PDA

View Full Version : Timber landing gear mod

Dougf
2019-09-22, 10:19 AM
The Timber gear springs are prone to failure from side loads which collapse the spring and wheel inwards. The gear spring is meant to absorb shock and flex from landing loads where the gear spreads outwards from the fuselage center line, but fails miserably at withstanding inward forces.

I have replaced the springs with a new set once already, and the new set is already showing signs of weakness. I was talking with Krish yesterday and his Turbo Timber gear spring is already very weak on one side.

Here is a link to a YouTube video which shows a strut mod to add stiffness to the gear under side load. If you want to skip the flying part of the video you can go to 5:10 for more detail on the mod. Happy landings
Doug

https://youtu.be/6xiUuP7d80g

Krish
2019-09-22, 02:57 PM
Hey Doug,

As you saw yesterday, it was impossible to land with the stock springs on the left side which was great on takeoff, but impossible to land without it collapsing, makin for a frustrating afternoon. On my return mid-October I will try this and he also mentioned a version 2 set of springs...Thanks for this...very helpful, I will also do this too, if cannot get the version 2 on my trip!