys there, they helped me alot but I guess I have to find a solution for transportation.

anyway, I am trying to gather some more information and getting ready to join you.
also if anybody have any recommendation for Radio control brands please let me know about it. I know it depends about many things specially the budget, but at this point I am just looking for the good brand and a model number that I can keep it for minimum 4 or 5 years. I prefer to pay one time and keep it for more time.

(and Tigron, you are right, we came from the same region and I wish I could talk more with you if you have much more experience there)
Thank you

Burning Head
2016-06-26, 06:39 PM
The more common TX brands are Futaba or Spektrum Look for a 6ch minimum. This hobby could be expensive the first year. With the MAAC, the Wimac membership, new TX and Trainer plane, probably a $1000...But, if you are looking at long therms, 4 to 5 year's as you say, the investment will be pay fast by the fun and the RC knowledge gains with us when flying at our club:)

Tigron
2016-06-26, 07:18 PM
Ali,
There are a lot of things you choice of radio depends on. We have no information what are you going to fly and at what level.
If you are starting from the scratch and never flown anything RC - the best choice is the radio in RTF model. At least you will understand are you in the game or not.
If you are sure that you will stay in the hobby for at least several years, then you can search for a professional grade equipment. I would recommend Jeti Duplex. Though it is more expensive than any other radio it will surely serve you long and is much more flexible.
There are also other brands like JR, Spektrum, Futaba.
For me the main rule for choosing radio is how I feel it in my hands. If it is comfortable for me to hold.
Go to local hobby shop and ask them to show you some radios. Then you can make a decision.

P.S. By the way, if anybody has Jeti DS-14 or DS-16 please PM me. I really want to try this radio in my hands, as I'm searching for replacement for my old JR PCM9X.

Sempai-mj
2016-06-27, 07:42 AM
If you are just starting, don't by the most expensive gear, buy futaba or spectrum as they are the most common radios in the club and will be buddy box compatable.
Post here in this forum what are thinking about purchasing before buying.
There is a whole lot of extensive knowledge here.

rhoude57
2016-06-27, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone

thanks alot
Ali

Hello Ali,

The MAAC is the national aero modeling body. It oversees all the activities of aero modeling clubs across Canada. It also sets standards and arranges activities (such as training programs) which can benefit all members across the country. The MAAC has recently organized a Multi-Rotor Introduction course which it ran in Côte St-Luc. Because it represents a much larger number of members, it has more negotiating power with insurance companies and can get better rates. You can be a MAAC member and never join a local club (although this would be strange).

The WIMAC is an aero modeling club. It organizes local activities and normally runs a radio-controlled airfield (many also arrange for an indoor flying location in the Winter months. You cannot become a member of WIMAC if you are not a member of MAAC.

I hope this answers your question.
Ronald

alirezaei
2016-06-27, 12:01 PM
Hi everybody

I was a bit surprise for such a fast and kind reply. Thank you all.
As I was working in this field around 10 years ago ( in control line ) and I have never a chance to go deeper for radio control since it was expensive for me.

now I am preparing myself to come back and enjoy my favorite hobby.

based on my research, I guess the spectrum DX8 or DX7 might be ok for me for the first 5 years. it has enough channels, most regular radio in clube. also it is compatible with some simulators (good idea before crashing a real plane). after practicing with my radio and simulator, I want to start with an electric motor plane which is easier to fly (also cheeper) and with some extra batteries I have more time to spend on flying instead of costing on fule. and finally when I was ready and ofcurse I have enough money I will go with Gas motors.

that's what I am thinking and my plan. please feel free to share your experince.

thanks

Tigron
2016-06-27, 01:02 PM
Dear Ali
If you decided to go into Spektrum radios, your are likely to get Horizon Hobby airplanes, as they are compatible with DSM2 protocol of Spektrum radios.
Search for planes with SAFE technology. It will help you a lot in your first steps.
Here are some brands:
ParkZone Sukhoi SU-29MM (http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ8050)
E-Flight airplanes (http://www.e-fliterc.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=SAFE)
Hobbyzone airplanes (http://www.hobbyzonerc.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=SAFE)

I would recommend to start with one of these:
HobbyZone Sportsman S+ (http://www.ndheli.ca/sportsman-sand-rtf-%28gen-2%29/dp/57954)
HobbyZone Mini Apprentice S (http://www.ndheli.ca/mini-apprentice-s-rtf/dp/57905)
HobbyZone Delta Ray (http://www.ndheli.ca/delta-ray-rtf-with-safe-technology/dp/54355)

Choose the one you like and search them in a local hobby shops. I saw some of them there.
Here are some abbreviations to understand the difference.
RTF - Ready-to-fly (airplane and radio included)
BNF - Bind-and-fly (airplane with receiver that you should connect to a compatible radio when you already have one)
PNF - same as BNF without battery
KIT - box of parts without electronics, build it yourself as you like

Xavier
2016-06-27, 08:59 PM
Well explained Ronald.

As Dmitry said, the Spektrum are compatible with many RTF airplanes. Since they are also easily available locally as well as the accessories so it's a good choice. The DX8 has plenty of feature to be usable with many type of airplane and last a long time. With the SD card, you could extend the model memory for ever.