PDA

View Full Version : Toledo

bob forest
2008-04-02, 05:46 PM
Leaving tomorrow morning at 5:30am, coming back on Monday. Bringing my Lap Top, hoping they have wireless at the hotel, if so, will try and post some pics and a few comments on the event.

bob forest
2008-04-04, 05:45 AM
We arrived in Toledo at 4:30 pm yesterday. In Windsor, Ont it was 65 degrees F. No snow from Kingston on. We stopped at the convention center and they were setting up the show, so not allowed to go in. We had a qquic look at the flee market, it is going to be huge. So now it is 5:44am and we are just about ready to leave and have breakfast then get there eaerly. We bought our tickets yesterday. So no line up for that. 8 dollars a day.
Will send more news tonight.
Bob

bob forest
2008-04-04, 05:23 PM
Not going to believe what happened today. I brought my camera, but left the memory chip at the room, so camera and could not take pictures.
But tomorrow will take. I can tell you, it is a dream to be here. Helis, planes cars boats all of it. video cameras. Ken and I bought each a heli the Lama V3 for 59 dollars. we fly it in the room.
Will report on more tomorrow.This picture was taken yesterday, to give you an idea of the weather , plus a test on how I can post.

Sunfly
2008-04-05, 10:35 AM
Hi,
Bob the ground in your picture is not of the right color.
What kind of filter do you use ?. :D :D

beto9
2008-04-05, 10:49 AM
Hi,
Bob the ground in your picture is not of the right color.
What kind of filter do you use ?. :D :D

Oh boy, you walked into this one... Andrew, Greg and I will be all over you now...
Notice that the background, in the sun, is properly exposed... Some cameras do not have the dynamic range to expose both parts properly... actually, not even film would have had. A fill flash was needed for the foreground...
Shadows on bright days usually will come blue because the light coming from the sky still illuminates it. Best examples are shadows on snow pictures in sunny days.... they are deep blue!
A good example below. However, after all this theorizing, I still take ****ty pics!

beto9
2008-04-05, 11:57 AM
Bob... a helicopter?
You will have to change your vote in the poll to "Fly both"!

See if you can find me a cheap one 12" Futaba servo extension....

PaulG-rc
2008-04-05, 12:33 PM
12" futaba extension , I think they come with a helicopter :D

beto9
2008-04-05, 12:43 PM
12" futaba extension , I think they come with a helicopter :D

Yes, of course... they are used to hover.... hover.... hover.... yawn.... hover....

bob forest
2008-04-05, 03:54 PM
I took 196 pictures today. I am posting a few and also as you can see the Heli's are really impressive. Rows and rows of them. The detail is incredible. Look at the detail inside this yellow Huey.

bob forest
2008-04-05, 04:03 PM
That is a real V8 in that wooden old boat. Also the Hydro, with the Turbine, does 101 miles per hour. That's it for now, we are going to the World Championship Indoor Electric competition tonight. The 10 best that made the eliminations last night.

bob forest
2008-04-05, 04:20 PM
Just a few more pics, There is the V8 on its own. the motor is 5600 dollars. The picture of the front of that big Russian TU 144 Bear. That is the cockpit. Also the yellow Agwagon is new by RC Guys. They have it on sale for the show 439 dollars, no taxes no shipping. What a beautiful plane. That way out looking plane is by Faye Stilley and the plane is called Swoose. He is Mr. Monokote. That plane is all finished in Monokote, not one wrinkle.

stephane.savard
2008-04-05, 11:00 PM
Any more info on that civilian plane with the swiss tail? That one really got my attention! Please tell me it's a kit or plans/laser cut parts are available? :)

bob forest
2008-04-05, 11:10 PM
Stephane, it is a mooney, I don't know if it is a kit, as it was in the competition but I will have a look tomorrow if more detail on it.
really well done. the interior was amazing, this is one big plane.
Bob

bob forest
2008-04-05, 11:18 PM
more pics of the event.

bob forest
2008-04-05, 11:30 PM
More pics, As you can see DA had a huge booth there.

xed
2008-04-06, 12:16 AM
Great pictures and updates Bob, bring me back a DA-85 badboy!

bob forest
2008-04-06, 07:22 AM
Just a few more before we leave for the show. Especially for the combat guys. Also those scale planes are beautiful.

bob forest
2008-04-06, 08:38 AM
A few more, hope I did not double them. I have so many, tried to remember what I posted. We just had breakfast and now heading for the show.That is the owner of Brillili engines, Mark.

PaulG-rc
2008-04-06, 09:21 AM
I really think they should do this also in Montreal
I'm shure they would get more people in that show then the Car,boat,cycle,outdoor,and any other shows we had already.:D

Elgreco
2008-04-06, 09:53 AM
Come on.........Only 1 picture of Helis ?????? And only 3 show ????

The dark side is getting angry :angry:

Nice pictures overall though

beto9
2008-04-06, 11:33 AM
Lets not get the dark side angry... we don't know what incantations they can do, or sacrifices... come to think of it, they sacrifice enough helicopters during the season... but hey, they are usually glitches, aren't they?

Eric Marchand
2008-04-06, 02:54 PM
Or downdrafts, crosswinds, faulty gyro, tail rotor belt, or tall grass...

beto9
2008-04-06, 04:56 PM
The biggest advantage of helis is that they crash nearby... they don't have to mount Stanley and Livingstone expeditions to find a downed aircraft... maybe because we let them go a little farther and not keep it close by to enjoy the... yawn.... hovering.

bob forest
2008-04-06, 05:35 PM
I will be posting more pics, and also more on that big dark heli. It is electric, and the guns and rockets are real. They fire rockets. Has about 40 flights on it. will have more pics of it and close ups. We are finished and what a show. right now sympatico is not working for my email, so can't post pics.

bob forest
2008-04-07, 06:09 AM
Here are few more pics, especially of the well done cockpits. the details are amazing.

bob forest
2008-04-07, 06:18 AM
This Heli, is all electric, and the guns and rockets all fire. it is an amazing machine. The rockets will go 1000 feet.
The P51 look at the detail of the wheel wells.

bob forest
2008-04-07, 06:20 AM
Just another incredible plane and detail. We are just leaving Toledo.

Sunfly
2008-04-07, 07:15 AM
This looks like an amazing show.
Nice picture Bob.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

bob forest
2008-04-07, 08:31 PM
I hope this works, these are all the pics I took at Toledo, also for the Heli guys, you will see more helis here.
Hope you all enjoy it.
Also for the AGM I have some Mags from Toledo, I will bring them and whoever wants them, there yours.Here is where you go and have a look.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ace1937/ToledoLowFiles

BARBERIK
2008-04-07, 09:19 PM
HOLY TOLEDO BOB,someone had to say it. great pictures.

stephane.savard
2008-04-08, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the extra Mooney pictures, it really is a beautiful scale job! And I'm rather impressed by the scale helicopters; can't even see any of the hardware inside.

Safety First
2008-04-08, 07:11 AM
Thank you Bob for the tour. Great pics!

bob forest
2008-04-08, 09:52 AM
Just to give you an idea of how big the Toledo show is. The Mayor of Toledo spoke at the end of the show giving out figures. They were mind boggling. First of all, the show brings in over 10 million dollars of tourist money. The average amount of show goers, is 16,000 per show. This is a 3 day show, so the Friday and Sat are the two biggest days, Sunday quientens down. The Weak signals clubs gives to the fireman fund 10 thousand dollars. To the high school scholarship fund 75 thousand dollars, and there were other funds that they gave to from the profits of the show. Then rather than have the TOC championship at a local high school gym, they are building a new hockey arena right next the the convention center, and for the week of the Toledo show, it will be used for indoor flyeers, and the Tournament of Champions competition.
Also the Mayor announced that the City council voted unanimously that the month of April will be called Weak Signals RC Club month. And last but not least, he said, that the Toledo Show is the largest and biggest show, people wise and money wise that comes to Toledo.
Why is it, that cities do this for our hobby and here they try to kill our hobby.
This is a picture of Bob Noll getting an Life achievement award from the president of the Weak Signals club. Bob and I flew Pattern in the 60's and 70's. Bob is from the US. Bob is the one on the left.
Bob

bob forest
2008-04-08, 12:37 PM
Here I am after signing the deal on the Ag Wag with the owner of RC guys.

Ronald Longtin
2008-04-08, 02:13 PM
I love the pics, Bob, thanks.

I'll enjoy seeing the lovely Agwagon fly and maybe spread a little slow growth powder on our field.

My mind can't help wondering though about a fellow rc'er who drives a thousand kilometers to the US Midwest to purchase a plane from a Canadian manufacturer situated next door, province wise. Must be what free trade is all about.;)

bob forest
2008-04-08, 04:28 PM
It so happens, that they are Cdn. But the deal was in Cdn dollars, and free shipping and no taxes. I got it for 439 with the cocpit door with all the goodies on the door. spring lacth etc. I think it is going to go for 499. I really did nto have any intension of buying a plane going down there. Did not even know about that one. But when I say it. That was it. Especially the price. So if I would of ordered from here. taxes, shipping and the regular price would of been at least another 200 dollars. That pays my gas and motel, as we were 3 to share the car and room. What a deal.

bob forest
2008-04-09, 08:03 AM
I hope this works. Taken with my Spy cam that is the 2oz video, that I will be able to put on my plane. Also when I got home, I noticed that I had forgotten to take off the plastic covering on the lens, that protects it while in shipping. so I guess the pics could of been a little bit clearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyPeMAhahAk

bob forest
2008-04-09, 09:18 AM
This is the competition with the pattern, all competitors had to do the exact same sequences. As you can see it is very precise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXJwmrIBvE8

bob forest
2008-04-09, 11:50 AM
This is the other competitor I took, watch how high he goes into the rafters.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0tc0IOWfuH4

Dwight Macdonald
2008-04-13, 03:14 PM
Awesome! Thanks Bob for all the great pics and videos!

Xavier
2008-04-13, 03:51 PM
Bob, how come you don't have pictures like my friend Robert ? :-)

bob forest
2008-04-13, 10:27 PM
Yes, that was Friday, you should of seen her on Sat and Sunday. I could not take a picture, as my camera would always fog up.