PDA

View Full Version : Finally flew at WIMAC today after 13 years

Krish
2019-09-21, 12:57 AM
This is Krish, I flew past winter indoors. Some may know I have completely replaced my Good old Futaba 9Z with Spectrum, All electric Turbo Timber, New chargers and even an inverter to charge my batteries at the field (works). Two days before 2019 Fun-fly I received my Timber and had accident and put it away due to frustration from all the new stuff I decided to try! Damage was not excessive but being as foam was new to me, and quickly realize how much I miss my balsa (LOL)! I learnt a lot more, I finally got it together only to realize I misplaced my a Wing hold down plastic metric bolt. After much searching all the major hardware places without success, I found a metal one which could not be secured through wing hold down plastic fitting.
Not being certain why I lost control on the Timber I decided to visit Ted's and bought a new Receiver, 1/32"x12"x6" plywood and wing bolt, which she had to order! Continuing assembly, some of you may recall I fly mode 2 with aileron and rudder swapped, and VOILA I found reason for accident, I had not completed the swap on the TX. Today I got my wing bolt but seemed too windy to test, I went to field and just putts around and taxi, two present members agreed with me. One left and as we chatted, the wind went down and I asked him to stand by me with advise as I tried it and YES it got airborne, needed some down trim and made 4 take offs, go around, then landed, in quick succession! Paul Daigle, I can now confirm it sure feels light to fly.

So then I was welcomed back, and welcomed myself back to my home field!!! Gotta say it was emotionally happy feeling for me. Excuse length!

Michael O'Bree
2019-09-21, 05:26 AM
Glad to hear you successfully got back on your bike.

Sempai-mj
2019-09-21, 06:42 AM
You must have felt a sense of accomplishment! :)

Ian
2019-09-21, 07:36 AM
Hi Krish! It was my honor to stand with you and be witness to your 4 flights yesterday. I certainly share your happiness in returning to flying after a long absence, being a returnee myself. Here's to more happy flying days ahead of us!

Krish
2019-09-21, 12:25 PM
Ian your company and support was most appreciated and encouraging.

MJ, you are correct, being all this new stuff is an accomplishment, you guys went through the gradual changes...It was a one shot for me. Most of the planes I see there are foamies!

O'Bree, Never got off the bike, it was the shock of all the new stuff to learn and use, especially as I age, so truly an accomplishment.

Michael O'Bree
2019-09-21, 01:43 PM
Indeed, well done.

pauldaigle
2019-09-22, 03:33 PM
There you go Krish you now know what foam feels like.
A bit lite, and, over 10 km winds you are basically grounded. Should just be used for park flyers as far as I am concerned.
Nothing against them but I also prefer the balsa ARF's with gas or Nitro. Next project just came in, Hanger 9 15cc carbon cub that will be outfitted with 5" bush tires and a DLE 20cc RA gas engine. This might take a while to build but I think that it will hit the sweet spot with my flying preferences.

Florin
2019-09-22, 05:16 PM
Today I flew glow engine for first time. I liked the experience, even it's a bit of hassle with all the field equipment. But, since it's all about the hobby, I will continue to fly both glow and electric. I think is more about inertia, mass and wing loading. I saw today foamies (warbirds and jets) in steady flying and landings in gust over 35 km/h.
Check out this Hangar 9 cub. Just plug a battery and enjoy :)

https://youtu.be/mEHcOzyWH-c

Krish
2019-09-23, 12:54 AM
Paul and Florin,
Having been conditioned for 47 years (solo '72) Nitro, gas, then brought in a couple balsa early electric about 2002! and 72mhz, all being fixed winged. Paul, the new foamies are truly light and blown around in mild winds, but the good old Nitros are higher wing loading and track truer due to loading. Both of your examples will behave differently with varying characteristics. I look forward to seeing them out, I will practice more on my Turbo Timber to get the feel. Surely its linear throttle takes getting used to as Nitros never were! I like scale flying hence scale powered (under powered) and rarely full throttle as I use the wings to fly on.

I target late summer '20 to convert and prepare my large Balsa scale gassers!

pauldaigle
2019-09-23, 01:25 PM
Hi Florin, nice to get another opinion. I did see that Cub video before getting the gas engine for it. No doubt the size of the plane and weight of the very large batterie and electric motor in there makes it behave a lot better than a smaller foamy especially in high wind condition but I opted for gas as it runs longer, lasts longer and provides plenty of power for all that 3D stuff, not to mention it is a lot cheaper to run than a Nitro engine.
Still trying to figure out how to put this puppy together, got the plane on the bench and ready to go for assembly, went through the instruction manual twice already it's missing a couple of pages or so for the wing assembly and had to go online to download the full version. Not a good start but hey, I should figure this stuff out eventually.

Florin
2019-09-23, 09:49 PM
Paul and Krish,

Interesting projects, I wish you all the best.
I have two balsa planes so far on .40 and .46 glow engines and some foamies. For me, the 10% nitro cost for 45 min of flight is about the same the cost to drive in/out to the field (33 km), that's not much. The only main disadvantage I have with electric planes is the time required to charge the batteries from storage to full, about 2.5 hours for 6 packs. So I have to plan in advance, also I miss the morning flying in calm wind.
Happy landings !