PDA

View Full Version : Simulators

alirezaei
2016-07-28, 10:45 PM
Dear friends

There I have several questions about simulators. I could not find a thread about it. if there is, please delete this new threat and let me know where to ask my questions.

1- Do you suggest to work with a simulator before starting to work with real plan?
2- which one of the simulator (Phoenix or Realflight7) you suggest?

3- the Realflight comes with interlink. is it better to work with interlink or start to work with real radio from the beginning. Since in order to work with Phoenix, we need to use our real radio and think it could decrease antenna's strength if it be uses for long time!!!

so I do not know which one is better, realflight with interlink or phoenix with a real radio.

thanks

Burning Head
2016-07-29, 07:37 AM
If I was you, I will go with the Phoenix...

Tigron
2016-07-29, 08:56 PM
Ali, certainly I suggest to start with simulator. It is almost impossible not to crash an aircraft without training in simulator until your hands get used to control automatically.
Realflight is a very good simulator, but also is a very expensive one.
For a new person, Phoenix is much more affordable.
Note that Phoenix work together with Spektrum. I think they even have bundle of radio with Phoenix Sim.
Also, IMHO after 9 years of helicopter exploitation, newcomers don't really need very expensive simulator until you start advanced flying. If you want to train just basic take off and landing (+hovering in case of helicopters), some freeware simulators with very cheap dongle for your real radio will work OK. When you'll feel that you want to go advanced (more than just simple flat circling over airstrip) then you need to buy a good quality simulator.

P.S. I myself use Phoenix, but I started with Realflight. I liked the air physics in Realflight more until version 5. After that I switched and I have no idea what it looks like now in version 7.5.
P.P.S. I remember in 2007 I started my first coaxial heli without simulator. Even with coaxial heli at that time it was quite challenging and costly for repair after newbie crushes. First hover I crushed at once, but second I hoverd successfully and I was extremely exited. :freakedout:

Sempai-mj
2016-07-29, 09:05 PM
I have a real flight sim. I can lend it to you to try it.

alirezaei
2016-07-30, 03:53 PM
Ali, certainly I suggest to start with simulator. It is almost impossible not to crash an aircraft without training in simulator until your hands get used to control automatically.
Realflight is a very good simulator, but also is a very expensive one.
For a new person, Phoenix is much more affordable.
Note that Phoenix work together with Spektrum. I think they even have bundle of radio with Phoenix Sim.
Also, IMHO after 9 years of helicopter exploitation, newcomers don't really need very expensive simulator until you start advanced flying. If you want to train just basic take off and landing (+hovering in case of helicopters), some freeware simulators with very cheap dongle for your real radio will work OK. When you'll feel that you want to go advanced (more than just simple flat circling over airstrip) then you need to buy a good quality simulator.

P.S. I myself use Phoenix, but I started with Realflight. I liked the air physics in Realflight more until version 5. After that I switched and I have no idea what it looks like now in version 7.5.
P.P.S. I remember in 2007 I started my first coaxial heli without simulator. Even with coaxial heli at that time it was quite challenging and costly for repair after newbie crushes. First hover I crushed at once, but second I hoverd successfully and I was extremely exited. :freakedout:

Thanks for you explanations.
it is always a trade-off between cost and quality.

I searched in many sites for the best simulators and more or less I found the same answers. the only think that I am a bit worried about is that, with Phoenix we need a real Radio which is spektrum. I do not know what will happen to the radio transmitter circuit if I use it for Phoenix simulator after long time (let say 1 year).
As I will use the radio in future to fly a real plan, is it possible that phoenix has some effects on radio after long time usage.

If no, it could be a good idea to by a radio and working with phoenix since we do not need to pay more for interlink.

Tigron
2016-07-30, 05:03 PM
I have been using my JR DSX9II both with simulator and for flight since 2008 without any problem. Of cause if you use your control sticks hard they can become wear out, especially in cheap radios.
Check the airplane you are going to buy. Most Horizon Hobby RTF planes now come with the radio that has trainer jack (similar to headphone jack).
You can buy an RTF airplane with radio and SAFE technology and cheap simulator dongle. Then use it with freeware simulator for initial training. Then use your airplane with SAFE. Then, if you feel that you are "in the hobby" you can start investing in simulators, airplanes, clubs etc.

Michael O'Bree
2016-07-30, 05:45 PM
Ali
I recently started in the hobby with similar questions to yours. Finally I went with the Phoenix simulator with a Spektrum DX9 receiver. I am very satisfied with this because in spite of being a late (retired) learner, this combination got me flying quickly and I went with an Apprentice S 15e trainer for outdoors. Phoenix works well with the DX9 and has all the features of the Apprentice with SAFE. I have no concerns about damaging my receiver by using it with the simulator, EXCEPT a word of warning - if you go with this combination, ALWAYS disconnect your transmitter from the computer if you interrupt your sim session. If not, the transmitter's warning system may come on warning you of inactivity (to save battery) and if the vibration feature is on, the receiver may vibrate its way off your computer table!

MidnightHeli
2016-08-03, 12:39 AM
I have both and it all depends how I feel and which radio is closer to me:D. They are both extremely good for starters and I cannot say anything for advance acrobatic flight since I am far from this stage.
My Con for Real Flight, you need to pay for the new versions, Phoenix is free upgrade for life.
You can connect your own radio to Real Flight, but it needs to be connected to the Real Flight radio (Real flight will not work if their radio is not connected), this I find to be a hassle since you will have 2 radios in front of you, one on the table and the other in your hands.
My very small Con for Phoenix, has to do with helicopter flight, helicopters have the tendency to go slightly sideway on take off, in Phoenix the heli goes straight up, but Real Flight simulates this motion, but this is not a problem when you find out how your heli acts on take off.
I have a DX5, DX6i and a DX8. I started using the DX5 for the simulator and DX6i for flying, now I use the DX6i for the simulator and indoor home flying my blade CX2 and MSR, the DX8 for flying and the DX5 as a body box. The Pro for using your own radio. You get used to the position and function of each switches, on Real Flight radio, the switches are pre-set. I actually open up my Real flight radio to change the position of one of the switches. In both simulator, if you use a more advance radio, like the DX8 or DX9 and want ALL the switches to do the same thing as in real life, you need to program the simulator and for me, hard to do (I gave up on this)
They are both good simulators, Do not listen to people who say Real Flight is better then Phoenix or vice versa, it is like asking which computer is better PC or MAC, it become a personal preference. Just do a WEB search and check out the pro and cons, and make your choice based on your criteria and needs.

Dray476
2016-08-03, 02:43 PM
I am currently trying to learn with RealFlight G3. It works very well and I feel it is helping. However, if you get RF, a newer version would be much better. With this older version I can not add my personal plane to the Hangar.

Also, never heard anyone speak of this before but I made a set of "flash/flip cards" to recognize from/to vs right/left vs upside/downside in order to respond with correct stick action. Lots of pictures of Reno pylon racers and pasting into word allowed me to flip the image horizontal and/or vertical to cover all axis combinations. It has helped my response time.